ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ron Harper Jr. Declare After This Season?

They do some damage in OOC also since most of the BE rosters usually have upperclassmen. Once the younger guys from other power conferences get settled in they take care of the BE come tourney time.
very true

I mean this in the most respectful way possible...I don’t think rutgers fans can comment about tournament performance, I’m sorry

Yes we can't comment about our performance, we haven't been there but we can comment about SHU and the Big Least. They both got stomped and honestly, I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for Nova, your league would be an afterthought.

Aaaaaanndddd there it is. You just ooze with class, man. I make a few points and you go ranting about how much you know and how much I don’t. Then this comment. Clownshow.

It’s not carino hyping the team, it’s literally everyone covering college basketball ranking them inside the top 15 and some within the top 10. Oh yeah, but it’s just a coincidence. They’re just shills. Anything to put down that seton hall team that’s been awful the last four years.

Oh and by the way, if you wanna talk about “facts,” what about seton hall beating an elite eight team each of the past 4 years? Oh that doesn’t matter, they play in a weak conference. They’re just lucky.

2016: beat Villanova, eventual national champion
2017: beat South Carolina, eventual final four
2018: beat Texas tech, eventual elite eight
2019: beat Kentucky, eventual elite eight

All in front of sold out crowds at MSG.

Oh and seton halls record against big ten teams in that span? 6-2.

Don’t even bring up how Willard challenges his team while pikiell feeds his team cupcakes every year.

If you wanna debate who MIGHT end up as a better Nba player, fine. But keep questioning seton halls success (and making wild statements about the players behavior), which has already happened and is happening, and you’ll keep getting shut down.

Texas Tech was a sellout crowd....OMG....there were maybe 6 to 7K fans there at MSG that weeknight in November or December or whenever that game was. I work or worked with at least a dozen SHU diehards and about 3 or 4 of the 12 or 13 went to MSG.

We exaggerate when necessary but stop with the our program is this or that, Big East this and that. The evolution of the B1G from 2014 to 2019 is completely different in basketball. The Big East is now taking back UConn, a program corrupt with probationary history and has SHU celebrating their OOC this year because it features 3 B1G teams in Sparty, Maryland and RU.

If we are being fair, SHU is the better program today and has been for quite awhile. But to not acknowledge that RU now has a league, revenue streams and coaching staff that is in place, would be foolish. SHU will have a place to be celebrated, but if we are fair, where are the sold out games at Prudential center??? Sure we have Villanova once a year and RU every other year, but a school should draw more than 4 to 5K per game, regardless of the opponent.

In order to be deemed a legitimate program on a national scale, until SHU has a legitimate fan base that fills their arena most nights and doesn't require Sparty, Maryland, RU or Villanova to fill it for their home games, what exactly are we arguing about??

Part of being a Top 25 program has to do with all facets....recruiting, facilities, fan base and ability to keep up in a changing environment. We are less than 6 months from 2020....what happened 5 or 10 or 20 years ago is good to reference, but isn't going to save anyone's future.....what is the future of RU in the state or region in basketball vs SHU????....This is a legitimate question someone like Carino or others have to ask themselves as league in the Big East.

I don't have the animosity towards SHU or the Big East like I used to 5 or so years ago. I'm very comfortable with where RU is going. If SHU is a good program, that's fine. The larger question is. Will anyone be there to see it....is anyone else giving the league a pass that 2019 in the tournament wasn't at least concerning?? Purdue blitzed the champ Nova in a game that was over 8 minutes into the game....and the Big East was already working behind the scenes on UConn....they see what I see...an effort to keep up.

Let's see what happens in the next decade and which program, fan base, alumni steps up and whether conference revenue stream does or doesn't matter or does it all boil down to historical league results mattering more??

Reactions: Scangg
Texas Tech was a sellout crowd....OMG....there were maybe 6 to 7K fans there at MSG that weeknight in November or December or whenever that game was. I work or worked with at least a dozen SHU diehards and about 3 or 4 of the 12 or 13 went to MSG.

We exaggerate when necessary but stop with the our program is this or that, Big East this and that. The evolution of the B1G from 2014 to 2019 is completely different in basketball. The Big East is now taking back UConn, a program corrupt with probationary history and has SHU celebrating their OOC this year because it features 3 B1G teams in Sparty, Maryland and RU.

If we are being fair, SHU is the better program today and has been for quite awhile. But to not acknowledge that RU now has a league, revenue streams and coaching staff that is in place, would be foolish. SHU will have a place to be celebrated, but if we are fair, where are the sold out games at Prudential center??? Sure we have Villanova once a year and RU every other year, but a school should draw more than 4 to 5K per game, regardless of the opponent.

In order to be deemed a legitimate program on a national scale, until SHU has a legitimate fan base that fills their arena most nights and doesn't require Sparty, Maryland, RU or Villanova to fill it for their home games, what exactly are we arguing about??

Part of being a Top 25 program has to do with all facets....recruiting, facilities, fan base and ability to keep up in a changing environment. We are less than 6 months from 2020....what happened 5 or 10 or 20 years ago is good to reference, but isn't going to save anyone's future.....what is the future of RU in the state or region in basketball vs SHU????....This is a legitimate question someone like Carino or others have to ask themselves as league in the Big East.

I don't have the animosity towards SHU or the Big East like I used to 5 or so years ago. I'm very comfortable with where RU is going. If SHU is a good program, that's fine. The larger question is. Will anyone be there to see it....is anyone else giving the league a pass that 2019 in the tournament wasn't at least concerning?? Purdue blitzed the champ Nova in a game that was over 8 minutes into the game....and the Big East was already working behind the scenes on UConn....they see what I see...an effort to keep up.

Let's see what happens in the next decade and which program, fan base, alumni steps up and whether conference revenue stream does or doesn't matter or does it all boil down to historical league results mattering more??
you know what's hilarious @shurings ? Why don't you go back and look at the beat writers lambasting the weak SHU fan base for being totally absent and irrelevant for the Kentucky game

B1G Since 2000:

1 National Champion
5 National Runner Ups
16 Final Fours

Lot of "always the bridesmaid" for the B1G.

Compared to the Big East:
6 National Champions (of which 2 are from teams still in the conference)
0 National Runner Ups
13 Final Fours (of which 4 are from teams still in the conference)

Lot of "always the bridesmaid" for the B1G.

Compared to the Big East:
6 National Champions (of which 2 are from teams still in the conference)
0 National Runner Ups
13 Final Fours (of which 4 are from teams still in the conference)
Yooooooo. Stoppppppp. The big east today is literally not the big east that youre posting numbers for.

Yooooooo. Stoppppppp. The big east today is literally not the big east that youre posting numbers for.

Thought I made that clear in the post, no? How many of the teams with the titles and FF appearances are still in the conference? O.o

The Big Ten has traditionally been very good at getting teams deep in the tournament, then not winning it. Over the last 30 seasons, there has been just 1 B1G champion, despite appearing in 9 NC games.

By contrast:
ACC: 11
SEC: 6
Old BE: 5 (1990-2013, though one of those was later vacated)
New BE: 2 (2014-2019)
P12: 2
B1G: 1
AAC: 1
B12: 1
Big West: 1

Agreed, put this post to REST!
KmP6.gif

Reactions: NJDOVES
Mr. Slate: "You look just like a fella who works for me."

Goggles Pizano: "He's a good-a man, no?"

Mr. Slate: "He's a good-a man, no is right!"

latest

Last edited:
It's not as far fetched as some here are going to pretend it is. Ron has nba blood lines which means a little something and on top of that with seeing Brazdeikis go in the 2nd round to the Knicks, I think Ron is going to be a more complete player and more consistent all year as a soph as opposed to when he was a freshman. Ron and Bradzeikis are about the same size but Ron is a little more athletic and a better defender with more position versatility when it comes to defending.

If Ron can simply just pick up where he left off at the end of last year and continue to naturally improve with experience, IMO there's a chance he could declare and be drafted after this season.

Let him put up Lloyd,Sellers or Douby type numbers for two years....Then let’s talk

Mo

Let him put up Lloyd,Sellers or Douby type numbers for two years....Then let’s talk

Mo
quincy douby had an insane junior year but for his career he was an 18/3/3 guy. I think Ron can get close to that this year. Personally I think Ron's headed for a 15ppg/6rpg/2-3apg type of year

And GM's never make a mistake?

MO

Generally, easiest way for a GM to make a mistake is to actually draft the most productive college player - i.e. the Wooden/Naismith Award winner.

Did you know Charlotte turned down four (4!!) 1st round draft picks from Boston because Charlotte didn't want to lose out on Frank Kaminsky (2015 Wooden/Naismith Winner)? Still my favorite draft story.

Projecting. So much offense opened up with the ball stopper now gone. It’s not far fetched the see Ron have a better season than Ignas Bradzeikas just had for Michigan. And pop the tape in, Ron is more versatile and athletic. I dont know why people think this is so far fetched. Kid can shoot it with the best of them, has a good handle, can get to the hole, plays good defense and can guard 2-4 has nba bloodlines, and will most likely be our leading scorer.
After looking at him for this season. Do you still think the same way

If people are willing to stand up and be accountable for their wrong takes then there's no need to bump up old threads. Kyk has already said elsewhere that his expecting more of Harper is looking bad.

Still waiting for Ron to grow to 6’11”... after that he can declare for the draft...great upside but nowhere near ready for Primetime.

It wouldn’t shock me if Harper declares after this year so that he can be assessed and be advised of his strengths and weaknesses by nba personnel. . Regardless, Harper will be / should be back with Rutgers next year as he needs to improve and strengthen himself as he is not anywhere near ready for the nba.

2 things I can tell all:

- At the last court club meeting,Coach Hobbs told us he has notified scouts of Harper of his possible climb to the NBA

- At the Umass game, I sat several seats from Jeff Ruland who is now a scout and trust me he was not there for any Umass players

Oh, THIS thread. Boy oh boy. It’s early, though. Let’s hope Harper, Jr. can pick up his shooting. He is scoring more.

Agreed - he's starting off slow like he did last year, but not quite AS slow. Still think he'll end up around .333, but if I had to bet right now I'd probably take the under on that rather than the over.

It's not as far fetched as some here are going to pretend it is. Ron has nba blood lines which means a little something and on top of that with seeing Brazdeikis go in the 2nd round to the Knicks, I think Ron is going to be a more complete player and more consistent all year as a soph as opposed to when he was a freshman. Ron and Bradzeikis are about the same size but Ron is a little more athletic and a better defender with more position versatility when it comes to defending.

If Ron can simply just pick up where he left off at the end of last year and continue to naturally improve with experience, IMO there's a chance he could declare and be drafted after this season.

IMO until he's over 15-18 ppg, shooting >40% from 3, and >75% from the line his declaration should be : "I'm coming back to Rutgers...in 2020-2021".

MO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT