ADVERTISEMENT

Why do they need the state trooper detail ?

I don't care, ut them out on 287 writing tickets, so that others on another thread can complain about the 'increased presence' of NJSP on roadways.

Reactions: czxqa
Better to see state troopers than that little, fat guy who used to always be at Schiano's side in his first go round. Never understood what his job was

greg-schiano-rutgers-talks-return-1.jpg
Too make Schiano look thin and healthy.

It’s a reasonable question. Can be a lot of things. If they do have local police presence, maybe it could be part of agreement with Piscataway from when expanded stadium, such that any event requires a certain amount of their police to be present. For Troopers, I’d assume it’s part of their contractual detail. I assume they could break it but it may also be in coach / staff’s contract agreements. Also, breaking it is prolly not good...what happens when they really need something. I can’t imagine State Police are obligated to contract this detail and could say to go pound sand and get yourself a private service...which would look bad. It would be interesting to know if / what all the contractual rules are...but then again, I’m not really interested. My wanting to know would be more for a trivia purposes
The SP detail is a volunteer group and is completely paid for by the football program. GS pays for the detail to travel out of his own pocket.

The SP detail is a volunteer group and is completely paid for by the football program. GS pays for the detail to travel out of his own pocket.
Who pays for Seal Team 6 inside the stadium in full battle fatigue's complete with body amour, M-16, extra magazines and sunglasses(for the I'm cool effect)?

Add in a couple grenades and they're all ready for Afghanistan.

When I was in the height minimum 5' 8".

I rode with one guy on the Turnpike that was that height on midnight tours.

So with bench seats I had to drive the whole 8 hours.

So I would wait till it was raining and we had our rain gear on. Nobody wore seat belts in those days.
He would fall asleep sometimes as I was making a loop of our patrol area.

I would wait till I knew he was out and go up over 100 MPH, check to make sure no other cars were around and slam on the brakes. He would slide off the bench seat into the foot well since his feet couldn't reach the front wall. "Damn it Big Will, knock it off !"

Reactions: RUhasarrived
Have you guys never watched a non-Rutgers game, or never even noticed the security detail around our opponents' coach? This isn't NJ corruption, political BS, or supporting the police. It's simply standard practice throughout the entire country for state troopers to travel with the coaches. I agree it's stupid, but this isn't some unique NJ/Rutgers thing.

I was commenting on the standard practice. It's stupid and a waste.

This sounds like a topic we should have been talking about the past 4 years when.......there was nothing else to talk about.
So what do we need to do to get a win on Saturday?

Wait, if it's a volunteer group than what is the FB program paying for? That kinda defeats the volunteer part no?

Simple answer - In addition to some safety issues - having the NJSP on the sidelines looks awesome on TV. Please move on from this negative Plum person. He has become the moist annoying poster on the board

Wait, if it's a volunteer group than what is the FB program paying for? That kinda defeats the volunteer part no?
Not really, the troopers are working, so they get paid. It’s “volunteer” in that the troopers “sign up” for the duty and aren’t assigned whether they want it or not.

having the NJSP on the sidelines looks awesome on TV.
One day in the WVU Stadium a local fan asked who the fellows were in the light blue jackets and navy pants. I told him NJ State Troopers. He responded "Dang, that is a real sharp uniform."

I'm not saying the WV State Police uniform is ugly, but it could easily be mistaken for a park ranger's outfit.

Reactions: JRZEER and RUnTeX
Well said. I'd suggest that anybody who would refer to Scott as a 'little fat guy' would NOT do so, to his face. Great guy, and certainly NOT a guy to be messed with.

Last edited:
Not really, the troopers are working, so they get paid. It’s “volunteer” in that the troopers “sign up” for the duty and aren’t assigned whether they want it or not.
It seems like a pretty cool detail.

One day in the WVU Stadium a local fan asked who the fellows were in the light blue jackets and navy pants. I told him NJ State Troopers. He responded "Dang, that is a real sharp uniform."

I'm not saying the WV State Police uniform is ugly, but it could easily be mistaken for a park ranger's outfit.
NJSP uniform was designed after the German officers of WW1 that Norman Schwarzkopf encountered before becoming the 1st superintendent in 1921

The all green of WV isn’t very common in the north east but I’ve have seen in several states across the country. Delaware, Massachusetts and PA SP uniforms always looked nice to me.

NJSP uniform was designed after the German officers of WW1 that Norman Schwarzkopf encountered before becoming the 1st superintendent in 1921
He was reportedly proud of his German forebears but in Jersey Troopers: A Fifty Year History of the New Jersey State Police it was more about harkening back to his days at West Point and his service in the American Army.
The Sam Brown Belt to cause one to "brace" or stand erect.
The dress blouse (jacket) over the shirt.
The hat was a direct copy of the officer's service cap popularized by Pershing in WWI replacing the older campaign style hat worn by the army previously.
The blue with yellow trim was a nod to the "blue and buff" which were the colors of the New Jersey regiments in Washington's Revolutionary Army.

Reactions: BigWill and JRZEER
Frankly, I just think it makes sense. The Rutgers head coach, and especially Schiano, is a valuable commodity and deserves the protection during games where things can go haywire.

and hand picked State Troopers also
make sense because of their level of professionalism and their presence. And they become accustomed to traveling with the Team.

as for this year with limited or no fans, arguably Schiano could dispose of the protection, but if I were him I wouldn’t. I’d make damn sure the SP knew how much I valued them and appreciated them and would keep them on to send that signal.

Last edited:
Since 9/11 and Sandy Hook (where I had/have 3 Grandchildren attending that school in Conn), I am all in favor of having ARMED professional Law Enforcement at schools and events at schools where large crowds are assembled.

Certainly the NJSP are one of the Standards for 'professionalism'.

After all the Trooper that took out that 'fan' running on the field at the Jets game made a form open field tackle and didn't even lose his 'cover'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT