ADVERTISEMENT

Sustained Success or Flash in the pan

Mbash93

Senior
Jan 23, 2012
Monroe Township, NJ
Do you guys think under pikiell our future will be able to sustain the success that he has brought us the last two years or will we revert to the days of the past where we would get close only to fall short or suffer late season collapses and miss the tourney all together.

I am hoping that we become a team that has NCAA tourney hopes year in and year out, with the occasional 3-5 seed mixed in.

I expect that we won't make the tourney year in and year out but should be at least hovering around the bubble from time to time.

Did we get lucky with Geo Harper and Johnson panning out, or can we build on this?

Reactions: RUDead
Pike has shown a pretty good eye for players ...including the ones that developed elsewhere (Alvarado, Macclung, Eugene O, Kiss)....

talent evaluation of high school kids really matters ...and pike seems to have done pretty good st that ....

Pike has shown a pretty good eye for players ...including the ones that developed elsewhere (Alvarado, Macclung, Eugene O, Kiss)....

talent evaluation of high school kids really matters ...and pike seems to have done pretty good st that ....

Idk if I would include Kiss in there, he has performed well against very low levels of competition. Hasn't done anything against power 5 teams.

Yea he had a decent game vs seton hall and gonzaga a few years ago but nothing while at RU

Reactions: RU_DIO
We're not going to go from 30 years of missing the tournament to being in every year. Even Scott Drew at Baylor went:

Miss
Miss
Miss
Miss
Make
Miss
Make
Miss
Make
Miss

So that's 4 years not in right when he arrived, then only in 3 of the next 6.

If we make 3 of the next 6 tournaments I'll be ecstatic.

Reactions: Terry_2426
We need either significant development from the younger guys (Oskar, Dean and Mawot) on the roster or some influx of a ready to play transfer or two to remain at the current level. The next two years will be interesting given the amount of roster turnover during that period. It is reasonable to expect annual recruiting efforts to include at least one highly regarded (Cliff/Jaden Jones) addition given recent results and the facilities upgrade.

Reactions: bac2therac
Do you guys think under pikiell our future will be able to sustain the success that he has brought us the last two years or will we revert to the days of the past where we would get close only to fall short or suffer late season collapses and miss the tourney all together.

I am hoping that we become a team that has NCAA tourney hopes year in and year out, with the occasional 3-5 seed mixed in.

I expect that we won't make the tourney year in and year out but should be at least hovering around the bubble from time to time.

Did we get lucky with Geo Harper and Johnson panning out, or can we build on this?
I graduated in '89, so I went thru the Littlepage years; I honestly do not think we will go through that kind of drought again.. A lot of what caused the last 30 or more years was very bad coaching hires. I think Pike will continue to give us a chance at the postseason most years, which is the most we should expect; a fighting chance.

I think success will continue as long as Pike is here. Whatever holes we have in the roster will be filled by the transfer portal. I think kids want to play for PIke and they will also want to play with Cliff and Jaden.

We're not going to go from 30 years of missing the tournament to being in every year. Even Scott Drew at Baylor went:

Miss
Miss
Miss
Miss
Make
Miss
Make
Miss
Make
Miss

So that's 4 years not in right when he arrived, then only in 3 of the next 6.

If we make 3 of the next 6 tournaments I'll be ecstatic.
Sorry, I'm giddy right now with two years in a row. With that said, I want to be in the tournament every year. I would love it when and if Rutgers misses out on a tournament bid, THAT makes the news.

Reactions: KevH and bigmatt718
I have been a season ticket holder for the last 20+ years, I was just curious what the sentiment was.
However long someone has been a ticketholder really is not the issue. I have no problem with your questions, as I am sure plenty of people have had the same thought. Your timing is the issue. Let's enjoy the ride and worry about what the future holds when this years ride is over.

Reactions: rubaseball78
if you can't tell that pike has built an ethos here, i don't know. Not like he knocked it out of the park with one specific class or got a couple 1 and dones to get here

However long someone has been a ticketholder really is not the issue. I have no problem with your questions, as I am sure plenty of people have had the same thought. Your timing is the issue. Let's enjoy the ride and worry about what the future holds when this years ride is over.
👍

I see the 18-19 season as slightly below a long-term average. Maybe a little depressing on the whole, but it'll be interesting and the RAC will be rocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT