ADVERTISEMENT

Which Big Ten Expansion Scenario Do You Prefer?

Which Big Ten Expansion Scenario Do You Prefer?

• Washington & Oregon

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • Washington, Oregon, Cal & Stanford

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • FSU & Clemson

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • FSU, Clemson, UVA and UNC

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Washington, Oregon, FSU & Clemson

Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Nothing unless ND is included

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters
What did I miss? They join the suit?

UNC is my #1 wish list addition.
"And I think that now is the time to be very open to pursuing all options, including those beyond remaining in the Atlantic Coast Conference." BOT

FSU/UNC

UNC will choose money, prestige, and academics vs localism. Besides, UNC isn't really 'southern' any longer

Reactions: knightfan7
Hoping it is FSU and ND and stop at 20.

But i suspect it will be 22 ..... off chance at 24.

FSU, ND, UNC,

4th Miami or get another West School (AZ Colorado or Utah) to cement a friday night west coast game or a weekly Saturday 10/1030 game.

Reactions: wheezer
Don’t need to, but if it is to be done
FSU and ND
And stop there

I personally don't really care that much who joins. I should probably be excited about reuniting with former conference mates from the ACC, but somehow I'm not. Except for NC State, I never really felt a connection with any of them (not really that fun being derided as a "Dirty Yankee," but I guess any of them who joined up would be on the receiving end of that kind of stuff now).

There will be a lot of good teams in the conference, and a lot of big payouts to members. My team will likely never compete for a conference football championship, but can in everything else (except maybe wrestling, too much ground to make up). That's all any of this means to me. I guess I'm weird...

Stanford and Cal are now in the ACC. Clemson and FSU are not AAU institutions. So my preference, if the Big Ten must expand further, would be for UNC and UVa. Both are similar universities to Rutgers and we already have some history in a number of sports with both of them. Together, they would be contiguous with all but the new west coast members and they are reachable by more fans for away games.

But I strongly prefer that all of this stops at 20 member institutions in any individual conference. I hoped it would stop at 16, since anything beyond that means that the schools and their fan bases won't even really identify with one another. And now living in Tucson, I've witnessed what has happened out here with the demise of the Pac12. An entire region of the country now lacks a top level university sports conference. I feel bad for the fans of Wazzou and Oregon State. I know how worried RU fans were about being left out back in 2011 and 2012 before the B1G "saved" us.

Reactions: thegock
Stanford and Cal are now in the ACC. Clemson and FSU are not AAU institutions. So my preference, if the Big Ten must expand further, would be for UNC and UVa. Both are similar universities to Rutgers and we already have some history in a number of sports with both of them. Together, they would be contiguous with all but the new west coast members and they are reachable by more fans for away games.

But I strongly prefer that all of this stops at 20 member institutions in any individual conference. I hoped it would stop at 16, since anything beyond that means that the schools and their fan bases won't even really identify with one another. And now living in Tucson, I've witnessed what has happened out here with the demise of the Pac12. An entire region of the country now lacks a top level university sports conference. I feel bad for the fans of Wazzou and Oregon State. I know how worried RU fans were about being left out back in 2011 and 2012 before the B1G "saved" us.
for the record, FSU is far better academically than both Oregon and Nebraska. FSU will have their AAU in the next 3 or so years

R1 is super important and flies under the radar

the golden egg is R1 and AAU

LOL, these conference expansion threads crack me up. Conference already has what, 18 teams in a few years? Add a few more to take it to 20, split into divisions and what you essentially have formed is................. two new "conferences".

Then maybe those two "conferences" can add teams too, LOL. And then they can split again. And then what you have is the CFA from 1986. Life comes full circle I guess.

I'll take Stanford for the Bay Area.
A lot of people thought that would happen. It didn't. We don't know why not. Did the Big Ten not want to expand no matter what the possibilities? Did it not want Stanford? Did Stanford not want it without Cal? (very unlikely, but possible). Now that Stanford and Cal have joined the ACC and signed its GOR, that conference would have to fall apart for Stanford to be available again.

obviously could be crap info...... but 2 different youtubers said that Stanford would never be part of the B10. That they did something after USC/UCLA announced..... but before Wash/Oregon and that pissed off the B10 (or maybe OSU) and that they would not be considered. And its not like they are ND.

Maybe something to do with their research? And maybe not playing nice.

It wasn't the main topic when it was said, so unfortunately they didn't elaborate on it.

Hence why i figured ASU, Colorado or Utah...... assuming that if we went west again, that CAL is definitely a waste and Stanford wasn't an option.

A lot of people thought that would happen. It didn't. We don't know why not. Did the Big Ten not want to expand no matter what the possibilities? Did it not want Stanford? Did Stanford not want it without Cal? (very unlikely, but possible). Now that Stanford and Cal have joined the ACC and signed its GOR, that conference would have to fall apart for Stanford to be available again.
we do know; they didn't bring enough money

the only way them or uva come is with nd

the only question that needs to be answered now is; what school or combo of schools generates approximately 70mm per school.

If you can't find this then the school isn't coming or being considered.

ND plus anyone
FSU/UNC

who else in possible play satisfies the benchmark???

"And I think that now is the time to be very open to pursuing all options, including those beyond remaining in the Atlantic Coast Conference." BOT

FSU/UNC

UNC will choose money, prestige, and academics vs localism. Besides, UNC isn't really 'southern' any longer

Pretty bizarre for UNC to leave the All Carolina Conference, but things are changing rapidly. That said, I'd like to see the Big Ten to wait at least five years before adding more schools. 18 is a LOT as is.

Pretty bizarre for UNC to leave the All Carolina Conference, but things are changing rapidly. That said, I'd like to see the Big Ten to wait at least five years before adding more schools. 18 is a LOT as is.
14 is too many…12 is perfect for a conference…maybe in the future someone will have the “original” idea to have regional conferences. 😉

I'm not going to lie, I'm in agreement with you. I wonder if the B1G is thinking the same thing...integrate the West Coast first for a few years and revisit this around 2028 or so when it's time to renegotiate the media deal for 2030.

the only question that needs to be answered now is; what school or combo of schools generates approximately 70mm per school.

If you can't find this then the school isn't coming or being considered.

ND plus anyone
FSU/UNC

who else in possible play satisfies the benchmark???
I agree,

But the B10 might want FL even if FSU+ Clemson/Miami/G-Tech only bring 100M(50M per school) and ND doesn't get off their ass. I think B10 going to Florida even if it dilutes slightly.
I think the B10 still goes to 20 without ND. The 2nd team if one of the above i assume would be at partial shares.(I didn't mention UNC since UNC and FSU i suspect do cover themselves)

In that scenario, ND plus another makes 22. That other could be one of the above or a West Coast School.

I believe FSU + ND + 2 others do provide 280MM.

Maybe the FL push from the B10 is smoke and mirrors and FSU got the SEC to budge.

I agree,

But the B10 might want FL even if FSU+ Clemson/Miami/G-Tech only bring 100M(50M per school) and ND doesn't get off their ass. I think B10 going to Florida even if it dilutes slightly.
I think the B10 still goes to 20 without ND. The 2nd team if one of the above i assume would be at partial shares.(I didn't mention UNC since UNC and FSU i suspect do cover themselves)

In that scenario, ND plus another makes 22. That other could be one of the above or a West Coast School.

I believe FSU + ND + 2 others do provide 280MM.

Maybe the FL push from the B10 is smoke and mirrors and FSU got the SEC to budge.
if the BIG takes Stanford, ND options become less and they lose northern cal optics which they demand from scheduling.

If I'm BIG, I play the cards now and force this

Flagship public university. Cal is (or rightfully should be) the bigger dog than Stanford. Maybe that’s just my bias.

That said, they should never separate. The Stanford athletic department phone number is 1-800-BEATCAL.
Athletically, Cal isn't the bigger dog. Stanford does better in the NACDA Directors Cup (formerly Sears Cup) competition covering Olympic sports. Cal hasn't been to the Rose Bowl or anything comparable since 1958, and Stanford has been. But I do agree (and I suspect Stanford agrees) that the two schools must march together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT