ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling UMD Match Cancelled due to COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutgers wrestlers saying MD knew at 10 AM, not 4:15 PM so who's right?

I don't see anything in the RU wrestlers tweets saying the MD coaching staff knew at 10am. Just that the result came back. I believe Clemsen and it makes the most sense, but he definitely should have known sooner. I just don't think there was malice to wait to cancel it so late.

I don't see anything in the RU wrestlers tweets saying the MD coaching staff knew at 10am. Just that the result came back. I believe Clemsen and it makes the most sense, but he definitely should have known sooner. I just don't think there was malice to wait to cancel it so late.
So you don't think the Rutgers coaches told MD coaches about the + test at 10 AM and instead waited until 4:15 PM? Inconceivable

Clemsen didn't have anything to do with the cancellation he was notified at 415pm from his administration that they couldn't wrestle.

I don’t think it’s indicative of the school though. Look at the overall covid rate in New Jersey compared to the other big 10 schools like Ohio, PA, Maryland, Michigan, etc. It’s the geography, not the school or program.
Eh, sure in general but Rider and Drexel aren't having these issues with their wrestling programs and they are in the same geography.

Now did I expect us make it through the whole season without issue? Absolutely not, but like PSU and now Iowa, it appears they were able to get things under control and get on with the season meanwhile ours is still running rampant out of control and we lost half our season. We will now go more than 5 weeks without wrestling a match. That will not bode well for anyone and regardless of the specifics, the optics are horrible for the program and school.

Reactions: koleszar and RC1978
So you don't think the Rutgers coaches told MD coaches about the + test at 10 AM and instead waited until 4:15 PM? Inconceivable

I don't, I'm thinking maybe that's a policy involving the testers/school/administration and not up something the coaches communicate.

I don't, I'm thinking maybe that's a policy involving the testers/school/administration and not up something the coaches communicate.
giphy.gif

Heck I could be wrong, but I think no matter what Clemsen wasn't purposely trying to cancel the dual so late or be malicious. Either the school canceled it on him and he had no choice or he found out late and canceled it then. He's catching a lot of flak and I don't think this late cancellation was anything he hatched up.

Heck I could be wrong, but I think no matter what Clemsen wasn't purposely trying to cancel the dual so late or be malicious. Either the school canceled it on him and he had no choice or he found out late and canceled it then. He's catching a lot of flak and I don't think this late cancellation was anything he hatched up.

It is strange, but Kyle Cochran just tweeted to SeaBass that they were also in the room working out when they found out prior to weigh-ins.
Just a brutal year.

Reactions: Oracle68
Eh, sure in general but Rider and Drexel aren't having these issues with their wrestling programs and they are in the same geography.

Now did I expect us make it through the whole season without issue? Absolutely not, but like PSU and now Iowa, it appears they were able to get things under control and get on with the season meanwhile ours is still running rampant out of control and we lost half our season. We will now go more than 5 weeks without wrestling a match. That will not bode well for anyone and regardless of the specifics, the optics are horrible for the program and school.

The population in the Rider area is way less than the New Brunswick area. The New Jersey Devils had an outbreak that coincided with the Rutgers outbreak as well. North and Central Jersey have been getting rocked by this thing for months.

It sucks for everyone involved but I have a difficult time blaming anyone. This current positive test is likely a carryover from the last few weeks. I don’t think anyone is being irresponsible. I just think it happens and it’s unfortunately happening at the worst time.

The story makes no sense.... There is absolutely NO CHANCE that RU knew at 10am and the Maryland coaches didn't know until 4:15pm unless everyone associated with their athletic department is completely incompetent. That's not even hyperbole. More than likely someone isn't telling the truth and TBH the UMD side of it seems extremely unlikely given the circumstances currently known.

Now maybe there is a piece missing like there was a chance for a retest to see if it was a false positive or something along those lines, so maybe the retest came back positive at 4pm... but as it currently stands there is no way MD wouldn't find out about the positive test until 6 hours a later unless they are complete morons and they deserve to lose their jobs over such gross misconduct.

I don’t think there was any malicious intent on Maryland’s part, and it’s possible the coach didn’t find out until after 4. But somebody on the Maryland side new before noon and the fact that it took allegedly at least 4 hours to inform the Maryland team is just total incompetence on their athletic departments part.

The population in the Rider area is way less than the New Brunswick area. The New Jersey Devils had an outbreak that coincided with the Rutgers outbreak as well. North and Central Jersey have been getting rocked by this thing for months.

It sucks for everyone involved but I have a difficult time blaming anyone. This current positive test is likely a carryover from the last few weeks. I don’t think anyone is being irresponsible. I just think it happens and it’s unfortunately happening at the worst time.

I'm not blaming any individuals, but regardless of what reasons are, the optics are terrible for Rutgers and the wrestling program. There is no denying that.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
The story makes no sense.... There is absolutely NO CHANCE that RU knew at 10am and the Maryland coaches didn't know until 4:15pm unless everyone associated with their athletic department is completely incompetent. That's not even hyperbole. More than likely someone isn't telling the truth and TBH the UMD side of it seems extremely unlikely given the circumstances currently known.

Now maybe there is a piece missing like there was a chance for a retest to see if it was a false positive or something along those lines, so maybe the retest came back positive at 4pm... but as it currently stands there is no way MD wouldn't find out about the positive test until 6 hours a later unless they are complete morons and they deserve to lose their jobs over such gross misconduct.
I don’t think there was any malicious intent on Maryland’s part, and it’s possible the coach didn’t find out until after 4. But somebody on the Maryland side new before noon and the fact that it took allegedly at least 4 hours to inform the Maryland team is just total incompetence on their athletic departments part.
MD allowed us to use their facilities for 6.5 hours before canceling. 6.5 hours. Someone needs to confirm who knew and when.

As much as I support this program, as of now this is a bad look and our wrestlers should stay the F off social media until it gets sorted out. Don’t make a bad situation worse.

As much as I support this program, as of now this is a bad look and our wrestlers should stay the F off social media until it gets sorted out. Don’t make a bad situation worse.
Agreed but they only make it worse if they're wrong 😂.

Anyway, Wisconsin wants no part of Iowa off some covid + and a covid pause...

Reactions: Jersey Boys
The big thing is that the cancellation is the right thing to do for MD. You don't mess around with Covid at this point of the season. As for RU wrestler - this sucks b/c if they were rolling around in the gym with this covid-positive wrestler, they too are exposed to the virus.

The covid test isn't accurate until 4-5 days after the exposure. Which means that if the wrestlers are exposed to this covid-positive wrestler the last couple days, their symptoms will show a few days later, and the covid test they took today is not accurate.

I teach, and I was exposed to 3 students of mine who found out day after my on-site class that they are covid positive. Even though I had my mask on and kept my distance, I tried to get an appointment for a covid testing, and the doctor said exactly that - I need to wait 5 days before my covid test for it to be accurate. If I had taken it the day after my exposure, my test would be negative even if I have the virus, and I would be spreading it to others thinking that I'm negative.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
You only need 4 matches to qualify for NCAAs. Those guys that are short will get at least 1 match at the big 10s. If they need more than 1 well they better win a match then.
You get 2 matches at B1Gs at least. It's not single elimination...they have wrestlebacks don't forget.

I won't be surprised if no wrestlers get to compete at B1G tournament. There are a lot of ifs and unknowns. But, if the virus is as contagious as we are all told to believe, it is likely other(s) also have it. The only way I see anyone getting to compete is if all go into quarantine for the next five or six days, then only healthy wrestlers practice together and quarantine when not at practice.

If it was known at 10:am that a wrestler in attendance tested positive, that's when it should have been canceled - by the first coach to know.
Coaches don't cancel duals the administration does. Once a positive test happens it's out of the coaches hands. Administration gets involved and they make the decisions. Some coaches across the country have told the teams to have covid parties once it hits the team.

I am trying to understand the level of outrage being expressed about Maryland's handling of this matter. What did the UMD coach have to gain by keeping the RU team in their building any longer than absolutely necessary? To some probably minor extent, wasn't he putting his own team at greater risk of contracting COVID? Isn't possible that they were waiting to see if it may have been a false positive that would allow them to hold the match? I thought the decision making process was pretty cut and dry if a positive test occurs the morning of a match but maybe not.

With regard to what this says about the handling of the COVID outbreak within the RU program, how long was the Women's Basketball Team sidelined? Seemed to me they were out for at least three weeks. Perhaps we were pushing the envelope with trying to compete? That would not necessarily be on Goodale since the medical staff would need to clear the participants.

Last edited:
The covid test isn't accurate until 4-5 days after the exposure. Which means that if the wrestlers are exposed to this covid-positive wrestler the last couple days, their symptoms will show a few days later, and the covid test they took today is not accurate.

At our facility, the head of infectious disease has lowered the testing time from exposure to testing and it is now three days. He must have a good data from somewhere to support that decision.

Coaches don't cancel duals the administration does. Once a positive test happens it's out of the coaches hands. Administration gets involved and they make the decisions. Some coaches across the country have told the teams to have covid parties once it hits the team.

Where are you getting this information from? That's the first in have heard of it and it's irresponsible. Number one, they are putting wrestlers in potential harm's way. Number two, there is a risk of exponential spread if any of the wrestlers transmits the virus to others outside the program. It's a bad move and opens the coaches and university up for litigation should something backfire or even get out to the public.

Last edited:
Where on earth did you get that information
Its happening guys and has been all season. I'm not saying I agree with it. But it's happening. We only know what we see and coaches aren't seeing their athletes getting sick from it. Some coaches want the best guys to have had it Dec 20 and after because that removes you from the testing pool for 90 days. And I say some because I'm not saying every coach is that way. But I know of a bunch that are .Just the reality guys

Last edited:

There was a bigger point I was making. Regardless of where or who officially cancels a meet, the circumstances for canceling should be known by every coach. Anyone in a responsible position has to be ready to answer the question: Why did you send your team out to wrestle when you knew they had been exposed? There is no acceptable answer to that question.

Its happening guys and has been all season. I'm not saying I agree with it. But it's happening. We only know what we see and coaches aren't seeing their athletes getting sick from it. Some coaches want the best guys to have had it Dec 20 and after because that removes you from the testing pool for 90 days. And I say some because I'm not saying every coach is that way. But I know of a bunch that are .Just the reality guys
You didn’t answer my question

Clearly you don’t know shit about me so don’t jump to conclusions. One of my best friends died of it so shut the **** up!!!
Real jock sniffing asshole isn't he? Another moron with that never ever experience Division 1 wrestling, except through a wrestling forum.

And I'm not gonna. You can choose to believe me or not. But I'm not someone who gets on the boards with rumors and makes up bulls**t.
I’m going to chose not to. No coach who cares about their wrestlers or at least their job is going to advocate for covid parties. That’s flat out ridiculous.

Real jock sniffing asshole isn't he? Another moron with that never ever experience Division 1 wrestling, except through a wrestling forum.
How much D1 Experience can you have if ur a sophomore at RU? Also for a long time RU was Wrestling like a D3 Program and there were very few guys wrestling at a decent D1 level...There were definitely a couple but the list is small...Look at the schedules from back in the day...Rutgers Never competed against the top Programs weekly or yearly...They would do home and away against Wagner, East Stroudsburg. Central Connecticut and plenty of others that never sniffed the top 40

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT