ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for OSU: Looks to be cloudy and warm with a few showers possible

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Early read is that next Saturday in Columbus should be warmer than normal (71/50F is normal for 10/1), with highs in the mid-70s and much sunshine likely and no rain in the forecast. However, it's a week out and there is some model variability late in the week, with some features that could bring some showers on Friday and Friday's not that far from Saturday, i.e., if these systems evolve a bit differently, the forecast for Saturday could change. Having said that, best guess now is warm and dry.
http://www.weather.gov/iln/

Does divine intervention come with this sweet weather?
Only if the official forecast holds up, lol. Still calling for partly sunny, warm (low 70s) and dry, but if one digs into the model discussion, the Euro (ECMWF) is lurking with a less optimistic forecast and the Euro is still the best model and has to be respected, even when it's somewhat of an outlier, as per the AFD:

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
A closed upper level low will settle down across Upper Ohio Valley
region through the end of the work week. The 12Z GFS has trended a
little more in line with the ECMWF with this feature, now hanging it
back across our region through Friday before trying to push it off
to the east over the weekend. Meanwhile the 12Z ECMWF hangs on to
the low even longer, keeping it in place across our area through the
weekend. As a result, will go ahead and allow for some low chance
pops through at least Friday and will try to show at least a little
bit of a diurnal enhancement in the pops. Will also nudge up sky
cover through the afternoons to allow for some diurnal type cloud
development. If the forecast continues to trend toward what the
ECMWF is indicating, pops may need to eventually be added to next
weekend too.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Only if the official forecast holds up, lol. Still calling for partly sunny, warm (low 70s) and dry, but if one digs into the model discussion, the Euro (ECMWF) is lurking with a less optimistic forecast and the Euro is still the best model and has to be respected, even when it's somewhat of an outlier, as per the AFD:

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
A closed upper level low will settle down across Upper Ohio Valley
region through the end of the work week. The 12Z GFS has trended a
little more in line with the ECMWF with this feature, now hanging it
back across our region through Friday before trying to push it off
to the east over the weekend. Meanwhile the 12Z ECMWF hangs on to
the low even longer, keeping it in place across our area through the
weekend. As a result, will go ahead and allow for some low chance
pops through at least Friday and will try to show at least a little
bit of a diurnal enhancement in the pops. Will also nudge up sky
cover through the afternoons to allow for some diurnal type cloud
development. If the forecast continues to trend toward what the
ECMWF is indicating, pops may need to eventually be added to next
weekend too.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Official forecast is still warm and dry, but a slight chance of showers is now in the forecast grids for Columbus and the AFD is even less optimistic than it was yesterday. I won't be there, so I don't really care - and I have no idea if rain would help or hurt us - but there's a little more chance of rain now.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
The GFS has continued to trend more in line with the ECMWF,
lingering the upper level low across the region through at least the
end of the week. As a result, have continued to nudge up pops each
day through Saturday and tweaked down temperatures a bit. Beyond
that, both the GFS and ECMWF are trying to lift the low
northeastward and out of the area, although the ECMWF is still
slower in that process.

Official forecast is still warm and dry, but a slight chance of showers is now in the forecast grids for Columbus and the AFD is even less optimistic than it was yesterday. I won't be there, so I don't really care - and I have no idea if rain would help or hurt us - but there's a little more chance of rain now.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
The GFS has continued to trend more in line with the ECMWF,
lingering the upper level low across the region through at least the
end of the week. As a result, have continued to nudge up pops each
day through Saturday and tweaked down temperatures a bit. Beyond
that, both the GFS and ECMWF are trying to lift the low
northeastward and out of the area, although the ECMWF is still
slower in that process.

So, as feared showers have crept into the forecast, so I changed the thread title. Nowhere near washout level showers, but enough to be a bit of a nuiscance. Still should be seasonably warm with highs in the low 70s.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Closed upper low will be working gradually northward to SE Indiana
on Friday. Showers will be likely in the moist and weakly unstable
circulation around the upper low and its cold pool aloft, aided by
low level convergence associated with an inverted surface trough. As
the upper low continues to exhibit slow movement on a path to the
central Great Lakes, a good chance of showers will persist through
Saturday.

So, as feared showers have crept into the forecast, so I changed the thread title. Nowhere near washout level showers, but enough to be a bit of a nuiscance. Still should be seasonably warm with highs in the low 70s.

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
Closed upper low will be working gradually northward to SE Indiana
on Friday. Showers will be likely in the moist and weakly unstable
circulation around the upper low and its cold pool aloft, aided by
low level convergence associated with an inverted surface trough. As
the upper low continues to exhibit slow movement on a path to the
central Great Lakes, a good chance of showers will persist through
Saturday.

In case anyone is still paying attention to the weather in which OSU will stomp us, the latest forecast is holding, i.e., cloudy and warm (highs around 70F) with a chance for a few light showers (<0.1" of rain is forecast) - not a washout by any stretch, but likely a bit gloomy.

Plotter.php

In case anyone is still paying attention to the weather in which OSU will stomp us, the latest forecast is holding, i.e., cloudy and warm (highs around 70F) with a chance for a few light showers (<0.1" of rain is forecast) - not a washout by any stretch, but likely a bit gloomy.
Yes, most assuredly still paying attention. This will impact my packing this evening for the trip.

Yes, most assuredly still paying attention. This will impact my packing this evening for the trip.
ok, then - if you're leaving tonight, the weather in Columbus is going to be pretty crappy from now through the game (will be even wetter than Saturday). Skies may start to clear some late on Saturday and into Sunday and Sunday is looking decent. Have a great trip. We went out 2 years ago and had a blast before the game in town and for the first 10 minutes of the game - all downhill after that, lol. Enjoy.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...iln&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=242&map_y=98#.V-zla_krLb2

Final update:it's a cloudy and cool start to the day, with a few light showers in the area, but likely to be mostly dry until the game, when there could be a few light showers (<0.1" of rain) and slight chance of thunder/lightning) with cloudy skies and highs in the upper 60s. Another example of why not go with the forecast very far out...

Plotter.php

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT