ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappeared from the Jersey landscape ?

Circle's to navigate while driving. Haven't most of them been removed. Mercifully. I still remember the one on Route 1 in Elizabeth and the one on South Ave in I believe Westfield.
They are just dismantling the Flemington Circle. Should have been a requirement for your driving test ! Any circle.

Mothers on Rt 23 Wayne
Bullwinkles in Riverdale

The high dive at Terrace Lake (insurance reasons)
The "big" slide at Terrace Lake (insurance reasons)
Finally, Terrace Lake itself (condos)
I shot a lot of pool at Bullwinkles. I was wondering if someone would mention it

Don't think the one in Flemington is actually Stewards anymore. Just the same colors. The one in Branchbuug is now a park-n-ride.

Yeah that is called something else.

Also a Stewart's on Rte. 34 & 79 in Matawan/Old Bridge and one on Main St in Spotswood/East Brunswick.

Reactions: RUsince52
Yes, I just drove by it last week.
I remember my dad saying how he would own a Steward' s some day. Never happened, but I thought about all the free root beer I could have. Remember if you got one to go it was in a large waxed container, no cups.

Rte 23 being 2 lanes and having several traffic circles.

Small, local movie theaters instead of the huge 473 screen plexes now.

Not having to pay to go to a high school football game.
Suntan Lake. Some of the best concerts I ever went to were their Suntan Jams.
My first lifeguarding job in NJ.

The Seaside Heights boardwalk will never be the same. Part of my childhood washed away by Sandy.

I remember the old tIle floor in Menlo Park Mall when it was an L with an Alexander's on one end. We would try to avoid the white tiles, jumping to the brown and orange ones.

The Seaside Heights boardwalk will never be the same. Part of my childhood washed away by Sandy.

I remember the old tIle floor in Menlo Park Mall when it was an L with an Alexander's on one end. We would try to avoid the white tiles, jumping to the brown and orange ones.

Yup ........F Sandy.

there is a stewart's on route 27 in franklin park kinda/sorta near RU, actually. there's also one on route 33 in hamilton which i frequent fairly often. love me some stewart's.

There is one on 22 in Lebanon and one on 35 is Seaside Heights

Reactions: RUsince52
I remember my dad saying how he would own a Steward' s some day. Never happened, but I thought about all the free root beer I could have. Remember if you got one to go it was in a large waxed container, no cups.

Why do you call it Steward's?

- The water slide at Pt. Pleasant
- Rickels
- Caldor
- Pal's Cabin (never went there myself, but was a fixture in West Orange)
- Eagle Rock Diner
- The NJ Nets (didn't really follow them, but they're gone from NJ now)

Sounds like a fellow West Orange transplant in Somerset County (now Branchburg, previously Bridgewater)!!!

Ohrbach's, Meyer Brothers, Willowbrook covered parking lot, the chicken store in downtown Paterson, Johnny and Hanges on River Street in Paterson

150px-GroundRoundLogo.png
Giantsstadiumlogo.png
channel_lumber.png
Upsala_College_NJ_SEAL.jpg

Reactions: dvb91 and RUgrad75
The Showcase Lounge go go bar on Easton Ave. I saw many a visiting coach in there. Open for breakfast at times.

Hi Fi Haven was next door for a while.

Carols Burgers , then Greasey Tony's. Somoygis Bar ( the father of RU legends John & Kristen Somoygi owned it).

The Alexander's mural on Route 4.
The pig farms (and their smell) in the Meadowlands.

1. Garden State Plaza when it was an open air mall
  2. Old Mill swimming hole on Paramus Road
  3. Paramus Drive-in
Remember all those, also Arcola Pool just down the road on Passaic St, in Rochelle Park

Corner stores with rows of comic books, chocolate creme sodas
Chip and putts in Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook

Stewarts as of last year is on Broadway in Point Pleasant.

There also still a ton of traffic circles...34/524, 33/34, 35/524A (off the top of my head)

there are Stewarts Root Beers still in Jersey and the Somerville Circle still exists

I am missing my Mr Bee's though at the Somerville Circle

- Saturn of Livingston (Route 10 circle, used to work there)
- The old Essex Green Cinema in West Orange with (at one point) the largest screen in NJ (saw Return of the Jedi there, and also used to work there)
- The grease truck lot at Rutgers (and being open after 2am)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT