ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for VT @ RU: A Lock for Warm, Dry, and Comfortable Humidity

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
This is similar to the NW game, where 7-8 days out it was almost a lock for very warm and dry conditions. In both setups we had a major front/ trough coming through mid-week, establishing strong high pressure in control of our weather for the next several days, which almost always means fair and dry conditions and this case is no exception, as we can very likely expect highs in the mid/upper 70s, no rain, some sun, and comfortable humidity (dewpoints in the mid-50s). The only potential fly in the ointment is Lee, but I'd say Lee is 99% to not impact our weather other than high surf/erosion. NWS discussion is very encouraging, as are all the models. Let's go 1-0 next week to get to 3-0.

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1244 AM EDT Sun Sep 10 2023

LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
A cold front will look to continue to approach the region
Tuesday night and be either on our doorstep or beginning to
cross through the region Wednesday morning. Though the cold
front may slow down some while crossing the region, it will look
to be offshore by Thursday morning. Surface high pressure will
look to build in behind the front and will look to hold
influence over the region thereafter through the end of the long
term.

Last edited:
No change in the upcoming gorgeous pattern starting after the big front comes through on Wednesday, so lock it up for warm, dry, and comfortable with plenty of sunshine. Lee should be well offshore at that point, but the storm may still be close enough to make for some breezy conditions (not a given) and it's probably a less than 1% chance that Lee comes close enough to bring any precip and higher winds.

Reactions: Local Shill
As always thanks for the info. Looks like lows in the mid 50s but I’m assuming the temperature won’t drop that low until really late correct?

I would hold back on plenty of sunshine, could still happen but. Lee's swirl could bring some clouds in through the day but we should avoid any precipitation
I'd say it's 99.9% that we won't have any rain from Lee - even the Euro with its further west solution only brings measurable rain to western LI, but yes, we could see some high clouds in the morning and afternoon along with some sun and will likely see breezy conditions (~15 mph winds), although the winds should drop off some by the evening, as the storm pulls further away. Will still be a beautiful day (and I'd rather have some clouds).

As always thanks for the info. Looks like lows in the mid 50s but I’m assuming the temperature won’t drop that low until really late correct?
Correct - temps will still be around 70F at 7 pm, when the game should be over (I hope, lol). With a bit of a breeze and the sun setting around 7:10 pm, I'm sure my wife will be bundled up, lol (she comes to about 1 game per year and that one is VT this year).

Correct - temps will still be around 70F at 7 pm, when the game should be over (I hope, lol). With a bit of a breeze and the sun setting around 7:10 pm, I'm sure my wife will be bundled up, lol (she comes to about 1 game per year and that one is VT this year).
Thanks, and she picked a good one weather wise

Season 3 Lock GIF by The Simpsons

As expected, this has been an easy forecast, as Lee will stay well offshore as forecast so well by the NHC. Looks gorgeous for Saturday with partly sunny skies (likely more high clouds for the tailgates with more sun for the game) and highs in the mid-70s, with very comfortable dewpoints in the low 50s. Will be a bit breezy with 10-15 mph winds. Now we just need to go 1-0.

Keep the positive vibe Rutgers as going 1-0 this week is not a bad thing. Even got a Hurricane to stay away good job.

As expected, this has been an easy forecast, as Lee will stay well offshore as forecast so well by the NHC. Looks gorgeous for Saturday with partly sunny skies (likely more high clouds for the tailgates with more sun for the game) and highs in the mid-70s, with very comfortable dewpoints in the low 50s. Will be a bit breezy with 10-15 mph winds. Now we just need to go 1-0.
Curious ... I never see dew points projected beyond 24 hours. Is there a good source for “future“ dew points, in the 48+ hour range? Or are you basing your outlook on trends? Thx.

Curious ... I never see dew points projected beyond 24 hours. Is there a good source for “future“ dew points, in the 48+ hour range? Or are you basing your outlook on trends? Thx.

Pepsi%20Mountain%20Dew%2024x0%2C33%20l.jpg

The NWS weather graphics are excellent and include dewpoints: just click on link below and then on the location of interest on the map to get the forecast for that area and then click on the thumbnail hourly weather graphic in the lower right side and you can then pick any 48-hour window from now through 7 days in the drop down menu on the hourly graphic.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

For example you can see the forecast dewpoints for tomorrow are right around 50F all day, which is quite dry - and with a 10-15 mph wind, in the shade, before about noon and after sunset, it might even feel a bit cool for some - my wife and I just ate at a local outdoor cafe and she was in jeans with a jacket while I was in shorts and a tee shirt (was 67F in the shade and breezy). You can also see the cloud cover is fairly high in the am from Lee, but drops off somewhat after 9 am as Lee pulls away and drops off even further after kickoff - also those will be high cirrus clouds, not rain clouds.

VMy7GF7.png

Reactions: BigRnj
Any idea what the cloud cover will be? Want to be sure I don’t have it overcook the pizza if I leave it out!

Also, looking like a relatively cloudy day, which means my corner of the stadium doesn’t get killed by the sun in the third and fourth quarters!!!!

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Also, looking like a relatively cloudy day, which means my corner of the stadium doesn’t get killed by the sun in the third and fourth quarters!!!!
Depends. The NWS has it being mostly cloudy before noon, then partly cloudy from then through 3-4 pm and then mostly clear by 7 pm (graphic above), but most of the models show it being mostly cloudy for the tailgates and the game with clearing after sunset, although we're talking generally high cirrus clouds, not thick rain clouds. I'd rather have cloudy, as I'm on the east side and don't love the sun on us in the 2nd half. Regardless, it's going to be a beautiful day.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
What is everyone doing to tailgate? Food options?!?!?
Splurged for this one and got a bunch of prime 28-day aged NY strip steaks and the best pork hot dogs money can buy from our local butcher (Nick's Meat Depot in Edison), since my wife and son and his girlfriend are joining our group tomorrow (they go to 1 game a year usually). I don't even care what the rest of the folks are bringing tomorrow, lol.

Depends. The NWS has it being mostly cloudy before noon, then partly cloudy from then through 3-4 pm and then mostly clear by 7 pm (graphic above), but most of the models show it being mostly cloudy for the tailgates and the game with clearing after sunset, although we're talking generally high cirrus clouds, not thick rain clouds. I'd rather have cloudy, as I'm on the east side and don't love the sun on us in the 2nd half. Regardless, it's going to be a beautiful day.
Lee is now well northeast of our area (240 miles east of Portsmouth, NH), so as expected, gameday will still be beautiful with high temps in the mid-70s and breezy conditions (10-15 mph winds) and low dewpoints (around 50F).

Looks like the NWS will likely be correct on the cloud forecast, as the prediction is for high clouds through the morning, but cloud cover should lessen through the afternoon and the game will likely be mostly sunny. The cloud discussion and the hourly weather graphic from the NWS are below. Enjoy and GO RU!!

The cirrus shield from Lee will linger through the morning, then pull away in the afternoon, resulting in another mostly sunny day for the vast majority of our region.

8xRK6ra.png

Couldn't ask for a much nicer day...just wish it would have stayed cloudier lol...about to enter radio silence...GO RU!!!

Lee is now well northeast of our area (240 miles east of Portsmouth, NH), so as expected, gameday will still be beautiful with high temps in the mid-70s and breezy conditions (10-15 mph winds) and low dewpoints (around 50F).

Looks like the NWS will likely be correct on the cloud forecast, as the prediction is for high clouds through the morning, but cloud cover should lessen through the afternoon and the game will likely be mostly sunny. The cloud discussion and the hourly weather graphic from the NWS are below. Enjoy and GO RU!!

The cirrus shield from Lee will linger through the morning, then pull away in the afternoon, resulting in another mostly sunny day for the vast majority of our region.

8xRK6ra.png
Wow, the NWS completely nailed the forecast for today, especially on cloud cover, as it was cloudy until late morning, then partly cloudy until maybe 2-3 pm, then mostly clear from 3 pm onward, as they predicted (and the models were showing more clouds). Temps, dewpoints and winds were just about spot on too.

What a gorgeous freakin' day for tailgates and football. We had our best tailgate of the year with butcher steaks and hot dogs and lots of good sides and drinks and we had our best game of the year, at least with respect to beating a team that is significantly better than NW or Temple, with regard to size and athleticism. What's not to like? Bring on the Wolverines!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT