ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on cool pool I'm in

SkilletHead2

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2005
New Zealand
Hey Guys,

I'm in a pool where you get to pick 10 teams. Each time one of your teams wins, you get the number of points as that team's seed.

Thus, if you pick a 12 and they win their first two games and then lose, you get 24 points.

Picking #1 or #2 seeds gets you very little. The key here is to pick lower teams that will win a couple.

So, who is out there who is a lower seed that could win a couple? Even a #7 winning two games is worth picking.

Any thoughts?

Skillet

Reactions: biazza38
Hey Guys,

I'm in a pool where you get to pick 10 teams. Each time one of your teams wins, you get the number of points as that team's seed.

Thus, if you pick a 12 and they win their first two games and then lose, you get 24 points.

Picking #1 or #2 seeds gets you very little. The key here is to pick lower teams that will win a couple.

So, who is out there who is a lower seed that could win a couple? Even a #7 winning two games is worth picking.

Any thoughts?

Skillet

I have St Mary’s, Iowa State and Syracuse in my Sweet 16

The pool I'm in is setup like a Super Bowl Box. You get a winning team # and a losing team #, and those are your numbers for all 63 games plus a 64 th chance with the Final game 1/2 time score. You can win multiple times as many do every year. Makes every game exciting. This year I have 3 boxes, Winning team 3,losing team 1, winning team 2 losing team 4, and winning team 1 losing team 9. Example final score of any game played is 83-81 or 63-51 I'd win in that box. So many games your sitting there hoping for the frontend of a 1 and 1 or you need a 3 and hope the other team makes 2 on the backend,just crazy watching games in this pool!!!

The pool I'm in is setup like a Super Bowl Box. You get a winning team # and a losing team #, and those are your numbers for all 63 games plus a 64 th chance with the Final game 1/2 time score. You can win multiple times as many do every year. Makes every game exciting. This year I have 3 boxes, Winning team 3,losing team 1, winning team 2 losing team 4, and winning team 1 losing team 9. Example final score of any game played is 83-81 or 63-51 I'd win in that box. So many games your sitting there hoping for the frontend of a 1 and 1 or you need a 3 and hope the other team makes 2 on the backend,just crazy watching games in this pool!!!
I’ve been in this type of pool for years. Best thing is once my bracket is busted I still have a way to win

Hey Guys,

Any thoughts?

Skillet
Uc Irvine, Murray State,Florida, Oregon, New Mexico State can win a game. Heck even Yale can win one .Good luck.

Reactions: Scangg and gregkoko

I am also in a similar pool for about 5 years. It is a lot of fun.

It started as a $50 box pool and was very successful so he added a $100 box pool. That one filled quickly so now he runs a $200 pool too. Our numbers suck this year. $200 is 2-2, $100 is 1-0, $50 is 3-3 ......sheesh. Obviously, there are a bunch of us that split the boxes......that's a lot of $$$$$.

Instead of weighting them 1 thru 16 why don't they just make it like 3 thru 18 or 4 thru 19. Silly to take 1 and 2 seeds and throw them out...

Just take seed +2 or seed +3 for every win.

I know a guy that runs same type of pool from Freehold

If you have a Reddit account, check this contest out:

Goal is to come up with correct answers to questions like "Name a player who will record a double-double during the tournament" but you score more points if fewer people also select your answer. So you can take Zion and he'll do it but probably a lot of others will too.

If you know which two that would help! :sunglasses:
Actually, in the pool I'm in, it doesn't matter. I get to pick 10 teams. Other people can pick these teams as well. You just have to have a unique set of 10 (first person in with that set gets it -- don't believe there has ever been identical sets and we've been doing this for about 6-8 years).

As for the top teams not getting picked (another post), who cares? This is about picking the teams that are underrated in the pool.

And THANKS for the help. I did this last year and followed the suggestions that were made. Finished 18th out of 22.

I'm in a similar pool, accumulating points based on seed number. You pick one team in each of the four brackets plus one wildcard team. Also a final championship game point total for the tiebreaker.

For the heck of it, I'll post my picks in a bit.

Edit... Here goes. Two "pending" entries:

#1. Maryland 6; Washington 9; Murray St. 12; Oklahoma 9; WC: Louisville 7

#2. Miss St. 5; Ohio St. 11; Syracuse 8; Oregon 12; WC: Cincinnati 7.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a site to get in one of these pools with the seeds counting as points?

I'm in a similar pool, accumulating points based on seed number. You pick one team in each of the four brackets plus one wildcard team. Also a final championship game point total for the tiebreaker.

For the heck of it, I'll post my picks in a bit.

Edit... Here goes. Two "pending" entries:

#1. Maryland 6; Washington 9; Murray St. 12; Oklahoma 9; WC: Louisville 7

#2. Miss St. 5; Ohio St. 11; Syracuse 8; Oregon 12; WC: Cincinnati 7.

So... after further analysis and careful "strategerification," here is what I submitted to a "Seed Pool":

Entry #1:
Eastern: Maryland (6)
Midwest: Washington (9)
West: Murray State (12)
South: UC-Irvine (13)
Wildcard: Oregon (12)
Tiebreaker: 141

Entry #2:
Eastern: Belmont (11)
Midwest: New Mexico St. (12)
West: Syracuse (8)
South: Oregon (12)
Wildcard: Florida State (4)
Tiebreaker: 142

So... after further analysis and careful "strategerification," here is what I submitted to a "Seed Pool":

Entry #1:
Eastern: Maryland (6)
Midwest: Washington (9)
West: Murray State (12)
South: UC-Irvine (13)
Wildcard: Oregon (12)
Tiebreaker: 141

Entry #2:
Eastern: Belmont (11)
Midwest: New Mexico St. (12)
West: Syracuse (8)
South: Oregon (12)
Wildcard: Florida State (4)
Tiebreaker: 142

Entry #1 is in First Place and looking good. All teams won! Woooo Hoooooo!!!

Congrats! I think Washington is done now but the others all have a chance to add to your score.

The lifeguard tells me the only threat to me is if Liberty wins another game, and even then, next closest entry needs some additional "help."

Go Terps!

Hah! Auburn beating Kentucky busted me. "If" UK won, I would have taken the pool. Damn those Tigers!

Uc Irvine, Murray State,Florida, Oregon, New Mexico State can win a game. Heck even Yale can win one .Good luck.
Skillethead? Did you take my suggestions ? If so, how did you do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT