ADVERTISEMENT

Tai Strickland

1 on the banks is better than 1 not guaranteed for the future. I like Strickland’s game, and think the ru staff has better chances with him than a highly recruited Mulcahy.

From what I've heard, RU has a very good chance with Mulcahy (as of now... recruiting can always change).

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
1 on the banks is better than 1 not guaranteed for the future. I like Strickland’s game, and think the ru staff has better chances with him than a highly recruited Mulcahy.

Highly recruited Mulcahy?

I guess he could get more offers in the summer... But, his current offers don't scream Highly Recruited. Rutgers, Seton Hall, George Washington and some more locals.

Mulcahy's offers, per a different site: BC, Marquette, Northwestern, UMass, URI, RU, St. Joe's, SHU, SMU, Temple, Xavier with interest from Maryland and Villanova.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I believe Strickland and Mulcahy could both fit quite well into RU's plans. Paul can also play the wing (point forward) or the 2G as well as being a point guard. We need as many good players as we can get.It would be really nice to have two sons of former NBA stars on our team. That would be pretty neat.

I don't see Mulcahy as anything other than a point guard, although he has the size to play the other positions. I'd project him a guy who gives energy off the bench playing 10-15 MPG.

I don't see Mulcahy as anything other than a point guard, although he has the size to play the other positions. I'd project him a guy who gives energy off the bench playing 10-15 MPG.

Interesting. Lots of recruiting people project him to be much better than that.

Also, at a Court Club meeting this year, Pikiell says ultimately he’d love to have two players with PG skills on the floor at the same time.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Interesting. Lots of recruiting people project him to be much better than that.

What the heck do I know. I saw him play one game and I don't watch HS players so I really don't have much to go on. I saw a funky shot and not overly athletic. it doesn't mean he can't improve. i get the sense he made some passes that don't work in a D1 basketball game. I suppose seeing him in a AAU game might be a better judge.

Reactions: dpwhite
Like Sanders and Baker. They took turns as the primary ball handler.

My guess would be Mulcahy would be more "1" than either of them. I don't expect Mulcahy to have Sanders "handle" though.

In a perfect world we get both Mulcahy and Strickland and Baker is the "2". I suppose the best best case scenario is Mathis comes in and is better than Baker.

I've seen Paul play 3 times this past season and twice last year. He is a very good player. I would think he would play a lot more than 10-15 minutes per game. He is a real competitor who will take it at anyone on the floor. He would be a big help to RU.

I've seen him several times and I think Greenie has it correct.

He's a rotation guy-----nothing wrong with that-----they're needed.

I've seen Paul play 3 times this past season and twice last year. He is a very good player. I would think he would play a lot more than 10-15 minutes per game. He is a real competitor who will take it at anyone on the floor. He would be a big help to RU.

I am guessing you saw him play against better competition than I did. No need to add color. :smiley:

Watching high level basketball the past few weeks it makes me really see value in the "high volume" shooter. Don't see that here, but it doesn't mean in the next 18 months he can't get it.

From what I've heard, RU has a very good chance with Mulcahy (as of now... recruiting can always change).

I agree that they do. But, what happens if they take Strickland, who is a PG. Mulcahy is stated he is focusing on playing pg and main ball handler from here on out.

You think he’s afraid of competition?

We are not the players, lol. They see someone that just played 35 minutes the previous year and hit .34 on their three point shots, had 6 assist, and didn't turn the ball over? Realistically, what is their chance at taking that position?

They move on to the team that either has a weak player there the previous year, or their main player is graduating. A leaf can be hit by the wind, but a stone is not going anywhere.

Mulcahy is going to an AUU team this summer and they gave the PG spot only to him. That's where he wants to be. If Strickland is there for next year and is killing it, he may look elsewhere.

We are not the players, lol. They see someone that just played 35 minutes the previous year and hit .34 on their three point shots, had 6 assist, and didn't turn the ball over? Realistically, what is their chance at taking that position?

They move on to the team that either has a weak player there the previous year, or their main player is graduating. A leaf can be hit by the wind, but a stone is not going anywhere.

Mulcahy is going to an AUU team this summer and they gave the PG spot only to him. That's where he wants to be. If Strickland is there for next year and is killing it, he may look elsewhere.

You're overthinking this.

Lol, he also has offers from Temple, Rhode Island, Northwestern, Marquette.

Bigger schools than you listed.

Reactions: BLewis1968

Geo can play off the ball too. He's a combo guard. Tai is a true PG, yes? I see Mulcahy has a point forward. You need more than one ball handler to bring the ball up...not sure why we wouldn't want all 3 of these guys and why they couldn't see that they could all play together

This is literally how every good program builds. They get quality players at every position in multiple classes. If a kid wants to come here and be part of the turnaround, they’d want to be one of many pieces, not required to play 40 mpg

You're overthinking this.

I am just stating how players think now. Not ten years ago. The game has changed. They say they want the competition, but only if they see what is already there is able to be moved.

I am not losing sleep over this stuff. Strickland or Mulcahy will perform fine here.

This is literally how every good program builds. They get quality players at every position in multiple classes. If a kid wants to come here and be part of the turnaround, they’d want to be one of many pieces, not required to play 40 mpg

The top kids are coming in to take a position, which is what DP is referring to.

Is that position able to be taken?That is the thing I think about.

Geo can play off the ball too. He's a combo guard. Tai is a true PG, yes? I see Mulcahy has a point forward. You need more than one ball handler to bring the ball up...not sure why we wouldn't want all 3 of these guys and why they couldn't see that they could all play together

I just see that Mulcahy has mentioned he wants mainly PG roles. They want things, and the staffs role is to tell them they can provide them. Peoples opinions differ.

I am just stating how players think now. Not ten years ago. The game has changed. They say they want the competition, but only if they see what is already there is able to be moved.

I am not losing sleep over this stuff. Strickland AND Mulcahy will perform fine here.

fixed

One, both or neither may come but I doubt it'll be because one wants the position all to themselves.

Really? The NCAA is not coming after people on Twitter. There are Thousands of Fans tweeting out. Good luck finding me....lol

When they start issuing subpoenas to Twitter and the Rutgers Message board to release subscriber records to get my name I'll get concerned.

It is one of the things that is technically against the rules, but it is impossible to enforce.

Saw him play. Only question is his three point shooting. He can go by most anybody. He's an all Big 10 player as a senior, maybe sooner.

So players now expect to play all 40 mins at their position with no backups on the roster? Ok.
No player should really expect to play 40 minutes.More likely at Rutgers than at elite schools because of the talent disparity requiring players like Sanders to be on the court for at least 35 minutes in highly competitive games.

This season I saw Mulcahy vs. Linden, Newark East Side and Roselle Catholic in the North Parochial B final. I saw him twice last season on Saturdays when there were about 6 games at Roselle Catholic and at Kean.

Greene.....he's a high caliber player that will be very good and he's your type of player....shares the ball, understands angles and what teams are doing.....my only concern is defensively and working on his long range shooting, but the rest of the tools are there....he's not a project all, he's a player on almost any B1G team early in his career, especially in a half court setting.

Ironically, Strickland is another High BB IQ player....trending towards a more efficient and ball movement offense....either or both would be outstanding....We will need a "press break" type of guard, that helps against teams that want to play faster, Strickland can play both tempos, easily.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Love his handle, almost ambidextrous, very balanced, looks like a kid that can penetrate, break down the defense, sees the floor. We need this kid in a big way.

Reactions: MadRU
ADVERTISEMENT