ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman: Chris Ash 'is the best there is in the country

Drug test is in order.

What so many fail to see is that people build up those they hire to try to perpetuate a belief. As I’ve said before, I think Hobbs wanted a quick hire and then would say “the best interview ever.” He would have said that irrespective of whom he hired to try to build momentum. Same thing in Texas now. It’s part of a sales strategy philosophy I don’ t adhere to but many buy into.

Last edited:
[roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll][roll]

DC. Peter Principle?
I honestly do not know what his level should be. Perhaps there is a place somewhere that he could succeed as a HC but not as a DC. When I look at his time at OSU.. was he really ever the brain behind that defense? Ever? I don't think so. I think it was Cincinnatti's HC Luke Fickel.

I honestly do not know what his level should be. Perhaps there is a place somewhere that he could succeed as a HC but not as a DC. When I look at his time at OSU.. was he really ever the brain behind that defense? Ever? I don't think so. I think it was Cincinnatti's HC Luke Fickel.

I think he’s a good DC. Lousy fit as HC there . He might turn out being a good HC someday in the Midwest . We paid him handsomely to train and fail.

Reactions: RU-05 and beaced
By the title alone, Ash may very well be "the best there is in the country"...at what exactly, I have no idea. What I do know, is that it certainly has nothing to do with football. Carry on...

I think he’s been working for Herman all along, what Hobbs hired was the 3-D printed version of Chris Ash, similar to invasion of the body snatchers.

Coming from a head coach that to his credit seems to be a good used car salesman.

but he sucks, Texas football sucks and Ash positively sucks!

Oh, dear lord, we should have followed the plan!

t2oCVih.jpg

I have no doubts he is a good DC. That's much different than being a good head coach.

One of those things he is good at. The other he is the worst in the country.

Reactions: daneman100
The vitriol directed at Ash is understandable considering his morbid failure as RU's head coach. However, that does not detract from his abilities at coaching defense as a position coach or coordinator. So Tom Herman could be right.
The problem here and on most of social media is people want to take a snippet or a title "Tom Herman:Chris Ash is the best there is in the country" and twist it to fit a narrative. What he actually said was: “I don't claim to be the foremost expert on defenses or be a defensive coordinator by any stretch, but I do know that the guy that I hired is the best there is in the country.”

Maybe he is right, or at least partially right. Some argued his defenses were better than Schiano's defenses at Ohio State, and those arguments are somewhat nonsensical because there were different players and issues in the different seasons Ash and Schiano were coordinators/co-coordinators. What matters most to the head coach and his coordinators and positions coaches is their philosophies are aligned and they are on the same page. So for Tom Herman, Chris Ash is the best for him and his team. No problem with that.

Reactions: RU Golfer and ru66
The vitriol directed at Ash is understandable considering his morbid failure as RU's head coach. However, that does not detract from his abilities at coaching defense as a position coach or coordinator. So Tom Herman could be right.
The problem here and on most of social media is people want to take a snippet or a title "Tom Herman:Chris Ash is the best there is in the country" and twist it to fit a narrative. What he actually said was: “I don't claim to be the foremost expert on defenses or be a defensive coordinator by any stretch, but I do know that the guy that I hired is the best there is in the country.”

Maybe he is right, or at least partially right. Some argued his defenses were better than Schiano's defenses at Ohio State, and those arguments are somewhat nonsensical because there were different players and issues in the different seasons Ash and Schiano were coordinators/co-coordinators. What matters most to the head coach and his coordinators and positions coaches is their philosophies are aligned and they are on the same page. So for Tom Herman, Chris Ash is the best for him and his team. No problem with that.

I think he meant: Chris Ash is the best there is in the country at cashing checks so I don't have to pay him..........

didn't he lose to Flood twice as a coordinator ?

didn't he lose to Flood twice as a coordinator ?
Coordinators don't lose to head coaches. That's a false narrative. Are you talking about Ash coaching Arkansas as DC? He was only DC there for 2013. In the 2013 game, the Arkansas defense force 2 fumbles and had one interception, and their offense scored only 24 points. Is that Ash's fault?

Reactions: Greg2020
Coordinators don't lose to head coaches. That's a false narrative. Are you talking about Ash coaching Arkansas as DC? He was only DC there for 2013. In the 2013 game, the Arkansas defense force 2 fumbles and had one interception, and their offense scored only 24 points. Is that Ash's fault?
But how many points did his d give up?

You really used a whole bunch of words to say a whole lotta nothing.

Those two quotes say the same thing, btw, and not the same thing as what you amended.

Reactions: Greg2020
I think he is a very good DC!

But as a head coach he was clueless at RU.
Ya know.. I doubted Ash above.. but late in his few years here, he did get the D working very hard at times. And they had an especially tough road to hoe.. with the time of possession never helpful.. lots of turnovers.. decreasing talent level.. maybe he can git er done with talent provided by someone else at a school that dominates its own giant state.. for the most part.

Last edited:
Theres a lot if factors why Ash could not cut the mustard here
1) No HC experience should have started a MAC not at B1G like the row the Boat Guy. You are not learning o the job in the B1G
2) was not given any money for a staff. His staff was weak very weak
3) midwest guy not an NJ guy. You have to know this area and the heartbeat of this area
4) recruiting was weak see #1 no results no recruits
5) was in way over his head trying to build facilities and coach a team as a 1st time HC, out of the area guy
6) lacks the charisma of a GS
7) unknown commodity there was no negotiating $$ ito hire his staff. Had no juice to do so
8) could just suck as a HC

Reactions: red sail
Theres a lot if factors why Ash could not cut the mustard here
1) No HC experience should have started a MAC not at B1G like the row the Boat Guy. You are not learning o the job in the B1G
2) was not given any money for a staff. His staff was weak very weak
3) midwest guy not an NJ guy. You have to know this area and the heartbeat of this area
4) recruiting was weak see #1 no results no recruits
5) was in way over his head trying to build facilities and coach a team as a 1st time HC, out of the area guy
6) lacks the charisma of a GS
7) unknown commodity there was no negotiating $$ ito hire his staff. Had no juice to do so
8) could just suck as a HC
All of the same could be said for Flood except #3.

The problem here and on most of social media is people want to take a snippet or a title "Tom Herman:Chris Ash is the best there is in the country" and twist it to fit a narrative. What he actually said was: “I don't claim to be the foremost expert on defenses or be a defensive coordinator by any stretch, but I do know that the guy that I hired is the best there is in the country.”knows how to network

I don't buy this narrative that CA is a great DC but was a victim of the peter principle as a HC. Consider his 2013 Ark defense was 89th in the country. 2014 Ark D went all the way up to 10th in the country with CA's replacement. He was only co-DC at OSU and we know all about how superior their players are. He did good at Wisconsin, I'll give him that but it's not like the guy had 10 years, or even 5 as great DC. He had two. That's a small sample. I just think the guy is mediocre to good as a DC but is a great bullsh!tter that knows how to network and sell himself. Suckers like Hobbs took the bait

Ash is only a good DC when his talent favorably matches up or is far superior to his opponent. Those are the only times his risk adverse strategy works. He doesn't scheme his way out of anything. He just makes sure he's in the correct defense for his opponents tendencies based on down and distance. It does take hard work, but becomes robotic without feel for the momentum of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT