ADVERTISEMENT

Wow......Boom! Dean Peterson flips from Princeton to RU!!!

Honest question because I’m completely clueless about wrestling. Does this make us or at least put us on the fringes of a team NC yet?
How many teams get team awards? We’ll have 5 kids that can AA, 6 with MVB. I don’t think we have AA chances at 157, 165, 197 of 285. Would need a perfect run from everyone and still we’re not beating Iowa

How many teams get team awards? We’ll have 5 kids that can AA, 6 with MVB. I don’t think we have AA chances at 157, 165, 197 of 285. Would need a perfect run from everyone and still we’re not beating Iowa
There are 4 team trophies if a tie occurs for 4th both get trophies. I'm just hoping we can get back into the top 10 next year.

I'd say 3x qualifier Bulsak (transfer) has a chance at 197. Especially with Martin, Poz and Janzer as partners.

Reactions: plcoolg
I think Kinards neutral skills are AA worthy. If he was able to put on muscle, I expect him to be in the mix to AA

125- Shawver, Peterson,Messina
133- Rivera, Raimo, Britton
141- Alvarez, Rivera, Robinson, Gapas, DeSantis
149- MVB, JoJo, Santos, Angelo
157- Kanniard, MVB, Benner
165- Clark, Kanniard, O"Neill
174- Turley, Janzer, O'Neill
184- Poznanski, Janzer
197- Bulsak, Epperly
HWT- McDermott, Esposito

Reactions: njsportsphan
125- Shawver, Peterson,Messina
133- Rivera, Raimo, Britton
141- Alvarez, Rivera, Robinson, Gapas, DeSantis
149- MVB, JoJo, Santos, Angelo
157- Kanniard, MVB, Benner
165- Clark, Kanniard, O"Neill
174- Turley, Janzer, O'Neill
184- Poznanski, Janzer
197- Bulsak, Epperly
HWT- McDermott, Esposito
This looks about right, though I think Peterson is better than Shawver. Missing a few guys though, off the top of my head Kyonte is the biggest omission. Weaver and White will probably be on the roster as well. I think we have 34 bodies in the room next year, gotta make four cuts. Most of them will probably be at heavyweight.

The names that are missing will most likely redshirt. Kyonte is still green. Upside is great but with him playing football he has no chance of starting.

This looks about right, though I think Peterson is better than Shawver. Missing a few guys though, off the top of my head Kyonte is the biggest omission. Weaver and White will probably be on the roster as well. I think we have 34 bodies in the room next year, gotta make four cuts. Most of them will probably be at heavyweight.
I'm still not counting Shawver out. Kyonte hasn't proven himself at heavyweight yet. If McDermott comes into season in shape, he'll be a good test. Weaver and White aren't just probable, they're there unless there's something I haven't heard. Olivieri too.

Roster size has not yet been determined. Possible due to last year being a free year the roster size is increased. Roster size is not an NCAA rule, it is set by the University.
We usually have a cap of 30 (likely due to Title IX and funding allocated to the program) so I don't know that 34 is right and we may see some more departures from depth guys, but I'm curious if it how much it's expanded due to the free covid year.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
We usually have a cap of 30 (likely due to Title IX and funding allocated to the program) so I don't know that 34 is right and we may see some more departures from depth guys, but I'm curious if it how much it's expanded due to the free covid year.
We need to get to 30. By my count were currently at 34, is what I meant. Need to trim the roster. With McDermott, Esposito, Kyonte, Estevez, Collucci, and Odonnell at heavyweight, I would imagine a couple cuts would come at that weight class. The other two cuts will probably be someone like Gapas who barely gets matches as well as maybe a freshman taking a gap year.

I'm still not counting Shawver out. Kyonte hasn't proven himself at heavyweight yet. If McDermott comes into season in shape, he'll be a good test. Weaver and White aren't just probable, they're there unless there's something I haven't heard. Olivieri too.
I’m not disrespecting Shawver or counting him out, but I’ve watched Peterson up close for 4 years and can tell you he’s on another level.

I love that we can talk about who may or may not start. We finally have the depth on the roster at every weight class.
Rutgers never had this depth of wrestlers.
165 lbs. I wouldn't call it having depth. Just who's best of what's there. However, I agree the rest of the roster is finally looking like an upper middle tier B1G team.

165 lbs. I wouldn't call it having depth. Just who's best of what's there. However, I agree the rest of the roster is finally looking like an upper middle tier B1G team.
165 is particularly troubling in that we have Clark moving up two weight classes to fill it, and without having had much experience at the college level. I'm typically not in favor of weight cuts but wonder if O'Neill could safely and reliably drop one weight class.

We need to get to 30. By my count were currently at 34, is what I meant. Need to trim the roster. With McDermott, Esposito, Kyonte, Estevez, Collucci, and Odonnell at heavyweight, I would imagine a couple cuts would come at that weight class. The other two cuts will probably be someone like Gapas who barely gets matches as well as maybe a freshman taking a gap year.
Colon is counted in the 34. He was on a gap year; do we know he's still coming? Since Soldano is coming in next year and given the way Poz handled Colon in the HS state final, I don't expect he'll be very competitive. Heavyweight can afford one or two less but there are some other weights with as many as five with some having been there for years without breaking through. Chletsos will be coming at 133 or 141 and promises some potential. Those two weight classes have more than enough backup.

165 is particularly troubling in that we have Clark moving up two weight classes to fill it, and without having had much experience at the college level. I'm typically not in favor of weight cuts but wonder if O'Neill could safely and reliably drop one weight class.
O'Neil looked horrible last year. There weren't many matches, but he got pounded in every match. After intermission it won't be a rush to get back to your seats, so those lines for the bathroom won't seem that bad. We just don't have anyone ready for this weigh class this year. Maybe one of these guys can develop in time but next year is going to be brutal.

O'Neil looked horrible last year. There weren't many matches, but he got pounded in every match. After intermission it won't be a rush to get back to your seats, so those lines for the bathroom won't seem that bad. We just don't have anyone ready for this weigh class this year. Maybe one of these guys can develop in time but next year is going to be brutal.
Maybe, but consider O’Neil was a true freshmen who didn’t reclass in HS. He’ll get better, but regardless, he can’t make 165.

Also consider that 3 of his 4 matches happened in one day at the tri-meet with Purdue and Minnesota but to your point he looked awful that day as he gave up a MD, then a TF, and then got pinned. Those were the matches he got pounded in.

With that being said, it's very easy to have an off day especially as a true freshman during back to back extra bouts especially since he was someone who needed experience and development, which unfortunately due to COVID shutdowns was taken away. His one other match was again against Michigan, where he lost 5-3 to a 4th year junior. Not making excuses, but the sample size was insanely small and everyone said that last year was a complete clusterf*ck, so it's hard to take much away from it, especially for the guys who weren't in the starting lineup.

Like I said we can chat about the line-up all we want, at the end of the day the best wrestler will start. Predicting the line-up in mid August is fun for the fans. Come November 1st we will know more who's wrestling where. Rutgers will be fine at 165. The line-up its solid, they will compete every match.
O'Neill is a good wrestler, he wasn't big enough for 174 last year. Peterson will get his shot to start but its not a lock.

Reactions: elvis7
Regarding Peterson/Sawver, as Scott said to me “let the best man win”.
And that's the way it should be. I'm not sure Scott allowed that last year at 174.

Maybe I'm overrating Shawver but I'm balancing his improvement and experience with the effects of Peterson's year off and considering them to be competitive. Maybe I'm wrong - I have been before, although that was many years ago 🙂

My rationale concerning O'Neill dropping to 165, although moot if he can't do it, was that a state champion moving down one would be stronger than a state champion moving up two. Arguable on an individual basis, of course.

Bill I'm hearing that the Princeton staff screwed up and basically gave him nothing and r u offered him a full ride. Was that the motivation for him to flip? Either which way that is a huge get for our program. I watched him against Jordan Titus and he was unbelievable
Correct...He just found out he had to pay to go to Princeton and heard he wasn't having that like Crackers said..Also heard he was offered a full ride to RU and won't pay a dime here. Also don't think there will be too much/or any scholarship money off of Rutgers Wrestling Scholarship monies.

Correct...He just found out he had to pay to go to Princeton and heard he wasn't having that like Crackers said..Also heard he was offered a full ride to RU and won't pay a dime here. Also don't think there will be too much/or any scholarship money off of Rutgers Wrestling Scholarship monies.
Does that mean he’s getting an academic scholarship? Good for him

Reactions: Leonard23
I am sure we did but if they are that stupid and did not have that locked up when he committed as a junior shame on them. If they thought he was going to pay $70,000 a year for the honor and glory of Princeton, hello?
But Princeton and other Ivys don't give out athletic scholarships, and everyone knows that. Was he supposed to get something else and PU screwed up?

How does someone just find out they weren't getting any $? Very odd situation that I hope we exploit to the fullest.

How does someone just find out they weren't getting any $? Very odd situation that I hope we exploit to the fullest.
A lot of coaches promise things they can’t fulfill and then pressure the athlete to making a tough decision. You usually don’t see it with a top tier recruit though, and I’m not sure if that’s the case here. I know personally of a few athletes in various sports being told they’re getting X% of a scholarship and then long after signing day when it’s time to pay tuition, the numbers don’t line up.

It’s really sad for the athletes because by that point, most D1 programs have their scholarship totals allocated and/or their rosters maxed out and now they have to choose to take less than promised to stay with the school or reopen their recruitment hoping some school of a similar pedigree has a spot and money for them. Glad it worked out for Dean and thrilled we were the ones to give him the opportunity.

I am sure we did but if they are that stupid and did not have that locked up when he committed as a junior shame on them. If they thought he was going to pay $70,000 a year for the honor and glory of Princeton, hello?
Ayres to me ( and this is just my opinion) doesn't seem like a very sharp, and polished head coach. I would think he would throw in the kitchen sink to secure someone like Dean Peterson. Relying on the fact that it's Princeton and thinking that student athletes will do anyting to get there is going to hurt them in the long run. This generation of student-athletes seem to be more cognizant of the value of no debt when they graduate. I would have done the same thing as him. Princeton at 70 grand a year or debt free Rutgers education is a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT