ADVERTISEMENT

So who’s the QB come Sept. 1 after what we saw today?

Why didn't Lewis gain a bunch of weight so Ash could go to the Wildfat package?

There are a lot of reasons why. First is the new rule that let's players play up to 4 games and they can still redshirt. Second, why put a true freshman up against OSU. Play Gio and JLew if needed. Thirdly, I hate that we keep playing true freshman that are not ready. Fourth, we need to see what McNulty can do for the offense. Maybe Gio lights it up. Finally, we need to see what we have in the WR's. If Gio and JLew fail, then we need to bring him in.
Hint hint, Sit isn’t redshirting so it still
Makes zero sense for them to play him vs TSU and not against OSU...why not play Sit against OSU to get him some top level game experience especially when expectations are non existent...will make him that much more comfortable when playing the lesser B1G teams...

You hate that we keep playing true freshman by you want to throw him out there in the first game against TSU, so which is it? Make up your mind...

I think most can agree Gio isn’t the best fit for McNultys pro style offense, neither is JLew likely, neither has the arm strength and accuracy, based on the scrimmage not sure Sit has the accuracy right now either tho so maybe it’s possible McNulty is limited in the type of new offense he has been able to install

I don’t see how playing or not playing Sit has anything to do with seeing what RU has in the WRs...Gio isn’t a downfield passer and Lewis doesn’t have the accuracy in the medium passing game from what we’ve read...

This board must be filled with Phillies fans...turning on a kid after one mediocre scrimmage after the past 6 months of declaring him the clear cut starter (like Phillies fans an Cole Hamels)...hmmm...eerily similar to last year when the exact same thing happened with JLew at first he was the savior then by preseason camp everyone realized too much was put on him too quickly and he needed more development...why some of you guys don’t realize that Sitkowski while he has talent has a lot more developing to do is beyond me before he is a B1G QB...on the flip side Gio will never develop into being a B1G QB...so what do you guys want? To put a kid out on the field too early and potentially lose a winnable game early or throw Gio out there and hope the run game and defense can win the game that he manages and doesn’t make too many mistakes?

It was far from mediocre. About as far as one can get.
Ash has shown to be risk adverse and his safe bet is Gio. Art needs more time to develop.
He struggled in his senior year at IMG and lost his QB starting job to a walk on.
Working with McNulty will help him improve and hopefully step up in ‘19.

Makes zero sense for them to play him vs TSU and not against OSU...why not play Sit against OSU to get him some top level game experience especially when expectations are non existent...will make him that much more comfortable when playing the lesser B1G teams...

You hate that we keep playing true freshman by you want to throw him out there in the first game against TSU, so which is it? Make up your mind...

I think most can agree Gio isn’t the best fit for McNultys pro style offense, neither is JLew likely, neither has the arm strength and accuracy, based on the scrimmage not sure Sit has the accuracy right now either tho so maybe it’s possible McNulty is limited in the type of new offense he has been able to install

I don’t see how playing or not playing Sit has anything to do with seeing what RU has in the WRs...Gio isn’t a downfield passer and Lewis doesn’t have the accuracy in the medium passing game from what we’ve read...
I hope AS will be the QB of the future. I just don’t like throwing out true freshmen QB’s to the wolves unless they are heads and shoulders above. We don’t know what we are yet. I will have to trust the coaches at this point. My gut says Gio. With some JLew package. I don’t think Ash wants all the INT’s early.

Also, I don’t see the need to put AS in the OSU game since the schedule is soft early. Get him ready for the tough schedule at the end. Why kill any confidence now?

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
It was far from mediocre. About as far as one can get.
Ash has shown to be risk adverse and his safe bet is Gio. Art needs more time to develop.
He struggled in his senior year at IMG and lost his QB starting job to a walk on.
Working with McNulty will help him improve and hopefully step up in ‘19.
Ash also admitted that the OL was missing a lot (especially on Sit’s blind side)...if you’ve read the RU beat writers they all say it’s clear Sit has been the best since the spring, one scrimmage won’t change that perception(I highly doubt)

I hope AS will be the QB of the future. I just don’t like throwing out true freshmen QB’s to the wolves unless they are heads and shoulders above. We don’t know what we are yet. I will have to trust the coaches at this point. My gut says Gio. With some JLew package. I don’t think Ash wants all the INT’s early.

Also, I don’t see the need to put AS in the OSU game since the schedule is soft early. Get him ready for the tough schedule at the end. Why kill any confidence now?
I don’t see OSU killing any confidence when there are zero expectations (or their shouldn’t be any expectations, other than staying healthy)

Something to consider if Art isn't quite ready. Redshirt rule change means that Sitkowski can play in ANY four games and not lose a year of eligibility.

But hindsight is 20/20.
2016 was a cluster f with DM as OC. As much as some fans hated him, Laviano should have been the starter in an offense suited to his skill set. Gio sort of just emerged, but he was definitely the best choice for DM's offense. Ash seems to have loyalty to the previous year's starter, or a QB with experience.

2017- Bolin was a good choice. He had a body of work that was decent, and he was overtaken by a Heisman trophy winner at Louisville. Going in, I had some concern about his TD/INT ratio, but he was not a bad choice to be the starter.

2018- McNulty will get it right. From everything that has been reported, none of the 3 seems like a bad choice, and we can only tell when we see them in live action.

Agree with everything except your 2017 comment. Bolin was a horrible choice. The 2 practices I went to in the Summer I said what’s Bolin doing on the 1st team Offense? Anyone can see his accuracy on short and mid range passes was horrific. And down field passing ability was non existent. Should have been Gio from the start in ‘17.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Based on what we saw, Lewis no doubt. But that is not all that goes into the decision.

My uninformed 2¢.

Since they came, this staff, well Ash, seems to be looking for reason to not play Gio. I have NO doubts it is nothing personal. Gio is a good kid. It just amplifies, from Ash’s defensive mindset, that Gio has limitations. Most probably he has the lowest chance of success with the long ball - a key for McNulty. FWIW, I called for Gio to start last year - it’s football, all things being equal you go with the bigger guy.

One of the keys mentioned repeatedly by Ash/McNulty, control of the huddle. Again zero inside info, but it seems that this may be kinda pointing to Lewis. The little I have seen, his mechanics seem to be better. Can probably make a bit more types of throws than Gio, including a little better long ball.

Sit looks like he can make all the throws. But some will go to the other team. I just get the feeling that McNulty knows he NEEDS that mid to deep threat. And maybe Sit, even with the kiddie brain farts, has the best chance to make a few throws to get some quick scores, and just as important, keep the defense honest so that we can have a decent run game.

My guess, it’s Sit with Lewis a close 2nd.

Last edited:
I don’t see OSU killing any confidence when there are zero expectations (or their shouldn’t be any expectations, other than staying healthy)
The Buckeyes DL is considered the 2nd best in the country after Clemson. With our OL, I don’t think it’s wise to start a guy that is expected to be our future QB for the next 3 years.

My thought is that Gio starts first two games - all three see significant action in the first two games. Art becomes the starter as he is eased in - likely game three or perhaps four. There after two QBs see action in the remainder of the year barring injuries.

The fact that no one is head and shoulders above gio is not a good sign. Gio is a good back up/spark plug. Not a starting big time qb.
I remember when people said the same thing about Teel and Nova. Now everyone would kill for them.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The first McNulty guy had a few good players, too. Players already in the program. It’s going to be hard to judge old OC to new OC without Teel, Rice, Leonard, Britt, Underwood, etc...
I don't think anyone is looking for a return to the glory days of a 3,000 yd. passer, two 1,000 yd. receivers and a 2,000 yd. rusher just yet. Simply below average will do for now, considering we are coming off back to back historical ineptitude years.

This board must be filled with Phillies fans...turning on a kid after one mediocre scrimmage after the past 6 months of declaring him the clear cut starter

Art started like gang busters when there was little hitting....once he was under game like pressure, the competition evened up a lot, and he no longer looks anything like the clear cut starter..... the problems began before this practice.

Cole was limping on the sideline shortly after the scrimmage ensued. I don't know if he started the day that way. Not a good limp either.
Was it his plant foot? That could set him back in the QB competition.

Art started like gang busters when there was little hitting....once he was under game like pressure, the competition evened up a lot, and he no longer looks anything like the clear cut starter..... the problems began before this practice.
Wasn’t at the scrimmage but I doubt it was truly game like plus remember he didn’t play very much last year, he needs the game reps to get back in the groove.

I’ve been a proponent of redshirting him and starting Lewis but most on this board annointed Sit the savior and of that is the case then he needs to be out there to get that experience

If Ash does lose his job at some point down the line you can look at the QB position as a major factor in his demise. I am not that impressed in who we are recruiting and/or how they are being coached. I am not close enough to know which is more to blame, but the results have not been good and I am not getting a good feeling about this season as well. I had really hoped that one kid would have separated himself from the group at this point. but it doesn't appear to be the case and it sounds like the whole group is struggling.

I agree . As part of his plan he should have had an experienced quarterback ready going into year 3 as the schedule is favorable. It is mind boggling that wasn’t part of the plan.

2) He will get hurt within the first 3-4 games he plays by taken hits while scrambling. I hate to predict it but we’ve seen it time and again. By hook or by crook, Sitowski ends up taking over.
He's gotten hurt the last 2 years because we've had no protection and he has had to scramble. If that's the case, the other 2 will face the exact same circumstances. And I don't care who we're playing at QB, if we can't protect the QB in year 3, we've got major problems.
I remember when people said the same thing about Teel and Nova. Now everyone would kill for them.
Yep! How quickly people forget.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
I agree . As part of his plan he should have had an experienced quarterback ready going into year 3 as the schedule is favorable. It is mind boggling that wasn’t part of the plan.
And who would that QB be?
Who was on the roster when he took over that would have been here in year 3? That's right, nobody. OK, that's actually not true. I think Mike Dare would have been pretty good in McNulty's offense.

Tylin Oden--sometimes it is better to find out a player will not work out sooner rather than later.

J. Lewis- book is not closed on him yet.

Two new QBs on the roster who could be the future- Sit and Chatman.

Not really sure what you guys are expecting. Oden is on Ash, but teams cycle through QBs.

Reactions: RUScrew85
That walk on is about to win the starting job at Minnesota as a true frosh.
Well that is an interesting/encouraging development.

Still not into starting Sitkowski this year unless he is clearly the best guy. If its really close, I'd go with the Sr.

Most important thing is that we get to 6 wins...and basing by experience only Gio has that advantage over Sit....people need to chill with Sit, if he is not named the starter, its for a reason. So the first INT JLew or Gio throws dont be calling for Sit, the free Rettig nonsense was the most annoying thing ever, and when he finally did get in the game he was just as bad...

Was it his plant foot? That could set him back in the QB competition.

It depends on if he chooses to throw lefty or righty...he does a great job at both..but I suppose the defensive formation will dictate which arm he throws with. Kinda like a switch hitter facing a pitcher.

A buddy at the practice agrees. Said Sitkowski looked the worst of the three and is probably not the next "Saviour".
Your buddy is obviously a moron who has his entire career figured out after his 2nd scrimmage as true freshman

Reactions: Rokodesh

JLew doesn’t have the arm strength?

WTF are you talking about?

Gio is not the guy to take us to the promised land...BUT go back and look at the games where he was healthy and could run--it changed the dynamic of the D having toi account for that. When he was hobbled and had to throw, that was where he struggled. He's a tough kid.

I hope all 3 play with perhaps Lewis packages. No reason not to especially through week 2.

He's gotten hurt the last 2 years because we've had no protection and he has had to scramble. If that's the case, the other 2 will face the exact same circumstances. And I don't care who we're playing at QB, if we can't protect the QB in year 3, we've got major problems.

Yep! How quickly people forget.

To be factual, he’s gotten hurt on the scramble, not in the pocket. Agreed re: pass protection, but that’s not how he’s got hurt.

Will Art get us to 6 wins ?

And who would that QB be?
Who was on the roster when he took over that would have been here in year 3? That's right, nobody. OK, that's actually not true. I think Mike Dare would have been pretty good in McNulty's offense.

Tylin Oden--sometimes it is better to find out a player will not work out sooner rather than later.

J. Lewis- book is not closed on him yet.

Two new QBs on the roster who could be the future- Sit and Chatman.

Not really sure what you guys are expecting. Oden is on Ash, but teams cycle through QBs.

Last I checked ash gets paid 7 figures to find that guy.

Last I checked ash gets paid 7 figures to find that guy.
You make it seem so simple.
Year 1- It was not Oden. No loss. Gio stepped up in the broken offensive system.
Year 2- He tried with Bolin and moved to Gio. Not an offense to showcase the talents of a QB when OL seemingly could not protect.
Year 3- how about we wait until the year plays out before declaring defeat. I am not saying you are doing this, but boy, some fans on are on the ledge because our freshman QB does not look like the savior. Neither did Teel his freshman year, and Nova was very uneven until his senior year when he had the best OC we had since McNulty.

Since the team returns to practice on Tuesday , and HC ASH says he wants to get the starter a lot of reps before game week, I’m guessing the selection is named Tuesday. The QBS themselves probably will find out Monday.

After watching yesterday, I’m guessing it will be Sitkowski, based on number of reps, but wouldn’t be shocked by Gio either. Although, I was probably most impressed by Jonathan Lewis, and that’s who I’m pulling for.

Bowl baby! That’s the goal!
Camon now, why don't you really tells us how you feel about the QB decision that is looming.

And you know this how?
we still we still don't have a quarterback listed as number one do we? Two of the quarterbacks were on the roster last year and didn't do very well am I correct? One of the quarterbacks is a young kid already hailed as the Savior and apparently struggling against easy defense in the scrimmage. We can have this discussion again at the end of the year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT