ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Greg Schiano left Patriots to return to Rutgers

Can’t wait till GS is named coach, I’m guessing at that time you’ll no longer be here.
Some of us are citing facts about Schiano, like his actual statistics and the things he failed to achieve in 11 years. And you're reacting like a child who learns Santa Clause isn't real.

Grow up.

I like Schiano as much as you do and I'm as grateful for what he did as you are. But we have a difference of opinion about his coaching ability in the Big Ten. Deal with it.

Considering you pulled the 25% figure out of your a**, you are arguing way too much about the significance of that number.

A lot of fans were not unhappy when Schiano left because. prior to learning how cheaply and badly they would handle hiring his replacement, there was a lot of hope Rutgers could get someone who did a better job on gameday.
He pulls a lot of shit out of his ass and then tries to cover it with laughably ridiculous bluster and nonsensical self-congratulatory crap. You just can't have a reasonable conversation about Schiano with some of our fans. They get offended when people cite statistics or point out that Schiano never won anything meaningful.

It's weird.

Reactions: RUfubar
Some of us are citing facts about Schiano, like his actual statistics and the things he failed to achieve in 11 years. And you're reacting like a child who learns Santa Clause isn't real.

Grow up.

I like Schiano as much as you do and I'm as grateful for what he did as you are. But we have a difference of opinion about his coaching ability in the Big Ten. Deal with it.
I’m dealing with it by loving it when he’s named coach and you have to STFU

Grow up.

That's a fair argument. He's not the perfect candidate. I think he's probably the best one we have a realistic shot at.

We need recruiting. Bad. He was national recruiter of the year his one year at OSU. He's recruited Rutgers better than any coach we've ever had. He's brought top 20 defenses to Rutgers. He's put more players in the NFL than any coach we've ever had.

When trying to kill Manning, while he was taking a knee at the end of a game, he couldn't win, what is his excuse for
that, today he would be called a piece of SHI.

It was called not giving up on a game until the final whistle. Its not like they were trying to "hurt the QB." They were trying to force an errant Center-QB exchange. I have no problem with that.

The ones who think Schiano is a done deal think he'll be named quite shortly or at the very least somewhere in season....if nothing happens until the end of the season does that mean then he won't be the coach and a full thorough search will be done?

Reactions: MoobyCow
He pulls a lot of shit out of his ass and then tries to cover it with laughably ridiculous bluster and nonsensical self-congratulatory crap. You just can't have a reasonable conversation about Schiano with some of our fans. They get offended when people cite statistics or point out that Schiano never won anything meaningful.

It's weird.

Who do you want?

So, I crushed you in the previous post, so you change the subject to largely irrelevant things. Like I said, I'll take 2006 over any of Jones's "conference championships" (2 in the MAC and 2 in the BE that were basically 2nd places, since on BCS bowls).

And who the eff cares about whether OSU won a national championship while Schiano was there? Nobody, it's irrelevant, as proven by your next comment about Ash, since we know how important that was for his success at RU.

Also, the only firing that was based on performance was Tampa Bay and that was questionable, since he had a great first year, but wasn't given enough time to turn that mess of a franchise around. And as you know, many great coaches have been fired at least once, including Nick Saban.
Nice deflection attempt but you failed to answer the questions. Tell you what, you're really struggling so I'll help you out and provide you with the answers:
  1. How many conference titles does Schiano have? Zero. Even Flood was able to do better with the same players. Hm.
  2. How many national championships as D coordinator with OSU? Zero. Even Ash, the guy we just fired, was able to do better. And did so with fewer seasons.
  3. How many times has he been fired lately? Three times. Schiano was fired from Tampa Bay after just two years. They paid him millions to go away. He was that bad. He was effectively hired then fired before he even started at Tennessee. And he was fired from Ohio State. And who knows WTF happened with the Patriots.
Okay, go ahead and write a thousand word essay full of BS excuses, useless bluster combined with sadly self-congratulatory egoism. Surely doing that will alter the facts.

Your boy built up the RU program from nothing. That was great. Stick with that because it's actually true.

But that's also where it ends. He had one really good and notable season in 2006. And was never able to repeat that. Another inconvenient fact for which I'm sure you will invent another dozen excuses.

We deserve a good coach who has won wherever he's been and doesn't need a book full of excuses to explain all his failures to get even one conference title in 11 years.

Who do you want?
Of the names that have been bandied about here, Jones. But honestly, anybody who has experience as a head coach with a lifetime winning record who has demonstrated the ability to go all the way to a conference title more than once.

Jones won conference titles 4 times. Even if he did it with a program he inherited from someone else, he could've screwed it up and not won those titles. Like Schiano screwed up in 2006 when he didn't win the Big East despite how good our team was, for example.

I want a winner. Because winning in the Big Ten East is always going to be extremely difficult and winners find a way to win while losers find a way to lose.

Nice deflection attempt but you failed to answer the questions. Tell you what, you're really struggling so I'll help you out and provide you with the answers:
  1. How many conference titles does Schiano have? Zero. Even Flood was able to do better with the same players. Hm.
  2. How many national championships as D coordinator with OSU? Zero. Even Ash, the guy we just fired, was able to do better. And did so with fewer seasons.
  3. How many times has he been fired lately? Three times. Schiano was fired from Tampa Bay after just two years. They paid him millions to go away. He was that bad. He was effectively hired then fired before he even started at Tennessee. And he was fired from Ohio State. And who knows WTF happened with the Patriots.
Okay, go ahead and write a thousand word essay full of BS excuses, useless bluster combined with sadly self-congratulatory egoism. Surely doing that will alter the facts.

Your boy built up the RU program from nothing. That was great. Stick with that because it's actually true.

But that's also where it ends. He had one really good and notable season in 2006. And was never able to repeat that. Another inconvenient fact for which I'm sure you will invent another dozen excuses.

We deserve a good coach who has won wherever he's been and doesn't need a book full of excuses to explain all his failures to get even one conference title in 11 years.
Broken Record

Last edited:
Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Of the names that have been bandied about here, Jones. But honestly, anybody who has experience as a head coach with a lifetime winning record who has demonstrated the ability to go all the way to a conference title more than once.

Jones won conference titles 4 times. Even if he did it with a program he inherited from someone else, he could've screwed it up and not won those titles. Like Schiano screwed up in 2006 when he didn't win the Big East despite how good our team was, for example.

I want a winner. Because winning in the Big Ten East is always going to be extremely difficult and winners find a way to win while losers find a way to lose.

I would be okay with Jones. I think GS is a safer choice given our deficiencies at the moment. Either will be a massive improvement over what we have seen the last 7 years.

Reactions: RURM85
I would be okay with Jones. I think GS is a safer choice given our deficiencies at the moment. Either will be a massive improvement over what we have seen the last 7 years.
I'm open to other coaches as well. I just hope Hobbs looks wide and far rather than feeling constrained in any way. I also hope Hobbs asks for references among former and potentially new assistants. So that he can try to gauge the quality of the staff the new coach might be able to bring to RU.

I have no idea which of the coaches, whose names have been bandied about here, can recruit the best staff to RU. But that sure seems very critical to having success. So if there's any way to gain insight into that, I hope Hobbs does so.

It was called not giving up on a game until the final whistle. Its not like they were trying to "hurt the QB." They were trying to force an errant Center-QB exchange. I have no problem with that.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem, to remember the days when he would have these unbelievable losses, and this board
would have a thousand posts criticizing him, furious, and you were leading the pack calling for his head, what happened to
change your mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem, to remember the days when he would have these unbelievable losses, and this board
would have a thousand posts criticizing him, furious, and you were leading the pack calling for his head, what happened to
change your mind.

Pretty sure you are remembering wrong. I definitely wasn't leading a pack calling for his head.

I will say this, I do not think GS is a slam dunk success the second go 'round. I do think he brings the personality and recruiting that we need in whoever is next head coach. He would also bring the intensity and attention to detail. Will that be enough? I don't know, but its a safe choice to limit how far we can bottom out.

I'm open to other coaches as well. I just hope Hobbs looks wide and far rather than feeling constrained in any way. I also hope Hobbs asks for references among former and potentially new assistants. So that he can try to gauge the quality of the staff the new coach might be able to bring to RU.

I have no idea which of the coaches, whose names have been bandied about here, can recruit the best staff to RU. But that sure seems very critical to having success. So if there's any way to gain insight into that, I hope Hobbs does so.

I love how Schiano is so in your head. You are beside yourself.

Ha ha ha. So great.

most of these negative "opinions" about Schiano based on his time at RU are meaningless--he can recruit, has a "national" and NJ name that actually grew in statue in recent years,and being in the BIG will be a tremendous asset for him even though teams are better--when he left RU we lost a big asset---people who just like to bitch are some of the same bitching now--we'd be lucky to get Schiano to come back --heck I must have read here hundreds of times how screwed we'd be if he got a head coaching job elsewhere and how a NJ guy is what we need--he's a pretty safe choice

Zero. Even Flood was able to do better with the same players. Hm.

That and so much else you cite as facts are not- they are your opinions.

Flawed at that.

The butch jones love is quite a thing to see. Might want to see about that tenn tenure and really look at those coaching moves.

Meh i dont believe this item because why wouldnt they hire him right then

Because it was Schiano making himself available, not Rutgers hiring somebody. I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago, comparing it to Wenzel taking the NJ Nets assistant job and giving up the Jacksonville head coaching job -- where they LOVED him -- so he could be near Rutgers when Littlepage inevitably got fired the following year.

Makes perfect sense. Rutgers was not looking to hire a coach "right then."

He did allow Rutgers to be a losing team, his regular season was 2 games below 500 and that is a losing season.
It could have would have been much worse, the only thing he accomplished was to weaken the ooc schedule every year, and then
combine that with the teams that left the conference, and you got a real loser.
The 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2012 defenses say you're smoking something crazy.

The ones who think Schiano is a done deal think he'll be named quite shortly or at the very least somewhere in season....if nothing happens until the end of the season does that mean then he won't be the coach and a full thorough search will be done?

Can anyone address this question?

Where did they not work out? He had a winning record everywhere.

At TN, he went 5-7, then 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, 4-6 (fired). Total stats: 34-27 over 5 seasons. His conference record in the SEC wasn't great, but they haven't done any better since he left either. And he managed to win conference championships 4 times. Winning is habit forming and elusive. But he did it.

To compare, Schiano never won anything. Was only 1 game over .500 lifetime, and well under .500 in conference play (Big East, not SEC). He had a full 11 years and in his last four, was under .500 in conference.

So... neither coach was perfect. But one seemed to objectively do better. And one is more offensive minded, which would be a nice change after Schiano and Ash (discounting Flood who had no pedigree to speak of).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to hire Urban Meyer and pay him whatever it takes. But I don't think that's realistic.
You keep saying last 4 he was under 0.500 in conference without mentioning that he was 1-6 in the year of EL injury. We all know the toll that took on GS and the entire program.

Here is Greg's last 7 yrs in conference:

4-3
5-2
3-4
5-2
3-4
1-6
4-3

25-24 and minus the EL season it was 24-18. In fact, if you look at it rationally, GS averaged 4-3 in 2005-2009 + 2011 and every season was +- 1 win off of that average. The only outlier was 2010 at 1-6 and that included 0-6 after EL injury. Since I want to talk rationally about GS, I see him as a guy who roughly went 4-3 each year in a Big East conference that included WVU, Louisville, Cincy, Pitt and Syracuse. He was a good coach and considering he did that here at Rutgers, I would say that it was very good.

I found this on 2010 season:
"The EL tragedy clearly affected the team's play: While they held on to defeat Army and raise their record to 4-2, when in the aftermath of that game the extent of LeGrand's injury became apparent, it contributed to sending RU into a funk that resulted in a six-game losing streak to end the season."

Last edited:
Reactions: MidwestKnights
Pretty sure you are remembering wrong. I definitely wasn't leading a pack calling for his head.

I will say this, I do not think GS is a slam dunk success the second go 'round. I do think he brings the personality and recruiting that we need in whoever is next head coach. He would also bring the intensity and attention to detail. Will that be enough? I don't know, but its a safe choice to limit how far we can bottom out.
You know, when we first went to the big 10, I thought there might be could be some recruits that could not make Ohio State etc.
that would settle for Rutgers, but now I don't know.

Sorry for the comments about leading the pack calling for his head, that was meant for
Zappa and I must have hit the wrong button.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
You keep saying last 4 he was under 0.500 in conference without mentioning that he was 1-6 in the year of EL injury. We all know the toll that took on GS and the entire program.

4-3
5-2
3-4
5-2
3-4
1-6
4-3

25-24 and minus the EL season it was 24-18. In fact, if you look at it rationally, GS averaged 4-3 in 2005-2009 + 2011 and every season was +- 1 win off of that average. The only outlier was 2010 at 1-6 and that included 0-6 after EL injury. Since I want to talk rationally about GS, I see him as a guy who roughly went 4-3 each year in a Big East conference that included WVU, Louisville, Cincy, Pitt and Syracuse. He was a good coach and considering he did that here at Rutgers, I would say that it was very good.

I found this on 201 season:
"The EL tragedy clearly affected the team's play: While they held on to defeat Army and raise their record to 4-2, when in the aftermath of that game the extent of LeGrand's injury became apparent, it contributed to sending RU into a funk that resulted in a six-game losing streak to end the season."

We lost to tulane before the EL injury. Maybe we get another win or two out of that season, but that team was always going to suck.

4-3
5-2
3-4
5-2
3-4
1-6
4-3

I found this on 201 season:
One other point on Greg.
Other than a game or two per year (excluding 2010) his margin of losses was small the last several years:
Losses by year:
2011: 24-22; 16-14; 41-31; 40-22
2010: 17-13; 17-14; 41-21; 28-27; 13-10; 69-38; 40-13; 35-14
2009: 47-15; 24-17; 31-13; 24-21
2008: 24-7; 44-12; 23-21; 24-17; 13-10
2007: 34-24; 28-23; 31-3; 28-19; 41-38

Games were rare when fans thought that the game was over in the first quarter or first half.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Yes, thanks for confirming what I was saying. Every year the schedule got weaker the defense looked better. Thanks again.
The support feels good.

Yeah, it was the schedule, we never competed against ranked teams...

"In addition to beating #2 USF in 2007 and #3 Louisville in 2006, Rutgers shocked Michigan State in 2004, scared #1 Miami for three quarters in 2002, and despite entering the game at 2-5, Rutgers beat the snot out of 17th ranked Pitt in 2008."

Have already made all my points, which destroy your points and as I said before your points above are largely irrelevant. Plus, you simply have very little understanding of football, which is why you're unable to comprehend my detailed analyses in previous posts. Proof of that is you were the guy who lost a bet to me when you insisted the end zones were 12 yards deep, not 10 yards deep. Maybe stick to posts about hookers, blow, and sheep and maybe wrestling and soccer, when it comes to sports, since you played those, not football.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
It’s amazing to me that certain posters only focus on the negatives with GS but seemingly over look them with other candidates. Every candidate is flawed. Start with that premise and go from there.

If you like Jones, great, he’s a solid coach who did well at Cincy and I thought did a good job at Tenn. Of course, you could easily say that Jones failed at Tenn because they fell off the cliff in year 4 and he didn’t really have any notable wins. But, again, I don’t just look at negatives.

Have already made all my points, which destroy your points and as I said before your points above are largely irrelevant. Plus, you simply have very little understanding of football, which is why you're unable to comprehend my detailed analyses in previous posts. Proof of that is you were the guy who lost a bet to me when you insisted the end zones were 12 yards deep, not 10 yards deep. Maybe stick to posts about hookers, blow, and sheep and maybe wrestling and soccer, when it comes to sports, since you played those, not football.
Self-congratulatory bluster. Did not read.

I had heard last summer from someone on the Ash staff that Schiano was eventually going to come back. At the time I didn’t think much of it but there have been many stories of former players and people close to the program that always felt the same way. It seems like Greg really wants this. His motivation level must be through the roof.

Perspective is always interesting. I saw a big UT booster friend this weekend. A guy that wanted no part of Schiano. He said he’d take Schiano over Jones in a second. Believes Jones supposed interest is basically a giving Greg the “buddy ****” over Greg taking the UT job.

That and so much else you cite as facts are not- they are your opinions.

Flawed at that.

The butch jones love is quite a thing to see. Might want to see about that tenn tenure and really look at those coaching moves.
I've been citing incontrovertible facts about Schiano. My opinion is that these facts point to Schiano not being such a great coach. You can claim the facts I'm citing are irrelevant to you. Or that the positive facts outweigh the negative facts. Or you can make lots of excuses for why the facts are what they are.

But claims that facts aren't facts won't win you many arguments, except, perhaps in your own head.

Also, I do not love or hate any sports coaches and never will. I don't really understand how people form such strong emotional feelings for coaches. It's a job; a business. It's not personal. I have no hatred for GS and no love for Butch Jones.

I simply want the best possible coach for RU and, in my opinion, the facts don't point at Schiano being the best possible coach. For me, it's an intellectual exercise on the internet; not a betrayal of love.

My God- the back and forth on Greg is amazing. Love him and he did no wrong and will lead us to the promised land. Hate him and beside building a program, he did nothing else right.
The reality falls in between.
Deserves the stadium named after him because he is responsible for building the program.
Built a good roster of players without the benefit of high ranked classes.
Could have his teams able to win against anyone.
Could have his teams lose against anyone
Did not recruit well enough for such a great recruiting area and in later years when he ranked higher, never filled his team correctly.
Great motivator but not so great x/o or halftime guy.
.500 record but come on guys...you really do need to judge post 2004 or 05. Then it changes the story
Never won the BE but he had mult years at 5-2 which would have won it in different years.
Weak record 1 st games of year but give him time to prepare for a bowl game...very strong
Left us for the NFL- never forgive him! Left us for a dream job at the highest level of his profession that only 32 people in the world have. Can’t really fault him.
Fired- only legit firing was TB...would he have been fired if the Meyer incident and retirement didn’t happen? And NE doesn’t count
The future- no one knows. Can only say that if it is him...he and the team won’t embarrass us. We will be better then we are and we will be better via the eyeball test.
But is that enough...

Never able to repeat it? For someone who likes facts, you sure go out of your way to ignore the way he threw it into overdrive at the end of his tenure and left Flood with a team that he surely would have won the conference with. Recruiting classes that were the best in school history. The program dipped rather badly after 2006 but he brought it back. That's a fact.

Other important fact is what has any other coach here done, in comparison? Who delivered results so far beyond what any other coach has its not even comparable?

There are no facts to define how hard it is to win here, only that six failed and one went to the NFL on a promotion. Based on those facts, I say, "Stop fantasizing about a savior and hire the guy who gets us from laughing stock to middling, the quickest." That's Schiano.

Never able to repeat it? For someone who likes facts, you sure go out of your way to ignore the way he threw it into overdrive at the end of his tenure and left Flood with a team that he surely would have won the conference with. Recruiting classes that were the best in school history. The program dipped rather badly after 2006 but he brought it back. That's a fact.

Maybe. That team was no better positioned than the 2008 team. Schiano left the cupboard very full for Flood, but let's not pretend he didn't also have a knack for finding unexpected ways to lose.

Ha ha ha — roasted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT