ADVERTISEMENT

What we're up against (recruiting vs blue bloods)

Mbash93

Senior
Jan 23, 2012
Monroe Township, NJ
So a buddy of mine was telling me that a guy who was one of the refs of his men's league game was talking with him and told him his brother plays for Roselle Catholic, he then said yea he is going to duke next year.

His Brother is McKenzie Mgbacko (however it is spelled).

He told my buddy that when his brother went down to duke they wanted him to commit right away and secure him before he went home. Naturally the kid said give me a few days to think about things and process it before just deciding after a visit.

The next day he said Mckenzie got a call from a Nike Exec asking about the visit, how it went and all that.

So not only are we recruiting against some of the best schools and programs but we gotta beat out the shoe company's as well.

Last edited:
I don't buy Nike. I've gotten a few pair years ago, and they always seemed to fall apart faster than other brands. So I'm not contributing to the competition.

(I don't buy Adidas, either.)

So a buddy of mine was telling me that a guy who was one of the refs of his men's league game was talking with him and told him his brother plays for Roselle Catholic, he then said yea he is going to duke next year.

His Brother is McKenzie Mgbacko (however it is spelled).

He told my buddy that when his brother went down to duke they wanted him to commit right away and secure him before he went home. Naturally the kid said give me a few days to think about things and process it before just deciding after a visit.

The next day he said Mckenzie got a call from a Nike Exec asking about the visit, how it went and all that.

So not only are we recruiting against some of the best schools and programs but we gotta beat out the shoe company's as well.
You are just realizing that there is shoe company influence in basketball recruiting?

You know how when a professional player sometimes gets a huge contract and then stops preforming at the level he did prior to that contract. I think we are going to see a similar trajectory for a lot of these kids who do not have the goods to make it to the next level.
That's a great point I haven't seen before.

You are just realizing that there is shoe company influence in basketball recruiting?
There's a great book about shoe company influence and other recruiting shenanigans. It's called "Raw Recruits" by Alexander Wolff and Armen Keyteian and was published THIRTY years ago.

Pike doesn't waste his time with guys he doesn't think he has a chance to get it. It's probably pretty easy to recognize early who are the guys that will be the ones where money is going to be a major factor. He focuses his energies elsewhere which is how he has pulled guys out of nowhere to put together 3 straight NCAA Tournament caliber teams and hopefully a 4th this year.

No I knew that, but It's the first time I heard first hand a shoe exec calling a recruit after a visit
Well, when the NCAA isn't going to punish any schools for this type of activity, or rule a kid ineligible, why shouldn't a shoe company exec call a recruit after a visit.

I am normally on the bus that says we are doomed because of this and NIL.

After GG signed yesterday I got off the bus and rented a bike.
And, we must chain that bike as best we can, to stop the thieves bearing large NIL
inducements

I am normally on the bus that says we are doomed because of this and NIL.

After GG signed yesterday I got off the bus and rented a bike.
We’re going to be fine. Paying off incoming frosh based on potential is going to backfire more often than it’s going to succeed.

I think we will come up with the money to keep our proven veteran stars in the program and if we develop that reputation this alone can become a recruiting strategy.

I know you hate NIL, but you really have to think about it’s applicability to us differently from this crap. A die hard RU kid like Caleb who gave 4 years to RU and is now good enough to make real money in Europe - now he can come back to RU and not lose out on that money because our fans are willing to pay to have him back. He built that brand and relationship with fans over a sustained period. Hopefully this is what NIL becomes for 98% of D1 and then you have a few foolish programs like A&M and Miami shelling out big cash to 10-12 players every year for a sport where only 5 guys play at a time.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I hope you are right. So far your path looks more like what NIL is right now than my expected path.

we are still in the 2nd inning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT