ADVERTISEMENT

Who else has not missed a Rutgers home game since the turn of the century?

PiscatawayMike

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Scarlet Knight Country!
The last home game I missed was Oct. 23, 1999. Rutgers lost to Pitt that Saturday afternoon, 38-15. I remember finding out the final score over the PA system while watching the Washington-Cal game at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, Calif.

During summer '99, I planned the trip to the San Francisco area because the Jets were at the Raiders on Oct. 24 and Springsteen performed in Oakland on Oct. 25 and 26. I saw The Boss a total of 33x in 10 cities on the E Street Band reunion tour in 1999-2000. Good times!

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/102399aaa.html

Reactions: RURM85
I've probably missed about 4-5, with every one of them due to being unavoidably out of town (like way out of town, i.e., Texas, Ireland, Florida, etc.), except for last year's Norfolk State game, where I was down the Shore (watched on TV - made the boss happy, lol).

I haven't missed a home game in a really long time, but I have no recollection of how long.

The only game I have missed was WVU in 2007 as I went to the Breeders Cup instead. It turned out to be a great day to miss a game as it rained hard, Rutgers got destroyed and the stupid fad of blackouts was started.

The only game I have missed was WVU in 2007 as I went to the Breeders Cup instead. It turned out to be a great day to miss a game as it rained hard, Rutgers got destroyed and the stupid fad of blackouts was started.

That was the WVU game where it was raining so hard the rain was hitting us sideways. Brutal, brutal day. The sun did come out as the game ended. Torture session. You missed nothing.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
How bout WVU October snow game, took me 5 hours to get back to Montclair

Another miserable day against the Mountaineers in a long series of miserable days. Who plowed that field during halftime? Who's responsible? Had to stand the entire second half without gloves. Stadium was a complete ice mess getting out after the game and came home to a freezing house due to no power. A day I'd like to forget but can't.

In 33 years I have missed 8 homes games...all of wither international trips for work I could not avoid or family events /weddings or bar mitzvahs I did not schedule.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I've missed one home game since 1982 and that was Tulane last year. Both my kids were freshmen in college and while my daughter is at Rutgers my son decided to go out of state. It was parents day That weekend so I went down to see him. The irony is he has transferred back and will be at Rutgers in the fall. Prior to that the closest I came to missing a game was mid 90s when the company I worked for had a management weekend with people coming in from all around the country. The president knew I was a big RU fan and put me on the agenda first that Saturday morning so by 10 a.m. I was flying down the turnpike on my way to the stadium

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I had a streak from 2003-2012 & then realized I was putting too much emphasis on going to crappy games instead of missing out on family stuff. Didn't go to Army that year & realized the world didn't revolve around my attendance at Rutgers games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT