ADVERTISEMENT

Strategy vs Kofi

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
A) Don't let Kofi beat you, double up on him and force someone else to make shots;

B) Kofi is gonna get his regardless, dont let anyone else go off.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Think Cliff needs to front him and let them try to go over the top. Get back side support from McConnel or Paul to frustrate him.
I second this! (This exactly what I was just going to write!).
Still though, not in favor of letting anybody else go off. Curbelo out right? Frazier playing.

Do not double. Defend the perimeter. Let him score 30 no problem with that.

Reactions: BillyC80
Cliff will have 2 fouls within the first minute and a half. To get a jump on the officiating complaints, who are tonight’s officials and where do they hail from and what school did they graduate?

Reactions: Scangg
Thoughts....
1. Apply pressure to Illinois lead guard. There is a shot clock. The less you need to defend the better. Caleb and Miller keeping Illinois from initiating offense until 15-20 on shot clock is key
2. Do NOT sacrifice guarding the perimeter
3. Change defenses. Don't let Illinois or any offense get in a rhtymn
4. Illinois focusing on getting Kofi touches takes them away from our weakness of defending off the ball.

Kofi is hitting FTs a little better this season, so hacking him is not as attractive. Plus you'll just make him mad. You won't like him when he's mad.

Does Herb Pope have eligibility remaining, and is he available as a graduate transfer? He would give Kofi fits.

Need to pressure the entry pass of course. Dude is a beast. Need to get in the paint and hopefully get some calls.

When we're on offense
1) drive at him to try to get him to pick up fouls
2) drive at him and dish to Cliff
3) move the ball and have Cliff go high post and side to side in lane to get
Kofi tired.
4) Cliff should be aggressive and go up strong and use shot fakes to try to
draw fouls.
5) See if he bites on pick and rolls and exploit mismatches if he does.

Reactions: Scangg
A) Don't let Kofi beat you, double up on him and force someone else to make shots;

B) Kofi is gonna get his regardless, dont let anyone else go off.
So basically guard Kofi AND guard the perimeter? Got it.

🤡

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
Need to get the ball in the lane and get him in foul trouble. He's gonna eat Cliff's lunch tonight (and I'm a Cliff fan). Dude needs to get stronger

1. Unless we have a fast break we should be very deliberate on offense, using clock, to keep the ball out of Kofi’s hands and the score low.
2. Have Agee and Reiber foul Kofi as soon as he catches an entry pass, before the shot.
3. Defend the shit out of them, using traps to get turnovers.
4. Hope we have a good shooting night.

Few thoughts:
If Bo is ref, Cliff will have 2 fouls before he hits the floor
2. 247 review says Kofi’s backup is about equivalent of Duocore, so we should put up points when KC in on the bench
3. None of our backups can stop KC
4. We can win if KC scores 20+, if we control rest of their team. They have been turnover prone.
5. in a strange way, this may be positive for Cliff. If he comes to the game with attitude that he has to prove he belongs. It may help him step up the rest of the year. In other words, a good learning experience.

1) Watch replay of CINN see what they did. (No Kofi when the lost to Marq by one.)
2) Kofi averages 32+ mins, Cliff 26+. Cliff won't stop K, but when K is out gotta go to hacka Kofi and hope he shoots below hi 67% avg. Dean v Kofi? Come on.
3) If K is out for 3 mins, C is out for five. Will need breaks.
4) Pressure guards, try to prevent entry, may need Jalen
5) Switch up defenses unless you got one working, obviously
6)Front K if you gotta, but if K can muscle C away from basket lob entry becomes easy pass. Then gotta come down to strip but you're gonna commit fouls and we,re not deep. In his minutes that man may be Mag
7) Maybe try fc press a couple of times. Good chance Curbelo and Frazier will blow by us. Force them to pick up dribble and our length gives us advantage.
8) Be smart when we run.
9) Hope Douby is hot from three.

Why are we so concerned with Kofi?? he is going to get his tonight

We need to worry about Cliff staying out of Foul trouble and making sure we defend everyone else NOT to beat us. Do NOT let them drive to get easy layups

Cliff foul trouble is the biggest concern agreed. Neeeeeed him to be on the floor

When we're on offense
1) drive at him to try to get him to pick up fouls
2) drive at him and dish to Cliff
3) move the ball and have Cliff go high post and side to side in lane to get
Kofi tired.
4) Cliff should be aggressive and go up strong and use shot fakes to try to
draw fouls.
5) See if he bites on pick and rolls and exploit mismatches if he does.
All of this requires skills that we have not seen demonstrated so far this season.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Rhode Island actually did something like this when we had Roy Hinson. Some guy named Chris Cummings who hardly played came in and goaded Hinson into a fight and it worked.
Anyone remember that thug that GW had in the late 80s? He was good for that. I think Gimblestob was the coach.

Cliff will have 2 fouls within the first minute and a half. To get a jump on the officiating complaints, who are tonight’s officials and where do they hail from and what school did they graduate?
I was going to post the over/under for 2 fouls at 5 minutes
I think they may call a charge on him in the locker room before he comes out

Anyone remember that thug that GW had in the late 80s? He was good for that. I think Gimblestob was the coach.
I remember that but thought it might have been James Bailey who got sucked into a fight. ‘‘Twas long ago, but I was there for it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT