ADVERTISEMENT

Washington has an excellent defense

Knight Owl

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Washington would not have lost to Washington State if State didn’t have a very mobile QB who had two excellent TD runs.

Huskies seem to lack the speed burners on O that they’ve been known for the past few years, but their big RB is ranked similarly to Kyle M as far as the NFL draft goes.

I think this is going to be very close. I’m a little worried about our pass defense in this game. Rogers is playing at a high level and is very accurate. Our pass rush with 4 hasn’t been disruptive. Our safeties are tough against the run but I don’t think they defend the pass real well. Rogers won’t miss the downfield throws that Drones did. The D needs to get Rogers uncomfortable and need to be better against the run.

I think this is going to be very close. I’m a little worried about our pass defense in this game. Rogers is playing at a high level and is very accurate. Our pass rush with 4 hasn’t been disruptive. Our safeties are tough against the run but I don’t think they defend the pass real well. Rogers won’t miss the downfield throws that Drones did. The D needs to get Rogers uncomfortable and need to be better against the run.
Keep in mind the pass rush against Howard and V tech were against very mobile QBs so the game plan wasn’t to go at the QBs but to keep them in a box and don’t let them run. Neither QB could throw accurately so the D wanted to keep them in the pocket.
Against Will Rogers it’s the opposite. The D will attack more and blitz more to make him uncomfortable and to get him out of the pocket.

Keep in mind the pass rush against Howard and V tech were against very mobile QBs so the game plan wasn’t to go at the QBs but to keep them in a box and don’t let them run. Neither QB could throw accurately so the D wanted to keep them in the pocket.
Against Will Rogers it’s the opposite. The D will attack more and blitz more to make him uncomfortable and to get him out of the pocket.
In 2023, his worst games here when he was sacked more than 3 times, throwing well below his completion percentage against Alabama (55.6% and LSU (39.3%)--yeah Rutgers is not Alabama or LSU, but put any immobile QB under pressure, and the stats get worse.

Last edited:
Let’s slow down a little bit here. Aside from Washington State they’ve played 3 atrocious offenses. We’re just 10 spots and 30 yards per game behind Washington state in total offense. I would say that they haven't SHOWN any more, or any less, than we have thus far (BUT.....injuries....see below).

Last edited:
I think what you and some others are forgetting is that 3 of our best defenders made their first start on Saturday. One of them played the second half of the Akron game. We are going to see a whole different defense out there Friday night, at home, under the lights. I also think some people don’t realize what our defense did on Saturday so I’ll repeat something I put in a thread on the round table:

- Our D gave up 143 yards in the 1st half.
- Our D gave up ONLY 34 yards in the 3rd quarter.
- Our D gave up ONLY 320 total yards of offense to a team aeraged 391 per game last year, returned almost its entire offense, was at home and put up 400 YPG prior to Saturday. Did our D suddenly suck out of nowhere? No…

… I’ll take it further: that fourth-quarter was an anomaly. That was 3+ quarters of our team in the sun - which was absolutely brutal anyone who was there can tell you that - with no cool zone fans, while Virginia Tech was in the shade the entire game. And again, remember, two defensive starters made their first appearances on Saturday and another his first start after limited time against Akron. All that added up but I expect to see the D we have expected, since opening day, to be on display Friday night!

gosh, I hope your right.

I think what you and some others are forgetting is that 3 of our best defenders made their first start on Saturday. One of them played the second half of the Akron game. We are going to see a whole different defense out there Friday night, at home, under the lights. I also think some people don’t realize what our defense did on Saturday so I’ll repeat something I put in a thread on the round table:

- Our D gave up 143 yards in the 1st half.
- Our D gave up ONLY 34 yards in the 3rd quarter.
- Our D gave up ONLY 320 total yards of offense to a team aeraged 391 per game last year, returned almost its entire offense, was at home and put up 400 YPG prior to Saturday. Did our D suddenly suck out of nowhere? No…

… I’ll take it further: that fourth-quarter was an anomaly. That was 3+ quarters of our team in the sun - which was absolutely brutal anyone who was there can tell you that - with no cool zone fans, while Virginia Tech was in the shade the entire game. And again, remember, two defensive starters made their first appearances on Saturday and another his first start after limited time against Akron. All that added up but I expect to see the D we have expected, since opening day, to be on display Friday night!
It was a hot day and RU was in the sun, I get that. However, the defense was only on the field for 20 mins. In the 3 games so far, yds per rush are 4.0 (Howard), 6.2. ( Akron), 6.8 ( VT). I understand that they played 3 mobile QBs but they need to be better , hopefully they will be on Fri. The atmosphere should help.

Schiano's press conference would have you believe they are the second coming. We'll see. Washington State is 4-0 but their other 3 wins were not against anybody that would scare you. If we're going to win 8+, this is a game we really need.
Washington St QB’s feet made the difference.

SIAP -

i thought this was interesting. Washington moved their practices to 7pm their time this week (Mon-Wed) to get their players used to game time, They will fly to NJ Thu, arriving around 5pm here.

Reactions: Plum Street
They recruited a couple corners that run laser 4.2s/4.3s.
Not sure they play as yet but so far Husky defense has given up 1 TD against 4 INTs in 4 games.

The UW puts together a future defensive backfield with unmatched speed.

Schiano's press conference would have you believe they are the second coming. We'll see. Washington State is 4-0 but their other 3 wins were not against anybody that would scare you. If we're going to win 8+, this is a game we really need.
Stop. Schiano always respects the opposition. He knows all too well anyone can lose to any team . You want a coach that disrespects the other team , brags about how we are so much better and comes across as better than everyone ? Go root for some of the slimy SEC teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT