ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium atmosphere at Team Entrance is EMBARRASSING

We are a historically awful football program with almost no success in the last 15 years. We haven't beaten a ranked team in 15 years, haven't been ranked in 12 years and haven't had a sellout in 9 years.

You don't compare a program like that to a Pedo State you compare it to an Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas. Fair or not.

Look at hoops. Just a taste of a tournament, just some upsets, games are fun and now you have to beg for a ticket into that building.

Go win 10 games this season and then you build on it. That's how it works.

College sports everywhere are trashed by playing piped music at ridiculous volumes. The thing that makes the college atmosphere unique are the marching and pep bands, and many programs…even big time winning programs, ruin their atmosphere with insolent noise.

I know I’m showing my age, but it really ruins the experience. If I wanted crap noise at ridiculous volumes id hit a super over priced nfl game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Like someone else said, when there was juice our stadium has been full at kickoff. For the last 10 years there have been 0 juice games. “Juice” being defined as being at least 3-0 heading into a home game against a 2-1 or 3-0 conference team. 0 games probably in 10 years. PSU has had how many of those? Probably 3-4 home games per YEAR like that over the last 10 years. Can’t expect anything, stop saying the fans are “embarassing”. Indiana and Northwestern crowds are embarassing. Ours are straight miracles after the last 10 years

I thought Al was a diehard Rutgers fan? Is he becoming a complainer? Every post is about what everyone else has and what Rutgers lacks. That may have been a factor in what held Rutgers back. Now with NIL, the shift in the dynamics of the sport has made the things AL is talking about less relevant. While still important, not the deal breaker AL claims these days.
We all acknowledge some of the issues with Rutgers, but the constant b*thing about it changes nothing unless you cut a check like Phil Knight. Move on.

Last edited:
I thought Al was a diehard Rutgers fan? Is he becoming a complainer? Every post is about what everyone else has and what Rutgers lacks. That may have been a factor in what held Rutgers back. Now with NIL, the shift in the dynamics of the sport has made the things AL is talking about less relevant. While still important, not the deal breaker AL claims these days.
We all acknowledge some of the issues with Rutgers, but the constant b*thing about it changes nothing unless you cut a check like Phil Knight. Move on.
As a fanbase, What we lack is the desire to do what it takes to support a National Champion. That is why Rutgers has never won big.
  • Everyone agrees that NIL is important, but how many actually support NIL?
  • Everyone agrees that facilities are important, but how many are supporting the Fieldhouse?
  • Everyone agrees that pregame atmosphere is important, but how many are willing to be in their seats for the team entrance
These things are needed to facilitate recruiting. Now we can’t control whether people support the program, but we can control whether we are at our seats on time.

You very well know that the real whining will take place if we lose.

The team has sacrificed all offseason to be the best it can be. Being in your seats for the team entrance is not a big ask. Especially this year, where everything is in place to be competitive with anyone. Yet some are acting as if I’m asking for their right hand.

People brought up games of national consequence: well we’ve got two of them on the home schedule:
  • Washington- being the defending national Champion runner up
  • Wisconsin - possibly our toughest game
These are games where the 12th man will be especially important.

I belong to one of the bigger tailgates, and If we can breakdown and ensure that everyone is in their seats for the team entrance, there is NO reason why others can’t do the same.

As a fanbase, What we lack is the desire to do what it takes to support a National Champion. That is why Rutgers has never won big.
  • Everyone agrees that facilities are important, but how many are supporting the Fieldhouse?
  • Everyone agrees that pregame atmosphere is important, but how many are willing to be in their seats for the team entrance
These things are needed to facilitate recruiting. Now we can’t control whether people support the program, but we can control whether we are at our seats on time.

The team has sacrificed all offseason to be the best it can be. Being in your seats for the team entrance is not a big ask. Especially this year, where everything is in place to be competitive with anyone. Yet some are acting as if I’m asking for their right hand.

People brought up games of national consequence: well we’ve got two of them on the home schedule:

I belong to one of the bigger tailgates, and If we can breakdown and ensure that everyone is in their seats for the team entrance, there is NO reason why others can’t do the same.
Those are not games of National consequence unless we are of national consequence going into them.
Why do you continue to ignore the FACT we’ve had packed stadiums for team entrances many times.

Please stop telling others how to live their lives and spend their money. Have you heard about the inflation problem in the country? The cost of housing? Mortgage rates? People with families have many higher priority items including housing, food, saving for college, etc than donating to a silly football team. Yet some fan still do. For many of people, in their universe of things that are important, Rutgers football occupies a very small space relative to other things in our lives. Apparently, for you, Rutgers football occupies a much large space.

Some people can't make it to the stadium on time because of family commitments, traffic, or other things that are more important to them. They don't need a lecture from you or anyone else or an attendance monitor yelling at them with a tardy slip.

The Washington and Wisconsin games have ZERO national consequence. None.

Your first three bullet points are more "rutgersalisms" that exist in your mind and nowhere else. "Everyone" does not agree on any of those things. But YOU and a few other vocal fans do agree. Goody for you.

Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me.
You star in your movie, I will star in mine.
Have a lovely day.
Go RU.

Last edited:
Those are not games of National consequence unless we are of national consequence going into them.
Why do you continue to ignore the FACT we’ve had packed stadiums for team entrances many times.
Great minds think alike. Al is a nice fella. He is a passionate fan and that is great. We all can't be like al, and that is a good thing. He should also realize that yelling at people on social media rarely achieves anything, but often achieves the opposite intended effect on people. It turns them off.

EDIT:
One other thing that al does not realize. Tailgate groups are withering. We typically visit 3 tailgates (when we have time) before the games. Have done this for several years. This year, two of those tailgates packed up and are no longer tailgating. One was pushed out by the increased donation requirements in certain lots, as the group decided they could not come up with the $ (they also had a bus, etc), so they packed it in. Another group decided to call it quits. Yet another has relocated from the blue to the black lot due to costs. Now it will take them longer to walk to the stadium after they pack up their tailgate. Not everyone has the $$$$ for the Scarlet and other lots close to the stadium. And they are going to eliminate one of the prime lots for the fieldhouse. But we are not allowed to discuss that out of fear Al and his minions and the multiple account holders will yell at us for whining and tell us to donate more. Comical way of treating loyal fans. But keep it up.

Last edited:
One thing that Penn State does so much better than we do is that the vast majority of their fans are at their seats when the team enters the stadium. This creates a huge impression on recruits, and pumps up the team.

In contrast, I’m not sure if Rutgers stadium is even half full when the team enters, and it’s pretty embarrassing. How deflating must it feel to the players, to run out to a half empty stadium. Hopefully, with a much better team, fans will be motivated to be at their seats early. We should all be doing our best to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. That’s what they do at Penn State, and this creates an AMAZING atmosphere.

Scumbags like to be together

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Al I hear you man

There’s a lot of things that frustrate me in regard to how Rutgers operates and with our own fans

I think what we have to realize is Rutgers football is big for alll of us on this board - however, for a multitude of reasons, it’s not important to a large percentage of the population

Winning cues that
The NYC metro area, like all big areas, are bandwagon fans

And, quite honestly, all programs, large and small, depend on bandwagon fans

We’re less than 1 % of the overall fandom
And most of us are fairly hardcore fans

If GS continues on the upward trajectory, and the program ascends to a Wisconsin / Iowa / Sparty type level. Wel see things change and change quick

Until then, it is what it is

I don’t like it, somewhat understand it, and rarely comprehend it - but until we start winning, and winning big, things won’t be changing anytime soon

Great minds think alike. Al is a nice fella. He is a passionate fan and that is great. We all can't be like al, and that is a good thing. He should also realize that yelling at people on social media rarely achieves anything, but often achieves the opposite intended effect on people. It turns them off.

EDIT:
One other thing that al does not realize. Tailgate groups are withering. We typically visit 3 tailgates (when we have time) before the games. Have done this for several years. This year, two of those tailgates packed up and are no longer tailgating. One was pushed out by the increased donation requirements in certain lots, as the group decided they could not come up with the $ (they also had a bus, etc), so they packed it in. Another group decided to call it quits. Yet another has relocated from the blue to the black lot due to costs. Now it will take them longer to walk to the stadium after they pack up their tailgate. Not everyone has the $$$$ for the Scarlet and other lots close to the stadium. And they are going to eliminate one of the prime lots for the fieldhouse. But we are not allowed to discuss that out of fear Al and his minions and the multiple account holders will yell at us for whining and tell us to donate more. Comical way of treating loyal fans. But keep it up.
There used to be a decent size contingent who left their tailgates to watch warmups, starting with special teams an hour before the game.
That number has dwindled substantially because of the absurd decibel level of the music and unfortunately the selection.
It is what it is, I understand the players choose the music.
Throughout history music transcended generations, I appreciated my parents swing music of the 40s, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Glen Miller etc… was awesome music.
There is very little connection anyone my age can have with rap/hip hop…. The music is just awful 😀.

One thing that Penn State does so much better than we do is that the vast majority of their fans are at their seats when the team enters the stadium. This creates a huge impression on recruits, and pumps up the team.

In contrast, I’m not sure if Rutgers stadium is even half full when the team enters, and it’s pretty embarrassing. How deflating must it feel to the players, to run out to a half empty stadium. Hopefully, with a much better team, fans will be motivated to be at their seats early. We should all be doing our best to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. That’s what they do at Penn State, and this creates an AMAZING atmosphere.

Couldn’t agree more Al! Also for those saying it’s a late arriving crowd I call BS!

It’s a crowd that doesn’t give a shit! They rather drink one more and break down their tailgates which they started many hours before the game then be in to support the team when they come out.

I’d say most of this is a result of us not playing well because in 06 I don’t recall this problem.

But when I start the walk in I keep reminding the folks who are still sitting , drinking, eating that there is a game today and they might want to start breaking down.

It’s embarrassing to say the least.

As I'm walking to the stadium from Black, on a pace to be in the stadium for the National Anthem if everything goes right, there are still long lines of cars on the access roads who haven't even arrived yet. But it's the tailgaters and drinkers who are the reason for all the empty seats at kickoff?

How is it “disrespectful” that no one is there to hear the band? Most people aren’t going to see them, they are going to see a football game.
We still have a band? Good for us.

Look, you can't artificially create a winning atmosphere. It needs to be earned and RU as a program hasn't done so, except for a few seasons under GS 1.0. However, that was squandered and we are essentially starting from scratch again.

You know what’s embarrassing? Not being able to send out an active link. Our social media, ticketing team, RFund can’t seem to get it right.

Announcement for our Hall of fame class.

What is the name of the scholarship you endowed?
I've established the Mildone Hookers and Blow Scholarship for female athletes. A huge endowment.

But the academic department keeps telling me nobody's applied for it yet. 🙁

The vast majority of fans in attendance do not live in State College. They travel there from places like Pittsburgh, Philly, DC and NJ.

whats your point? They have a 50 year tradition of winning, we had a couple good seasons 20 years ago. Only a jackass would try and compare our situation with theirs.

whats your point? They have a 50 year tradition of winning, we had a couple good seasons 20 years ago. Only a jackass would try and compare our situation with theirs.
Um... I can't help but point out that you, in the underlined portion of your post, just compared PSUFB's situation to RUFB's situation. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Lerxst72

Al, I might suggest a different technique than used in the OP for the messaging in trying to motivate fans to get in their seats earlier. Pointing to Penn State as an example (coupled with using negativity) probably will not work well and generally illicit negative feedback on this board.

Reactions: mildone
Al, I might suggest a different technique than used in the OP for the messaging in trying to motivate fans to get in their seats earlier. Pointing to Penn State as an example (coupled with using negativity) probably will not work well and generally illicit negative feedback on this board.
This is where Al loses credibility, at least with me. I admire his fandom and his passion. More of that would definitely help our program. But his approach is becoming increasingly condescending and finger-pointing. Thread titles are click bait, capitalizing ‘embarrassing,’ etc. It’s just not helpful nor conducive towards a productive discussion on a message board.

Pretty sure you know this. But "elicit".

Illicit would only apply if our fans were, for instance, convicted of 34 counts of felony fraud - perhaps perpetrated while in the parking lots tailgating, and engaged in those illicit activities, instead of in their seats by the time the team entered the stadium.

We are a historically awful football program with almost no success in the last 15 years. We haven't beaten a ranked team in 15 years, haven't been ranked in 12 years and haven't had a sellout in 9 years.

You don't compare a program like that to a Pedo State you compare it to an Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas. Fair or not.

Look at hoops. Just a taste of a tournament, just some upsets, games are fun and now you have to beg for a ticket into that building.

Go win 10 games this season and then you build on it. That's how it works.
Greg Schiano: “Look, we’re here to win this League, not be part of it”. If you intend to win the league, you can’t have a baseline of Illinois and Indiana, teams we’ve already beaten. That’s why Our baseline is Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

We need all the help we can get to get those 10 wins, and those fans who are willing have to do their part.

I would point out , the way local media covers the program goes a long way in the way people support the program.

Penn State cleans our clock on the field and in recruiting more so than any program. Rather than hating them, we should do whatever it takes to beat them. They are the most relevant program to compare ourselves to, because we need to beat them for the program to take the next step.

We have packed the stadium many times for team entrances, but not enough for my liking. And it’s been a long time since it last happened. Hopefully that streak will come to an end, this year. We should be of national consequence going into the VT game.

Penn State cleans our clock on the field and in recruiting more so than any program. Rather than hating them, we should do whatever it takes to beat them. They are the most relevant program to compare ourselves to, because we need to beat them for the program to take the next step.
we don't need to beat them to take the next step simply because we aren't playing them this year. We can take the next step and still lose to them, 1 win or loss doesn't define a season

We have packed the stadium many times for team entrances, but not enough for my liking. And it’s been a long time since it last happened. Hopefully that streak will come to an end, this year. We should be of national consequence going into the VT game.
its been a long time because we have sucked for a long time. We go into Washington undefeated and i'm sure the stands will be full when the players run out.

History says it’s going to happen, but it isn’t happening against Howard or Akron no matter how much you want it to.
As you say, beat VT on the road and the place will be humming for Washington.

Reactions: newell138
I would point out , the way local media covers the program goes a long way in the way people support the program.
Our cheap fans refuse to pay for the content of our local news. Every newspaper is now online and they all charge to be read by people who click. Our fans refuse to pay and then shit on the newspaper for trying to survive in this new Information Age. The excuse is oh they are not fair with Rutgers and write mean stories about us. The truth is if it has to paid for this fanbase won’t pay. Complain oh yes count this fan base in.

Our cheap fans refuse to pay for the content of our local news. Every newspaper is now online and they all charge to be read by people who click. Our fans refuse to pay and then shit on the newspaper for trying to survive in this new Information Age. The excuse is oh they are not fair with Rutgers and write mean stories about us. The truth is if it has to paid for this fanbase won’t pay. Complain oh yes count this fan base in.
Take the clothespins off your nut sack, you won't be so miserable.

we don't need to beat them to take the next step simply because we aren't playing them this year. We can take the next step and still lose to them, 1 win or loss doesn't define a season
Logic has not place in al's world. The Veruca Salt of RU fans-he wants to beat them right now.

@zappaa and others have brought up the Louisville game. The stadium was packed and loud.

Rutgers First Series- Rutgers -Rutgers punted, Louisville scored on that possession.
Louisville led 25-14 at the half.

So much for al's theory on creating that AMAZING atmosphere so that the players don't come out on the field deflated.

Rutgers vs. Arkansas 2013 was another memorable big game with RU hosting an SEC opponent in a blackout. Arkansas led 10-0 int he first quarter, 24-14 at the end of the third quarter, and Rutgers pulled ahead in the 4th quarter. Must have been those raucous, late-arriving fans who made enough noise to pump up the players!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT