ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Nash to Coach Nets

RUinFla

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Stuart, Florida
Been a Knicks fan since maybe 1949, and the 1970 7th Game win over the Lakers may be my favorite sports moment. But the Nets' hiring of Steve Nash may end up vaulting them over the Knicks as #1 in New York. Respected him as a player and think he will be a great coach. Who better to sort out Kyrie? And he was an assistant at Golden State when KD was there. Grand slam HR of a hire.

Been a Knicks fan since maybe 1949, and the 1970 7th Game win over the Lakers may be my favorite sports moment. But the Nets' hiring of Steve Nash may end up vaulting them over the Knicks as #1 in New York. Respected him as a player and think he will be a great coach. Who better to sort out Kyrie? And he was an assistant at Golden State when KD was there. Grand slam HR of a hire.

Let me know when the Nets move back to NJ....where they belong.

MO

Nash already has one foot out the door. The Nets had to convince Nash to take the job. He was hired to be a babysitter for the Nets two superstars. Those two don't want a real coach to push them to greater heights.

Nash already has one foot out the door. The Nets had to convince Nash to take the job. He was hired to be a babysitter for the Nets two superstars. Those two don't want a real coach to push them to greater heights.
Actually they kept Jacque Vaughn as an assistant to babysit Steve though his rookie HC year.
Vaughn's time as Orlando's HC and short stint as the Net HC will help Steve's HC OJT .
Hiring someone without any coaching experience is a gamble, but keeping superstars happy with whose hired seems to be a major part of the NBA's hiring process .
Nets should be fun to watch, not the games themselves but the Whose The Man competition between Durant and Irving when the game is on the line and both demand the ball

Nash might just make a good HC, but wonder if KD and Kyrie will be willing to complement each other under him or demand to be treated as the man by Steve while the other sulks if made 2nd option.

Racist Stephen A. Smith already claiming “white privledge” landed Nash the job. What an asshole this guy is....always the victim.

Racist Stephen A. Smith already claiming “white privledge” landed Nash the job. What an asshole this guy is....always the victim.
You’re surprised that jackass “went there”? How many ill-placed flowery words did he use in his little rant?

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I was surprised at this at first, but then the more I thought about it, it's not completely out of left field. The Nets did this before with another former PG and made the second round of the playoffs. When Nash was playing, how many times did you hear his coaches and fellow players say he was a coach on the floor? Well, now he's a coach on the bench.

For the record: Kyrie Irving sat next to me at the RAC. It was around the holidays (2010?). He was at a game to watch a friend play who was on the Rutgers roster — a North Carolina native who played in the backcourt. Wish I could remember his name. Might have been a JUCO transfer, who gave us a couple of solid seasons. Kyrie couldn’t have been friendlier and nicer.

For the record: Kyrie Irving sat next to me at the RAC. It was around the holidays (2010?). He was at a game to watch a friend play who was on the Rutgers roster — a North Carolina native who played in the backcourt. Wish I could remember his name. Might have been a JUCO transfer, who gave us a couple of solid seasons. Kyrie couldn’t have been friendlier and nicer.
James Beatty?

Funny, he never claimed black privilege when Magic Johnson was hired with zero coaching experience to lead the Lakers.

NBA history is filled with former players being hired as HC with no coaching experience. Including the Nets with Jason Kidd just years ago.

Also, Nash doesn't get hired if Kyrie and Durant don't personally approve of it.
If either one said no then Nash isn't HC.

Reactions: BLewis1968

I coached against Kyrie when he played AAU and got a chance to speak with him briefly back then. He was a pleasant, friendly, and classy young man back then and I’m sure he still is now that he’s older. I remember we only lost to his team by 2-3 points but I felt like he could win the game by himself any time he wanted to.

Reactions: BLewis1968
WTF is going on with Steven A.
He is completely wrong but can't come off it.
Who does he think approved of the hiring? Durant and Irving picked Nash.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/charles-barkley-rips-white-privilege-anger-over-steve-nash-hire/

"He clarified that, while Black coaches have been hired without experience before, he doesn’t believe they would get the same chance Nash has, inheriting a roster with Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and championship aspirations. Nash served as a player development consultant for the Golden State warriors and built a notable relationship with now Nets star Kevin Durant, a role that likely helped his cause with Durant and Irving, thought to be the main player voices behind the Nets’ hire."

NBA history is filled with former players being hired as HC with no coaching experience. Including the Nets with Jason Kidd just years ago.

Also, Nash doesn't get hired if Kyrie and Durant don't personally approve of it.
If either one said no then Nash isn't HC.
As somebody who covers the Nets/NBA, both of these statements are 100% accurate.

Reactions: NickRU714
Exactly. Where were the cries of racism and privilege?
There were cries of point guard privilege. For some reason, centers can't get jobs. That's why Patrick had to go back to Georgetown despite being clearly qualified for an NBA job. Kareem couldn't get a sniff.
The three paths to an NBA job are 1) know a superstar (not just an All-Star, but a SUPERstar), 2) know the GM and 3) be a heady point guard. Nash has all three, which trumped his inexperience.
And for the record, Nate McMillen was done dirty by Indy, and Ty Lue disrespected by the Lakers. I'm not going to say Nash didn't deserve the Nets job, or got it because he's white, because I don't believe either of those statements to be accurate, and crying racism where it's not present hurts the cause. But yes, black coaches who fail have a harder time getting second and third chances at HC gigs. The facts bear that out. (I'm discounting Mark Jackson, who was blackballed for reasons I'm not going to get into here).

Eli Carter. That was Kyrie’s best friend. He also came to mid knight madness at the RAC.
I don’t doubt what you’ve written here. The way I remember Kyrie’s comments was that he was at the game to see James Beatty play in-person, and he was also friendly with one of Beatty’s siblings who was a terrific player as well back home in North Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT