ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chris Ash's Vision??

WTH are you blabbing about?

You want Rutgers to hire a guy who will be here “long term”.

Who the F might that guy be?
This thread is about vision, which is a long-term thing. You believe Ash exudes it. Jsc has his doubts.

Reactions: jcs321
WTH are you blabbing about?

You want Rutgers to hire a guy who will be here “long term”.

Who the F might that guy be?

You want a name? Hire Mike Houston from JMU. Give that guy 7-8 years and Rutgers will have another Greg schiano.

I’m not asking for big ten championships or rose bowls or any of that. What I want is rutgers in bowl games year in and year out and to form an identity as a program and add more stability. The constant OC cycle has been exhausting, I hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong, I just believe chris ash is not the answer based on on the field results and recruiting

Coach Ash can make all the needed changes behind the scenes ( S&C, weight rooms, better dorms for players, nutrition, practice fields,..... ) but if we doesn't show progress in year 3 where it matters the most, WINS, he has to win a minimum of 6 games next year, go to a minor bowl, avoid the 50+ point blowouts. That's a reasonable expectation for him in year 3, anything less and Hobbs should be looking for a change next year, otherwise I think we are stuck with striving for mediocrity. Asking Ash to win 6 games next year should be the minimum requirement anything less is massive failure.

We will have who I think is probably one of our most qualified OC's in a long time with strong stable of young QB's and if one of the young QB's can emerge to be a leader and a decent QB, winning 6 games with the improving defense is something Ash can get done. Ash is who he is, he's not going to out recruit Meyer, Franklin, Harbaugh and it looks like he's not going to out recruit Durkin or even PJ Fleck, he doesn't have the personality like these other coaches, he is going to have to show major improvements in coaching ability and with wins. Since he doesn't have the personality of a great recruiter, it's a catch-22 for him, he's going to have to develop the players he has and coach them up and recruiting than picks up.
Anything less than 6 wins is a "massive failure". That is a ridiculous statement! Luckily Hobbs is not an irrational college student or a middle age wannabe football expert.

See:

You know @RUaMoose, you are being purposely obtuse because your necktie guy did not get the job. The last two RU head coaches talked about winning championships. The first of those guys had a chance, and may have succeeded if he did not leave RU in a lurch. The second of those guys, who I actually think was a better game day coach than the first guy, almost got us there with the first guy's players, but he eroded away the pillars of the program that got us to the point where we could have and should have won a BIG EAST championship. Ash has been fixing that structural damage to the program. Hell, he had to shore up the floors for the weight room--symbolic?

Here is what Ash said. If you guys (@rutgersal too) have a problem with what he said, you guys have the problem, not Coach Ash. His vision is refreshing. Standing up at the podium and talking about championships with what Flood and Julie and Barchi left behind would be the equivalent of a 450 pound guy bragging about how he has plans to bang the entire squad of Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders--it's laughable. You want to do great things? Put in the work to be the best that you can be. That's his message.

Give it a rest, gentlemen. You whining is growing old. It's year 2. Mistakes were made by a new coach. Mistakes have been corrected. Onward, upward. Don't look back.

I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM.

A PROGRAM THAT THE UNIVERSITY, THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, HIGH SCHOOL COACHES AND HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS CAN BE PROUD TO SAY ITS THEIRS AND THEY WANT TO COME HERE AND BE A PART OF IT.

WE DON'T NEED NEW JERSEY KIDS AND PLAYERS GOING TO OTHER PROGRAMS. WE NEED TO KEEP THEM HERE AT HOME AT RUTGERS AND BE THE BEST THAT WE CAN BE HERE.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN THIS FOOTBALL TEAM- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

I WANT OUR OPPONENTS TO TURN ON THE FILM AND SAY, "YOU KNOW WHAT, THIS IS A REAL ONE. WE BETTER STRAP IT ON BECAUSE THESE GUYS ARE GOING TO COME AND PLAY HARD.THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY TOGETHER AND PLAY FOR FOUR QUARTERS."

AND THAT'S THE TYPE OF PROGRAM I WANT TO BUILD HERE AT RUTGERS.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT--IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT WINS, IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT'S GOING TO INCLUDE AND TALK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT WE ARE GOING TO CREATE TO DEVELOP THESE PLAYERS, MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY TO REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. AND TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL.

AND IF WE CAN GET THAT DONE, THE WINS WILL COME

And, Oh:
pbox.php
You make a lot of sense. That has no place here.

Actually in the short term that is not the case. It took me a while to realize what I do now, but the fact is for the betterment of the AD, the behind the scenes stuff and major fundraising right now is 10x more important than 6 wins. Hobbs is playing chess not checkers with the department and has a long term strategic goal in mind. He cannot execute on this if we have another national embarrassment. He doesn't have time to babysit some hot head or cowboy who only cares about their own short sighted needs who could risk everything by doing something boneheaded.

Ash is not a world beater and I don't see him here in 5 years, but he's building a strong culture while improving the base talent level. I mean before he got here the friggin paint was pealing on the walls while our own players were telling recruits to not come here. Meanwhile our lazy AD office was littered with career government workers who didn't even bother to update the potential donor list of former letter winners in ten years. It was that bad.

Hobbs is trying to build an athletic department that would attract the types of athletes and coaches that are needed for long term success. In another 2 years, we will know if Ash has the chops, and if doesn't then we will be in a much better position to hire the type of coaching staff we all desire. Right now we are not there. Have another national scandal and we fall back another 5+ years.
And it's the first time Rutgers has had a long term strategic goal.

You want a name? Hire Mike Houston from JMU. Give that guy 7-8 years and Rutgers will have another Greg schiano.

I’m not asking for big ten championships or rose bowls or any of that. What I want is rutgers in bowl games year in and year out and to form an identity as a program and add more stability. The constant OC cycle has been exhausting, I hope I’m wrong and will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong, I just believe chris ash is not the answer based on on the field results and recruiting
That's hilarious! Ash has completed 2 seasons and you would like for him to be fired and be replaced by JMU's coach. To top it off you say in 7 or 8 years he will be another GS. Ash fire after 2 seasons, JMU's coach 7 or 8 years...thats seems fair

That's hilarious! Ash has completed 2 seasons and you would like for him to be fired and be replaced by JMU's coach. To top it off you say in 7 or 8 years he will be another GS. Ash fire after 2 seasons, JMU's coach 7 or 8 years...thats seems fair

If you knew a damn thing about fundamentals and creative playbooks and actually watched JMU since he got there you might actually know what you are talking about. The guy has won big time everywhere he’s gone. Runs an exciting offense with a stern defense and is 28-2 as a coach since he got there winning the FCS championship his first season and they lost in the championship game last season. He’s also from the east coast.

But if you are content in a coach that has allows multiple games a year to get out of hand, is a poor recruiter and you cannot possibly sit up there and say he’s a good game coach... get used to 6-7th place in the division annually.

Sorry not sorry that I’m not gonna put scarlet blinders on and only focus on the minimal positives he has done since arriving while completely ignoring the glaring weaknesses as him as a coach the way that some on this board want.

It oughtta tell you something when the ultimate, Uber homer of Rutgers football, Al who believes Rutgers is the USC of the east and for years has always been the eternal Rutgers optimist is raising red flags about the coach.

like I said, I’ll gladly eat crow next year if I’m wrong, however if it’s more of the same I bet the ash apologists will go in to hiding and get very quiet

Reactions: madchuck
If you knew a damn thing about fundamentals and creative playbooks and actually watched JMU since he got there you might actually know what you are talking about. The guy has won big time everywhere he’s gone. Runs an exciting offense with a stern defense and is 28-2 as a coach since he got there winning the FCS championship his first season and they lost in the championship game last season. He’s also from the east coast.

But if you are content in a coach that has allows multiple games a year to get out of hand, is a poor recruiter and you cannot possibly sit up there and say he’s a good game coach... get used to 6-7th place in the division annually.

Sorry not sorry that I’m not gonna put scarlet blinders on and only focus on the minimal positives he has done since arriving while completely ignoring the glaring weaknesses as him as a coach the way that some on this board want.

It oughtta tell you something when the ultimate, Uber homer of Rutgers football, Al who believes Rutgers is the USC of the east and for years has always been the eternal Rutgers optimist is raising red flags about the coach.

like I said, I’ll gladly eat crow next year if I’m wrong, however if it’s more of the same I bet the ash apologists will go in to hiding and get very quiet
JMU is like Pop Warner level.
Drew was "successful" there as OC. How did it go for him as a B1G OC?

I do think Hatinthering made one good point- Ash needs to sell vision better. Needing to ‘sell it better’ though does NOT equate to ‘not having it’.

Joe P.
His priority is to sell it to recruits and their parents not to fans on a message board. We the fans really don’t know if recruits who we targeted didn’t commit because CA didn’t -as some say - sell the vision or because of other reasons. A recruit could very well believe in CA and his vision but has a dream school or just wants to get away and we all know when that happens no vision can keep them home or to commit to RU if from out of state

Anything less than 6 wins is a "massive failure". That is a ridiculous statement! Luckily Hobbs is not an irrational college student or a middle age wannabe football expert.

Do you think in year 3 if he goes 4-8 with 3 or more blowouts and having the 12th or 13th ranked recruiting class in the BIG or class ranked in the 50 overall acceptable? Does that give you confidence that he can get it done here? He has Texas St., Kansas and Buffalo which should be 3 wins, asking to go 3 - 6 with the remaining 9 games and avoiding the 50+ losses is a reasonable expectation on year 3? Whatever job your in, are they going to tolerate 3 years of mediocrity? Suppose your in sales and your 1st year you finished 20% of your quota, 2nd year you finished 40% of your number and 3rd year you were around 40% of your number again, and you didn't have a pipeline built, do you think you will still have a job? I think they would have fired you after year 1 with achieving 20% of your number, that's the real world. Here you get to make millions of dollars with perks and you don't think in year 3 there should be reasonable expectations for results?

vision is winning football games? lol....is that what Ash has been doing, how he's been coaching? No one, NO ONE watching will say he's coached to win.

guy is gone in a few years so start thinking about who is next
Been biting my tongue on reading some of your recent posts. This one is right there with being one of the dumbest. Posters like you show your ignorance of the game by saying he is not coaching to win.EVERY coach coaches to win. The entire staff helps put together a game plan that will #1 give the team their best chance to win. That game plan can and probably Includes who are we playing, what do they do best and how do we counter that, what can we do best against them etc. The negatoids say he coaches not to lose. I say he coaches to limit superior teams opportunities to score. The less an opponent scores the better our chances of winning are

The point is I don’t think it’s a good move for a big ten program to be hiring a guy who would jump ship in a heartbeat the minute a ‘better’ offer came in. People on this board constantly talk about taking the Iowa model of building talent, well in order to do that you need a coach that isn’t ever going to leave like Iowa has with Kirk Ferentz. Same thing with Michigan state which most people forget up until about 6-7 years ago was nothing more than an average big ten program. Get a stable coach in there who talks about wanting to stay there and be there long term and see the results... I have never heard anything from chris ash that would indicate he wants to be at Rutgers for a long time... recruits notice this
Have you ever heard anything that he does not want to be here long term. Didn’t think so and oh yeah recruits notice this too

Reactions: Knight Shift
Here's the bottom line ASH needs to bring in better recruits starting this year and he needs to make a bowl game by year 4. He may have fixed or is fixing everything Flood screwed up and is creating a great culture, but if he doesn't get recruiting rolling and starts winning, most people won't care about all the behind the scenes stuff.

Reactions: jcs321
In my opinion, that would be a good problem to have. That means Coach Ash has brought the program to a respectable level and with full share of BIG, replacing him would not be ideal but not as bad.
Let's not get ahead of our selves; that might be a vision.

Like I said before, I actually wanted Schiano back as my first preference and the guy was a master with marketing the program overall, but I guess people forgot how badly we got mocked for “It’s Time” 2001-2002 as we were losing 80-7, 60something- 0, 42-0, 34-11 to a garbage Buffalo team, etc. If people want to criticize Ash there’s legit things to discuss; you don’t need to make up bull**** fairy tales like some people are doing on this board.

Joe P.

I can't believe this thread has gone on for four pages... The Woody Allen of fanbases strikes again.

Reactions: RU62
JMU is like Pop Warner level.
Drew was "successful" there as OC. How did it go for him as a B1G OC?

OC is much different than HC. Drew was also a child and Houston is 46. Houston has won everywhere he’s gone. He’s taken teams like citadel who typically win 3-4 games a year to championships. JMU hadn’t been dominant and Houston gets there and they are the best, most well coached kids on the field, every time they step in he field. I do not believe in hiring a coordinator with no HC experience who wasn’t groomed as a HC in waiting (ala dabo and Jimbo) is the answer for a Big 10 program. The jump from Coordinator to HC is huge and Ash has not shown anything that leads me to believe we will be able to be competitive vs the elite of the conference. I’m not asking for us to even necessarily win those games, just be more competitive than we have been.

Lol @ if i knew a damn thing about football fundamentals and a creative playbook. This is the problem with many RU so called supporters...they swear they know more than the next person and the coaches as well. Now JMU"s coach is the savior for RU football lol. Success at JMU automatically means success in the B1G? I guess OSU is waiting for Urban to retire so they can swoop in and hire this guy lol. Btw Im not advocating for Ash...its just ridiculous to conclude after 2 seasons he should be replaced, especially if the replacement is a coming from JMU (how did that hotshot JMU OC work out?). Love these armchair Coaches/AD's that think they have all the answers and everyone else knows nothing lol

Do you think in year 3 if he goes 4-8 with 3 or more blowouts and having the 12th or 13th ranked recruiting class in the BIG or class ranked in the 50 overall acceptable? Does that give you confidence that he can get it done here? He has Texas St., Kansas and Buffalo which should be 3 wins, asking to go 3 - 6 with the remaining 9 games and avoiding the 50+ losses is a reasonable expectation on year 3? Whatever job your in, are they going to tolerate 3 years of mediocrity? Suppose your in sales and your 1st year you finished 20% of your quota, 2nd year you finished 40% of your number and 3rd year you were around 40% of your number again, and you didn't have a pipeline built, do you think you will still have a job? I think they would have fired you after year 1 with achieving 20% of your number, that's the real world. Here you get to make millions of dollars with perks and you don't think in year 3 there should be reasonable expectations for results?
What an amazngly over simplistic analogy (B1G football coach vs Salesperson). Responsible for an entire football program as opposed to responsible for your individual performance. In addition, in your mind winning 4 games is akin to acheiving 40% of his quota which would mean the quota was to win 10 games. Whose expectation was that? Certainly not any rational, realistic person and definitely not Hobbs. No wonder so many RU fans are ready to jump off a cliff...the expectations are based on pure fantasy and crazy logic

Reactions: RUonBrain
What an amazngly over simplistic analogy (B1G football coach vs Salesperson). Responsible for an entire football program as opposed to responsible for your individual performance. In addition, in your mind winning 4 games is akin to acheiving 40% of his quota which would mean the quota was to win 10 games. Whose expectation was that? Certainly not any rational, realistic person and definitely not Hobbs. No wonder so many RU fans are ready to jump off a cliff...the expectations are based on pure fantasy and crazy logic

It’s not a good analogy . But there is nothing with having expectations and being concerned about ash .

Like I said before, I actually wanted Schiano back as my first preference and the guy was a master with marketing the program overall, but I guess people forgot how badly we got mocked for “It’s Time” 2001-2002 as we were losing 80-7, 60something- 0, 42-0, 34-11 to a garbage Buffalo team, etc. If people want to criticize Ash there’s legit things to discuss; you don’t need to make up bull**** fairy tales like some people are doing on this board.

Joe P.
GS is never coming back...please move on with your life like he has.

It’s not a good analogy . But there is nothing with having expectations and being concerned about ash .
Sure, realistic expectations and concerns. Anyone that has already concluded that he should be replaced after 2 seasons (by JMU's coach?) is not being realistic or logical.

...think you totally misread this entire situation and my stance on it.
I actually agree with the stance you communicated regarding some coming up with BS reasons to criticize CA despite the genuine reasons for concern, namely recruiting. i do think that this unhealthy obsession many have with GS makes it difficult for CA or any coach for that matter to be given the patients and fair evaluation he deserves.

Joe P.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Jcs321 maybe you would be better off and less stressed bu spending your fall Saturdays in Virginia at JMU watching them play. Tickets and parking are much cheaper and you'll be a lot happier. Give it a rest.

Regarding a vision as the original topic, I'll jpin in with the many who may have a vision of less crazy off the wall Rutgers Al posts and some appreciation of the improvements and progress being made under Hobbs etc. Again people have conveniently dismissed the first few years of Greg's tenure. Give Ash and staff the same respect and leeway.

...think you totally misread this entire situation and my stance on it.

Joe P.
i understand your stance regarding some creating BS reasons to criticize CA despite the genuine reasons for concern, namely recruiting. However, until RU supporters get over the unhealthy love affair with GS and stop bringing him into every convo, CA or no other RU coach will given the patients and realistic expectations they deserve

Reactions: JoeRU0304
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT