ADVERTISEMENT

What more does the administration need to see?

Originally posted by srru86:

The days of a young Rick Ritino taking Providence to the Final Four while practicing in a high school gym are over. It's not going happen.
Irrelevant.

We don't need to worry about someone taking us to the final four. We need someone to build the program with the kids that are willing to come here, coach them up and keep them here for 4 years. Get competitive in the Big 10, then worry about the final four.

Come on, the lack of practice facility argument is just an excuse.

I don't know if EJ has what it takes - so far I don't like what I see - but realistically, unless he decides to step down, he's going to be here for at least another year. Next year will be rough but if there is progress, at this point...that's about all we can hope for.

It's not that the fans don't want investment in new facilities it's that the argument that it is needed is specious at best. Like I said earlier, losing team, question mark at coach = more money? In what universe?. The coach needs to sell the team that it is by building a winning program we can be the reason why facilities are improved much like Schiano did with the football team - I know, apples to oranges and you are going to say schiano was "promised" things, but that isn't provable and they wouldn't have happened had schiano not navigated the team to a bowl game in 2005. He was pretty close to being fired in fact. I know the revenues aren't the same in bball as it is in football, but the idea is the same.

no one gets new practice facilities and new athletic centers for 24 years of losing. you need to spark an interest first. CVS gets top basketball recruits to the same facilities Eddie is working with.

Originally posted by RUCONN:

I really don't think a top flight recruit is saying "man, id go to Rutgers if only they had a practice facility". The updating the RAC and building a practice facility is the same nonsense that politicians use saying we need to "throw money" at all the problems. it's the coach. plain and simple. could eddie be the answer? Maybe. But right now he isnt
That's exactly what they are saying. Further, you aren't even getting to that point when you consider our recruiting budget, lack of support employeers, lack of travel budget, and even further support positions.

Pick a p5 school and look at what they have access to, then compare. It isn't hard to figure out.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

I really don't think a top flight recruit is saying "man, id go to Rutgers if only they had a practice facility". The updating the RAC and building a practice facility is the same nonsense that politicians use saying we need to "throw money" at all the problems. it's the coach. plain and simple. could eddie be the answer? Maybe. But right now he isnt
That's exactly what they are saying. Further, you aren't even getting to that point when you consider our recruiting budget, lack of support employeers, lack of travel budget, and even further support positions.

Pick a p5 school and look at what they have access to, then compare. It isn't hard to figure out.
I doubt it. They aren't considering Rutgers because we don't win and don't have a big name coach. 5 star recruits want to know "how are you going to get me to the NBA"? We aren't missing out on these guys because we don't have a practice facility we are missing out on these guys because our results suck and they have sucked for 24 years save for a couple of NIT runs that don't mean a thing.

You don't get the practice facilities and/or new arenas without results. We need a good coach who can find recruits in that mid 3-star to low end 4-star range that can play team ball and win half its conference games. that's it. not looking for final fours and top 2-3 seeds, just making the tournament. to get those guys, you don't need a freaking practice facility. you need to sell them on the Big Ten and RU's academics.

RUCONN you're not accounting for 25+ years of starvation for RU MBB. It's time to feed it, and we need a super dose of steroids just to get it standing on its own 2 feet.

Originally posted by BIGRUBIGDBIGredmachine:
RUCONN you're not accounting for 25+ years of starvation for RU MBB. It's time to feed it, and we need a super dose of steroids just to get it standing on its own 2 feet.
Im not disagreeing. but where is this money coming from? It needs a grassroots beginning which is why I completely understood the thought process behind hiring Eddie Jordan.

To answer the question posed by the OP. Just look at every study that shows winning increases alumni giving. Are they blind to this?

Originally posted by bac2therac:

well I think that's what the last 3 coaches have tried to do with no avail.
We have to stop chasing Isiah Briscoes. We continue to recruit instead of evaluate.

I just wish it was so plain and simple as you suggest. Its not about a recruit choosing us because we have a practice facility, its about showing the BIG, the fans, and recruits Rutgers is willing to invest in the program. Maybe another coach would be doing better, maybe not, we don't know, but we know that RU is not willing to invest in the Men's BB program, and until they do, why should recruits?

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

We have to stop chasing Isiah Briscoes. We continue to recruit instead of evaluate.
We're still recruiting TJ Gibbs, Mosely, Salnave and Devonte Green (who was at the game last night). I applaud the effort and but we missed out on all of the locals last year and that was before a 10-win season featuring 30-point losses.

I'd rather target realistic options.

It's hard to "give up" on those guys because they are great players.

But it's a losing strategy to convince elite local players to commit without any tangible improvements.

This post was edited on 2/23 3:10 PM by Aggs

Originally posted by JPhoboken:

I just wish it was so plain and simple as you suggest. Its not about a recruit choosing us because we have a practice facility, its about showing the BIG, the fans, and recruits Rutgers is willing to invest in the program. Maybe another coach would be doing better, maybe not, we don't know, but we know that RU is not willing to invest in the Men's BB program, and until they do, why should recruits?
The only thing "plain and simple" is that you need the right coach. finding the right coach is obviously hard. I just don't buy into (pun intended) you need to build facilities and then you win.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

I agree with this. I've said the coach (either current or future) here that is successful is going to do it with a bunch of no name players who aren't highly ranked or sought after. It can be to whatever style the coach may employ but they're going to be sound fundamentally, play with heart and together as a team and most likely stick around for 4 years. Whether it's a bunch of guys that can fit in that VCU havoc style of play or Wisconsin's slow plodding style or just a bunch of really good sharp shooters with a heavy reliance on the 3, etc...If we're going to have any success it's going to be something along those lines, it won't be because we recruited a few really top players to come here.

Only the superstar coach is going to attract star players here and that's not happening.

This post was edited on 2/23 1:26 PM by rutgersguy1

I doubt it. They aren't considering Rutgers because we don't win and don't have a big name coach. 5 star recruits want to know "how are you going to get me to the NBA"? We aren't missing out on these guys because we don't have a practice facility we are missing out on these guys because our results suck and they have sucked for 24 years save for a couple of NIT runs that don't mean a thing.

You don't get the practice facilities and/or new arenas without results. We need a good coach who can find recruits in that mid 3-star to low end 4-star range that can play team ball and win half its conference games. that's it. not looking for final fours and top 2-3 seeds, just making the tournament. to get those guys, you don't need a freaking practice facility. you need to sell them on the Big Ten and RU's academics.
We have always thought it was "just get the coach". That has proven wrong. What you are suggesting isn't happening. It isn't because of the coach. There are serious root problems that aren't being addressed. Whether you like it or not, kids look at facilities. They look at how you travel. They see the difference in recruiting budgets and support staff when evaluating programs.

Sorry, but that is how it, wishful thinking otherwise or not.

The only thing "plain and simple" is that you need the right coach. finding the right coach is obviously hard. I just don't buy into (pun intended) you need to build facilities and then you win.
Let me guess. You have never coached. If you keep going into gun fights with a team using bows and arrows, no matter how clever your strategies, no matter how well you teach your guys how to shoot, no matter how disciplined they are, things are probably not going to turn out well in the end.

We have always thought it was "just get the coach". That has proven wrong. What you are suggesting isn't happening. It isn't because of the coach. There are serious root problems that aren't being addressed. Whether you like it or not, kids look at facilities. They look at how you travel. They see the difference in recruiting budgets and support staff when evaluating programs.

Sorry, but that is how it, wishful thinking otherwise or not.
How as this been proven wrong? we have hired terrible coaches since bannon. waters couldn't recruit. fred hill jr was a head case. mike rice was not given a chance because of a ridiculous "scandal" and eddie is in his second year.

Originally posted by ag67:

Let me guess. You have never coached. If you keep going into gun fights with a team using bows and arrows, no matter how clever your strategies, no matter how well you teach your guys how to shoot, no matter how disciplined they are, things are probably not going to turn out well in the end.
I have coached . several sports at several levels. how o earth did u come to the conclusion that I haven't based on what I said? 1+1 = 9 to you?

I'm not questioning that RU can't win with the right coach. They can. It's just that they right coach doesn't want to come here with the lack of commitment to facilities. I've seen the NJ.com article saying that hiring a Hurley might be the answer, and I've seen Howland's name mentioned on here numerous times, among others. But they don't want to come here. With a commitment to a practice facility, they might. And that will lead to more talented recruits. I'm not saying we'll get the Briscoes of the area, but we'll be able to get good enough guys to be competitive. They'll at least be better than what we have now.

And I understand that when a school wins, alumni increase their giving. But the opposite is what's needed to succeed. The rest of the B1G alumni have poured their money back into their school's athletic programs. They get it. If they're teams are going to get better, they realize they need to invest it their school when they're needed most. The old "we'll invest when you show us something" doesn't work in college sports. We're just going to be stuck in the same position for a long time until a wealthy donor steps up. For that to happen, Julie needs to be working the phones. Because we all know the state and Barchi aren't going to budge. We need a Greg Brown for the football program. Actually three of them.

It's not all money. Pernetti and Mulcahy were terrible AD's and hired bad coaches. Then the new lady hired another bad coach. Money does not fix stupid.

Originally posted by RC85:
They need to see someone in Trenton giving the thumbs-up to invest in MBB.
Why would RU need to see "someone" in Trenton?

No one in Trenton is stopping any of RU's 460,000 alumni (plus thousands of supporters/sponsors that have no direct ties to the Univ) in donating $$$ to Men's (and Women's) Basketball.

Scores and scores and scores of other programs (many much smaller, in tiny conf that get basically zero TV $$$) have been able to secure $$$ from their alumni/supporters for new hoop facilities...but for some strange reason, RU's current leadership doesn't want to go that route, i.e. because it takes hard work.

Maybe next time, RU will hire an AD who was successful raising major $$$ at a smaller school which much smaller alumni base...vs taking a non-AD from a hoop program where $$$$ hasn't been a problem for decades.

no one gets new practice facilities and new athletic centers for 24 years of losing. you need to spark an interest first. CVS gets top basketball recruits to the same facilities Eddie is working with.
Sure about that?

East Carolina, who has made it to the NCAA's just twice in their 85 plus year history (last time was in 1993 because they won their conf tourn), as noted in other threads, is just opened a 49,000 sq ft $19 Million Basketball practice facility...100% funded by PRIVATE GIFTS/DONATIONS.

090813ecuhoops7.jpg

Those from places like ECU, which don't have a silver spoon (i.e. virtually zero TV $$$ over the past 20 years, no post-season success), are the ones RU needs to hire...because those people got it done.

Imagine what those same people might be able to do if they were able to tapped in to an alumni base of 400,000 plus, most located in the #1 metro area in the USA?

You don't get the practice facilities and/or new arenas without results.
Why are lies like this continually written?

Anyone with google can see how dozens of "non-successful" programs have been able to at least build new practice facilities and sometimes, even arenas too.

Missouri State hasn't made it to the NCAA's since 1999...yet they were able to build a beautiful new 11,000 seat Arena:
9-17%20jqh.jpg

c05msu_jqh.jpg

UCF, which has never received an at-large NCAA bid (all 4 appearances were for conf tourn wins in the lowly ASUN), built both a basketball practice facility AND a new 10,000 seat arena (along with their first ever on-campus football stadium too), all without barely a dime from TV $$$.

DSC_0947EDIT-548x396.jpg

a49d2f10e0a2fdb4974aeb59cc28f75464d7f52e.jpg-590x1000.png

New facilities do not guarantee you that you will win....just like hiring a specific coach doesn't guarantee you that you will win...but having new facilities (at least comparable to your conf foes) does is get you in the recruiting game...for both recruits and future coaches...which will hopefully help you win more games in the future.

If those you are recruiting against most/all have much better dedicated facilities than you..that is a tough hill to climb, especially for a program that has struggled for 2 plus decades.

The old saying "You have to be in it to win it" rings true...as you have to be able to compete on and OFF the court...and right now, RU gets destroyed off the court year round (let alone challenges to on-the-court results too).

Great job by KnightLight to blow out of the water some of the opinions being spouted as facts by people here too lazy to just look around at the environment we are competing in. Good thing you posted the pics and not just a link because I don't think these folks would click through a link that might force them to re-examine their prejudices and ignorance.

Originally posted by srru86:
Great job by KnightLight to blow out of the water some of the opinions being spouted as facts by people here too lazy to just look around at the environment we are competing in. Good thing you posted the pics and not just a link because I don't think these folks would click through a link that might force them to re-examine their prejudices and ignorance.
No problem...as fans (and obviously coaching staffs) have talked a lot about their team's improved basketball practice facility, so its pretty easy to found out about the new ones...let alone google to find out those that have been built over the past 5-10 years.

Heck, just look across the river at Temple, who recently added a huge addition to their Univ facilities (Expanded new Rec Center and Brand new Basketball Practice Facility built on the top 2 floors with courts, meeting rooms, offices, lockerroom, etc..), something that has already paid off for Temple on the recruiting trail (helped secure some top transfers from Big 12 and SEC), let alone some solid HS recruiting too.

312yek8.jpg

2r3jbpk.jpg

I do think for some, its just that they "don't know what they don't know", (i.e. are clueless to what 100 plus other hoop programs have done over past 5-10 years), while a few KNOW, they pretend to just ignore it and hope that this huge disadvantage just goes away.

The other extreme (i.e. program from a BCS/P5 Conf but never did anything in Hoops) is Nebraska...a program that didn't make it to the NCAA Tourn for 16 years...till AFTER their program received HUGE Facilities upgrades (i.e. amazing top of the line practice facility, plus, a modern 16,000 seat arena, Pinnacle Bank Arena funded by city/county bonds...plus secured $11.5 Million in naming rights).

Great video of Nebraska's new basketball practice facility:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2r3jbpk.jpg

Pinnacle Bank Arena in downtown Lincoln:
Pinnacle_Bank_Arena_Rendering_Southeast_View_%C2%A9DLR_Group.jpg

1812_Pinnacle_Bank_Arena_Interior

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

You don't get the practice facilities and/or new arenas without results.
Why are lies like this continually written?

Anyone with google can see how dozens of "non-successful" programs have been able to at least build new practice facilities and sometimes, even arenas too.

Missouri State hasn't made it to the NCAA's since 1999...yet they were able to build a beautiful new 11,000 seat Arena:
ec

ec

UCF, which has never received an at-large NCAA bid (all 4 appearances were for conf tourn wins in the lowly ASUN), built both a basketball practice facility AND a new 10,000 seat arena (along with their first ever on-campus football stadium too), all without barely a dime from TV $$$.

ec

ec
you cite two examples out of 360+ schools. one of which made the NCAAs 4 times.

I (and others) in multiple threads have noted plenty of other non BCS/P5 programs that have build new hoop facilities and some that even built new arenas.

Heck, one of RU's former Big East foes that got left behind after just a cup of coffee in the Big East, USF, recently built a new massive 51,000 sq ft hoop practice facility in 2008 (Alum donated $3 Million for naming rights)...plus completed a new $35 Million arena renovation.

usf-sundomemumabasketballimg1954*1200xx1000-563-0-52.jpg

Basketball Practice Facility included:

FACILITY INFORMATION

Two-story, 51,000 sq. foot facility
Split floor plan that provides both men's and women's programs their own practice court, locker room, offices, film room and lounge, while offering shared training room and strength and conditioning facilities
2,000 sq. foot, two-story lobby
A card-access entry system with security cameras
Practice courts
o One full-length court
o Two half-court set ups along the baseline
o Each practice area houses eight hoops
o Direct access from locker rooms or inner hallway
o Overlooked by coaches' offices balcony
Locker rooms
o Individual lockers placed in circular formation
o Restroom facilities including five individual shower stalls
Head coach office
o Overlooks practice court and lobby
o Contains restroom and shower facility
Conference rooms overlooking practice court
Film room
o Four-row tiered theatre style film room
Player lounges
o Gaming area
o Kitchen/snack area
o Theatre-style reclining area
Training room
o Hydroworx hydrotherapy/plunge pools
o Exam room
o Two athletic trainer offices
o Three taping tables / four treatment tables
o Open floor plan allowing for rehabilitation activities
Strength & Conditioning facility
o One office
o Storage area
Equipment room with laundry facilities
o Pass through lockers for players
o Two washers / two dryers
o Four high density storage units
Additional amenities include offices for administrative assistants, basketball operations, video production and student assistant staff as well as a shared administrative workroom and break area
4,100 sq. foot multi-purpose area on the second level
Underground tunnel provides direct access to Sun Dome

Old USF Sun Dome that opened in 1980:

sundomeempty.jpg

New Sun Dome 2013:
Sundome_20120330084506_640_480.JPG

grand-return.jpg

I (and others) in multiple threads have noted plenty of other non BCS/P5 programs that have build new hoop facilities and some that even built new arenas.

Heck, one of RU's former Big East foes that got left behind after just a cup of coffee in the Big East, USF, recently built a new massive 51,000 sq ft hoop practice facility in 2008 (Alum donated $3 Million for naming rights)...plus completed a new $35 Million arena renovation.

ec

FACILITY INFORMATION

Split floor plan that provides both men's and women's programs their own practice court, locker room, offices, film room and lounge, while offering shared training room and strength and conditioning facilities

Practice courts

o One full-length court

Locker rooms

Head coach office

Film room

Player lounges

o Gaming area

o Kitchen/snack area

Training room

o Exam room

o One office

o Storage area

Additional amenities include offices for administrative assistants, basketball operations, video production and student assistant staff as well as a shared administrative workroom and break area

ec

New Sun Dome 2013:
ec

ec
ec

and you realize how far along basketball-wise, moneywise and support wise those schools are and were than RU? That's what I love everyone whining for facilities etc but no one knows or will explain where the money will come from? Facilities are nice but the argument that we cant win without them is ridiculous. again, no one is talking about conference titles, we are talking about simply being not an embarrassment and remotely competitive and making an NCAA tournament once in our lives.

In fact, the UCF example supports MY CASE. they are horrible. 12-14 and 5-10 in league in a terrible league btw

and you realize how far along basketball-wise, moneywise and support wise those schools are and were than RU? That's what I love everyone whining for facilities etc but no one knows or will explain where the money will come from? Facilities are nice but the argument that we cant win without them is ridiculous. again, no one is talking about conference titles, we are talking about simply being not an embarrassment and remotely competitive and making an NCAA tournament once in our lives.

In fact, the UCF example supports MY CASE. they are horrible. 12-14 and 5-10 in league in a terrible league btw
Another misleading strawman. No one is saying building something nice guarantees a winning program. Short of just buying off street agents it takes a bunch of stuff to build a champion team. Visionary leadership, good coaching, a compelling message for talented young men, etc., and yes, decent surroundings. If we forgo any of them we decrease the chances of success. Why should we compete with one arm tied behind our back? No one is saying there is a magic pot of money to do it, but in many ways, as hard as it might be, finding that money might be one of the simpler ways to move the program forward.

ec

FACILITY INFORMATION

Practice courts

o One full-length court

Locker rooms

Head coach office

Film room

Player lounges

o Gaming area

o Kitchen/snack area

Training room

o Exam room

o One office

o Storage area

ec

New Sun Dome 2013:
ec

ec
ec

EVERY school has them yet you still do not think it matters...it does not guarantee winning. It means at least you are not TOTALLY DISMISSED by recruits from the start like RU has been the last 15 years. Recruits and coaches feel that RU could care less about basketball and their evidence is lack of investment in the program. That's been said by many connected posters on this board. Believe it.

EVERY school has them yet you still do not think it matters...it does not guarantee winning. It means at least you are not TOTALLY DISMISSED by recruits from the start like RU has been the last 15 years. Recruits and coaches feel that RU could care less about basketball and their evidence is lack of investment in the program. That's been said by many connected posters on this board. Believe it.
100% correct.

Originally posted by APKnight:
I don't get the practice facility urgency. Can someone elaborate? What's wrong with practicing at the RAC or the Barn?
Let's say you are going on an interview at a Fortune 500 company. You don't own a nice suit but happen to have a pair of dockers and a t-shirt with no major holes in it and it passes the sniff test. That should be good enough because, well, it's clothes just like a nice suit is nothing but clothing.

Just like you won't get the job, because you are competing with others that made a nominal investment to put in a good impression, Rutgers will never be able to compete for top players (without cheating). Rutgers currently can compete against most of the mid majors for recruits because we have similar facilities but is more attractive due to the Big Ten Network and educational opportunities. Rutgers can't compete with major programs that offer similar TV and educational opportunities because everything else they offer, basketball-wise, is in a totally different universe than what Rutgers offers.

Every year we see mid majors making an upset here and there against a major program but they can never compete day in and day out. Even in the NCAA Tournament you may see them get to the Sweet 16 now and again if everything bounces their way but then get exposed against better athletes and coaches. If Rutgers continues down the same path, you will continue to see 10-15 win seasons with perhaps an upset or two over a good program. This year it was against Wisconsin, who was without their best player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT