ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer - top candidates

who do you want? This needs to be a marquee program in the Northeast!
If there is one sport we need to be aggressive with on spending for a coach, it is men’s soccer.

We’ll need to triple DD’s salary to find the right coach, but the dividends will pay off... and quickly.

We’re not talking about needing to come up with millions here either.

If there is one sport we need to be aggressive with on spending for a coach, it is men’s soccer.

We’ll need to triple DD’s salary to find the right coach, but the dividends will pay off... and quickly.

We’re not talking about needing to come up with millions here either.
$400k probably lands us a coach that makes RU a perennial tourney team.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I've gotta think we really need to go with someone who already has, or can easily make, major inroads to the NJ "club" programs since high school recruiting - as we saw the past decade now - mean very little. So either someone with a nationally known name, who can easily make inroads, or someone local ALREADY KNOWN to have very, very good ties to these clubs.

Am I off base?

OK, My list of potentially 'gettable' top assistant coach candidates is;

Mike Miller, UConn
Adam Bruh, Butler
Gavin Wyse, Fordham
Dane Brenner, WF

Full disclosure, I looked at the top asst. coaches from the last College Soccer News list and made my choices based on my gut when looking at where they went to school, how long they'd been at their current program, recruiting background, whether they'd be interested in an RU job and how likely it looked that they'd get the head coaching job at their current school any time soon, etc.etc. I think Miller is least likely but he'd be my top choice.

Interesting tidbit the average DI head soccer coach salary is less than $200K for whatever that's worth. Based on that I could see us bringing in someone approaching $200K plus incentives based on results.

https://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/articles/1168-top-assistant-coaches-2017

Reactions: RU040821
OK, My list of potentially 'gettable' top assistant coach candidates is;

Mike Miller, UConn
Adam Bruh, Butler
Gavin Wyse, Fordham
Dane Brenner, WF

Full disclosure, I looked at the top asst. coaches from the last College Soccer News list and made my choices based on my gut when looking at where they went to school, how long they'd been at their current program, recruiting background, whether they'd be interested in an RU job and how likely it looked that they'd get the head coaching job at their current school any time soon, etc.etc. I think Miller is least likely but he'd be my top choice.

Interesting tidbit the average DI head soccer coach salary is less than $200K for whatever that's worth. Based on that I could see us bringing in someone approaching $200K plus incentives based on results.

https://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/articles/1168-top-assistant-coaches-2017

Screw that; we MUST go higher than that IMHO. $250+ all-in!!!

I think we should go hard after the Monmouth Coach, McCourt. Offer him 400K and the money to build out a great staff (and take with him the assistants under him now).

In his 14 years at Monmouth as head coach, he is 82-25-28, and Monmouth was the conference regular season champs in 9 of those 14 years. That's amazing.

He had the team in the top 25 national rankings in 7 of those years, with a pair of top 10 finishes, including a high of #4 in 2010.

Sell him on the facility upgrade coming soon, a higher caliber league (Big Ten versus MAAC) and more than double his salary (I doubt he's making 200K a year) and see what he says.

Guys a winner as a HC and always has been.

I think we should go hard after the Monmouth Coach, McCourt. Offer him 400K and the money to build out a great staff (and take with him the assistants under him now).

In his 14 years at Monmouth as head coach, he is 82-25-28, and Monmouth was the conference regular season champs in 9 of those 14 years. That's amazing.

He had the team in the top 25 national rankings in 7 of those years, with a pair of top 10 finishes, including a high of #4 in 2010.

Sell him on the facility upgrade coming soon, a higher caliber league (Big Ten versus MAAC) and more than double his salary (I doubt he's making 200K a year) and see what he says.

I’ll go along with this for no other reason than Monmouth women beat our girls this year!?!?! They know something about soccer over there...

I've gotta think we really need to go with someone who already has, or can easily make, major inroads to the NJ "club" programs since high school recruiting - as we saw the past decade now - mean very little. So either someone with a nationally known name, who can easily make inroads, or someone local ALREADY KNOWN to have very, very good ties to these clubs.

Am I off base?
Recruiting high schools is most definitely an exercise in futility. Like basketball, the elite soccer players are playing in the club leagues just like AAU in hoops.

Uh, he's 2-14 this year and hasn't had a winning season in 3 years. He may just be done with the grind and doesn't give same effort. Not sure he'd be a great fundraiser for the program either, as the Monmouth golf outing is no frills. First one I showed up to with an extra $500 in my pocket to donate on different things and there was nothing to spend on. Didn't even sell Mulligans. Whole point to thing is to raise $ for the program, and nothing.

Please let's try to get someone with head coaching experience and success. We are on the B1G. Let's do what it takes to bring in a top person. In this case salary should not be a major problem...whether it be $200k or $300k which should be sufficiently attractive.

I've mentioned him a few times, would be a solid choice. He'd love the job, and thinks he could win a NC here. He's recruited 4 different NJ Players of the Year to a school with no scholarships.
They get grant money in their packages.

They get grant money in their packages.
Pretty sure they don't, but do get need based financial aid. Based on who and where they focus their recruiting, not sure too many kids qualify for much.

Oh, and the entire men's soccer budget to run the program on is less than $25K. Anything else they have to go out and raise.

Last edited:
Hubbard? He seems great but why would he come here? He’s having success but would be moving into tougher conference and he’s a NH native—so he doesn’t really have significant ties here that I know of . . . Has anyone heard anything at all about a short list or actual candidates who may have been interviewed yet? Is this info that the AD office will volunteer? Is there any journalist on this? How can we find out any info?

Hubbard? He seems great but why would he come here? He’s having success but would be moving into tougher conference and he’s a NH native—so he doesn’t really have significant ties here that I know of . . . Has anyone heard anything at all about a short list or actual candidates who may have been interviewed yet? Is this info that the AD office will volunteer? Is there any journalist on this? How can we find out any info?
Hobbs doesn’t let anything leak out.

no where near the same level of interest?
Yes. I understand that for sure, but it still doesn’t stand to reason that due to that fact Hobbs would just play it close to the vest. I mean what does he have to gain by not announcing who candidates are?

Yes. I understand that for sure, but it still doesn’t stand to reason that due to that fact Hobbs would just play it close to the vest. I mean what does he have to gain by not announcing who candidates are?

Because guys who are interested probably have current jobs and would prefer that their employers not know they are seeking a new position.

Let’s look at it as our athletic department being very picky about who they select.
Alternatively, let's look at is a serious question mark that an assistant coach with no HC experience is the leading candidate. Miller should be in the mix but I'd prefer a current HC. Hopefully, Miller works out because Hobbs can't whiff on this too.

Let’s look at it as our athletic department being very picky about who they select.
I’d love to, but have heard from two other coaches that Miller, while a good guy and an excellent recruiter is not really a good coach. That’s when he only has assistant responsibilities. Hopefully they are being picky enough that others are serious candidates.

I’d love to, but have heard from two other coaches that Miller, while a good guy and an excellent recruiter is not really a good coach. That’s when he only has assistant responsibilities. Hopefully they are being picky enough that others are serious candidates.

Don’t F this up, Hobbs

Who is Miller and how is it known that he is a front runner?
Never mind. I see now. The UConn asst. I’m all in for him. Resume looks great and strong assistant coaches with experience in solid programs seem like the kinds of candidates primed to step into HC positions. Local roots too, and it seems like he uses them-likely being ventral to snagging Diop from under Donigan’s nose. Also got Burnett from Montclair/Glenridge. If he’s really a top candidate, I think it’s promising.

Never mind. I see now. The UConn asst. I’m all in for him. Resume looks great and strong assistant coaches with experience in solid programs seem like the kinds of candidates primed to step into HC positions. Local roots too, and it seems like he uses them-likely being ventral to snagging Diop from under Donigan’s nose. Also got Burnett from Montclair/Glenridge. If he’s really a top candidate, I think it’s promising.
The key is that he’s known as an excellent recruiter. This is something that Chris Ash of football was never known as. What’s the one thing we’ve ALWAYS struggled at? It’s recruiting! Get Miller!

Reactions: ANewRU
I hear you on this but I don’t think that necessarily has to matter. I guess it partly depends on what is meant by “coach”—I mean are people saying he is not good at on the field tactical/technical coaching? If so, that seems like less of a concern (than saying he is not a very organized leader; isn’t really on top of things) and one that could be addressed by the way that MSOC coaching staffs are usually designed so that associate coaches are doing more of that hands on work. If Miller is indeed weaker in this area and knows it, it seems that he would address that in the construction of his staff. Personally, I’m happy with a head coach who is strong in recruiting, player development, and scouting opponents. It seems like he must be good in terms of having a sense of how these MSOC systems run-having experience at UConn, duke, and Syracuse.

I hear you on this but I don’t think that necessarily has to matter. I guess it partly depends on what is meant by “coach”—I mean are people saying he is not good at on the field tactical/technical coaching? If so, that seems like less of a concern (than saying he is not a very organized leader; isn’t really on top of things) and one that could be addressed by the way that MSOC coaching staffs are usually designed so that associate coaches are doing more of that hands on work. If Miller is indeed weaker in this area and knows it, it seems that he would address that in the construction of his staff. Personally, I’m happy with a head coach who is strong in recruiting, player development, and scouting opponents. It seems like he must be good in terms of having a sense of how these MSOC systems run-having experience at UConn, duke, and Syracuse.

Like most college sports, if it is a choice between the great tactician and great recruiter, give me the great recruiter. The other stuff can be learned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT