ADVERTISEMENT

This board has gone off the deep end

Ha, like most RU fans, I’ll settle for not blowing a 10 point lead with a minute left to a 1-17 in conference team with an ncaa bid on the line. Or is that asking too much?
What would you have the RU admin do differently to ensure that never happens in the future?

What would you have the RU admin do differently to ensure that never happens in the future?
[/QUOTE

It’s obvious, make you and scarlet shack coaches. Everyone gets an ice cream sandwich and feels good about coming close. No critiques! Everyone is happy!

That's not an answer. I would not be a good choice for head basketball coach, but if you want to pay me Pike's salary I'll take the job anyway.

That's not an answer. I would not be a good choice for head basketball coach, but if you want to pay me Pike's salary I'll take the job anyway.

Don’t sell yourself short! You sound like an excellent candidate for the “race to the middle” crowd. But then again, “I “ truly can’t offer you anything. The AD has to make that decision so you’re not dealing in real life. Please get it together. Sorry. I’m just a donor. What can I do?

Don’t sell yourself short! You sound like an excellent candidate for the “race to the middle” crowd. But then again, “I “ truly can’t offer you anything. The AD has to make that decision so you’re not dealing in real life. Please get it together. Sorry. I’m just a donor. What can I do?
Well, you're the one who wants people to "demand excellence" but you don't specify what that means. "Don't blow leads" is not an actionable objective. You can scream it at Pikiell or the players if you want, but that doesn't require donations.

So, what does this demanding of excellence look like to you? Do you want the AD to fire Pikiell for this? If not.. what action are you looking for from the decision makers you hope to influence with your money?

Don't confuse throwing a tantrum with demanding excellence. That's just performative nonsense.

Reactions: dpwhite
You are every reason from an alum/fan standpoint that RU sucked for decades. If you don’t demand excellence, you don’t get it. Time to expect more.
Such a dumb take. Yes, fans demanding and bitching more on a message board always leads to success.

Well, you're the one who wants people to "demand excellence" but you don't specify what that means. "Don't blow leads" is not an actionable objective. You can scream it at Pikiell or the players if you want, but that doesn't require donations.

So, what does this demanding of excellence look like to you? Do you want the AD to fire Pikiell for this? If not.. what action are you looking for from the decision makers you hope to influence with your money?

Don't confuse throwing a tantrum with demanding excellence. That's just performative nonsense.
Don’t engage him. It’s an age-old message board lament born out of frustration.

Not sure where you’re projecting my reaction but I never screamed about anything.

My comments simply come from the OP being ok with losing to an inferior opponent in a key moment. My feeling is no one should be ok with this loss tonight. And if excellence isn’t expected, its not delivered. Are you in business or what? I run a business and it’s demanded that i deliver daily.

You’re simply not understanding where im coming from. Im condemning the OP, not Pike. Its ok to hold the players responsible. Its ok to be pissed at the result bc higher expectations lead to higher results. RU has sucked forever in large part bc the fans have been ok with whatever. You think UNC fans are ok with missing a tournament? You don’t think that they don’t control behavior? If Hubert Davis misses this year, his job is on the line next year. That’s how exceptional programs operate. Why shouldn’t RU fans feel similarly? Historically RU fans have allowed poor performance to be the norm. So don’t tell fans this is ok. My whole point to this is the OP needs to stop being ok with this sort of loss. Bc it matters that the fans don’t accept mediocrity.

How would I change tonight other than localized decisions? I could not bc I love Pike. He made bad coaching decisions tonight. I’m not calling for his removal, I’m a huge Pike fan. He has done an incredible job overall. I want him here for a long time. He mishandled tonight, as well as his players did. I guarantee you that Pike expects better from himself than he gave tonight. I also guarantee he understands and expects fans to be pissed tonight.

Just please don’t tell me that I should be ok with what happened tonight as the OP was doing. That’s my point. No one should be ok with tonight.

Embrace buying players.

Screw this “honor” crap. The heartbreak isn’t worth it. My health can’t take this anymore.

If there is no meltdown after the way that game ended, against an opponent having that season, with the NCAA bid either about to be locked up or placed in complete jeopardy, then there will never be a meltdown.

I love our program, and love rooting for everyone wearing our school's name. These guys have taken us on an awesome ride. They were on the verge of the 3rd tourney in a row, something never accomplished before at Rutgers. After that ending? Cue up Eminem "Lose yourself" on Sunday night. We've got one shot to dance now (barring that tiny chance of winning the conference tournament). Go win Sunday. Legacy is in the balance.

What bugged me and said it at time. 70-60 and Minnesota with Garcia scored in like 10 seconds . Said at time scored too fast. Maybe play more zone and they take more time to score. Things like that and Hyatt dumb play.

fans are bitching about the season overall; they are bitching about yesterdays game ; and players play recently, that’s it. No one is going to say after the game; well we lost ron and geo from last year so we shouldn’t have won a game vs the last place team up 10 with a minute left that would have clinched a tourney birth. I don’t care what kind of team you have , you can’t blow a lead like that with a minute left and except people not to bitch

Reactions: RUJMM78
If the talent was not there….yet I could live with a rebuild. This year is not a rebuild. These last few losses have more to do with mental breakdowns then lack of playmakers. The last few seasons Geo and Ron fought to take the last shot. Now I get that they were not always made but they were not afraid. Last night was horrible. No one except Cam wanted to shoot the ball late

Reactions: shields and Shell21
I don't think the meat grinder analogy works for this outcome. Minnesota played a pretty good game but are clearly the worst team in the league. That was not a hostile environment last night either.

You can't lose that game, particularly in that manner and not expect a pretty emotional reaction from a group that is probably too invested in this team. For those like me who have trouble sleeping after watching a game like that, the only good thing is that it it was a 7pm start and that it probably takes my interest down a better place going forward. This team is not going on a run in any tournament it makes.

Even though I have had a realistic outlook for the team (particularly post Mag), which I think is just average, you still just cannot lose that game under those circumstances. It leaves you sitting there incredulous as to how it happened. In the span of 5 days we have witnessed the full spectrum of Jim McKay on Wide World of Sport "the thrill of victory (PSU) and the agony of defeat (Minn).

Agree Rufeelinit. Way they lost that game was a joke. As soon as Garcia scored so fast to make it 70-62 I had a bad feeling.

I am not okay with this loss. Badly coached and badly executed. But you gotta love the "I'm in business" line that people roll out... apples and oranges.

Reactions: shields
Not sure where you’re projecting my reaction but I never screamed about anything.

My comments simply come from the OP being ok with losing to an inferior opponent in a key moment. My feeling is no one should be ok with this loss tonight. And if excellence isn’t expected, its not delivered. Are you in business or what? I run a business and it’s demanded that i deliver daily.

You’re simply not understanding where im coming from. Im condemning the OP, not Pike. Its ok to hold the players responsible. Its ok to be pissed at the result bc higher expectations lead to higher results. RU has sucked forever in large part bc the fans have been ok with whatever. You think UNC fans are ok with missing a tournament? You don’t think that they don’t control behavior? If Hubert Davis misses this year, his job is on the line next year. That’s how exceptional programs operate. Why shouldn’t RU fans feel similarly? Historically RU fans have allowed poor performance to be the norm. So don’t tell fans this is ok. My whole point to this is the OP needs to stop being ok with this sort of loss. Bc it matters that the fans don’t accept mediocrity.

How would I change tonight other than localized decisions? I could not bc I love Pike. He made bad coaching decisions tonight. I’m not calling for his removal, I’m a huge Pike fan. He has done an incredible job overall. I want him here for a long time. He mishandled tonight, as well as his players did. I guarantee you that Pike expects better from himself than he gave tonight. I also guarantee he understands and expects fans to be pissed tonight.

Just please don’t tell me that I should be ok with what happened tonight as the OP was doing. That’s my point. No one should be ok with tonight.
Rutgers has sucked forever, but this coach hasn't. Last night was brutal, but the future of Rutgers Basketball has never been brighter.

Rebuilding is just an excuse. Yes, we lost Harper which was big. Many expected Cam to take Geo’s place. Then you expect the core players (Paul, Caleb, Cliff, Hyatt, and Mag) and the role players from last year (Reiber) to improve and take a step forward but the truth is that only Mag had improved, Cliff and Hyatt have arguably stagnated while and Paul, Caleb and Reiber have regressed.

Last edited:
…seriously.

Heaven forbid we ever have a full rebuilding year …
10 pt. lead with minutes to go against by far the worst team in the B1G on a 12 game losing streak? Any fanbase in the country with a shot at the NCAA'S would be going absolutely ape sh*t. Don't act like this board is some type of unique situation.

Last edited:
This. People just had tremendously out of touch expectations. This was always a rebuild year. The purdue win mentally fvcked alot of people
You're just not Demanding Excellence (TM). If you think about it, you're the reason we lost!

This. People just had tremendously out of touch expectations. This was always a rebuild year. The purdue win mentally fvcked alot of people
There’s a difference between a rebuilding year and blowing a 10 point lead with a minute 15 against Minnesota for a tourney bid. I know this is Rutgers, but we are allowed to outperform every once in awhile. That’s not too much to ask

Reactions: bac2therac
Very tough loss. But the team and it’s 20 something year old players will move on…likely more resilient having experienced this. Virtually all teams experience excruciating incomprehensible losses. Most of the teams in the B1G are basically .500 in conference. In reality, do we have more talented players than these other .500 teams? No. Very possibly yes in the near future.
Hopefully our fans can move on. There is still a lot to play for this season. Let’s see how the team responds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT