ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for Pinstripe Bowl: will be mild (low 50s), but low chance of a few light showers

The app on my phone shows rain Wednesday into Thursday. So maybe by game time no rain? Regardless, a high of 52 and a low of 46 is better than anyone could hope for.
We’re looking pretty good for festivities and game.

Aren't the percentages for Thursday all in the morning? I'm seeing the rain stopping are 10/11am. Then the percentages dip to under 20%.
This exactly
I have seen the same forecast. Rain over by Noon.. then a 6 hour window of drier weather and then showers at night. Perfect for the Game.

Sorry, that's not the forecast and never has been. The forecast has consistently shown a 25-40% chance of showers and still does (~25% now). Having said, that, however, what I've been saying for days (and am still saying) is that while there's some chance of a shower, any showers that fall should be brief and light, amounting to <0.05", based on what we're seeing on all of the models.

There is a good chance the entire afternoon is dry with some sunshine, but one can't rule out the chance of one or two of those brief showers, yet. Will certainly be on the mild side with highs in the low/mid 50s and winds should be reasonable (5-10 mph). See the discussion excerpt below and the NWS-NYC hourly graphic.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
704 PM EST Mon Dec 25 2023

The low to our south then passes through late
at night into early Thursday morning, combining with the moisture
convergence along the cold front shifting through. Rain therefore
becomes even more likely Wednesday night. Rain chances then drop off
by the end of Thursday morning behind the departing storm system,
with some areas possibly having an entirely dry day.
Interesting that the NWS-NYC has clearly upped the POP (probability of precip) from yesterday's 25-30% to 40-50% during the afternoon on Thursday, but they really haven't increased the forecasted rainfall by much at all, as they're still predicting <0.05" from 1 pm to 7 pm, which is the key time everyone is interested in. That would be kind of like a few light 15-20 minute showers/sprinkles a few times during the game. Annoying, but tolerable for most.

And today's 12Z models range from about half of them having little to no rain at all (<0.02"), while about half do show 0.05-0.10" of rain from 1-7 pm, which is nuisance rain to me, but we've seen that much make our fanbase complain pretty loudly. Keep in mind, though, that there is more significant rain just 6-12 hours before kickoff and after the end of the game, so don't be surprised if the game trends a little wetter. At least temps still look mild, in the low/mid 50s through the afternoon and into the early evening and winds look to be light, so there won't be any wind chill.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

dJssoN4.png

Interesting that the NWS-NYC has clearly upped the POP (probability of precip) from yesterday's 25-30% to 40-50% during the afternoon on Thursday, but they really haven't increased the forecasted rainfall by much at all, as they're still predicting <0.05" from 1 pm to 7 pm, which is the key time everyone is interested in. That would be kind of like a few light 15-20 minute showers/sprinkles a few times during the game. Annoying, but tolerable for most.

And today's 12Z models range from about half of them having little to no rain at all (<0.02"), while about half do show 0.05-0.10" of rain from 1-7 pm, which is nuisance rain to me, but we've seen that much make our fanbase complain pretty loudly. Keep in mind, though, that there is more significant rain just 6-12 hours before kickoff and after the end of the game, so don't be surprised if the game trends a little wetter. At least temps still look mild, in the low/mid 50s through the afternoon and into the early evening and winds look to be light, so there won't be any wind chill.

dJssoN4.png

So essentially, this is gonna change a lot more tomorrow, as it has the last 48 hours, so I’ll say this:

Probably 98% of the people bought tickets for this game, including a ton in the last week, couldn’t give a shit about a little light rain during the game , with temperatures in the low 50s. +98% of people are not tailgating outdoors for this game, which is a huge, huge difference.

Reactions: RUinOhio
So essentially, this is gonna change a lot more tomorrow, as it has the last 48 hours, so I’ll say this:

Probably 98% of the people bought tickets for this game, including a ton in the last week, couldn’t give a shit about a little light rain during the game , with temperatures in the low 50s. +98% of people are not tailgating outdoors for this game, which is a huge, huge difference.
You haven't paid attention to my gameday weather threads, lol. Some people tend to freak out if there is even the tiniest bit of rain (like the amounts we're talking about for this game).

Reactions: RU at the shore
No such thing as nuisance rain during a bowl game in nyc in December
Sure there is when temps are in the low 50s and no wind and we're talking maybe 0.01-0.03" of rain. That's a nuisance to most, even if it's not to you. We've covered this 100X before.

Couldn't ask for a better outcome here
Bringing my wife and daughter and it's a relief about the weather
Thought we'd have to wear parka's but glad to be wrong!

Couldn't ask for a better outcome here
Bringing my wife and daughter and it's a relief about the weather
Thought we'd have to wear parka's but glad to be wrong!
Most recent one I saw was some rain until about 9am and then nothing again to maybe 5:30-6ish.

Highest temps during the game. 53?

While the chance of showers does diminish to 40% or less in the afternoon i would still recommend people throw light ponchos in their cars just in case

Reactions: DesertSun
.06 forecast for the gametime period between 12 and 6 and the chance of rain still around 50%. Extremely likely that the heavier rain is over by midmorning but for those out and about getting to pre game festivities or driving in be aware there you still may to dodge some lingering light rain at times.

Plotter.php

.06 forecast for the gametime period between 12 and 6 and the chance of rain still around 50%. Extremely likely that the heavier rain is over by midmorning but for those out and about getting to pre game festivities or driving in be aware there you still may to dodge some lingering light rain at times.

Plotter.php
If what it's doing outside, NOW, is what we MIGHT get during the game tomorrow....no worries whatsoever, IMHO. It's ALMOST shorts weather lol!!

Most recent one I saw was some rain until about 9am and then nothing again to maybe 5:30-6ish.

Highest temps during the game. 53?
Every 12Z model (they've just come out) shows at least a little bit of rain between about 1 pm and 7 pm, i.e., some show only 0.01-0.02", while others show 0.05-0.10". Very unlikely we don't get at least a brief (15-20 min) light shower or two between 2 pm and 6:30 pm (the time when people will likely be outside). Impossible to predict when, exactly, any of those showers hits, i.e., the game could be completely dry, but that seems unlikely at this point.

It'll be mild (low 50s), so a little light rain won't be an issue for most, but if we get over 0.05", that'll start to get people pretty wet, so not a bad idea to bring a light poncho if you have an issue with light rain.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/mode...h=2023122712&fh=36&r=us_ma&dpdt=&mc=&pwplus=1

Every 12Z model (they've just come out) shows at least a little bit of rain between about 1 pm and 7 pm, i.e., some show only 0.01-0.02", while others show 0.05-0.10". Very unlikely we don't get at least a brief (15-20 min) light shower or two between 2 pm and 6:30 pm (the time when people will likely be outside). Impossible to predict when, exactly, any of those showers hits, i.e., the game could be completely dry, but that seems unlikely at this point.

It'll be mild (low 50s), so a little light rain won't be an issue for most, but if we get over 0.05", that'll start to get people pretty wet, so not a bad idea to bring a light poncho if you have an issue with light rain.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/mode...h=2023122712&fh=36&r=us_ma&dpdt=&mc=&pwplus=1
This game could be 3-hours flat. Run, run and more run by both sides tomorrow, is my guess.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
On the positive side, I'm inferring from the google maps picture that, if the sun peeks out, the seats on the 3B side and down the left field line will get some sun.
Oh yeah...there's a reason you see lots of empty seats at Yankee day games in the 300's/400's down the left field line...it can get HOT up there!

And it's pouring in Annapolis for Va. Tech - Tulane. Should have passed NYC by game time tomorrow.

Latest from the NWS-NYC. Not much change, as they're still predicting only light rain/sprinkles at times with <0.05" from 1-7 pm (in their graphics). It'll be kind of gloomy, but I think most will take low 50s and a little bit of rain in late Dec over some of the alternatives.

Area Forecast Discussion
410 PM EST Wed Dec 27 2023

SHORT TERM /6 AM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...

The steadiest rain pushes east through the morning, though
the region doesn`t dry out entirely. Conditions remain gloomy,
with low stratus, mist, and occasional light rain with the
closed low off to west, and several spokes of energy rotating
around it. Maintained high end chance PoPs (50%) Thursday
afternoon and into the overnight. QPF will be light after the
morning hours, with minimal additional hydro concerns. Mostly
cloudy to overcast skies persist.

Temperatures will remain above normal Thursday with highs in the
low to mid 50s, or about 10 degrees above normal for late
December.

• Wow
Reactions: SpankyLicksNUTS
FYI, 1-1.5" of rain have already fallen in much of the eastern PA/NJ region (not yet in NYC metro) and flood warnings and advisories have been posted for urban/poor drainage flooding and some minor stream and river flooding expected later today as rains drain into these streams/rivers.

More importantly, I just realized that the NWS has declared that Middlesex and Somerset Counties are part of Northern NJ, not Central NJ. We might have to inform the Gov, lol.

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=PHI&wwa=flood advisory

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1226 AM EST Thu Dec 28 2023

...FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 630 AM EST THIS MORNING...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central and northern New Jersey, including the

following counties, in central New Jersey, Mercer and Monmouth. In
northern New Jersey, Middlesex, Morris, Somerset and Sussex.

* WHEN...Until 630 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

Woke-up in middle of night to rain coming down in buckets and flood warnings in reports.
Grateful its not snow.

• Wow
Reactions: RutgersKen
It’s perfect out right now!!! Almost “balmy” with clouds. Looking like another sprinkle maybe and that’s it! Low of 49 at game’s end!!!

Latest from the NWS-NYC. Not much change, as they're still predicting only light rain/sprinkles at times with <0.05" from 1-7 pm (in their graphics). It'll be kind of gloomy, but I think most will take low 50s and a little bit of rain in late Dec over some of the alternatives.

Area Forecast Discussion
410 PM EST Wed Dec 27 2023

SHORT TERM /6 AM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT/...

The steadiest rain pushes east through the morning, though
the region doesn`t dry out entirely. Conditions remain gloomy,
with low stratus, mist, and occasional light rain with the
closed low off to west, and several spokes of energy rotating
around it. Maintained high end chance PoPs (50%) Thursday
afternoon and into the overnight. QPF will be light after the
morning hours, with minimal additional hydro concerns. Mostly
cloudy to overcast skies persist.

Temperatures will remain above normal Thursday with highs in the
low to mid 50s, or about 10 degrees above normal for late
December.
We might luck out and have a dry or almost dry game, if the latest NWS forecast holds, as they decreased the rain probability a bit as well as the forecast amounts, now with only 0.04" from 1 pm to 7 pm, which is nuisance rain for the game (if, say, 0.02" fall during the game). Heading into NYC shortly. Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kzdE7GU.png

Reactions: thegock
Picked up another 2.54” in Hunterdon last night, 9.80” for the month of December which, quite frankly, is ****ing insane.

Looks like the really big totals missed the city so stadium should just be damp but fine, maybe some drizzle this evening.

We might luck out and have a dry or almost dry game, if the latest NWS forecast holds, as they decreased the rain probability a bit as well as the forecast amounts, now with only 0.04" from 1 pm to 7 pm, which is nuisance rain for the game (if, say, 0.02" fall during the game). Heading into NYC shortly. Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kzdE7GU.png
We absolutely lucked out! Apart from a bit of light rain on the drive in, there was essentially no rain from about noon until the game was over - and I don't count a little fine mist as "rain," as it didn't accumulate or make anyone wet. Mild with no wind and clouds ain't bad for 12/28 and, of course, winning the bowl game was fantastic. 7-6 baby and we finally beat Miami!! Haven't read the board at all - will wade in later...

Reactions: RUinOhio
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT