ADVERTISEMENT

This Win is on Pike Too!

I'm in. He pushed the right button at some point and freed the blockage.
Give him his due.

Imagine you are an Indiana fan and Tom cream brings you to 4 NCAA tournaments in 9 years. The first couple they had some issues to deal with due to kelvin samspon(i think). You fire crean because 4 in 9 years and multiple 20 win seasons was not enough so you hire Archie and in 4 years haven’t gone to a tournament since and won less than 20 games 3/4 years...

Please stop talking shit about pikiell. We don’t want to be Indiana

Great coaching making 10 3 pointers in a row.
Giving credit and saying something positive is just not part of your DNA. 😲

giphy.gif

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Listen, I’ve given the coaching staff a lot of shit this year, but that was a phenomenally coached game from the eight minute mark or so of the first half through the final whistle. Stop it.
What exactly did Pikiell do differently the last 32 minutes that he didn’t do in the previous 48?

we finally caught fire and Indiana never recovered when they lost the lead. Throwing alley oops in transition against a team that didn’t get back on D or didn’t defend cuts off the ball isn’t coaching.

let’s also not forget Indiana had a key injury and their 2nd best player in the 1st 8 minutes appeared to get “Bo’d” and got saddled with foul trouble.

I think we have phenomenal coaches. The only time this year I had any issues were in our 1st slump and they got it fixed. Coaches can’t shoot the ball. While people were saying pike did a bad job in the MD game maybe the way he has navigated Harper from start of MD game to 8 minutes thru IU could be the coaching that won this game.

I love Pike.... but yeaaaa coaches look like geniuses when the 3's start falling
He taught Mathis how to catch a ball on a full sprint and throw it down 11 feet in the air.

He retaught Ron had to shoot from 3

He worked with Jacob’s lateral quickness and has continued giving him adhesive stars for his effort hounding opposing 1s

Reactions: Pancho1939
Glad he’s getting credit but the team played about as well as they could. Everyone was unselfish. Lots of hustle and effort to go around. Star players diving for loose balls. That’s a great jo by the staff and the players.

Last edited:
We came out soft and not ready to play. Going unconscious from 3 isn’t good coaching.
I somewhat agree, but down 23-8 I said to my wife man Pine is still so positive on the sidelines. He is not yelling. His enthusiasm can keep a player going. That said the bottom line is we are a good team when Harper makes threes. It gives the rest of the team so much confidence. We are a top 10 team when Harper plays like he did last night.

Reactions: BillyC80
All agreed that he waited too long to call a time out in the first half, but since we won it doesn’t matter now

Pike waits too long to call time outs. That’s a macro issue . And many agreed wirh me. In retrospect it doesn’t matter
I don’t agree at all. In fact it drives me crazy when he calls one after say the other team scores 6 points in a row (which is just statistical noise). Time outs are not cure all’s and if you use them up you have none for half-end and game end situations. It might be an interesting masters thesis to study whether time outs to reverse momentum are at all effective. I would bet they are not.

Personally I think the button was pushed cause the players could hear their families in the stands finally to pick them up when they were down
Just imagine we couldn't safely fit about 20 to 30 family members safely into a 8,000 seat venue prior lol. That's a shame but oh well, moving forward.

What exactly did Pikiell do differently the last 32 minutes that he didn’t do in the previous 48?

we finally caught fire and Indiana never recovered when they lost the lead. Throwing alley oops in transition against a team that didn’t get back on D or didn’t defend cuts off the ball isn’t coaching.

let’s also not forget Indiana had a key injury and their 2nd best player in the 1st 8 minutes appeared to get “Bo’d” and got saddled with foul trouble.

I think we have phenomenal coaches. The only time this year I had any issues were in our 1st slump and they got it fixed. Coaches can’t shoot the ball. While people were saying pike did a bad job in the MD game maybe the way he has navigated Harper from start of MD game to 8 minutes thru IU could be the coaching that won this game.

Perhaps he finally laid into the guys or did/said something during that TO that really got them going? I wasn't in the huddle nor did TV cover it so I wouldn't know. A switch was flipped, clearly. How, what, who I don't know. And yeah, I know seeing the ball go thru the rim makes a difference. But something or somebody started it all. The defense turned it up too. Big time so it wasn't just the 3's. And he let them run and held the ball for 25 seconds far and few.

Reactions: BillyC80
Maybe it was the matchup with Indiana more than the lineup....

Maybe RU is more athletic and quicker.....

Maybe Indiana has guards that can play a pack-line defense but they don't have the size at guard to bother a Geo Baker.

Maybe if Indiana didn't shoot lights out from 3 in the 1st matchup, the 1st matchup would have looked like last night.

The silly stuff of one lineup being the solution tonight makes no sense.....RU controlled the game in Bloomington wire to wire and outside of a very erratic 1st 8 to 10 minutes tonight, controlled the tempo and dictated play.

And despite what matchup you want to equate this to, when Myles Johnson gets dunk after dunk and erases 5 shots in the 1st game and 7 tonight, it is the matchup with the opponent.

RU could have run any combination of lineups with Myles and Geo and Indiana does not offer an answer for either player.

Onto Nebraska and for those who ignored the results of around the rest of college basketball, the teams that needed to win, fell further off the proverbial bubble.

And for those that may have missed it.....RU is at Minnesota next Saturday at Noon, on a national broadcast on FOX.....it is the 1st national broadcast of RU basketball that has ever happened in recent memory.....that doesn't include ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, BTN, etc.

It is a big change of scenery to have RU in their final regular season B1G game, land on a national broadcast on FOX.....does that impact perception in the region.....YEP......does that mean it impacts recruiting (even in a small way.....)...?? YEP......does that mean the rebuild and job done over these last 3 years has been pretty much cemented a status that RU has arrived??? YEP......

I somewhat agree, but down 23-8 I said to my wife man Pine is still so positive on the sidelines. He is not yelling. His enthusiasm can keep a player going. That said the bottom line is we are a good team when Harper makes threes. It gives the rest of the team so much confidence. We are a top 10 team when Harper plays like he did last night.
did she ask who pine was

njh....agree with everything except this is 2021. young people stream on fox sports app. fox, fs1, btn it is all there. when it isnt (which is rare) go to espn app

Perhaps he finally laid into the guys or did/said something during that TO that really got them going? I wasn't in the huddle nor did TV cover it so I wouldn't know. A switch was flipped, clearly. How, what, who I don't know. And yeah, I know seeing the ball go thru the rim makes a difference. But something or somebody started it all. The defense turned it up too. Big time so it wasn't just the 3's. And he let them run and held the ball for 25 seconds far and few.
i did see pike reach in to a sash and sprinkle something invisible on the huddle

I don’t agree at all. In fact it drives me crazy when he calls one after say the other team scores 6 points in a row (which is just statistical noise). Time outs are not cure all’s and if you use them up you have none for half-end and game end situations. It might be an interesting masters thesis to study whether time outs to reverse momentum are at all effective. I would bet they are not.
archie was a genius for calling a TO after ru 1st possession in 2nd half.

Very good post. I think that the issues that Indy had were a factor, so it's perceptive that you mentioned it. Thompson was wearing a mask for the first time and Franklin only played 17 minutes due to injury. RU played good D in the second half and obviously hitting their shots were the main factors in the win, but Thompson and Franklin are good players and they weren't at full capacity last night.

Very good post. I think that the issues that Indy had were a factor, so it's perceptive that you mentioned it. Thompson was wearing a mask for the first time and Franklin only played 17 minutes due to injury. RU played good D in the second half and obviously hitting their shots were the main factors in the win, but Thompson and Franklin are good players and they weren't at full capacity last night.
That’s part of the grind in the BIG. We went through it as well. I have no sympathy for Indiana as a team but hope this kids come back from their injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT