ADVERTISEMENT

Why do they need the state trooper detail ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
I mean there is pretty much no one in the stands . What’s the point of having this detail on gameday ? Maybe there is a reason?

I mean some police force but they seem to have quite a bit there.

middlesex county sheriffs office might have a huge hole in its budget this year . Not getting paid for Ru home games. Not getting all the BS tickets they were giving out in the parking lot.

Reactions: CHOPU and Jimpeg
Think of it as RUs way of supporting the state police. Both the dept and the individuals count on the income, none of this COVID stuff is their fault. Rutgers is better able to absorb the financial hit.

plus, imagine the PR nightmare if something we’re to happen and police presence was undermanned due to “eh, we don’t need as many with no fans at the games”.

Reactions: beaced
Is see state troopers at many State University sidelines. It's a thing.
And with ours having the best uniform in the business...I like it.

Just wish the detail would get the biggest guys they can.

6’4” or better.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Between crazy gamblers and crazy fans, it’s important to protect coaches, officials and players; and in case you didn’t know, one reason why they do it is so that any attacker could also be charged with attacking a trooper which of course, carries a harsher punishment.

Think of it as RUs way of supporting the state police. Both the dept and the individuals count on the income, none of this COVID stuff is their fault. Rutgers is better able to absorb the financial hit.

plus, imagine the PR nightmare if something we’re to happen and police presence was undermanned due to “eh, we don’t need as many with no fans at the games”.
Count on the income ? Cmon give me beak

Reactions: Greg2020
Is see state troopers at many State University sidelines. It's a thing.
It is a thing, yes in normal times . Why the need for it now ? Seems like a waste of money considering so few fans . There needs to be some police presence, sure . But not this amount

It is a thing, yes in normal times . Why the need for it now ? Seems like a waste of money considering so few fans . There needs to be some police presence, sure . But not this amount
Who is there besides Rutgers and the State Police?

another slanted comment by --guess who--are you really a RU fan?????

Between crazy gamblers and crazy fans, it’s important to protect coaches, officials and players; and in case you didn’t know, one reason why they do it is so that any attacker could also be charged with attacking a trooper which of course, carries a harsher punishment.
Yes, normally. But very little fans

I think just those two . Seems like there is a lot of them, considering the fan limits.
Well if it’s just RUPD and the State Police I don’t think it’s a big deal.

But if you see some UMDNJ, New Brunswick, Piscataway and Middlesex County guys I’m with you on the overkill.

It’s a reasonable question. Can be a lot of things. If they do have local police presence, maybe it could be part of agreement with Piscataway from when expanded stadium, such that any event requires a certain amount of their police to be present. For Troopers, I’d assume it’s part of their contractual detail. I assume they could break it but it may also be in coach / staff’s contract agreements. Also, breaking it is prolly not good...what happens when they really need something. I can’t imagine State Police are obligated to contract this detail and could say to go pound sand and get yourself a private service...which would look bad. It would be interesting to know if / what all the contractual rules are...but then again, I’m not really interested. My wanting to know would be more for a trivia purposes

Reactions: Plum Street
It could be that, even with no tailgates at home games, the local police feel the need to patrol the lots looking for underage drinkers.
Thus the need for State Police to protect Greg from the invisible man .
Also now-a -days , you can't tell the good guy from bad because both wear masks😝

I mean there is pretty much no one in the stands . What’s the point of having this detail on gameday ? Maybe there is a reason?

Because Bear (or was it Woody?) started it 40-50 years ago. It's an ego thing.

Somebody post up the video of the NJSP at the Jets game with the perfect open field tackle.

Every school has a State Trooper from their state with them. Though I don't know for sure, there was probably a Michigan State Trooper behind their bench as well.

Used to be a guy (Sargent 1st Class?) who was part of the detail at Giants Stadium.

He was bigger than most of the players.

It could be that, even with no tailgates at home games, the local police feel the need to patrol the lots looking for underage drinkers.
Thus the need for State Police to protect Greg from the invisible man .
Also now-a -days , you can't tell the good guy from bad because both wear masks😝

you cannot enter the stadium grounds via River Road, only by the circle. The white lot is the only lot that is used for game day parking for the family and even they are not allowed to tailgate in any way. Park the car and go to the game. Security is making sure that no one lingers in the lot.

(and yes, I know you were being sarcastic)

Better to see state troopers than that little, fat guy who used to always be at Schiano's side in his first go round. Never understood what his job was

greg-schiano-rutgers-talks-return-1.jpg

Well if it’s just RUPD and the State Police I don’t think it’s a big deal.

But if you see some UMDNJ, New Brunswick, Piscataway and Middlesex County guys I’m with you on the overkill.
The last few years, I've even noticed uniformed South Brunswick cops in the concourse. Flat out silly. Just another in an endless string of waste, fraud and abuse everywhere in the state.

Whether we like it or not during a game (fans or no fans) there should be some sort of protection of the facility itself.

And IMO that should be done by RUPD and that’s about it.

As for inside, the same for those involved with the actual game...players, coaches, officials, Stadium staff, families, etc.

I don’t know what the protocols are but other than in terrain under the jurisdiction of local and county police, shouldn’t ALL security in and out of the stadium and university property be RUPD?

Better to see state troopers than that little, fat guy who used to always be at Schiano's side in his first go round. Never understood what his job was
That "little fat guy" is Scott who is now a retired NJ State Trooper, & he was part of Schiano's security detail along with Kenny who was a RU police man, & Big Bruce.

greg-schiano-rutgers-talks-return-1.jpg

Reactions: czxqa
I don’t know what the protocols are but other than in terrain under the jurisdiction of local and county police, shouldn’t ALL security in and out of the stadium and university property be RUPD?
Yes.

But on game day they don’t feel they can do it all by themselves which why you see so many different agencies represented.

Found this old article (ironically from 2006) partially explaining the origins and existence of this practice. This quote was an interesting piece that I didn't think about: "But the job consists of more than hanging out on the field and chop-blocking intruders. A big part of most troopers' duties is providing advance intelligence on road trips and arranging travel routes to and from stadia and airports." https://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2631660

Payola ....corrupt NJ
I mean some police force but they seem to have quite a bit there.

middlesex county sheriffs office might have a huge hole in its budget this year . Not getting paid for Ru home games. Not getting all the BS tickets they were giving out in the parking lot.
Political BS. Nothing stadium staff or local Police couldn't do.

Have you guys never watched a non-Rutgers game, or never even noticed the security detail around our opponents' coach? This isn't NJ corruption, political BS, or supporting the police. It's simply standard practice throughout the entire country for state troopers to travel with the coaches. I agree it's stupid, but this isn't some unique NJ/Rutgers thing.

The whole point of this thread is sure during non-covid times I totally get the practice . But during covid and no fans there, what’s the point of the detail??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT