ADVERTISEMENT

Very intriguing transfer player - Grant Mullins (Columbia)

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
I live downtown in Manhattan and all season long have been attending the best basketball show in town -- Columbia hoops. They competed with Yale and Princeton for the Ivy league crown this year, with Yale ultimately pulling it out (they would go on to beat Baylor in the NCAA's and play Duke very tough). Columbia was very good this season, the ball movement and teamwork is a pleasure to watch.

The point of this story is, in all the games I've attended there is a tough as nails, dead-red shooting point guard with great consistency on the floor for Columbia, and that's Grant Mullins. He reminds me a Steve Nash type, and he's Canadian so the shoe fits. He's 6'4, possesses great vision and has a superb shot and free throw percentage (he shoots 90 percent from the line). Averaging 13.1 per game with 43% shooting beyond the arch. Scored 11 vs Kansas State, 22 with 6 assists versus northwestern (an OT loss for Columbia) and 10 points, 4 assists verse St Joes. He put up even bigger numbers in other games, but these were the top echelon teams that Columbia faced.

Here are some highlights: http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork....ia-highlights-grant-mullins-with-the-hot-hand

Player card: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/62241/grant-mullins

The reason this quality of player is available is a transfer HAS to happen if he wants to continue playing. In the Ivy league you have 4 years of eligibility, period. If you are enrolled in the school, you are using your eligibility (no redshirt). Grant sat out the whole of the 2014-2015 school year (his junior season) due to injury (concussions) and has come back this season as a senior and just killed it. By NCAA eligibility, he has 1 more season, but by Ivy standards, he's done. Therefore, he can transfer into a program and play 1 season immediately following his graduation at Columbia

I hope we've taken notice of the kid. He's a phenomenal point guard -- opportunistic when necessary but If anyone is interested, tonight on CBS sports network Columbia is playing UC Irvine in the CIT final at 7. Watch Grant Mullins for yourself -- kid can BALL. Would be nice to get him on board.

Last edited:
Assuming you mean to compare him to Steve Nash, not Rick Nash?

i prefer kevin nash:

images

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet
Randal7,

I don't follow Columbia that closely, but are you sure that he hadn't withdrawn from school the year he was out with the concussion? What you said is correct about the 4 years, but...

My friend's son is the best player on the team(Alex Rosenberg) and he had to withdraw from school last year while out with his injury so he could come back again this year to play and go to school. Columbia did have a really good year.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Yup -- Rosenberg withdrew to maintain his 4th year. Mullins did not. And yeah Rosenberg is great too.

And yeah I meant Steve Nash haha.

Groz -- vouch for me here on Mullins

I live downtown in Manhattan and all season long have been attending the best basketball show in town -- Columbia hoops. They competed with Yale and Princeton for the Ivy league crown this year, with Yale ultimately pulling it out (they would go on to beat Baylor in the NCAA's and play Duke very tough). Columbia was very good this season, the ball movement and teamwork is a pleasure to watch.

The point of this story is, in all the games I've attended there is a tough as nails, dead-red shooting point guard with great consistency on the floor for Columbia, and that's Grant Mullins. He reminds me a Rick Nash type, and he's Canadian so the shoe fits. He's 6'4, possesses great vision and has a superb shot and free throw percentage (he shoots 90 percent from the line). Averaging 13.1 per game with 43% shooting beyond the arch. Scored 11 vs Kansas State, 22 with 6 assists versus northwestern (an OT loss for Columbia) and 10 points, 4 assists verse St Joes. He put up even bigger numbers in other games, but these were the top echelon teams that Columbia faced.

Here are some highlights: http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork....ia-highlights-grant-mullins-with-the-hot-hand

Player card: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/62241/grant-mullins

The reason this quality of player is available is a transfer HAS to happen if he wants to continue playing. In the Ivy league you have 4 years of eligibility, period. If you are enrolled in the school, you are using your eligibility (no redshirt). Grant sat out the whole of the 2014-2015 school year (his junior season) due to injury (concussions) and has come back this season as a senior and just killed it. By NCAA eligibility, he has 1 more season, but by Ivy standards, he's done. Therefore, he can transfer into a program and play 1 season immediately following his graduation at Columbia

I hope we've taken notice of the kid. He's a phenomenal point guard -- opportunistic when necessary but If anyone is interested, tonight on CBS sports network Columbia is playing UC Irvine in the CIT final at 7. Watch Grant Mullins for yourself -- kid can BALL. Would be nice to get him on board.

Absolutely bring this kid on board! We need veterans who can handle the ball and shoot. If the kid is even half as good as Cooney from Syracuse; he will help us. I bet he's great from the free throw line as well.

The point of this story is, in all the games I've attended there is a tough as nails, dead-red shooting point guard with great consistency on the floor for Columbia, and that's Grant Mullins. He reminds me a Rick Nash type, and he's Canadian so the shoe fits. He's 6'4, possesses great vision and has a superb shot and free throw percentage (he shoots 90 percent from the line). Averaging 13.1 per game with 43% shooting beyond the arch. Scored 11 vs Kansas State, 22 with 6 assists versus northwestern (an OT loss for Columbia) and 10 points, 4 assists verse St Joes. He put up even bigger numbers in other games, but these were the top echelon teams that Columbia faced.

Is he anything like Jim McMillian?

THAT would have been a pickup.

MO
ps I'm not judging Grant.....just remembering a phenom from Columbia who was selected in the first round by the Lakers- replacing Elgin Baylor.

MO
ps I'm not judging Grant.....just remembering a phenom from Columbia who was selected in the first round by the Lakers- replacing Elgin Baylor.

Yeah I know McMillian -- the lore of his tenure still lives on at Columbia.

He's not McMillian, no. But in my opinion he's a better Point Guard than anyone we have had in 10 years (and no, I don't consider Corey Sanders a point guard).

He's not McMillian, no. But in my opinion he's a better Point Guard than anyone we have had in 10 years (and no, I don't consider Corey Sanders a point guard).

I agree with the OP. Mullins would be the second best basketball player on the team as soon as he arrived.

I read it right.....I'll take Eddie's word

1. Nigel

Greene - ok, I now understand your position. I just have to say I disagree with your view. To the extent you believe Jordan knows more than me about basketball I would agree with that premise. That said, I believe even professionals like Jordan can be incorrect. In this situation I believe Jordan is wrong. I believe Johnson will be a deep disappointment on the court. Obviously I understand that you prefer Jordan's view over mine.

Bad attempt at humor....of course I agree with you.

Jordan called Nigel Johnson the best guard he has ever seen......Eddie played with Magic and coached (sort of) kobe

Reactions: B1GNJHoops
Greene - ok, I now understand your position. I just have to say I disagree with your view. To the extent you believe Jordan knows more than me about basketball I would agree with that premise. That said, I believe even professionals like Jordan can be incorrect. In this situation I believe Jordan is wrong. I believe Johnson will be a deep disappointment on the court. Obviously I understand that you prefer Jordan's view over mine.

Well stated. Sanders is hard to figure out because he's prone to off the court distractions, turnovers while on the court, and a personality that I would label as volatile.

Reactions: bac2therac
Volatile personality.. Corey Sanders?

Prone to Turnovers.. Corey Sanders?

I just don't see it. He was by far and away RU's best player and most composed player for most of the year.

Reactions: RickB113

Good stuff Randal7

@BKIn118 any chance you can ensure this post is read by someone on the staff? Given our situation, no stone should go unturned ;)

If you don't consider Sanders a point guard we all need to seriously question your basketball acumen.

Reactions: RUMountie

MO
When I was being recruited by Princeton to play football in '67 (yes, they were still playing single wing), I stayed with a sophomore football player and his two roommates, Geoff and John. Being from Chicago, I knew zip about East Coast bball. We got to talking and I said they didn't look like football players, and they said, "No, we're on the basketball team." I told them I was going to go to the game, and was it likely that they would get to see the court. Geoff says to John, "Whaddya think? We get in the game tonight or not?" John replied, "I think we will." I say, "Well, that's really exciting!"

The game was against Columbia, Dillon Gym was packed, and I sat on the floor underneath the basket. Geoff Petrie and John Hummer put up 52 against Jim McMillan and Heywood Dotson in an incredible victory, including an illegal slam dunk by Hummer at the end of the game.

eh, I respect your opinion--is it based on what he did at KSU or how he looked when he sat out here? I was hoping he could turn out like Sterling Gibbs, who had pedestrian numbers at Texas but blossomed at shoe

eh, I respect your opinion--is it based on what he did at KSU or how he looked when he sat out here? I was hoping he could turn out like Sterling Gibbs, who had pedestrian numbers at Texas but blossomed at shoe

While at RU. He is a very talented athlete. As with many kids with athleticism it does not necessarily translate to the court. Perhaps the staff can get through to him where others could not.

Trust me...

Everything that is posted here is seen by someone that matters.

But trust me, Pikiell needs no help identifying talent. He's on it

Agree with BK regarding Pikiell and his knowledge. He works very hard and knows all the folks in the metro area. At the very least he will not be out worked in recruiting.

If you don't consider Sanders a point guard we all need to seriously question your basketball acumen.

I think Sanders can play point guard and play it well. I just think he probably is better suited at shooting guard. He's not a "pure point guard". He's a scoring point. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The point of my saying that was to avoid a head to head comparison between him and mullins. Clearly sanders is more explosive and outstanding as a talent, but its tough to compare them h2h because they are a bit different in their approach.

I think Sanders can play point guard and play it well. I just think he probably is better suited at shooting guard. He's not a "pure point guard". He's a scoring point. And there's nothing wrong with that.

The point of my saying that was to avoid a head to head comparison between him and mullins. Clearly sanders is more explosive and outstanding as a talent, but its tough to compare them h2h because they are a bit different in their approach.

I could see trying to make the argument that he is a combo guard. However, he is clearly better suited to play the one. His best strengths are as a passer, penetrator, finisher at the rim (for a guard), handle, and then shooter and probably in that order.

He's a point guard who can score when he wants. But you can see on the court he is actively looking to pass when he's not needed to go into "carry the team" mode. Defensively he is better as a one as well that may be an even bigger discrepancy than his offensive game at the two positions.

Anyway, I'l tune in to watch your guy tonight.

Sanders averaged over 4 assists a game which is a good stat for a pg. Our other guards were no where near that figure. Perhaps the kid from Columbia is very good but we also have Nigel Johnson, Mike Williams and Matt Bullock. Mullins will only be here for one year, Williams and Johnson have two more and Bullock has four. I will trust Pikiell on any decision he makes.

When I was being recruited by Princeton to play football in '67 (yes, they were still playing single wing), I stayed with a sophomore football player and his two roommates, Geoff and John. Being from Chicago, I knew zip about East Coast bball. We got to talking and I said they didn't look like football players, and they said, "No, we're on the basketball team." I told them I was going to go to the game, and was it likely that they would get to see the court. Geoff says to John, "Whaddya think? We get in the game tonight or not?" John replied, "I think we will." I say, "Well, that's really exciting!"

The game was against Columbia, Dillon Gym was packed, and I sat on the floor underneath the basket. Geoff Petrie and John Hummer put up 52 against Jim McMillan and Heywood Dotson in an incredible victory, including an illegal slam dunk by Hummer at the end of the game.
Great story!

I am planning to watch Mullins on TV at 7PM. One concern for me is he only averaged 3.3 assists per game as a PG on a team that averaged over 76 ppg. He rarely turned the ball over but a PG needs to spread the ball around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT