ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Greg Schiano left Patriots to return to Rutgers

Maybe. That team was no better positioned than the 2008 team. Schiano left the cupboard very full for Flood, but let's not pretend he didn't also have a knack for finding unexpected ways to lose.
There are two universes. One in which Rutgers is a competitive team that is perhaps a better coach away from winning a game or two more a year. The other universe is Rutgers is a laughingstock and one of the worst teams in college football.

That second universe is where I've seent the better part of 40 years living in. I remember when Playboy was a magazine sitting around every dorm room on campus and we'd be the headliner on its 25 worst college football teams, EVERY YEAR! Its actually worse now than ever.

We have to get out of this universe and back to the other. I can argue with you that Schiano didn't drop that ball in 2006 vs. WVU to get that championship. Or that he surely would have blitzed the snot out of that broken down Bridgewater and won that game to get his championship...but it doesn't matter. All that matters is getting back to a competitive team universe and going from there.

I really think Greg will exceed expectations in round two. He will instantly be the senior alpha on the recruiting trail within conference. A guy whose been everywhere, produced so many NFL players, a guy who is going to make a kid the best football player he can be. That sells. That competes against the crowds at PSU and Franklin's BS. It competes against the personality less assistant coaching OSU...he can just mitigate so much of what we lack. so much of the damage that's been done since he left.

Michigan hasn't won the Big Ten since 2005. They haven't even won the B1G East division ever. So lets not even think about that for now.

I just want to NOT be the worse Power 5 team.
I just want to NOT be the worse Big Ten team.
I just want to NOT be the worse team in our division.
I just want to play in ANY bowl game.

Lets get to that point FIRST, then we can have fun talking about how to take the next step.

Right now we have hit ROCK BOTTOM. I just want to start digging out of this massive hole ASAP. Firing ASH was the 1st step.

There are two universes. One in which Rutgers is a competitive team that is perhaps a better coach away from winning a game or two more a year. The other universe is Rutgers is a laughingstock and one of the worst teams in college football.

That second universe is where I've seent the better part of 40 years living in. I remember when Playboy was a magazine sitting around every dorm room on campus and we'd be the headliner on its 25 worst college football teams, EVERY YEAR! Its actually worse now than ever.

We have to get out of this universe and back to the other. That's all that matters right now. I can argue with you that Schiano didn't drop that ball in 2006 vs. WVU to get that championship. Or that he surely would have blitzed the snot out of that broken down Bridgewater and won that game to get his championship...but it doesn't matter. All that matters is getting back to a competitive team universe and going from there.

I really think Greg will exceed expectations in round two. He will instantly be the senior alpha on the recruiting trail within conference. A guy whose been everywhere, produced so many NFL players, a guy who is going to make a kid the best football player he can be. That sells. That competes against the crowds at PSU and Franklin's BS. It competes against the personality less assistant coaching OSU...he can just mitigate so much of what we lack. so much of the damage that's been done since he left.

I'm not exactly sure what in my post led you to respond with this. I have no argument with the idea that Schiano makes us competitive, and that this program needs that. I was simply pointing out that a conf championship was not some guarantee in 2012 with Schiano as a coach as he sometimes didn't beat all the teams you'd expect him to.

Lots of people have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks trying to convince me of things I already believe.

I'm not exactly sure what in my post led you to respond with this. I have no argument with the idea that Schiano makes us competitive, and that this program needs that. I was simply pointing out that a conf championship was not some guarantee in 2012 with Schiano as a coach as he sometimes didn't beat all the teams you'd expect him to.

Lots of people have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks trying to convince me of things I already believe.
Probably because there are a lot of other people doing the Schiano nitpicking as if we're not in a huge hole right now and competitive/vs championship is relevant, at all.

I can't imagine a reason why that 2012 team would not have been better with the staff that left for Tampa vs. the one Flood assembled. But we'll never know...

Probably because there are a lot of other people doing the Schiano nitpicking as if we're not in a huge hole right now and competitive/vs championship is relevant, at all.

I can't imagine a reason why that 2012 team would not have been better with the staff that left for Tampa vs. the one Flood assembled. But we'll never know...What's irrefutable is it was a big east championship caliber team.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. And what if, additionally, folks close to the situation noticed Ash just wasn’t into it, was really frustrated, hated being in NJ, etc.? That would prompt the key stakeholders to start reaching out.
Posters on the OSU board said that people close to GS from OSU said that the New England hire was nothing more than a rehabilitation hire to get the unhireable label of him after the Tennessee debacle. They said that Greg stepping down shorty after being hired was prearranged between GS and Belichick. Belichick helped GS out if that is true. Discussion about GS never getting an HC job stopped. after that. .

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I was one of those fans.

Now, at this point, I do think he brings instant credibility back to the program. He might not have a high ceiling, again going with the notion that he will only take a program so far, but I think his floor is very high. He's built a college program from similar depths, he knows our area, he has name recognition, he's been an NFL coach, he worked under Urban, he's likely more open to the idea of a spread offense, Belichek gave him a job(even if it never came to be), he has the back of a large segment of the fanbase, not only from his big supporters, but also from those like me who would now welcome him back.
I am kind of in the same boat. I thought that the major thing that help him back was that he was unable to hire/retain enough good assistant coaches mainly because RU would not pay enough. I'm talking about killer recruiters/personalities.

We saw how GS's recruiting bumped up the last couple of years when he was able to bring over some assistants from Pitt. A couple of those guys were killer recruiters. GS was able to get RU to pony up more money for assistants for those guys from Pitt, and we saw the benefits from that right away. Just think if GS was able to hire good established .assistants while he was recruiting as a Big10 coach.

RU started paying assistants better when KF took over so I am hoping that whomever is hired will have the money to bring in top notch assistants that have a rep as being great recruiters. The HC has to be a closer, but he is lost without ace recruiters as assistants.,

Mildone--You are espousing your opinion and not facts-and trying to pass them off as facts.

Flood had a boatload of 5th year seniors --GS didnt have that. They were not the same teams. Similar but as 5th year seniors some vbery impt lb's played like never before. You stated it as fact. It's not. It's an opinion they were the same (an incorrect one ). Plenty of other such examples.

I replied as you are one of a handful, and perhaps the most prominent, with these misleading posts. You have a huge thing for GS and you state you don't. Your posts refute that. Imagine we will see the usual retort that everyone but you is fixated on GS but your posting history tells the exact opposite.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
2012 team was loaded on defense but not much on offense. While Flood may have lost the L'Ville game(and it never should have came to that. That game was taken away from us but we should have found a way to stop TB) KS was without a doubt his WTF but Greg always had a WTF too so maybe that is the Cincy game. Who knows- but my gut tells me Greg would have found his way to 5-2 as well. Greg's 2006 and 2008 teams were most likely more talented across all 3 groups than the 2012 team was.
2008 team was by far the best all around team we fielded.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Due diligence. Anything can happen, even thought Rutgers wants Schiano and he wants to come, things can come up from the outside or in the negotiations and the deal doesn't get done.
That is likely fair. If it is not already a done deal I don't "get it".

- Is announcing a coaching change and interviewing a wider field of candidates a way to gain leverage on GS?

- Is GS holding out for specific guarantees? He did have conditions BM had to satisfy re: micromanaging the first go-round

- Is firing Ash and McNulty now resulting in MORE leverage for GS?

- Are we going to go through a period of "this guy is a candidate".. "oh he's saying he's not interested" thing? Who does that help? With each candidate removing himself remaining candidates get more leverage.

This should have been a done deal before firing Ash.. but I guess the pressure of NOT firing Ash was getting to Hobbs.

Hmmm.. perhaps Hobbs firing McNulty was something GS would have wanted rather than GS having to fire his old OC.... hmmmmm

Last edited:
I just want to NOT be the worse Power 5 team.
I just want to NOT be the worse Big Ten team.
I just want to NOT be the worse team in our division.
I just want to play in ANY bowl game.

Lets get to that point FIRST, then we can have fun talking about how to take the next step.
Now that's properly setting expectations. Well done! GS found a way to get us beyond that and Flood and Ash just tossed it all to the curb. So we are starting over... in a tougher conference... but with more upside when we get to bowls.

Sources told FootballScoop in recent days that Schiano left his post back in New England in order to make himself available to return to Rutgers as the Scarlet Knights’ head coach. Sources said Rutgers made it clear to Schiano at the time he will be the choice to replace Chris Ash once the position became available.

Sources said that Schiano informed Bill Belichick of his intention to return to Piscataway, and that Belichick immediately recognized a late November/early December departure would be incompatible with the Patriots’ schedule. The two came to a mutual understanding that the right thing to do for both sides was for Schiano to resign at that time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-greg-schiano-left-patriots-return-rutgers/

My saucers tell me he left because the players don't like him. They didn't like him in Tampa and with a few exceptions, they didn't like him in New England. He's a pariah in the NFL and will never work there again. For 60 minutes every Sunday they're smashing each other but there's a "brotherhood". RU had nothing to do with his temporary job.
By the way, my tea leaves, Tarot cards and Madam Teresa down in Waycross concur.

My saucers tell me he left because the players don't like him. They didn't like him in Tampa and with a few exceptions, they didn't like him in New England. He's a pariah in the NFL and will never work there again. For 60 minutes every Sunday they're smashing each other but there's a "brotherhood". RU had nothing to do with his temporary job.
By the way, my tea leaves, Tarot cards and Madam Teresa down in Waycross concur.
That's a damn good trick. Having players not like you when you never coached them.

Sources told FootballScoop in recent days that Schiano left his post back in New England in order to make himself available to return to Rutgers as the Scarlet Knights’ head coach. Sources said Rutgers made it clear to Schiano at the time he will be the choice to replace Chris Ash once the position became available.

Sources said that Schiano informed Bill Belichick of his intention to return to Piscataway, and that Belichick immediately recognized a late November/early December departure would be incompatible with the Patriots’ schedule. The two came to a mutual understanding that the right thing to do for both sides was for Schiano to resign at that time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-greg-schiano-left-patriots-return-rutgers/

Might just have been true

Might just have been true

Disagree that he is the best choice. Jones has a better overall record and has won 4 championships.
once jones had his own recruits at tenn he failed miserably and has not gotten a sniff from any P5 program

once jones had his own recruits at tenn he failed miserably and has not gotten a sniff from any P5 program
Seems moot now, if the reports of Jones withdrawing his name are true.

But... Jones has a better average win percentage at TN than Schiano had at RU. And way better than what Schiano had at TB.

And Jones won four championships to Schiano's zero.

So... yeah. You are what your record says you are.

Reactions: R1776U
Seems moot now, if the reports of Jones withdrawing his name are true.

But... Jones has a better average win percentage at TN than Schiano had at RU. And way better than what Schiano had at TB.

And Jones won four championships to Schiano's zero.

So... yeah. You are what your record says you are.

Trolling again? Greg was 56-33/25-24 in conference (in a conference that was the computer equal of the B1G for those years) his last 7 years, including 5-1 in bowls, after rescuing the program and the team from a far deeper abyss than we're in now. Jones never rescued any program, unlike Greg, and the only place he stayed at ended up firing him (TN), whereas Greg left RU on a high note. He was also fired after a record at TB that was better than his predecessor's and better than his successor's, so even though it wasn't great, a big part of that is franchise ineptitude. I'll take Greg over Jones every day.

Good luck with Schiano. I hope he can do a decent job. Was not impressed with his Big East tenure. Will be much more daunting in the B1G. But I wish you all good luck.

Reactions: mildone
Trolling again? Greg was 56-33/25-24 in conference (in a conference that was the computer equal of the B1G for those years) his last 7 years, including 5-1 in bowls, after rescuing the program and the team from a far deeper abyss than we're in now. Jones never rescued any program, unlike Greg, and the only place he stayed at ended up firing him (TN), whereas Greg left RU on a high note. He was also fired after a record at TB that was better than his predecessor's and better than his successor's, so even though it wasn't great, a big part of that is franchise ineptitude. I'll take Greg over Jones every day.
That's because (a) you're applying all kinds of favorable judgement to what GS did here while withholding the same from Jones, and (b) you're unable to overcome your familiarity bias.

It's okay. I still love you. :)

Good luck with Schiano. I hope he can do a decent job. Was not impressed with his Big East tenure. Will be much more daunting in the B1G. But I wish you all good luck.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we're going to need a lot of good luck, in addition to above extremely good coaching, to get things turned around.

That's because (a) you're applying all kinds of favorable judgement to what GS did here while withholding the same from Jones, and (b) you're unable to overcome your familiarity bias.

It's okay. I still love you. :)
Sorry, you know it's coming...

You're Wrong!!!

And at least I can spell. At the very least, this likely keeps our tailgate from falling apart, lol.

I said that when he left NE. And right after Ash was fired that was the reason he left.
A couple of big hints when he was at NE. He was never announced as DC for the Patriots. He never signed a contract. So you knew something was up. He never resigned as he never had a job.
His excuse for leaving was pretty lame too.

Agree.

Reactions: RU848789

Is this really news ? No offense but I think most on these boards knew about that at the time.

I said that when he left NE. And right after Ash was fired that was the reason he left.
A couple of big hints when he was at NE. He was never announced as DC for the Patriots. He never signed a contract. So you knew something was up. He never resigned as he never had a job.
His excuse for leaving was pretty lame too.
G.S. left New England not because of the possibility of taking RU job but for some other reasons that only a few are aware of. The real reason will come out one day but it wasn’t because of RU. Remember there is only room for one boss in New England and his name is Belichick.

G.S. left New England not because of the possibility of taking RU job but for some other reasons that only a few are aware of. The real reason will come out one day but it wasn’t because of RU. Remember there is only room for one boss in New England and his name is Belichick.
You know nothing.

I havent read all the pages but just my opinion of the story. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
First, even if true, why in the Fvk didn't we just fire Ash at that time and bring Greg in...Was the grand plan to let Ash make a joke of Rutgers for another half a season and then F around for months before making the change after they do fire Ash? And somehow Greg and his agent thought this was a good idea with nothing in writing?
And if all true- then I fire Hobbs immediately as he cluster Fvked the whole thing and I would question Greg's mental capacity

So he QUIT THE NFL... The TOP OF THE PROFESSION that ALL HS AND COLLEGE COACHES would leave for by any means neccessary, including a week before Signing Day???

I havent read all the pages but just my opinion of the story. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
First, even if true, why in the Fvk didn't we just fire Ash at that time and bring Greg in...Was the grand plan to let Ash make a joke of Rutgers for another half a season and then F around for months before making the change after they do fire Ash? And somehow Greg and his agent thought this was a good idea with nothing in writing?
And if all true- then I fire Hobbs immediately as he cluster Fvked the whole thing and I would question Greg's mental capacity
I don't think Greg was ever going to coach in New England. I think he needed to get out from OSU ( he'd be forced out otherwise), hes close with a Belicheck, so the plan all along was to announce NE with idea he'd resign short time thereafter. Lets him save face, and prob helps him with future CFB coaching opportunities because, other than this board, no one would know or care about these things.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Tampa Bay,Lovie Smith was 8-24 at Tampa. maybe Tampa is the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT