ADVERTISEMENT

Stony Brook University - future Rutgers rival?

What does the guy who played The Wolf Man have to do with this?
Lon_chaney_sr.JPG

Not at all.
Lots of people do not belong in college and there have to be standards.
People have to pass tests to get a license - they don't get licenses because "residents."

The Baizuos wrecked the community colleges because they erased standards and made everything about "diversity."
My county of birth used to have a top reputation until it went superficial.
Graduation rate hit 12% and costs for students without resources broke the budgets.
Crime and gangs on campus skyrocketed.
The colleges "brand" got trashed and people stopped wanting to go.
This is a national problem.

They will wreck the 4 yr colleges as well
High schools already watered down standards with watered-up grades and banned honors courses.
The Maoists want to force students to endure indoctrination and of course that drives off sensible students with other options.
NYS is increasingly run by the same people who wrecked Venezuela, Cuba etc.
I was a GA for a Marxist prof and my best friend is now a Marxist prof - I know their playbook and how they roll.

As Lon Cheney Jr would say

Not at all.
Lots of people do not belong in college and there have to be standards.
People have to pass tests to get a license - they don't get licenses because "residents."

The Baizuos wrecked the community colleges because they erased standards and made everything about "diversity."
My county of birth used to have a top reputation until it went superficial.
Graduation rate hit 12% and costs for students without resources broke the budgets.
Crime and gangs on campus skyrocketed.
The colleges "brand" got trashed and people stopped wanting to go.
This is a national problem.

They will wreck the 4 yr colleges as well
High schools already watered down standards with watered-up grades and banned honors courses.
The Maoists want to force students to endure indoctrination and of course that drives off sensible students with other options.
NYS is increasingly run by the same people who wrecked Venezuela, Cuba etc.
I was a GA for a Marxist prof and my best friend is now a Marxist prof - I know their playbook and how they roll.

Next we will be seeing public confessions and dunce caps. Bill Mahar was prescient.

Most states have programs like this. Everyone in top 10% of class gets admitted to U of Texas. ASU and U of Arizona admit nearly all residents for undergrad.

In NJ if you graduate a community college you're guaranteed admission to a NJ state college. Doesn't mean RU. Doesn't even mean Rowan lol.

Many CUNY/SUNY are close to autoadmit anyway. It doesn't mean you get into Binghamton.

The poster you replied to distorted the facts.

All the NY Gov did was to ensure that letters were sent to all HS graduating seniors to inform them that they are automatically eligible to enroll in SUNY or CUNY’s Junior Colleges. As it has been for ages, and is in NJ, NY’s JCs are open admission. The only thing the Gov “changed” was to send a letter to make sure the grads know it.

Stony Brook used to be a place NYS kids wanted to go to. It then recently became a no go due to its eroding infrastructure. The dorms etc need major help. That 500 mil is sorely needed to bail out a once really good research institution. Believe me Long I sland kids are not dying to go there unless for financial reasons.

Could you provide a source for the 10% figure?

I am seeing 6%.

If you just made up the 10% figure, that is ok, just let us know.
I checked and found this
College For All Texans: Automatic Admissions
>You may qualify for automatic admission to many public universities in Texas through the Top 10% Rule. To meet the requirements, you must graduate in the top 10% of your class at a recognized public or private high school in Texas or a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense and be a Texas resident or eligible to pay resident tuition. This rule has been modified for The University of Texas at Austin please see UT Austin Admissions for the most recent admissions information.<

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=24937C2A-D8B0-34EB-1FC5AF875A28C616

Reactions: NotInRHouse
That LI population number is double counting Queens and Brooklyn (Kings) counties, just under 5 million combined, which are included in the 8.5 million NYC number. The two other LI counties, Nassau and Suffolk, are just under 3 million in population combined.

Suffolk (home of SBU) is slightly greater in pop'n than Nassau but not as dense since it's larger in land area and the developed areas drop off the further east/out on the island you go.

As far as SUNY budget, since it has some 10-20x the number of campuses of Rutgers, its budget would be much larger. Aside from CUNY campuses across the 5 boroughs, I don't believe there exist any public colleges across the rest of the state that aren't considered part of SUNY. I think even the various county/community colleges in NY State are classified under the SUNY umbrella so the aggregate budget likely incorporates all of those campuses.

Ah, good catch re : population double count.

I thought it was high and should have thought of looking by county to verify the numbers.

In any event, 3 million people would still put Long Island roughly in the neighborhood of 34-36 largest state population if some residents got their wish and they seceded.

This would put it on par with Arkansas, Mississippi and Kansas.

The SUNY system is certainly complex - with 64 campuses, 29 of which are state-operated.

From an academics and research standpoint, the SUNY system certainly poses competition risk to Rutgers, and when you look at the economic focus of Long Island - Education, Healthcare, High-Tech, Financial Services, Professional Services, Commercial Real Estate and Development. It’s not hard to see how much of this overlaps with NJ.

In terms of reputation, Rutgers is #19 public university vs #31 and #55 in National Universities vs #71. They are on par with Clemson, PSU and MSU.

They can’t pull off football, but they could easily position themselves similarly to UC-Santa Barbara, Irvine, San Diego or Davis as elite academically with or without men’s basketball while avoiding football.

This would be very compelling to both in-state and out of state students, especially those in Life Sciences who might like what NorthWell health has done to create a new medical school along with Hofstra with a more holistic care approach to medical education.

Stonybrook’s medical school is #58 and Hofstra opened their doors in 2008 and already are tied with Rutgers at #68.

Reactions: Fat Koko
The poster you replied to distorted the facts.

All the NY Gov did was to ensure that letters were sent to all HS graduating seniors to inform them that they are automatically eligible to enroll in SUNY or CUNY’s Junior Colleges. As it has been for ages, and is in NJ, NY’s JCs are open admission. The only thing the Gov “changed” was to send a letter to make sure the grads know it.
Seems like some won't show the full story because they only know part or what they leave out doesn't fit their political agenda.
Heck some who consider diversity the downfall of higher education are like those , years ago , that felt integrating Colleges would lower the educational standards for what was once a white only University.

Last edited:
Stony Brook used to be a place NYS kids wanted to go to. It then recently became a no go due to its eroding infrastructure. The dorms etc need major help. That 500 mil is sorely needed to bail out a once really good research institution. Believe me Long I sland kids are not dying to go there unless for financial reasons.

Long Island kids aren’t much different from NJ kids in the desire to leave home or go away to school.

I’m on the North Shore in a town where most high school students are expected to go on to 4-year college.

What is notable is how Rutgers is not on the radar whatsoever- even for parents who think a large state school experience with “rah rah” sports is what their child is looking for or might be looking for a strong “value” - and have the money and inclination to pay out of state tuition.

Maryland and PSU always seem to be in the mix.

I think it’s hard to break through the stigma of everyone who has experienced trips stuck on the Belt Parkway, or the GWB, or encountered colleagues from NJ who reinforce the stereotypes that NJ is sort of trashy and corrupt.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Long Island kids aren’t much different from NJ kids in the desire to leave home or go away to school.

I’m on the North Shore in a town where most high school students are expected to go on to 4-year college.

What is notable is how Rutgers is not on the radar whatsoever
- even for parents who think a large state school experience with “rah rah” sports is what their child is looking for or might be looking for a strong “value” - and have the money and inclination to pay out of state tuition.

I think it’s hard to break through the stigma of everyone who has experienced trips stuck on the Belt Parkway, or the GWB, or encountered colleagues from NJ who reinforce the stereotypes that NJ is sort of trashy and corrupt.
Still happening here in NJ.

I’ve seen were the local HS are touting where there kids got in, are going to and where they got money.

If I had a nickel for every time Rutgers was mentioned I’d starve.

But if I got that same nickel for every school mentioned not as good as Rutgers, I’d eat well.

What is notable is how Rutgers is not on the radar whatsoever- even for parents who think a large state school experience with “rah rah” sports is what their child is looking for or might be looking for a strong “value” - and have the money and inclination to pay out of state tuition.

My Long Island home is in Manhasset and I've seen more R magnets than ever before--things are changing.

Reactions: fatsam98
Still happening here in NJ.

I’ve seen were the local HS are touting where there kids got in, are going to and where they got money.

If I had a nickel for every time Rutgers was mentioned I’d starve.

But if I got that same nickel for every school mentioned not as good as Rutgers, I’d eat well.

I don’t doubt it. I understand why some people might not want a large school or want to @go away” but I grew up without money so will never be able to shake the economic considerations. Rutgers is an incredible value.

My Long Island home is in Manhasset and I've seen more R magnets than ever before--things are changing.

No doubt. I’m in Port Wash and we are making progress for sure. When I was at RU, students on campus didn’t even wear RU gear.

The Block R was genius.

No doubt. I’m in Port Wash and we are making progress for sure. When I was at RU, students on campus didn’t even wear RU gear.

The Block R was genius.
Used to drive my late Dad crazy when he would come for a visit. LOL

Used to drive my late Dad crazy when he would come for a visit. LOL

It was hard to find merch in stores, even if you wanted to buy it.

The stuff you could buy was so terrible. It would be like walking around with a “dork” sign on.

I was on the baseball team. Outside of school and sports, my preoccupation was getting laid.

So I was faced with three options:

1.) be corny and wear my team hat
2.) wear a cheesy RU hat with a NJ icon on it
3.) wear the Penn State hat I had from growing up

I alternated between 1 & 3- but prob more 3 than 1, if I’m being honest.

It took me a while to realize both of those options were really working against my goal.

So, I grew my hair out, got a job and took school and partying seriously and was just myself.

Girls just started coming out of the woodwork. That was the culture.

Eventually, RU got their shit together. The work Mulcahy & Schiano did was truly transformative to the campus experience.

College is about figuring shit out, but I’m glad there’s genuine school identity & pride that has been sustained for 20+ years at this point.

I feel like the next 20 are going to be just as transformative.

And LI is largely a dying area. Very few people that grew up there return. The housing costs and taxes make NJ's look low on top of the fact that they, unlike NJ, refuse to build anything new, refuse to develop areas near mass transit, have very few walkable towns, etc.

The ones who stay in the area move to NYC/NJ/CT/Westchester...there's no future on LI unless you inherit property and are a local cop or teacher.
Very interesting perspective, thank you…

I have to say, my daughter (a graduating high school senior) took a dozen college visits to schools within about 70 miles of our northern NJ house. While Stony Brook may not have been the worst academically, it was by far her least favorite campus.

Seems like some won't show the full story because they only know part or what they leave out doesn't fit their political agenda.
Heck some who consider diversity the downfall of higher education are like those , years ago , that felt integrating Colleges would lower the educational standards for what was once a white only University.

Oh stop...the more "diversity" that gets pushed as a goal in itself (for 100% political reasons) the worse things run.
NY schools have been more than open for anyone - they chase kids down trying to boost their index

Its a fact that many sketchy high schools push out kids who cant do basic work.
Teachers are pressured to lie and fix grades
We had a gal teacher get caught changing Reagents scores.

Local DMV workers are amazed how many people cant read in any language.
"Diversity" programs now come with agenda's right out of Mao's toolbox - pure poison.
MLK dream is over - character is over because (a lot of people dont have any anyway).

Now white pilots are targeted - too many Sullys - need more quota people.
Its like in the old Marxist countries where the janitor is made a doctor and a doctor is made a janitor

Med schools getting run into asylums

Check out the creepy "oath" at U of Minnesota - Orwelian is too nice.
Medical students at a top college have to swear away male and female
People/institution are going crazy and its being cultivated on purpose.
The smart people already get it for most part

Very interesting perspective, thank you…
Interesting? But uninformed -- people still paying huge prices to get into towns in Nassau county - no different from towns in Bergen County or Weschester

But still top 6% at “The University” as it’s called down there.

As mentioned by @MADHAT1 previously.

Yes it was 10% and they adjusted it, but the point stands that many states have these kinds of programs.

I have no issue with NJ saying, seemingly similar to what NY says- go to a community college and then get admitted to a state U. If you work your butt off, sure it can be RU or Binghamton, but if you're an average student, maybe you continue at Kean or a CUNY.

Interesting? But uninformed -- people still paying huge prices to get into towns in Nassau county - no different from towns in Bergen County or Weschester

I didn't say people aren't paying "huge prices", first off. No doubt that they are. But who are these people? Most people cannot afford to live on LI. NJ is also expensive, but it's not as expensive.

Second of all, LI isn't just Nassau. It's also Suffolk, and there's huge area between let's say Dix Hills and the Hamptons that is too far from NYC to work, lacking in opportunity and still quite expensive.

LI is lacking the infrastructure that NJ has. First off, we have places like Hoboken and JC right outside Manhattan that lure young people. Hoboken and JC each received more people from NYC during COVID than Miami (which the media is mysteriously reluctant to cover).

Secondly, NJ has guidelines that require the construction of affordable housing and has several prestigious towns that feature density (eg, Westfield, Montclair). OTOH, NY recently refused a proposal to build more both affordable and dense housing.

There is also no major industry on LI. They have no pharma. They have few major corporations. You work as a teacher, a cop or NYC. And now, fewer people have a need to be in NYC, and can move to NJ or CT for as good, maybe better schools, more walkability, and not be stuck on a dead end needing to go through Queens and BK to get to the rest of the country.

And finally, LI lacks little towns with cache that have attracted people. LI has no college towns like NB or Princeton, it has no Morristown, no Montclair or Maplewood or Asbury Park. To be sure, it has some towns in western Nassau with cache and great schools, I mean, the Great Gatsby was written about it. But no one is doing a nice write up on Shirley or Moriches.

I say this as a native Long Islander. It's sad but true. And the people who are still there will simultaneously gripe when their kids don't move back and yet do nothing to fix it.

Oh stop...the more "diversity" that gets pushed as a goal in itself (for 100% political reasons) the worse things run.
NY schools have been more than open for anyone - they chase kids down trying to boost their index

Its a fact that many sketchy high schools push out kids who cant do basic work.
Teachers are pressured to lie and fix grades
We had a gal teacher get caught changing Reagents scores.

Local DMV workers are amazed how many people cant read in any language.
"Diversity" programs now come with agenda's right out of Mao's toolbox - pure poison.
MLK dream is over - character is over because (a lot of people dont have any anyway).

Now white pilots are targeted - too many Sullys - need more quota people.
Its like in the old Marxist countries where the janitor is made a doctor and a doctor is made a janitor

Med schools getting run into asylums

Check out the creepy "oath" at U of Minnesota - Orwelian is too nice.
Medical students at a top college have to swear away male and female
People/institution are going crazy and its being cultivated on purpose.
The smart people already get it for most part

Yeah no. Binghamton has an admission rate of 41%. That is lower than RU.

You don't want to run that type of number against the utopia of South Dakota where schools were told to increase free speech by...banning types of speech.

I didn't say people aren't paying "huge prices", first off. No doubt that they are. But who are these people? Most people cannot afford to live on LI. NJ is also expensive, but it's not as expensive.

Second of all, LI isn't just Nassau. It's also Suffolk, and there's huge area between let's say Dix Hills and the Hamptons that is too far from NYC to work, lacking in opportunity and still quite expensive.

LI is lacking the infrastructure that NJ has. First off, we have places like Hoboken and JC right outside Manhattan that lure young people. Hoboken and JC each received more people from NYC during COVID than Miami (which the media is mysteriously reluctant to cover).

Secondly, NJ has guidelines that require the construction of affordable housing and has several prestigious towns that feature density (eg, Westfield, Montclair). OTOH, NY recently refused a proposal to build more both affordable and dense housing.

There is also no major industry on LI. They have no pharma. They have few major corporations. You work as a teacher, a cop or NYC. And now, fewer people have a need to be in NYC, and can move to NJ or CT for as good, maybe better schools, more walkability, and not be stuck on a dead end needing to go through Queens and BK to get to the rest of the country.

And finally, LI lacks little towns with cache that have attracted people. LI has no college towns like NB or Princeton, it has no Morristown, no Montclair or Maplewood or Asbury Park. To be sure, it has some towns in western Nassau with cache and great schools, I mean, the Great Gatsby was written about it. But no one is doing a nice write up on Shirley or Moriches.

I say this as a native Long Islander. It's sad but true. And the people who are still there will simultaneously gripe when their kids don't move back and yet do nothing to fix it.
Thank you for especially knowledgeable comparison of NJ and LI.

In general, the Long Island's 1920s neighborhoods are really nice but the 1950s to 1970s neighborhoods - meaning most of Long Island - resemble a giant Piscataway without the Rutgers campus.

Long Island's commuter rail service is better than NJ Transit.

Long Island's governance has 4 layers - state, county, town, and village levels - compared to NJ's 3 and only 2 in Connecticut and Massachusetts. The 4 layers make it difficult for businesses to expand on Long Island.

Otherwise, NJ and LI are similar.

Will be interesting to watch how Stony Brook University spends the $500 million windfall. No mention of athletics in the university's long press release. However, the football team began in 1984 as Division 3, moved up to Division 2, and now plays at FBS level. Conceivably, Stony Brook could follow peer universities such as UMass and UConn and step up to the FCS level.

Thank you for especially knowledgeable comparison of NJ and LI.

In general, the Long Island's 1920s neighborhoods are really nice but the 1950s to 1970s neighborhoods - meaning most of Long Island - resemble a giant Piscataway without the Rutgers campus.

Long Island's commuter rail service is better than NJ Transit.

Long Island's governance has 4 layers - state, county, town, and village levels - compared to NJ's 3 and only 2 in Connecticut and Massachusetts. The 4 layers make it difficult for businesses to expand on Long Island.

Otherwise, NJ and LI are similar.

Will be interesting to watch how Stony Brook University spends the $500 million windfall. No mention of athletics in the university's long press release. However, the football team began in 1984 as Division 3, moved up to Division 2, and now plays at FBS level. Conceivably, Stony Brook could follow peer universities such as UMass and UConn and step up to the FCS level.

LI was developed explicitly to be car centric given the "views" of Robert Moses. I am not sure that LIRR is better than NJT, but remember that NJ also has the PATH giving 24/7 access to NYC that LI lacks, plus the HBLR that is going to be expanded into more suburban areas of Bergen County.

NJ also has the "brain corridor" between RU and Princeton, the port at Elizabeth, EWR and it's between NYC and Philly w 95 and Amtrak running right through. It's "easier" in a lot of ways and wasn't developed in the very specific way LI was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT