ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer lack of impact & breakdown overall

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Here is the actual breakdown of the lack of impact on the game and how shooting percentages, can fool fans into thinking a player is better than reality.

Here are the stats or lazy way to look at stats....

A) but he shot 43% from 3.....!!

B) but he shot 90% from the FT line....!!

Please look at RU results and look at a game by game stats.....he only shot 85 FTs in 34 games (he made 76 out of the 85 attempts)....that looks like less than 3 per game BUT......the numbers are actually worse than that.

He shot 8 FT vs Temple.

He shot 11 vs Ohio State in OT at the RAC, which was (to me) his most complete game and only game where he actually impacted the opponent and the game.

That's 19 out of 85 FTs in TWO games.

That leaves 66 FTs in 32 games. But the numbers get actually more deceiving IF you understand how many games where he didnt get to the line..

I can add another 6 FTs in a loss at Minnesota (key miss in final minute as well), and another 6 (almost all at the end of the MSG/ MSU game), when MSU had to foul. That's now down to 54 total FTs in 30 remaining games.....that's essentially under 2 FTs attempts per game.

If a player is a great FT and plays SOFT and doesn't draw contact, he plays against his strength, which would be to get to the line......why would I say he played soft?? Because, he used his footwork to fade away from the defender and did not pump fake, or head fake to draw contact. And the numbers support that IF you pay attention and watch the games.

0 FTs at Miami (LOSS)
0 FTs at Ohio State (LOSS)
0 FTs vs Indiana (Win)
0 FTs vs SHU (LOSS)
0 FTs at Purdue (WIN)
0 FTs at Illinois (LOSS)
0 FT vs PSU (WIN)
1 FT at MSU (LOSS)
2 FT at Indiana (LOSS)
0 FT vs Nebraska (LOSS)
2 FT at Wisconsin (WIN)
2 FT vs Iowa (LOSS)

From 3.....
0-5 vs Temple (LOSS)
0-4 vs SHU (LOSS)
1-5 vs Miami (LOSS )
1-8 @ MSU (LOSS )
0-5 @ MSG vs MSU (WIN)
1-3 vs Michigan (35 min. LOSS)
1-2 @ PSU (36 minutes WIN)
1-3 vs Northwestern (34 minutes) LOSS)

There are obviously some key, key shots and games Spencer bailed RU out.....at NW.....at Purdue....at Wisconsin....all key, important road wins, resume "must haves".

But the OVERALL body of work, was missing a LOT of impact.

He is a limited player who couldn't generate his own shot and the stats bear that out. He also didn't get to the FT enough, which defeats the purpose of being a great FT shooter.

In overall terms of B1G Shooting guards, Spencer falls in the bottom 1/3rd of the league. It is not his fault, but RU can match his production with more baskets going to the basket, more FTs from others and similar to better defense.

I am not overly concerned, let's see what the portal brings us back, before crying about losing Spencer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News