ADVERTISEMENT

What was the first Rutgers game you attended

Alabama at the Meadowlands.
Same for me. RU-Bama was my first Rutgers game. My dad took me. When I try to blame him for a lifetime of misery and disappointment as an RU fan, he reminds me he took me to see Bear Bryant and its not his fault I rooted for the wrong team. To this day he still busts my chops about becoming an RU fan.

Reactions: leonh71
The U at RU 55 to something. 2000

Shea's last game. Brought seasons after that.

The first game that I have specific and vivid memories of was the ‘69 Centennial win over Princeton. I remember being at earlier games in the ‘60s against Lehigh, Boston University, Lafayette, Princeton, and Army but don’t recall the dates or scores, only playing them.

I can remember it was vs Princeton but I can't recall the year, maybe 1952, when my Dad was OL Coach. My Godfather's Son was the Capt and center for the Princeton team.

The first game in my memory bank was the Army Navy Game in Philly probably around 1950 when my Dad was the AD and HC at Valley Forge Military Academy and we were guests of Army. IIRC I was 3 or 4 at the time. I can only remember uniforms of the Cadets and that as usual for that game, it was cold and gray. So you can see even back then Dad was prepping me for West Point or Princeton...

30 +/- Years later, John is at USNA for swearing in day. You swear in as a class and then notables can swear you in again in Bancroft Hall. Dad's team Captain of that Valley Forge team had gone to NAVY and become a Submarine Captain. He came to Annapolis to swear John in ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT