ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Up Call

MCY

Senior
Sep 23, 2002
Overreactions abound after a game like we saw yesterday with some on here shouting “stop bitching we won the game, and a win is a win” and some will overreact, albeit in the other direction, and say “start firing this person or that person”. Of course, we are all glad we won, but that’s akin to the happiness one must feel when their teenage daughter arrives home at 3am, drunk and half dressed. Sure, you’re happy she’s alive, but not much else. Side note, that did not happen to me – thank God.

We have seen many better teams, just this year, get beat in epic upsets or perhaps just squeak by perceived “lesser” teams (like we did yesterday) and come back and curb stomp (or at least beat) the next team, generally by not doing what isn’t working. I swear our playbook can fit on the back of a cocktail napkin. An “RPO” which is really a slow developing “R”, receivers that, when we do pass, always appear covered and apparently the middle of the field is some sort of demilitarized zone that we are unable to use in our pass offense.

I know Greg’s big quote is “everyman thinks they can grill and coach a football team”, but that’s missing the point. None of us are saying we can coach a football team, but all of us can see that what this coaching staff is doing is not working. We didn’t score a touchdown on offense yesterday. Think about that, in 2022 a power 5 team didn’t score an offensive touchdown (in perfect weather) against a non-power 5 team, with a quarterback who has been in our system for 3 years!

The question is, what do we see out of Greg and his staff after a game like this (yes, master of the obvious I know). Hope springs eternal and I hope they wake up and realize they must do something different to put points on the board. Unfortunately, if past is prologue we all know the answer, and it isn’t good. Rant over…

Overreactions abound after a game like we saw yesterday with some on here shouting “stop bitching we won the game, and a win is a win” and some will overreact, albeit in the other direction, and say “start firing this person or that person”. Of course, we are all glad we won, but that’s akin to the happiness one must feel when their teenage daughter arrives home at 3am, drunk and half dressed. Sure, you’re happy she’s alive, but not much else. Side note, that did not happen to me – thank God.

We have seen many better teams, just this year, get beat in epic upsets or perhaps just squeak by perceived “lesser” teams (like we did yesterday) and come back and curb stomp (or at least beat) the next team, generally by not doing what isn’t working. I swear our playbook can fit on the back of a cocktail napkin. An “RPO” which is really a slow developing “R”, receivers that, when we do pass, always appear covered and apparently the middle of the field is some sort of demilitarized zone that we are unable to use in our pass offense.

I know Greg’s big quote is “everyman thinks they can grill and coach a football team”, but that’s missing the point. None of us are saying we can coach a football team, but all of us can see that what this coaching staff is doing is not working. We didn’t score a touchdown on offense yesterday. Think about that, in 2022 a power 5 team didn’t score an offensive touchdown (in perfect weather) against a non-power 5 team, with a quarterback who has been in our system for 3 years!

The question is, what do we see out of Greg and his staff after a game like this (yes, master of the obvious I know). Hope springs eternal and I hope they wake up and realize they must do something different to put points on the board. Unfortunately, if past is prologue we all know the answer, and it isn’t good. Rant over…
Greg’s getting paid handsomely to win

I’ll reserve judgement until after the season, but based on what I saw yesterday, coupled with the first half of BC, I’ll be esastic with any bowl

The offense is non existent, special teams shaky and sloppy football all around

He’s the coach. The buck stops with him and at this point of his tenure, I expected a lot more / fat Better than we’ve seen

GS has turned in WTfs before and the team wins the next week...NW/Illinois comes to mind from last year but there have been others.

Reactions: redking
Greg has a very strong and dedicated group of followers, his job is probably one of the safest in all of college football and he knows it. He is good coach and he will be able to retire at Rutgers and get his statue outside of the stadium. Will he ever get us to major bowls based on our on field performance, probably not going to happen if you look at his record in the BE, but playing the occasional Pinstripe Bowl keeps a lot of our fanbase satisfied.

Greg has a very strong and dedicated group of followers, his job is probably one of the safest in all of college football and he knows it. He is good coach and he will be able to retire at Rutgers and get his statue outside of the stadium. Will he ever get us to major bowls based on our on field performance, probably not going to happen if you look at his record in the BE, but playing the occasional Pinstripe Bowl keeps a lot of our fanbase satisfied.
The BE of the 2000's has nothing to do with the B1G today. The game has changed. And so has Greg in some ways. He has a dedicated group of followers because he is rebuilding a program that was decimated in his 9 year absence, and regardless of anyone's opinion, progress is being made. He has said it 100 times that progress will not be linear. To extrapolate one bad game, and a game Rutgers won and to paint with such a broad brush, is missing the mark, IMO.

The BE of the 2000's has nothing to do with the B1G today. The game has changed. And so has Greg in some ways. He has a dedicated group of followers because he is rebuilding a program that was decimated in his 9 year absence, and regardless of anyone's opinion, progress is being made. He has said it 100 times that progress will not be linear. To extrapolate one bad game, and a game Rutgers won and to paint with such a broad brush, is missing the mark, IMO.
But it's not extrapolating one game. Our offense is horrible in every game, just as it was last year. It hasn't improved one bit since last season. And I'm hearing the same things I heard in 2009, 2010, etc.including the same excuses--give him time--and in year 10 his offenses still sucked. He doesn't seem to have changed at all.

It is much tougher to rebuild a program in the B1G than the BE so what makes you think someone who couldn't deliver major bowls coaching in the BE is somehow going to become a much better coach in the much tougher B1G, the argument defies logic and facts. Also, let's please stop with the soap opera about Flood and Ash, we know they sucked, but in today's world it is basically irrelevant since a coach can rebuild a roster thru the TP after one year, let alone going on his third year. Now I am not a Greg hater by any means, in all sincerity he is a good coach and I don't know if we could do much better, and like I said I am almost certain he will get us back to the Pinstripe Bowl at some point, but I don't expect anything more.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Greg’s getting paid handsomely to win

I’ll reserve judgement until after the season, but based on what I saw yesterday, coupled with the first half of BC, I’ll be esastic with any bowl

The offense is non existent, special teams shaky and sloppy football all around

He’s the coach. The buck stops with him and at this point of his tenure, I expected a lot more / fat Better than we’ve seen
To be fair, if we are expecting results because of the salary, we are getting what we are paying for. He is 13 out of 14 in salary in the Big 10.

that said, he deserves 4 years and if he takes us to 8-9 wins consistently for a few years, that should be a good step that fans should be happy with.

we can look for more after a few years of consistency.

lol those that make excuses die unrewarded

The Ash and Flood and Shea diehards really hate GS for some reason.

I don't see that here at all
I don't know of anyone who supported Shea or Ash, and very few who think Flood was a good HC. The Greg diehards refuse to evaluate him on his own merits they have to bring up Ash, Flood, and Shea. If you want to cut Greg a break it would be his first go around, where there was no TP and you really could only rebuild thru recruiting. It did take some coaches 4 and 5 years to rebuild in that era, however, that is not today's reality, the TP means a coach can literally rebuild in a year or two and by year 3 there should be significant improvements on the field. Greg is a good coach, honestly, I don't think you can legitimately argue otherwise, but I don't believe he is a great coach, I do believe he can get us back to .500 ball, but beyond that in the B1G, I don't know if he can take us to that next level.

To be fair, if we are expecting results because of the salary, we are getting what we are paying for. He is 13 out of 14 in salary in the Big 10.

that said, he deserves 4 years and if he takes us to 8-9 wins consistently for a few years, that should be a good step that fans should be happy with.

we can look for more after a few years of consistency.
This would require 1-2 good teams to have down years and we win everything else, consistently as you say

It is much tougher to rebuild a program in the B1G than the BE so what makes you think someone who couldn't deliver major bowls coaching in the BE is somehow going to become a much better coach in the much tougher B1G, the argument defies logic and facts. Also, let's please stop with the soap opera about Flood and Ash, we know they sucked, but in today's world it is basically irrelevant since a coach can rebuild a roster thru the TP after one year, let alone going on his third year. Now I am not a Greg hater by any means, in all sincerity he is a good coach and I don't know if we could do much better, and like I said I am almost certain he will get us back to the Pinstripe Bowl at some point, but I don't expect anything more.
Sure it is tougher in the B1G, and we agree. But times are different, and recruiting should be easier in the B1G now that we have a President and AD who are aligned with Greg's goals. On the other hand, NIL is wild card that will impact how recruiting goes. There's no defying logic and facts. We are in a premier conference, and the old Big East was a dying conference. Let's look at the competition:

- Locksley at Maryland--what has he done? 16-23 // 7-22 in year 4
-Allen at Indiana- what has he done? Not much- 29-32 // 16-28 in year 7
- Brohm at Purdue- a nice year in 2021, but 29-31 // 20-23 is not great in year 6

PJ Fleck has had a nice run at Minnesota in the easier division, and since he is a disciple of Greg's, maybe Greg can have similar success once the divisions are eliminated.

You may be referring to choppycat Mel Tucker at MSU. Let's see how his year goes this year before he is annointed the next Bear Bryant.

Fans are unreasonably impatient. This program was brought to depths that may have been below what it was when Greg got here in 2000, taking into account the competition.

Yup, when people bitch about his salary I always say, "as long as Rutgers doesn't finish 13th or 14th in the league, then they're getting more than they paid for".
reply of the year as it really cuts to the heart of how some here think. well done, bravo

I don't know of anyone who supported Shea or Ash, and very few who think Flood was a good HC. The Greg diehards refuse to evaluate him on his own merits they have to bring up Ash, Flood, and Shea....
If you are going to continue insisting that you know that "The Greg diehards" do not evaluate GS properly, then I will continue to insist that you and the like-minded are Shea, Flood and Ash diehards.

This is not about our having a horrific passing game against lowly Temple. It's that we don't improve in this area game after game and year after year. The fact that we look at when Noah V averaged 150 yards or so a game as our best examples in recent years says it all. And to top it off, I don't believe we have a single QB committed for next year as the signing date is ever approaching. You can't build a program like ours at QB by hoping to get a stud from the portal as our record in this regard has shown.

This is not about our having a horrific passing game against lowly Temple. It's that we don't improve in this area game after game and year after year. The fact that we look at when Noah V averaged 150 yards or so a game as our best examples in recent years says it all. And to top it off, I don't believe we have a single QB committed for next year as the signing date is ever approaching. You can't build a program like ours at QB by hoping to get a stud from the portal as our record in this regard has shown.

No - we look at a 3-0 start (all comfortable two score victories or more) against a non-conference schedule last season that didn’t have a Wagner type game on it to pad the stats. And then a buzzer beater loss to Michigan. That’s what I think of in terms of our potential with NV running the offense.

The point I was raising with the other stats is that Noah’s “bottom” against the middle of the BIG pack is way higher than that of our younger QBs right now. Putting aside the OSU and Wisconsin games we weren’t going to win anyway where we took a bunch of chances and NV threw 5 picks that make his overall blended QB rating worse than t otherwise would be. Throw out those 2 games and the kid didn’t throw another pick until the last game of the season Maryland). Even the pick at Maryland waa a situation where we were down big and needed to take a chance on 3rd and long. Basically we just gave them better field position on it than with a punt.

Last year - 9 games without a pick and it wasn’t like he wasn’t throwing passes (that was what I meant with the 26+ attempts stat - he can be trusted to run the offense when the game is on the line). And he can run.

Reactions: thegock and redking
But it's not extrapolating one game. Our offense is horrible in every game, just as it was last year. It hasn't improved one bit since last season. And I'm hearing the same things I heard in 2009, 2010, etc.including the same excuses--give him time--and in year 10 his offenses still sucked. He doesn't seem to have changed at all.
I'd agree with this. And the bigger problem, to me at least, is the lack of any creativity. I'm not calling for trick plays or anything, in fact I'd probably describe it as variability or unpredictability. Talent, being young, non-linear growth or whatever other excuse people prefer, the fact that I could diagnose the play based on presnap reads almost half the time is a problem.

Reactions: brgRC90
I'd agree with this. And the bigger problem, to me at least, is the lack of any creativity. I'm not calling for trick plays or anything, in fact I'd probably describe it as variability or unpredictability. Talent, being young, non-linear growth or whatever other excuse people prefer, the fact that I could diagnose the play based on presnap reads almost half the time is a problem.
And this is exactly what we saw the first time around with Schiano. It was so obvious even a child could see--literally. I remember one poster who went to games telling us how at one point his kid asked why other teams have their offense spread across the field and ours didn't use much space. It's hard not to conclude that Schiano is STILL trying to create an old-fashioned offense that rams the ball down the throat of the opposition. That didn't work in the Big East, it sure won't work in the Big Ten. It didn't even work against Temple.

If you are going to continue insisting that you know that "The Greg diehards" do not evaluate GS properly, then I will continue to insist that you and the like-minded are Shea, Flood and Ash diehards.
I couldn't stand any of those guys, I am neither a Greg lover or Greg hater, I just look at wins/losses and call it as I see it. He is a good college head coach, there is no arguing that fact, however, he is not a great head coach. He can build a program to a certain level, but his record tells us that he has never taken a program to the next level. And yes, there is a small and very vocal group of our fanbase that worships him in a cult like fashion, to deny that fact one loses all credibility.

Reactions: RUaMoose
And this is exactly what we saw the first time around with Schiano. It was so obvious even a child could see--literally. I remember one poster who went to games telling us how at one point his kid asked why other teams have their offense spread across the field and ours didn't use much space. It's hard not to conclude that Schiano is STILL trying to create an old-fashioned offense that rams the ball down the throat of the opposition. That didn't work in the Big East, it sure won't work in the Big Ten. It didn't even work against Temple.
If Schiano thinks Caveman pro set football will work in the B1G, then he ain't gonna be employed for very long because we do not get the monster OL like Wisconsin gets to warrant running Caveman football.

Reactions: tomatocan
2.0 gets us to a NYD game at some point I view his tenure as a success.

If not, we’ll see who comes next.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Let’s paint a scenario.

Rutgers beats Iowa on Saturday to start the year 4-0.

Are there 2 wins in this batch of games:

vs Nebraska
vs Indiana
@Minnesota (GS daddy voodoo magic on Fleck)
@Michigan State (stole our chop voodoo magic)
vs Penn State (more GS voodoo magic)
@Maryland

I say yes.

Instant losses vs Michigan and OSU IMO, but everything else is on the table for me.

A win vs Iowa and it’s really not completely unrealistic to say this team could start the year 6-1 and be bowl eligible on October 22.

That’s insane, especially when early on everyone thought 4 wins would be a great year.

Painful offense or not, I’m so freaking happy we have GS back running the show. No doubt in my mind this dude will get a statue here one day.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
If Schiano thinks Caveman pro set football will work in the B1G, then he ain't gonna be employed for very long because we do not get the monster OL like Wisconsin gets to warrant running Caveman football.
And even Wisconsin has shown the ability to throw the ball, which makes its ground game more effective.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Let’s paint a scenario.

Rutgers beats Iowa on Saturday to start the year 4-0.

Are there 2 wins in this batch of games:

vs Nebraska
vs Indiana
@Minnesota (GS daddy voodoo magic on Fleck)
@Michigan State (stole our chop voodoo magic)
vs Penn State (more GS voodoo magic)
@Maryland

I say yes.

Instant losses vs Michigan and OSU IMO, but everything else is on the table for me.

A win vs Iowa and it’s really not completely unrealistic to say this team could start the year 6-1 and be bowl eligible on October 22.

That’s insane, especially when early on everyone thought 4 wins would be a great year.

Painful offense or not, I’m so freaking happy we have GS back running the show. No doubt in my mind this dude will get a statue here one day.

Yes. If we can handle Iowa - and I mean ya know, score on offense and win by a bit then there are two more possible wins on the schedule. Nebby and Indy both home should be games we can handle - if not we don't deserve a bowl because we are as bad as we looked agin' Temple.

BTW, does the Waggy win could towards a bowl game?

Yes. If we can handle Iowa - and I mean ya know, score on offense and win by a bit then there are two more possible wins on the schedule. Nebby and Indy both home should be games we can handle - if not we don't deserve a bowl because we are as bad as we looked agin' Temple.

BTW, does the Waggy win could towards a bowl game?
I believe it does. You’re allowed 1 D1AA win to count towards bowl eligibility

Come on man if we put a statue out in from for a sub 500 coach what does that say about our program. You can love GS but come on man.

Come on man if we put a statue out in from for a sub 500 coach what does that say about our program. You can love GS but come on man.

Agree with what @RUforlife and @jsol_05 said.

So this is how I am evaluating 2.0…
2.0 gets us to a NYD game at some point I view his tenure as a success.

If not, we’ll see who comes next.
Once the divisions go away, which I think they will, it becomes easier. Especially, as I continue to mention, with the B1G bowl tie-ins and the way they spread it around.

With what I said above I think this is a very fair measuring stick.

Last edited:
This.
GS has many blindfolded disciples like KnightShift who are satisfied with 2 point wins over Temple and a 20 game home losing streak at home to B1G opponents. Even go out their way to make mind boggling excuses to protect Greg 2.0 and make irrelevant comparisons to other Coaches. Fact is the future is a real concern for all Fans when you look at RU 2023 Recruiting ( Zero 4 star recruits, No QB, and only 1 -Top 10 NJ Recruit in the class) and the undisciplined play this year along with irrational play calling. Will next year be better? We all hope so but the current state of the program says otherwise.

Reactions: brgRC90
This.
GS has many blindfolded disciples like KnightShift who are satisfied with 2 point wins over Temple and a 20 game home losing streak at home to B1G opponents. Even go out their way to make mind boggling excuses to protect Greg 2.0 and make irrelevant comparisons to other Coaches. Fact is the future is a real concern for all Fans when you look at RU 2023 Recruiting ( Zero 4 star recruits, No QB, and only 1 -Top 10 NJ Recruit in the class) and the undisciplined play this year along with irrational play calling. Will next year be better? We all hope so but the current state of the program says otherwise.
The bolded is very fair IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT