ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for Pinstripe Bowl: will be mild (low 50s), but low chance of a few light showers

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Well, last night's major global models showed everything from a raging rainstorm Thursday afternoon (Euro) to a brief shower (CMC) to a gorgeous sunny day GFS), while today's 12Z models are completely inconsistent with what was seen last night, with the Euro/GFS both showing a mild (highs in the low 50s), dry day, but now the CMC sis howing significant rainfall through the morning and into the early afternoon.

The only thing the models seem relatively consistent on is temps being well above average (42/26F is the average high/low on 12/28), as they're all handling next week's potential storm differently, which is not unusual this far out for operational models, which are more prone to wild swings than the somewhat smoothed out ensemble forecasts (where each model is run 20-50X with slightly varying initial/boundary conditions to evaluate sensitivity), which are showing some potential for rain, but above normal temps.

Bottom line is it's way too early to know, for sure, if we're going to see some rain or not, but it is looking pretty likely that it won't be colder than the upper 40s. Stay tuned.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/

FYI, most probably know this already, but zero chance of a white Christmas anywhere in the NE US; will be sunny and mild with a high around 50F. On the plus side for winter enthusiasts, most long range pros are forecasting a pattern shift by the end of the month, lasting at least a few weeks - not necessarily brutal cold, but colder than average, which opens up the possibility of snow, if we can get the cold air to coincide with a decent storm track (can't be predicted this far out). We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Well, last night's major global models showed everything from a raging rainstorm Thursday afternoon (Euro) to a brief shower (CMC) to a gorgeous sunny day GFS), while today's 12Z models are completely inconsistent with what was seen last night, with the Euro/GFS both showing a mild (highs in the low 50s), dry day, but now the CMC sis howing significant rainfall through the morning and into the early afternoon.

The only thing the models seem relatively consistent on is temps being well above average (42/26F is the average high/low on 12/28), as they're all handling next week's potential storm differently, which is not unusual this far out for operational models, which are more prone to wild swings than the somewhat smoothed out ensemble forecasts (where each model is run 20-50X with slightly varying initial/boundary conditions to evaluate sensitivity), which are showing some potential for rain, but above normal temps.

Bottom line is it's way too early to know, for sure, if we're going to see some rain or not, but it is looking pretty likely that it won't be colder than the upper 40s. Stay tuned.

FYI, most probably know this already, but zero chance of a white Christmas anywhere in the NE US; will be sunny and mild with a high around 50F. On the plus side for winter enthusiasts, most long range pros are forecasting a pattern shift by the end of the month, lasting at least a few weeks - not necessarily brutal cold, but colder than average, which opens up the possibility of snow, if we can get the cold air to coincide with a decent storm track (can't be predicted this far out). We'll see.
We haven't had an official White Christmas in Philadelphia since 2002

If I recall correctly, that was a pretty decent storm for our area too. Started as rain in the morning and quickly turned over to snow.

If I recall correctly, that was a pretty decent storm for our area too. Started as rain in the morning and quickly turned over to snow.
An official White Christmas is considered 1 inch. Last one was 2002. There was "snow" in 2009 but not really.

Reactions: Rugwu
An official White Christmas is considered 1 inch. Last one was 2002. There was "snow" in 2009 but not really.
I just remember it being a good amount up here and enough to screw up that day’s travel. It may have been better down in Philly.

North Plainfield, NJ and up into Jersey. Was driving to my sister’s place in Montclair that day.

North Plainfield, NJ and up into Jersey. Was driving to my sister’s place in Montclair that day.
I was born in Plainfield. Freshman year stayed at my aunt and uncle's in 1979-1980 in North Plainfield

Muhlenberg? Me too and much of my family too.
Yes! My Aunt was a nurse there for years before going to a private practice. The best thing about living in Plainfield was Texas Weiners off Front Street.

Yes! My Aunt was a nurse there for years before going to a private practice.
That’s awesome! I believe the nursing school still exists and was always well respected. The ED is still open but I’m not sure where the redevelopment of the remaining site is.

Did you live in Plainfield or north Plainfield?
Plainfield. In 1968 we bought a house in Lavalette and went there every weekend from Easter to Thanksgiving. Then we finally moved there permanently. My cousin was Paul O'Keefe the mayor of Plainfield

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Plainfield. In 1968 we bought a house in Lavalette and went there every weekend from Easter to Thanksgiving. Then we finally moved there permanently. My cousin was Paul O'Keefe the mayor of Plainfield
Sleepy hollow?

That was a fun storm, as we had a ton of rain in most of NJ/SEPA/NYC overnight and through Christmas morning, but then cold air moved in turning the rain to snow from NW to SE and we ended up with about 4" in Metuchen, with the changeover being very sudden around 1:30 pm and then it puked heavy snow for several hours (took some time to start accumulating).

They even got 1-2" down towards Philly and Gloucester County, where my mom used to live (where I grew up) and I recall telling her she had to leave our house around noon to be on the safe side of not having to drive home in snow (she and her SO at the time had celebrated with us on Christmas Eve/morning and were visiting other family for Christmas dinner back home).

Good storm summary at Ray Martin's archive...

https://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2003/25-Dec-02.html

Not a lot of change in the models or NWS forecast for Thursday. Still looking very likely to be mild with high temps in the low 50s and still great uncertainty on whether or not we get some showers during the morning or afternoon, although it's at least looking like "significant" rainfall (>0.2", although many folks would be uncomfortable with 0.050-0.10", as we've seen) is unlikely. Looks like the kind of setup where we might not have clarity on showers until a day or two before the event.

Not a lot of change in the models or NWS forecast for Thursday. Still looking very likely to be mild with high temps in the low 50s and still great uncertainty on whether or not we get some showers during the morning or afternoon, although it's at least looking like "significant" rainfall (>0.2", although many folks would be uncomfortable with 0.050-0.10", as we've seen) is unlikely. Looks like the kind of setup where we might not have clarity on showers until a day or two before the event.
You just had to get that 0.050-0.10 dig in, didn’t ya? 😂

You just had to get that 0.050-0.10 dig in, didn’t ya? 😂
lol, wasn't intended as a dig, just a reminder that more than a few folks get upset about light rain like that. In fact, at the MSU tailgates, we had about 0.04" before the game and there were more than a few people whining about that. It's football, it's outdoors, and it might rain a little...

The last time I checked the NWS site it has the temps going up and the percentage of rain going down.

I like the that kind of trend.

And still not much change. Confidence is still high in a warmer than normal day with highs in the low 50s and confidence is high in there not being any significant rain (>0.1"), but confidence is low on whether we have a dry game or a game with a couple of light showers. Fortunately, even if we get a few showers, no models right now are showing more than 0.05" of rain, overall from 1 pm to 7 pm and most are showing no rain or maybe a sprinkle of <0.01" of rain. Still need to watch to make sure more rain doesn't develop, but right now it looks like a decent day with maybe just a bit of light rain.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Confidence is also now pretty high on the pattern change to seasonable-to-colder than normal weather (but not brutally cold) starting about Saturday and lasting for at least a week or two. Whether or not we can also have precip arrive while it's cold to produce some snow is an open question, although it's obviously more likely to snow when most days are colder than normal vs. the type of weather we've been having. Keep your eyes on early January. Good video on all of this starting at the 26 min mark. Might even be worth a thread...

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I’m LOVING the updated forecast that I’m seeing. 48-54 with ZERO rain on Thursday!!

#CargoShortsTime
Sorry, that's not the forecast and never has been. The forecast has consistently shown a 25-40% chance of showers and still does (~25% now). Having said, that, however, what I've been saying for days (and am still saying) is that while there's some chance of a shower, any showers that fall should be brief and light, amounting to <0.05", based on what we're seeing on all of the models.

There is a good chance the entire afternoon is dry with some sunshine, but one can't rule out the chance of one or two of those brief showers, yet. Will certainly be on the mild side with highs in the low/mid 50s and winds should be reasonable (5-10 mph). See the discussion excerpt below and the NWS-NYC hourly graphic.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
704 PM EST Mon Dec 25 2023

The low to our south then passes through late
at night into early Thursday morning, combining with the moisture
convergence along the cold front shifting through. Rain therefore
becomes even more likely Wednesday night. Rain chances then drop off
by the end of Thursday morning behind the departing storm system,
with some areas possibly having an entirely dry day.

Plotter.php

Reactions: Actual Attendance
My Lord ….the forecast I SAW THIS MORNING HAD ZERO RAIN and 48-54 in The Bronx. It had been showing chance of rain, dropping daily, since Friday(?). Was at 85% 3 days ago and then 55% then 35% yesterday.

(and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!)

*** still the same as of now

• Haha
My Lord ….the forecast I SAW THIS MORNING HAD ZERO RAIN and 48-54 in The Bronx. It had been showing chance of rain, dropping daily, since Friday(?). Was at 85% 3 days ago and then 55% then 35% yesterday.

(and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!)

*** still the same as of now
I'd say you need a new source, as I haven't seen any showing zero % chance of rain, now or 85% chance of rain 3 days ago (and I regularly look at at least 5-6 sources, including the NWS). Some of this is likely semantics, as not everyone understands forecasted precip probabilities. Below is what is meant, from an excerpt from the NWS, with the bottom line right now being that we have a ~25% chance of measurable precip (>0.01" with likely amounts less than 0.02") sometime during Thursday afternoon in the Bronx. Not a major concern for anyone other than little girls with ringlets in their hair, lol. Hope you and yours had a great Christmas today - we certainly did!

https://www.weather.gov/media/pah/WeatherEducation/pop.pdf

To summarize, the probability of precipitation is simply a statistical probability of 0.01" inch or more of precipitation at a given area in the given forecast area in the time period specified.

If a forecast for a given county says that there is a 40% chance of rain this afternoon, then there is a 40% chance of rain at any pointin the county from noon to 6 p.m. local time.

My phone is TWC and their site is showing the same: High of 55 no precipitation (as of now). It’s 3-days out so I don’t need charts (if it rains a little, fine, BUT either forecast isn’t keeping ANYONE away right now so does it really matter) I’m good 👍 👍 👍

• Haha
My phone is TWC and their site is showing the same: High of 55 no precipitation (as of now). It’s 3-days out so I don’t need charts (if it rains a little, fine, BUT either forecast isn’t keeping ANYONE away right now so does it really matter) I’m good 👍 👍 👍
Yeah, I don't use any of the apps, as they generally are inferior to the NWS, especially if one wants finer details of a forecast. Maybe I can't see the details as I don't have the app, but TWC website has the following, which I guess means a 22% chance of precip >0.01" (as per my previous note), but they seem to be ignoring rainfall below that level, since they don't list an accumulated precip.

At this point we're arguing for sport, but we agree 110% that this forecast absolutely should not be keeping anyone from attending and on the contrary should be attracting people, since a high in the mid-50s is a good 10-15F above normal and any rain should be nuisance level.

Thu 28 | Day​

53° 22%
NNW7 mph
Mostly cloudy skies. High 53F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

This Afternoon
Cloudy, with a high near 48. Light southeast wind.
Tonight
A 40 percent chance of rain, mainly after midnight. Patchy fog after 8pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 43. Light east wind.
Wednesday
Rain, mainly after noon. High near 51. East wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Rain. Low around 48. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Thursday
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. North wind around 7 mph.

Thank God the game is not Wednesday. However nobody is talking how bad the field conditions could be.

This Afternoon
Cloudy, with a high near 48. Light southeast wind.
Tonight
A 40 percent chance of rain, mainly after midnight. Patchy fog after 8pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 43. Light east wind.
Wednesday
Rain, mainly after noon. High near 51. East wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Rain. Low around 48. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Thursday

A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. North wind around 7 mph.
Aren't the percentages for Thursday all in the morning? I'm seeing the rain stopping are 10/11am. Then the percentages dip to under 20%.

The app on my phone shows rain Wednesday into Thursday. So maybe by game time no rain? Regardless, a high of 52 and a low of 46 is better than anyone could hope for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT