ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for Nebraska

The ground is saturated and flooding all over the place.
Rain forecasted throughout tomorrow.
The Parking Lots will be a mess Friday…. Forget Johnson Park being open.
make alternate parking plans if needed

Reactions: Jimpeg
Disagree. Antecedent drought conditions mean that most of the rainfall should have been absorbed and we now have about 36 hours of very dry conditions from this evening through Friday morning for any areas with standing water to drain and/or evaporate. I would expect the main tailgating lots to be moist, but not under water/muddy, with the one area of concern being Johnson Park, given that it's low-lying (but even there should be ok in most spots, IMO). Also, very little rain is going to fall today.

After far more rain last year from the remnants of Ida, where we had 9-10" of rain that ended about 18 hours before the Temple game was scheduled to start (vs. about 4" of rain in Pway over the last 3 days, which will be over by this evening, 36 hours before most start tailgating), the tailgate lots were all almost completely dry as of 2 pm the next day, about 14 hours later, as per the thread I posted below. The only reason the Temple game was postponed is the flooding on the Raritan, which flooded River Rd and Route 18 through late afternoon on gameday, which would've made for traffic tie-ups (and taken emergency personnel away from ongoing flood response) - the lots and the field and all of the campus roads were fine.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ailgating-lots-campus-roads-etc-w-pix.223144/

Reactions: Knight Shift
Gameday weather still looking great, with sunny skies and high temps in the low 70s and dry conditions, although as discussed last night, it now looks to be a bit breezy in the afternoon and into the evening with ~10 mph winds and gusts to 15-20 mph, which is enough to make folks feel cool after sunset, as temps drop through the 60s and into the mid-50s by the end of the game (where winds should be dying down). There is still a very slight chance (10%) of a light shower in the late afternoon/evening, but it's far more likely to remain dry (and more likely we'll see some clouds).

Plotter.php

Disagree. Antecedent drought conditions mean that most of the rainfall should have been absorbed and we now have about 36 hours of very dry conditions from this evening through Friday morning for any areas with standing water to drain and/or evaporate. I would expect the main tailgating lots to be moist, but not under water/muddy, with the one area of concern being Johnson Park, given that it's low-lying (but even there should be ok in most spots, IMO). Also, very little rain is going to fall today.

After far more rain last year from the remnants of Ida, where we had 9-10" of rain that ended about 18 hours before the Temple game was scheduled to start (vs. about 4" of rain in Pway over the last 3 days, which will be over by this evening, 36 hours before most start tailgating), the tailgate lots were all almost completely dry as of 2 pm the next day, about 14 hours later, as per the thread I posted below. The only reason the Temple game was postponed is the flooding on the Raritan, which flooded River Rd and Route 18 through late afternoon on gameday, which would've made for traffic tie-ups (and taken emergency personnel away from ongoing flood response) - the lots and the field and all of the campus roads were fine.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ailgating-lots-campus-roads-etc-w-pix.223144/
Hope you are correct. It will help that tomorrow is supposed mostly Sunny…but no wind unfortunately to help dry things out. Friday looks to be partly Sunny with winds at 10mph . Should help

Hasn’t rained since very early this morning up in Hudson County. A little expected later but nothing crazy. Just some light rain.

By the way, it’s only 60° out right now, but it feels so much warmer after the last few days. This is what I was talking about earlier. What

Going down to 48 degrees tonight.
But 75 degrees on Friday. Perfect

Hope you are correct. It will help that tomorrow is supposed mostly Sunny…but no wind unfortunately to help dry things out. Friday looks to be partly Sunny with winds at 10mph . Should help
99.999% sure I will be. Played disc golf a little while ago at Oak Ridge Park in Clark, which is situated on similar land to the tailgating lots and the ground was certainly wet, but very little ponding of water, and I'm sure that area and the RU area will be in pretty good shape by tomorrow night and in very good shape by Friday early afternoon. I actually plan to do a drive by tomorrow afternoon to check. Also, with sun and dewpoints in the mid mid-50s, plenty of moisture will evaporate, regardless of any wind.

Gameday weather still looking great, with sunny skies and high temps in the low 70s and dry conditions, although as discussed last night, it now looks to be a bit breezy in the afternoon and into the evening with ~10 mph winds and gusts to 15-20 mph, which is enough to make folks feel cool after sunset, as temps drop through the 60s and into the mid-50s by the end of the game (where winds should be dying down). There is still a very slight chance (10%) of a light shower in the late afternoon/evening, but it's far more likely to remain dry (and more likely we'll see some clouds).

Plotter.php
Today's 12Z models are even drier than previous runs, so the NWS has taken all wording of slight chances of showers out of the forecast for our area (and everywhere except far NWNW/Poconos; now <10% chance for the 95 corridor and nearby), so lock it up for it being sunny, warm (highs in the low 70s) and dry. Still forecast to be a bit breezy in the afternoon and early evening, but nothing crazy (~10 mph winds with gusts up to 20 mph at times), although it'll feel chilly for some after sunset with temps dropping into the mid-50s by the end of the game.

I also fully expect all of the tailgate areas to be fairly dry by early Friday (maybe parts of Johnson Park will still be wet, but would be very, very surprised to see any closures). Going to be a spectacular day and night - perfect for tailgating and football. Now we just need a win. By the way the next 6-7 days look spectacular for fall with sunshine and no rain in sight. Might even get some frost Sunday morning down to the 95 corridor and a freeze well NW and in the Poconos.

SHORT TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

Friday will be another warm day for most. High pressure moves
offshore as a cold front approaches the region. Southwest flow will
set up for the day, with dewpoints increasing ahead of the front.
This front, associated with a weak trough diving in from Canada,
will not have much moisture to work with. There will be some lift
with the front approaching, however the better synoptic lift has
trended further north in the 12z suite of guidance. As a result, cut
back the coverage of slight Chc PoPs, with generally only a few
light showers expect in the Poconos and northern Lehigh Valley.
Generally looking at upper 60s/low 70s in the Lehigh Valley and
northern NJ, with mid 70s in the Philly metro area, South Jersey and
Delmarva. Parts of Southern DE could get into the upper 70s.

Interesting. The NWS backed off on having wind gusts up to 20 mph for the afternoon and evening and are now just showing 6-10 mph winds, but tonight's models still mostly show 15-20 mph wind gusts with mostly 5-10 mph winds, so not sure which to believe (for most people it wouldn't matter, but for a tailgate and game, we all want to know that detail). In addition, the front has slowed down just a touch, so temps should reach the mid-70s and look to cool off a little less during the game, down to about 58F by the end of the game instead of 55F, as forecast earlier. Small change, but in the right direction. And essentially zero chance of any brief light showers, although it should get a bit cloudy during the game (which will also help slow down cooling). Going to be a glorious day for tailgating and football.

Plotter.php

Reactions: Knight Shift
Hate to even think about it, but there is now a slight chance of a light shower or some sprinkles after about 10 pm tonight, but it's still much more likely to remain dry than to see any rain. However, if you really hate even a little bit of rain (no models are showing more than about 0.02" for the Pway area before 11 pm and most show none), maybe bring a poncho to be on the safe side. I will not be bringing a poncho, as that's nuisance rain to me, if it materializes.

Otherwise, it still looks to be a gorgeous day with plenty of sunshine and highs in the mid-70s (dropping to the upper 50s by the end of the game) and 5-10 mph sustained winds, but probably some "gusts" to 15-20 mph.

Neither the 18Z NAM nor the last couple of runs of the hourly-run HRRR (probably the two best short range models) show any rain during the tailgates or game through at least midnight, so hopefully 100% dry. Time to head in and get into game mode...

Temps overperforming...seeing 77s and 78s around the area and with front not really ushering in the cool til later it will lessen the liklihood of chill!

Hate to even think about it, but there is now a slight chance of a light shower or some sprinkles after about 10 pm tonight, but it's still much more likely to remain dry than to see any rain. However, if you really hate even a little bit of rain (no models are showing more than about 0.02" for the Pway area before 11 pm and most show none), maybe bring a poncho to be on the safe side. I will not be bringing a poncho, as that's nuisance rain to me, if it materializes.

Otherwise, it still looks to be a gorgeous day with plenty of sunshine and highs in the mid-70s (dropping to the upper 50s by the end of the game) and 5-10 mph sustained winds, but probably some "gusts" to 15-20 mph.
Forecast held up pretty well. Was a gorgeous, warm, mostly sunny tailgate with a few breezes and mild evening for the game with some gusts in the 2nd half and a few minutes of spritz late in the 4Q. But it never even got below 60F, which was a few degrees warmer than expected, so shorts and a tee shirt was fine for me, even if most others were a bit more bundled up (like my wife, lol). Definitely not colder than Iowa though, as expected. Given the outcome of the game, this is all I have the energy for right now.

We'll see who ends up being correct in this golden gloves level battle of the amateur mets...

200.gif
That would be me. Was clearly warmer than the Iowa game with a high of 78F vs. 72F for Iowa and a gametime low of 62F vs. a gametime low of 56F for Iowa. Case closed.

That would be me. Was clearly warmer than the Iowa game with a high of 78F vs. 72F for Iowa and a gametime low of 62F vs. a gametime low of 56F for Iowa. Case closed.
It rained and felt cooler.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: bac2therac
It rained and felt cooler.🤷‍♂️
Again, you're not paying attention at all. The argument was about whether the temperature was going to be cooler than Iowa, which bac said would be the case and I said would not. It was not and was in fact even warmer than Iowa. To me it felt warmer all game until midway through the 4Q when the winds picked up and it did feel cooler for a bit. And I'm surprised you would call 5 minutes of sprinkles, "rain" - that was absolutely nuisance "rain." The lots were also dry and not an issue, as predicted.

Again, you're not paying attention at all. The argument was about whether the temperature was going to be cooler than Iowa, which bac said would be the case and I said would not. It was not and was in fact even warmer than Iowa. To me it felt warmer all game until midway through the 4Q when the winds picked up and it did feel cooler for a bit. And I'm surprised you would call 5 minutes of sprinkles, "rain" - that was absolutely nuisance "rain." The lots were also dry and not an issue, as predicted.
I still felt colder (dressed warmer) and I was wet. Guess I’m just getting too old. 🤷‍♂

I also knew Johnson Park was going to okay by Tuesday evening. Which surprised me about knowing so early as they can be overly cautious at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT