ADVERTISEMENT

So we all knew Bolin didnt have a strong arm..

The key is to keep Kill for next season, RS Lewis and prep him to start next year. Between Bolin and Gio hopefully we win 3 or 4 games this season.

Reactions: redking
Kind of tough getting a good throw off when the defense is in your face almost every play. UW disguised their blitzes well and pressured Bolin all game. I'll reserve judgement on his arm until he has a clean pocket more often.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
For deep passing to be successful, you need wide receivers who can shake off their defenders and a line that can hold their blocks to set up the long pass. The offensive line was simply not ready to do the latter because Udub has one of the best front 7 in the nation. I did not see evidence for the former as well. I am curious about to see this when we play against Eastern Michigan and Morgan State.

Reactions: MikeMikeC
And what's with the Washington DB running full speed towards the line of scrimmage just before the Snap?
Couldn't we extend the count and draw him offsides ???

He's not a dual threat, but overall played a good 1st game against a talented defense. See no reason to replace him.

Reactions: rutgersal
He's not a dual threat, but overall played a good 1st game against a talented defense. See no reason to replace him.

But I thought the qb carrying the ball was a part of this new-fangled offense ?

For every deep ball kill dials up, there are 10 short throws. I'll take a QB, that has a quick release and can hit a guy in stride. Accuracy is a bigger factor than arm strength based on our style of play.

And what's with the Washington DB running full speed towards the line of scrimmage just before the Snap?
Couldn't we extend the count and draw him offsides ???

I think they got caught twice for being offside.

The key is to keep Kill for next season, RS Lewis and prep him to start next year. Between Bolin and Gio hopefully we win 3 or 4 games this season.
Lewis will not RS. They will get him ready by getting him time this year.

Just got a text from a HUGE 'Bama alumnus friend of mine:

"Well Saban obviously still doesn't trust Hurts to throw the ball downfield..."

I laughed, then thought, "hmmmm...now that's not bad company to keep!"

:cool2:

But I thought the qb carrying the ball was a part of this new-fangled offense ?
I thought a running QB was boy wonder's offensive strategy last season, ths season Kill is making the O fit the personnel and Bolin is doing what Kill feels hes capable of and that's not being a dual threat in the Kill O

Reactions: MikeR0102 and czxqa
I thought a running QB was boy wonder's offensive strategy last season, ths season Kill is making the O fit the personnel and Bolin is doing what Kill feels hes capable of and that's not being a dual threat in the Kill O

...and maybe he didn't want his starting QB to get killed by one of the best, fastest, and biggest D's int he nation lol!

The passes were short most likely (as others stated): 1) Washington's strong D-line -it takes time to get open. 2) How long has it been since Bolin started a game? 2 years?... Not sure. Probably just giving the guy higher completion % throws to get back in stride.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My issue is that our young WRs beat very experienced DBs twice and both times were under thrown badly (we are lucky the DB fell down on the touchdown). In order for us to be successful those balls MUST start to be completed.

The pass to Bailey is designed that way.we threw it twice and he goes up the ladder pretty well for a small kid ala Tres Moses.

The last completion to Duwop across the hashes to the sideline had zip on it. They were in a zone by that time. Other than that I did not see too many receivers open on either team. I saw both QB's fitting passes in tight Windows and players making nice catches in tight coverage. Gaskin had a few of those. Washington and Duwop had a couple each. Pretty good football being played on both sides by both teams. But hey you guys should keep bitching about it.

The first INT was a poor decision. He slipped and threw wildly into coverage but Nakia fell down. If he doesn't fall the best we can hope for is he breaks up the ill advised pass. The second INT was also a bad decision. Threw into a tight window and the Safety was coming up as he threw. He may have telegraphed that one.

Overall he did a good job. He is leading a brand new group of kids in a brand new system and just got here in June. I give him a lot of credit.

The pass to Bailey is designed that way.we threw it twice and he goes up the ladder pretty well for a small kid ala Tres Moses.

The last completion to Duwop across the hashes to the sideline had zip on it. They were in a zone by that time. Other than that I did not see too many receivers open on either team. I saw both QB's fitting passes in tight Windows and players making nice catches in tight coverage. Gaskin had a few of those. Washington and Duwop had a couple each. Pretty good football being played on both sides by both teams. But hey you guys should keep bitching about it.

The first INT was a poor decision. He slipped and threw wildly into coverage but Nakia fell down. If he doesn't fall the best we can hope for is he breaks up the ill advised pass. The second INT was also a bad decision. Threw into a tight window and the Safety was coming up as he threw. He may have telegraphed that one.

Overall he did a good job. He is leading a brand new group of kids in a brand new system and just got here in June. I give him a lot of credit.
Correct. The pass to Bailey went 40 yards in the air and was lobbed on purpose. Bolin did not try to air it out. SO if can lob a ball 40 yards, he can probably throw over 50 when firing it.

He does not have a big arm, he's not much of a runner, so he needs to limit those mistakes. Thus those picks do stand out.

But it was a high level opponent, so he get's some slack from me.

Just because a QB underthrows a receiver doesn't mean he has a weak arm. Bolin doesn't have a canon but it's still better than Laviano arm.

Lavs arm looked strong enough when Carroo was out running patterns. He wasn't Teel or Nova but he got the ball out there for some big plays.

I liken Bolin to Hart but we have only seen one game so who really knows?

The kid hadn't played in a game in over two years and opens up against the number eight team in the country.

Most high school football QB's can throw it 40 yards.

The last thing we are going to have to worry about with Bolin is the occassional 60-yard bomb. And my guess is with time, he can make them anyway.

Obviously didn't watch game. Agreed one was bad. On the other the receiver fell down and ball passed right through where receiver woukd have been.

That guy literally might be the single worst post on these boards at this time. Maybe for a couple of years now, actually.

A new QB playing his 1st game with a bunch of new teammates who are playing in a new offense against the #8 team that had one of the best defenses in the country last year.

Anybody who knows anything about football (even Politi) said Bolin and the team played well and looked light-years better than last years 2-10 team. Yet, we still have people bitchin' and moanin'.

Can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: RU2055
Peyton Manning' s arm wasn' t that strong in his latter years but Denver went to Super Bowls with a strong running game and short passes. Bolin' s our man this year. We can win with him.

He looked pretty good to me. Should be even better with some games under his belt.
I guess we shouldn't expect much from him in the way of scrambling or carrying the ball.
Exactly
He should light it up this Saturday against Eastern Michigan.

A new QB playing his 1st game with a bunch of new teammates who are playing in a new offense against the #8 team that had one of the best defenses in the country last year.

Anybody who knows anything about football (even Politi) said Bolin and the team played well and looked light-years better than last years 2-10 team. Yet, we still have people bitchin' and moanin'.

Can't make this stuff up.
I'm used to it. Some of our "fans" would complain about the taxes they had to pay after winning the Lotto for 250 million. :scream:

Reactions: lighty and IMARUFAN
Bolin's arm is more than adequate for D1 football. That 4th quarter 20 yard out from the far hash is all you need to see.

Lol....now using manning as an example?

Bolin has weak arm, this was known but wow did it look like rubber

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT