ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for USC: it's SoCal in October, so warm/dry - easiest forecast this year (thread was for gorgeous weather for UCLA)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
With today's putrid loss, I hope we're not back to the days of just hoping for great tailgate weather, but if we are, it's at least looking like we're going to have great tailgate weather again with very likely warm and dry conditions, with highs around 70F after a morning low in the mid-40s (normal for 10/19 is 65/43F)). We're a week out and it's just about a lock which is very unusual (like the forecast for today was basically a lock a week out), but the pattern with high pressure being in control is pretty locked in and there's not a drop of rain in any model within 48 hours of the game anywhere within 300-400 miles of P'way.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddynyse and RUPete
I plan to be there early. A lot going on. I guess a change of clothes for tailgate and the game if it's clear sunny skies like today. Sunscreen lotion as well.

I plan to be there early. A lot going on. I guess a change of clothes for tailgate and the game if it's clear sunny skies like today. Sunscreen lotion as well.
Being the whitest person you know, today was a definitely sunscreen day for me. What an absolutely gorgeous day it was, though - best tailgate of the year for our group, as we had a full crew, plus my old buddy who was the first person to join me in getting season tix during Schiano's 2nd year, was able to drive up from Maryland with his wife (an RU grad who used to go to the games with us too) and 2 teenage boys, so that was fun. And the sausage I got from our local butcher (Nick's Meat Depot in Edison if anyone is interested - they have amazing meats) made for fantastic sausage, peppers and onions (on great Italian rolls they carry). I just wish we had less noon games.

It’s been pretty easy to predict this weather. We’re in a major drought.
Yes it has been pretty easy in this kind of pattern which is expected to continue, although we could definitely use some rain, as half of the area is abnormally dry and most of the other half is in moderate drought.

814prcp.new.gif

462596989_941472928005472_3841933337729434950_n.jpg

Yes it has been pretty easy in this kind of pattern which is expected to continue, although we could definitely use some rain, as half of the area is abnormally dry and most of the other half is in moderate drought.

814prcp.new.gif

When will this pattern change? It seems like no rain is expected for the next few weeks.

When will this pattern change? It seems like no rain is expected for the next few weeks.
I don't put a lot of stock in most pattern forecasts (other than the seasonal tropical activity forecasts, which are pretty good, but not perfect, obviously) beyond about 3 weeks, so hard to say when we start getting some rain.

Reactions: RU-Hunter
Well, the fine weather should make for a packed and lively house on Saturday. :CHOP:

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
You could not have asked for a nicer October day than yesterday. And this game looks like a beautiful autumn day too, albeit a week out.

Sadly, the scoreboard for Rutgers was as cold as Mr. Freeze.

Reactions: Local Shill
The Blue lot is like a dessert. Crunchy dried grass as you walk. Be careful with charcoal grills. One hot coal on that dead grass will flame up.

The Blue lot is like a dessert. Crunchy dried grass as you walk. Be careful with charcoal grills. One hot coal on that dead grass will flame up.
When you say dessert do you mean tiramisu or flan or ice cream ?

Our weather is so boring I almost forgot about updating this thread, lol. No change in the forecast. As expected, this one's a lock for a gorgeous fall day with a chilly start in the low 40s, but quickly warming up to about 70F by early afternoon, with abundant sunshine. Zero chance of rain. Couldn't ask for better homecoming weather. We better win this one.

Our weather is so boring I almost forgot about updating this thread, lol. No change in the forecast. As expected, this one's a lock for a gorgeous fall day with a chilly start in the low 40s, but quickly warming up to about 70F by early afternoon, with abundant sunshine. Zero chance of rain. Couldn't ask for better homecoming weather. We better win this one.
You’re lips to g-d’s ears…..

Reactions: RU848789
Most of the area has had little to no rain in October, so far, and it'll likely remain dry through next week. We could really use some rain, especially since the fire danger is getting pretty high.

Most of the area has had little to no rain in October, so far, and it'll likely remain dry through next week. We could really use some rain, especially since the fire danger is getting pretty high.
I'm tired of the people crying about their lawns. It's October and the growing season has already ended in cooler places.
Looks fabulous for homecoming!

I saw this earlier. Looks like the NJ area may have had a top 5 driest September ever. October seems to be on that pace too

Being the whitest person you know, today was a definitely sunscreen day for me. What an absolutely gorgeous day it was, though - best tailgate of the year for our group, as we had a full crew, plus my old buddy who was the first person to join me in getting season tix during Schiano's 2nd year, was able to drive up from Maryland with his wife (an RU grad who used to go to the games with us too) and 2 teenage boys, so that was fun. And the sausage I got from our local butcher (Nick's Meat Depot in Edison if anyone is interested - they have amazing meats) made for fantastic sausage, peppers and onions (on great Italian rolls they carry). I just wish we had less noon games.

Never heard of this place (that I can recall) and I went to a tailgate Saturday where they had some amazing stuff from there. I have to try it when I am “up north” as they say.

Never heard of this place (that I can recall) and I went to a tailgate Saturday where they had some amazing stuff from there. I have to try it when I am “up north” as they say.
Was that the tailgate of our mutual friends from RU? Didn't think they shopped at Nick's and we didn't get to stop by, as our tailgate was bigger than usual. Nick's rocks for all kinds of meats - I won't buy steaks, in particular, at the grocery store anymore.

Was that the tailgate of our mutual friends from RU? Didn't think they shopped at Nick's and we didn't get to stop by, as our tailgate was bigger than usual. Nick's rocks for all kinds of meats - I won't buy steaks, in particular, at the grocery store anymore.
Was in Green with a work friend and some neighbors of his from Woodbridge

814prcp.new.gif

Drought update for the NWS-Philly region. Everywhere got worse since the last update above. It's possible we don't get any rain the next two weeks and if that happens, many locations will be seeing their longest rainless spell in recorded history. This is from the NWS yesterday:

Trenton and the Atlantic City Marina in New Jersey are currently experiencing their driest rolling 2 month period on record since 1865 and 1873 respectively. Trenton has only received 0.75” of rain in the last 60 days, and only 0.62” of rain in the last 60 days at the AC Marina. In addition, Philadelphia's last day of measurable rainfall was Sept 28. That will make today the 17th consecutive day without measurable rainfall. The record since 1871 is 29 days, which ran from Oct 11 to Nov 8 in 1874. If the current forecast for no rain holds through next week, we'll be in at least the top 10 driest stretches of days on record. Philly will need to make it through the end of Monday, October 28th without measurable rainfall in order to break the station record. That's why much of the state and region are in some level of drought.

Reactions: Postman_1
Drought update for the NWS-Philly region. Everywhere got worse since the last update above. It's possible we don't get any rain the next two weeks and if that happens, many locations will be seeing their longest rainless spell in recorded history. This is from the NWS yesterday:

Trenton and the Atlantic City Marina in New Jersey are currently experiencing their driest rolling 2 month period on record since 1865 and 1873 respectively. Trenton has only received 0.75” of rain in the last 60 days, and only 0.62” of rain in the last 60 days at the AC Marina. In addition, Philadelphia's last day of measurable rainfall was Sept 28. That will make today the 17th consecutive day without measurable rainfall. The record since 1871 is 29 days, which ran from Oct 11 to Nov 8 in 1874. If the current forecast for no rain holds through next week, we'll be in at least the top 10 driest stretches of days on record. Philly will need to make it through the end of Monday, October 28th without measurable rainfall in order to break the station record. That's why much of the state and region are in some level of drought.

Can't wait for Homecoming. Things needed is layers of clothes that need to be shed so by kick off it's just shorts and T-shirts. Need to stop a Scarlet Fever before hand. All Letterwinners tailgate! We have the Frank Burns Pavilion at Athletics Glen. Should be a great day but need the W!

Can't wait for Homecoming. Things needed is layers of clothes that need to be shed so by kick off it's just shorts and T-shirts. Need to stop a Scarlet Fever before hand. All Letterwinners tailgate! We have the Frank Burns Pavilion at Athletics Glen. Should be a great day but need the W!
Should be very light wind and full sun, so once it's about 50F or so, by 9 am when we're starting our tailgate, I'd say it's shorts and t-shirt; maybe at most have a light jacket before then. Really need the W.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The shorts are iffy as it will be a few degrees cooler than last week and it will not warm as quickly in the morning as last time where we approached 70 by 1030. Likely not to hit 70 til maybe 1

Starting at 37 imby now

The shorts are iffy as it will be a few degrees cooler than last week and it will not warm as quickly in the morning as last time where we approached 70 by 1030. Likely not to hit 70 til maybe 1

Starting at 37 imby now
I'm taking a gamble. Shorts!

Just like last week, the weather was fantastic and the tailgates were the highlight of the day. Another terrible loss. Season is slipping away, which is just depressing, especially having seen USC's offense, which is better than UCLAs, which gashed our ole defense all day today - offense played well enough to win. Probably my last post for a few days.

I also see no point in starting a new thread on SoCal weather for the game at USC. It's LA in October, which means warm and dry with sunny skies and highs in the mid-70s for tailgates, cooling off into the 60s during the game (avg high is 77/58F on 10/26 in LA). Their climo means it would be a huge upset to see any rain, as they typically see only about 1/2" in October.

https://www.weather.gov/lox/

Shorts are to be worn whenever the temps are over 40
Shorts were perfect from 8:30 am onward - didn't even need the jacket - my ticket mates were all complaining that they should've worn shorts and t-shirts (I told them to, but they didn't listen, lol). What an absolutely gorgeous day. Top ten day for tailgate weather and anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT