ADVERTISEMENT

Would Riley survive a loss to rutgers ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
I don't think so. They don't mess around out in Nebraska.
Here is a crazy stat : If we win and Riley is canned we still wouldn't have any wins against current big ten coaches . Hoke, Wilson, edsall and possibly Riley would all be out of the league. Losing to rutgers is not a good career move in this league .
But we need a BIG win. And need it now

I think he is a goner no matter what. However a loss to RU and he probably goes this week with someone on staff taking over in the interim.

Reactions: Steve91562
I think he is a goner no matter what. However a loss to RU and he probably goes this week with someone on staff taking over in the interim.

Unless they go on an unbelievable run to finish the season, I can't see Riley being back next year. The new AD is going to want his guy as football coach.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Maryland and likely Nebraska fired their coaches right after giving them extensions. They didn't mess around. Cleaned the situation up and are/will be better for it.

Meanwhile RU had Flood/hermann, who had a smaller buyout and allowed them to stay on for the whole season (and prior season) despite suspending flood and further turning the program into a joke.

How we handled flood vs how Maryland/ Nebraska and the big boys handle their situation is why we are the worst team in the league.

These programs extended their coaches in the summer and fired them in the first month or 2 of the season. RU would never fire a recently extended coach no matter how bad it was.

yes they would they fired the last coach for ONLY winning 9 games every season he was there. They still think it is the 90's over there.

Don't think he survives beyond this year, regardless of Saturday's outcome, unless they win the West which is doubtful. The new AD when hired will want to pick his own coach. If Rutgers beats Nebraska this weekend, just don't see a temporary AD making this decision.

I think the AD will be gone as well,after Rutgers wins Saturday .
Oops, spoke too late : Shawn Eichors (Nebraska's AD yesterday) was just fired today:effective immediately.
Looks like Riley's next

Reactions: rubigtimenow
A loss to RU, at home, will most likely send Riley to the shower. He will keep his job if he keeps winning.

Riley loses, and someone plants a For Sale sign on his front lawn.

Okay--- seriously...... before the AD got fired, I would have said as loss to Rutgers and Riley would be gone by Sunday morning.....

But, now, he's actually safe through the end of the season............ not that that really means much....

Losing to us could just be a matter of changing time frames but the likely outcome is still the same. Riley won't see next year unless some miracle happened and he won the championship.

I predict a Rutgers win and Riley fired before he leaves the building.
I don't think you fire a coach after 4 games. the remaining staff will know their time is limited. The players will know they're just playing out the schedule. Riley just better update his resume.

Even if Nebraska wins he isn't long for Lincoln.

New AD means a new coach.
They say you get to hire just one.

This game is the USF equivalent for Nebraska where we won and then lost to ND in the Pinstripe. Better long term for them to lose to us Saturday and completely clean house.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Nebraska is not losing to RU this year.
upsets happen and that's what I'm hoping for.
Nebraska has a lot of problems (RU has as well) and if RU can gain the edge it might come home with an upset victory.
Yes it seems impossible to do in Lincoln, but that's why it will be called an upset.
csul2b22rutg_%2525281500%252529_blk____61926.1484259884.500.750.jpg

If we beat Nebraska, I bet they can him and let one of the assistants do the interim thing clearing the way for their new AD to bring in his own guy.

If we beat Nebraska, I bet they can him and let one of the assistants do the interim thing clearing the way for their new AD to bring in his own guy.
Bob Diaco, Riley's DC, probably would get the interim position and a chance to be made permanent depending how the rest of season went.
His UConn HC experience hurts his resume, but was considered an up and coming HC candidate while Notre Dame's DC.
But Scott Frost probably will get first shot and take it, if he feels he could turn Nebraska back to the powerhouse it once was.

Losing to us means he's gone by sundown. Not losing to us means he's gone in December. Whatever.

I want all Big Ten teams (well, except one) to be strong. Riley will not do that for Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT