ADVERTISEMENT

Using our personnel most effectively with this guard-dominated roster

RUMassAlum

Sophomore
Jun 7, 2005
There is no question that Steve Pikiell and his hard working coaching staff have brought some good players to the program and upgraded the overall talent level. Like everyone, I am looking forward to seeing them in action in the upcoming season. However, I find myself thinking about the roster, and where we are overstocked, where we are thin, and how the playing time will be distributed. As we know, there are no less than 6 backcourt players on this team, while we are dangerously thin at the 4 and 5 positions. Allowing for multi-position overlap, RU has 4 guys who can play the point, 5--count 'em--5 players at the 2 guard, and at least two who can play a 2-3 swing position.

Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. It forces a more mobile, small-ball style, blurring the distinction between the 1, 2 and 3 positions. Three guard sets will predominate and players will frequently rotate between positions. However, it does raise concerns about finding enough playing time for everyone. For example, if Jacob Young proves to be a major offensive asset, will he start ahead of Montez Mathis, who started almost 3/4 of the time last year? But then throw Geo Baker into the mix. Maybe he leaves the point, with Mulcahy, McConnell and Young capable of ball handling, to return to his more natural position at SG. How do you find time for all 3 of them? Do you play McConnell a lot as a 2-3 swing man, where his length and versatility might indicate alternating with Ron Harper? Where do you squeeze in a few minutes for Peter Kiss? In any event, i am sure that readers get my point: there is a log jam, particularly at the 2 guard position.

Now that brings me to the front court. I said that we are too thin there and I am disappointed that we couldn't land at least one big man, especially a grad transfer. Those who say that the loss of Eugene Omoruyi isn't a big deal are just plain wrong. Excellent rebounder, improved defender and enough of a scorer at the rim to lead the team in ppg. Shaq Doorson also added defensive presence in the paint and grabbed some rebounds. Comments in other threads that the advent of the promising Akwasi Yeboah will offset Eugene'e loss(Yeboah is really a 3-4 type forward who shoots a lot from the outside), or that Yeboah and Mulcahy will counterbalance the departure of Omoruyi and Doorson, are way off base. Different players, different roles. As for our bigs: Myles Johnson shows great promise but fouls way too much. Shaq Carter will put up a few rebounds and points, but is a defensive liability. And that's it. No backup. If injuries strike, the front court will be in trouble.

We might improve with a guard-dominated team; the talent is there, but the devil is very much in the details. I am interested in fans' perceptions about playing times and rotations among our well-stocked backcourt. Please be as specific as you can in terms of the personnel, playing times and position rotations. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I would be surprised if we didn't throw some offense-heavy small ball lineups out there from time to time, too, which would force defenses to react. Our size at guard makes for a lot of intriguing possibilities, as a guy like McConnell at 6-7 could conceivably plug in anywhere from 1-4.

Here's what's listed on sk.com, but I don't think it's updated yet for current heights/weights:
6-2, 190 - Young
6-4, 180 - Baker
6-4, 200 - Mathis
6-5, 200 - Kiss
6-6, 186 - Mulcahy
6-6, 190 - McConnell (though coach has said he's now 6-7)
6-6, 230 - Harper
6-6, 235 - Yeboah
6-9, 243 - Doucoure
6-9, 245 - Carter
6-10, 255 - Johnson

Imagine something like: Mulcahy, Baker, Young, McConnell, Yeboah.... or Young, Baker, Kiss, McConnell, Harper. The outside firepower would force teams to come out on the perimeter, which would unclog the lane for penetration.

I wouldn't expect to do this very often, but the flexibility is there to get really creative.

Reactions: Scarlet83
There is no question that Steve Pikiell and his hard working coaching staff have brought some good players to the program and upgraded the overall talent level. Like everyone, I am looking forward to seeing them in action in the upcoming season. However, I find myself thinking about the roster, and where we are overstocked, where we are thin, and how the playing time will be distributed. As we know, there are no less than 6 backcourt players on this team, while we are dangerously thin at the 4 and 5 positions. Allowing for multi-position overlap, RU has 4 guys who can play the point, 5--count 'em--5 players at the 2 guard, and at least two who can play a 2-3 swing position.

Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. It forces a more mobile, small-ball style, blurring the distinction between the 1, 2 and 3 positions. Three guard sets will predominate and players will frequently rotate between positions. However, it does raise concerns about finding enough playing time for everyone. For example, if Jacob Young proves to be a major offensive asset, will he start ahead of Montez Mathis, who started almost 3/4 of the time last year? But then throw Geo Baker into the mix. Maybe he leaves the point, with Mulcahy, McConnell and Young capable of ball handling, to return to his more natural position at SG. How do you find time for all 3 of them? Do you play McConnell a lot as a 2-3 swing man, where his length and versatility might indicate alternating with Ron Harper? Where do you squeeze in a few minutes for Peter Kiss? In any event, i am sure that readers get my point: there is a log jam, particularly at the 2 guard position.

Now that brings me to the front court. I said that we are too thin there and I am disappointed that we couldn't land at least one big man, especially a grad transfer. Those who say that the loss of Eugene Omoruyi isn't a big deal are just plain wrong. Excellent rebounder, improved defender and enough of a scorer at the rim to lead the team in ppg. Shaq Doorson also added defensive presence in the paint and grabbed some rebounds. Comments in other threads that the advent of the promising Akwasi Yeboah will offset Eugene'e loss(Yeboah is really a 3-4 type forward who shoots a lot from the outside), or that Yeboah and Mulcahy will counterbalance the departure of Omoruyi and Doorson, are way off base. Different players, different roles. As for our bigs: Myles Johnson shows great promise but fouls way too much. Shaq Carter will put up a few rebounds and points, but is a defensive liability. And that's it. No backup. If injuries strike, the front court will be in trouble.

We might improve with a guard-dominated team; the talent is there, but the devil is very much in the details. I am interested in fans' perceptions about playing times and rotations among our well-stocked backcourt. Please be as specific as you can in terms of the personnel, playing times and position rotations. Thanks in advance.

Absolutely!

The answer is: Play four guards/wings and one big at a time.

Start the game with:
Baker
Young
Harper
Yeboah
Johnson

First mass sub:
Mulcahy
Baker (he stays in but Mulcahy takes the point)
Mathis
McConnell
Carter

Use Kiss to spell the guards as needed. Use Doucoure if the bigs are in foul trouble (or play Yeboah as a small-ball 5, but this may be too extreme for Pikiell's tastes).

I think this stuff will sort itself out BUT it is a uniquely built team in that the #1 player on the roster isn't THAT much better than the #9 player. Whereas whoever Michigan State's #9 guy happens to be is nowhere close to Cassius Winston. Even a team like Iowa, whoever their 9th guy is won't be anywhere near as good as Joe Wieskamp.

RE: Front Court: forgot to mention Mamadou Doucore. Potential at PF but a huge question mark. Coming off season long injury, preceded by a very modest freshman season. Not counting on dominant contribution.

Even if you kept Johnson or Doucoure on the floor at center, we could probably run with any 4 of the other 9 players.... which would be 126 possible combinations, I think.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The answer is: Play four guards/wings and one big at a time.

Start the game with:
Baker
Young
Harper
Yeboah
Johnson

First mass sub:
Mulcahy
Baker (he stays in but Mulcahy takes the point)
Mathis
McConnell
Carter

Use Kiss to spell the guards as needed. Use Doucoure if the bigs are in foul trouble (or play Yeboah as a small-ball 5, but this may be too extreme for Pikiell's tastes).

I think this stuff will sort itself out BUT it is a uniquely built team in that the #1 player on the roster isn't THAT much better than the #9 player. Whereas whoever Michigan State's #9 guy happens to be is nowhere close to Cassius Winston. Even a team like Iowa, whoever their 9th guy is won't be anywhere near as good as Joe Wieskamp.
Good, thoughtful reply. Thanks. I left Doucore out of my OP; not counting on a lot from him. Wish we had one more big and one less guard.

This year's version of Myles is going to be a noticable upgrade over Doorson. Carter is going to be in for a big year as well. Between the two of them you have much better offensive players than Doorson and players who can move better to help defend the perimeter. Doorson was a force in post defense but struggled in space. He had a nice little hook down low if he got good position but other than that his offensive game was limited to only dunks and put backs.

It's also not just Yeboah and Mulcahy will offset EO and Doorson. You're way off. First you forgot Young who is going to play a massive role on this team. Carter and Kiss played their first year of B1G ball last season. Myles Harper Caleb and Mathis were all freshman. All of these players should be improved versions of themselves this season with monster years coming from a few of them. It will more than replace what we lost and it's not close

RE: Front Court: forgot to mention Mamadou Doucore. Potential at PF but a huge question mark. Coming off season long injury, preceded by a very modest freshman season. Not counting on dominant contribution.

I'm not counting on dominant contribution from either Doucoure or Carter, but solid minutes in reserve from both.

Winning games is the main consideration. So finding playing time for everyone is secondary. If Mathis, Kiss or Mulcahy don't get the minutes that Young, Geo, or Caleb earn, so be it. The team must increase their offensive efficiency. Coach has a ton of options, obviously, and I have a feeling that we'll all know who he trusts the most by the time the Seton Hall game comes around.

Reactions: gregkoko and Scangg
I think people are kind of bending over backwards to pencil in minutes for Doucoure. Very few teams have 11 guys play meaningful minutes.

Reactions: Scangg
I would be surprised if we didn't throw some offense-heavy small ball lineups out there from time to time, too, which would force defenses to react. Our size at guard makes for a lot of intriguing possibilities, as a guy like McConnell at 6-7 could conceivably plug in anywhere from 1-4.

Here's what's listed on sk.com, but I don't think it's updated yet for current heights/weights:
6-2, 190 - Young
6-4, 180 - Baker
6-4, 200 - Mathis
6-5, 200 - Kiss
6-6, 186 - Mulcahy
6-6, 190 - McConnell (though coach has said he's now 6-7)
6-6, 230 - Harper
6-6, 235 - Yeboah
6-9, 243 - Doucoure
6-9, 245 - Carter
6-10, 255 - Johnson

Imagine something like: Mulcahy, Baker, Young, McConnell, Yeboah.... or Young, Baker, Kiss, McConnell, Harper. The outside firepower would force teams to come out on the perimeter, which would unclog the lane for penetration.

I wouldn't expect to do this very often, but the flexibility is there to get really creative.

I've been thinking that a small ball lineup consisting of Baker, McConnell, Young, Harper, Yeboah would be interesting and very fun to watch but obviously lacks some physicality and height.

IMO though at the end of games (all that matters to Pi) Harper, Baker, and Johnson are locks while the other 2 spots will depend on matchups, who's playing well, development, etc. Since Harper and Baker are so versatile those last 2 spots can really be filled by anyone on the roster. We could go Mathis and Yeboah for more defense/rebounding or Young and McConnell for more scoring/perimeter play. And this isn't even considering how Mulchay develops because he will factor in as well.

Overall, the combinations are endless and I believe the lineup will be fluid for most of the year and is part of the reason Pi needed a softer OOC schedule. Very refreshing change of pace from the past.

I think people are kind of bending over backwards to pencil in minutes for Doucoure. Very few teams have 11 guys play meaningful minutes.
I agree. We want to see Myles and Carter getting the majority of those minutes with Doucoure more of a backup for foul trouble or injuries or a team with a large 4 and 5 combo where he might need some more minutes. Otherwise the minutes Doucoure is getting are taken away from a better perimeter player. If we go smaller we have more talent on the floor and that is where the game is moving anyway

I've been thinking that a small ball lineup consisting of Baker, McConnell, Young, Harper, Yeboah would be interesting and very fun to watch but obviously lacks some physicality and height.

IMO though at the end of games (all that matters to Pi) Harper, Baker, and Johnson are locks while the other 2 spots will depend on matchups, who's playing well, development, etc. Since Harper and Baker are so versatile those last 2 spots can really be filled by anyone on the roster. We could go Mathis and Yeboah for more defense/rebounding or Young and McConnell for more scoring/perimeter play. And this isn't even considering how Mulchay develops because he will factor in as well.

Overall, the combinations are endless and I believe the lineup will be fluid for most of the year and is part of the reason Pi needed a softer OOC schedule. Very refreshing change of pace from the past.
I agree with much of this, but I think that you can add Yeboah to the three "locks" you wrote. We'll need his experience and his skill set. He's going to be a key part of the team, imo.

People seem to be forgetting about our lack of frontcourt depth. I say that because Johnson, Carter, and especially Doucoure are all very foul-prone. Just like we needed a true point guard last year, we need another big body at least as skilled as Doorson this year. We may be forced to go with one true big a lot more of the time than we would like....and aside from Johnson, our bigs aren’t really that big.

Reactions: RU_DIO
I agree. We want to see Myles and Carter getting the majority of those minutes with Doucoure more of a backup for foul trouble or injuries or a team with a large 4 and 5 combo where he might need some more minutes. Otherwise the minutes Doucoure is getting are taken away from a better perimeter player. If we go smaller we have more talent on the floor and that is where the game is moving anyway
Purdue completely dominated the paint last year...mostly with Trevion Williams (more power than height). Doucoure will be needed in some games if RU doesn’t want to get dominated down low.

I agree with much of this, but I think that you can add Yeboah to the three "locks" you wrote. We'll need his experience and his skill set. He's going to be a key part of the team, imo.
Yeah I agree that more often then not it would be Yeboah but I think Harper can dominate at the 4 and having guards around him will open everything up. With that being said, Yebaoh is suppose to shoot it from deep at a solid clip and if that's the case he will 100% be out there (Probably with Mathis as our counter for the other teams top perimeter player).

I think it's just based on size. Very few teams have just 2 guys taller than 6-6 playing meaningful minutes. Last year, there were just 2 teams in the B1G (OSU and Illinois) that had fewer than 3 that played at least 10 min, and every team had at least 3 that played at least 8 min.

Doucoure's going to get minutes - even if it's just due to foul trouble and defensive matchups.

People seem to be forgetting about our lack of frontcourt depth. I say that because Johnson, Carter, and especially Doucoure are all very foul-prone. Just like we needed a true point guard last year, we need another big body at least as skilled as Doorson this year. We may be forced to go with one true big a lot more of the time than we would like....and aside from Johnson, our bigs aren’t really that big.
Depth only really becomes a problem if one of these guys go down. Yeboah and Harper are suited to play the 4 against most teams. With more guards, uptempo O and D I think you are over estimating the amount of minuets we would be giving to an "Old School" 4. Not to mention Baker, Mulcahy, McConnell all have great size for guards and I believe Mathis is going to be a force on the glass a little like Mike Williams was from the guard spot under Pikiell. IF you were to be playing 2 of Johnson, Doucore

Reactions: Scangg
Regarding the concern for lack of front court depth, we have to stop thinking along the lines of trying to "plug in" the current guys into the 2018-19 paradigm of Omoruyi/Doorson. It's true that the current bigs plus Yeboah will most likely not play as good interior defense as did EO/Doorson.

But Pike is going to change the entire approach and style of the team. He now has interchangeable parts pretty much 1 through 3-1/2, and that difference in paradigm will make a huge difference in offsetting the losses of EO and Doorson. So, yes, Young, Yeboah, and Mulcahy CAN offset their losses, because they will be playing in a whole different system than last year.

And for the times when we do play 2 traditional bigs and 3 smalls, we have just enough bigs to handle the paint. Myles Johnson is going to be a star. Yeboah can PLAY big even though he's only 6-6. Shaq Carter is getting kudos from Pike as the most improved guy in the offseason, and I think we're going to be able to rely on him for 10 to 20 quality mpg. Doucoure, of course, is a wild card, but if he can give us 10-15 minutes on nights when we need more bigs, it will be yuuuuge.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have NOT lost Eugene. But with the interchangeable pieces Pike has assembled, I am confident/hopeful that the team will have a vastly different look that will more than offset his loss.

Last edited:
Purdue completely dominated the paint last year...mostly with Trevion Williams (more power than height). Doucoure will be needed in some games if RU doesn’t want to get dominated down low.
You're assuming that he'll contribute. In the past, against B1G teams, he's been more of a liability. If that continues, we're better off going small and take advantage of mismatches on our offensive possessions.

I hate how pike divy's up minutes so much and tries to be fair to everyone. We really shouldn't play more than 9 guys this year. geo, jacob, ron, yeboah, myles, mulcahy, tez, caleb and shaq c. Kiss and Duke should really only be getting minutes in OOC play to give our big guns rests.

You're assuming that he'll contribute. In the past, against B1G teams, he's been more of a liability.

He was?

Big Ten stats as a true freshman:
12.9 min, 2.5 pts, 3.1 rb, 0.1 ast, 0.8 tov, 0.3 stl, 2.8 pf
Big Ten "per 40" stat line:
7.8 pts, 9.5 rb, 0.2 ast, 2.4 tov, 1.0 stl, 8.4 pf

Those aren't great starter numbers, but they're not bad as a reserve if he can get his fouling under control (which I'd expect to be better as a RS Soph vs. a true frosh).

By comparison, here's Doorson's B1G "per 40" line as a 5th year senior:
8.2 pts, 7.5 rb, 0.7 ast, 1.7 tov, 0.7 stl, 4.7 pf

Doucoure will very likely average at least 6 min per game for the year, and may play as many as 12-14 min in certain games, all largely dependent on Johnson's foul situation.

He was?

Those aren't great starter numbers, but they're not bad as a reserve if he can get his fouling under control (which I'd expect to be better as a RS Soph vs. a true frosh).

Doucoure will very likely average at least 6 min per game for the year, and may play as many as 12-14 min in certain games, all largely dependent on Johnson's foul situation.

Those numbers aren't very illustrative. He posted those numbers by default because we didn't have anyone else. On an efficiency basis he was not good.

Doorson converted 63% of two-point attempts. Doucoure converted 35%. Of course freshmen can improve but that's a wide gap.

Those numbers aren't very illustrative. He posted those numbers by default because we didn't have anyone else. On an efficiency basis he was not good.

Doorson converted 63% of two-point attempts. Doucoure converted 35%. Of course freshmen can improve but that's a wide gap.
Shaq only dunked, Duke fell in love with his elbow jumper. Apples to oranges.

Doorson was definitely more efficient as a 5th year senior 7-footer who scored most of his points on offensive rebound putbacks. I don't see Doucoure as that sort of player, but I also don't see him as a liability next year. My expectation is he'll be a solid backup who isn't really challenging Johnson for minutes.

We're going to need minutes from a third center, and unless Luke Nathan has passed him on the depth chart, those minutes will be going to Doucoure.

He was?

Yes, a liability. I didn't need to see his incredibly mediocre stat line to think otherwise.

For this team to get better ...we need to score more

We will score more with more yeboah and Harper playing the four instead of the three

We will score more with Mathis and Caleb playing the three instead of the two n a three guard line up

Playing 24 minutes with Johnson at the center , having carter and doucoure playing the other 16...works. Maybe a lot 8-12 minutes of the four spot a game to playing big (carter and duke at the four)

140 minutes for 7 players named baker, young, Mulchay, Harper, Macconnell, Mathis and yeboah is going to be hard to keep happy ...two of those seven may get less minutes then they want ...and that assumes kiss can’t wiggle a role out there

It’s going to be hard to play 11 guys

A very good player or two isn’t going to get the minutes some of his think he deserves....

Last edited:
Yes, a liability. I didn't need to see his incredibly mediocre stat line to think otherwise.

He gave us backup-level performance as a true freshman, but played as a starter due to lack of other options. Mensah was a liability that year - Doucoure was just a freshman bench big. I expect him to get backup minutes this year as a RS Soph behind Johnson and Carter and continue to develop.

The people already writing him off had too lofty expectations in his first year, imo.

Shack hits it. Playing time is a huge carrot. We need to move the needle further this year offensively, BUT defense will be what gets and keeps players on the floor.

I suspect there will be one player left out that most would never have guessed. It is a long season so players will have the chance to work there way in and out of the rotation.

Shack hits it. Playing time is a huge carrot. We need to move the needle further this year offensively, BUT defense will be what gets and keeps players on the floor.

I suspect there will be one player left out that most would never have guessed. It is a long season so players will have the chance to work there way in and out of the rotation.

Assuming there are no injuries, I'd imagine that it'd be a guard given the crunch at that position.

As you say, defense is what gets and keeps players on the floor - and there are a *lot* of 6-9+ players in the Big Ten, more than I think Johnson/Carter can handle alone at center without getting into foul trouble. Harper and Yeboah will get their minutes between the 3/4 spots, and Johnson/Carter will get their minutes at the 4/5 spots... but I think we'll need another big body to step in to at least play defense, get rebounds, and protect the guys ahead on the depth chart from foul trouble.

If someone's going to end up struggling to see the floor, I'd expect it'd be one of the guys fighting for time at the 1-3 spots.

I wouldn’t assume a RU big can guard an opposing big better than a Harper or Yeboah.

It is nice to be 6’9’’ ((Carter or Duke)) vs 6’7’’, but a lot of these B1G bugs are versatile and can beat you inside, outside, and off the dribble.

I wouldn’t assume a RU big can guard an opposing big better than a Harper or Yeboah.

It is nice to be 6’9’’ ((Carter or Duke)) vs 6’7’’, but a lot of these B1G bugs are versatile and can beat you inside, outside, and off the dribble.

Here are our post defender options:
6-10, 255 - Johnson
6-9, 245 - Carter
6-9, 245 - Doucoure
6-6, 235 - Yeboah
6-6, 230 - Harper

There will almost certainly be games when Doucoure doesn't see the floor, but also games where he sees 10+ min.

Here are our post defender options:
6-10, 255 - Johnson
6-9, 245 - Carter
6-9, 245 - Doucoure
6-6, 235 - Yeboah
6-6, 230 - Harper

There will almost certainly be games when Doucoure doesn't see the floor, but also games where he sees 10+ min.

Assuming Doucoure can defend a specific player better than Harper or Yeboah.

Reactions: kcg88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT