ADVERTISEMENT

Wow......Boom! Dean Peterson flips from Princeton to RU!!!

Correct...He just found out he had to pay to go to Princeton and heard he wasn't having that like Crackers said..Also heard he was offered a full ride to RU and won't pay a dime here. Also don't think there will be too much/or any scholarship money off of Rutgers Wrestling Scholarship monies.
Thank you Nick and Bob Suriano?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Ayres to me ( and this is just my opinion) doesn't seem like a very sharp, and polished head coach. I would think he would throw in the kitchen sink to secure someone like Dean Peterson. Relying on the fact that it's Princeton and thinking that student athletes will do anyting to get there is going to hurt them in the long run. This generation of student-athletes seem to be more cognizant of the value of no debt when they graduate. I would have done the same thing as him. Princeton at 70 grand a year or debt free Rutgers education is a no brainer.
The only reason he would not have been offered money at Princeton is because his family would not have qualified for need based aid, that's the only type of aid Ivy League gives. That means his family supposedly can afford to send him there. That's just how the Ivies work. The best option, not debatable, is a Princeton degree that your parents pay for.

Reactions: patk89
Ayres to me ( and this is just my opinion) doesn't seem like a very sharp, and polished head coach. I would think he would throw in the kitchen sink to secure someone like Dean Peterson. Relying on the fact that it's Princeton and thinking that student athletes will do anyting to get there is going to hurt them in the long run. This generation of student-athletes seem to be more cognizant of the value of no debt when they graduate. I would have done the same thing as him. Princeton at 70 grand a year or debt free Rutgers education is a no brainer.

I'm fine with them continuing what they're doing if it means making the same mistake over again.

The only reason he would not have been offered money at Princeton is because his family would not have qualified for need based aid, that's the only type of aid Ivy League gives. That means his family supposedly can afford to send him there. That's just how the Ivies work. The best option, not debatable, is a Princeton degree that your parents pay for.
Definitely debatable. Depends on what you want to do with your life. $280,000 is a lot of money. I had two friends go to Princeton to be teachers. They are NJ teachers and make the same salary as the other teachers I know that went to Montclair State for a quarter of the money. Obviously Princeton is the better school, but if you are not going to use the degree the right way post grad then it may not be worth it.

Definitely debatable. Depends on what you want to do with your life. $280,000 is a lot of money. I had two friends go to Princeton to be teachers. They are NJ teachers and make the same salary as the other teachers I know that went to Montclair State for a quarter of the money. Obviously Princeton is the better school, but if you are not going to use the degree the right way post grad then it may not be worth it.
Yeah I get it. If you are planning to be a NJ public school teacher, then Princeton makes no sense.

Thank you Nick and Bob Suriano?
Ha! I never even thought of that scenario. talk about perfect timing. I would think Peterson wouldn't even consider Rutgers if Suriano was staying. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Surianos'selfish, self-centered ways will catch up to them

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Ditto. I've got a friend who is the principal of a school in New Jersey, who graduated from William Paterson and a Masters from Jersey City State. He tells me all the time ,some of the biggest dip shitz, pain in the asses are three of his teachers that graduated from Princeton, Columbia, and Brown. He also mentioned that some of his brightest, and more articulate teachers that are loved by the student-faculty, graduated from Rutgers, Caldwell College, and Centenary.

Ha! I never even thought of that scenario. talk about perfect timing. I would think Peterson wouldn't even consider Rutgers if Suriano was staying. I've said it before and I'll say it again... the Surianos'selfish, self-centered ways will catch up to them
I'm not so sure it has caught up to them but it sure has finally benefitted Rutgers. It could have been Suriano for one more year or Peterson for four. The one caution in getting too happy about this is that Peterson has not proven himself yet.

* Did Nick get four years of education from Rutgers for two seasons of wrestling?

I'm not so sure it has caught up to them but it sure has finally benefitted Rutgers. It could have been Suriano for one more year or Peterson for four. The one caution in getting too happy about this is that Peterson has not proven himself yet.
I agree that Peterson is not proven yet, but from what I've seen he looks like a bona fide All American. If he can do two things ... stay healthy and stay focused he'll be a force

Yeah I get it. If you are planning to be a NJ public school teacher, then Princeton makes no sense.
There are multiple reasons for wanting an Ivy education. Prestige is one of them and certainly, competitiveness is another. If one can afford it just for the prestige, then fine. If going for a law degree or engineering, it will pay higher right from the start. If you're studying tree-hugging or Tibetan poetry, then not so much.

On a visit to Princeton when my kids were still in school, my son declared that he wanted to attend Princeton. I told him to study hard, do well in school, get a high SAT score, and he'll always be able to tell people he could have gone to Princeton.

There are multiple reasons for wanting an Ivy education. Prestige is one of them and certainly, competitiveness is another. If one can afford it just for the prestige, then fine. If going for a law degree or engineering, it will pay higher right from the start. If you're studying tree-hugging or Tibetan poetry, then not so much.

On a visit to Princeton when my kids were still in school, my son declared that he wanted to attend Princeton. I told him to study hard, do well in school, get a high SAT score, and he'll always be able to tell people he could have gone to Princeton.
Well based on this current generation of college students, I would say tree-hugging and Tibetan poetry is more along the lines.

Is that all you got to say? you're the type idiot that when you're losing an argument you bring somebody's mother into it.
I thought it was a pretty funny response...and it was done in jest, not maliciously according to SC.

Hopefully he was schooling Glory and Pat could not handle the competition.
I heard the same thing that there was some sort of episode with Pat Glory. Again this is second hand information but its pretty reliable. I've never been a Pat Glory fan. Kid seems like a hot dog. I know his dad went to Roxbury High School ,and heard he was a whack job and is now wealthy as heck.

Not a fan of glory either. Weaver had him on his back as a freshman , glory came back and pinned him and got in his face. Could see him being a dick to an incoming freshman.

Not a fan of glory either. Weaver had him on his back as a freshman , glory came back and pinned him and got in his face. Could see him being a dick to an incoming freshman.
yeah I remember that match he was pretty flat. Hope his father duked the ref at least a g note,because that was Criminal that ,that pin was not called.

Have to disagree with you on this one..Not a fan of Ayres but the guy has done a Great job building a Program that was a joke...They were just so bad before he arrived there to the point they had no fans and the couple that they did would cheer when one of their wrestlers got in on a leg (never finished)..Now He has had them in the top 25 last couple years, 4 All-Americans, Good crowds, hired a very good coach in Joey D, Won a Ivy League title over Cornell and Rob Koll and raised tons of money for the Program...I think the guy is pretty sharp. (IMO)

Last edited:
Seems like an obnoxious kid. His jr year districts he’s obviously on a way different level than everyone in his bracket. He’s pinning kids in 15 seconds and really hamming it up, taking bows, flexing. He got booed out of the gym

Reactions: njsportsphan
Seems like an obnoxious kid. His jr year districts he’s obviously on a way different level than everyone in his bracket. He’s pinning kids in 15 seconds and really hamming it up, taking bows, flexing. He got booed out of the gym
I have no issue with that though. Just because he’s good doesn’t mean he’s not allowed to have fun. As long as he’s not taunting his opponents. I love watching AJ Ferrari do the same thing at the college level.

The 500 ppl who booed him out of the gym that saw it in person didn’t feel that way. Beyond taunting, top rated kid in the country flexing over an overmatched kid you just pinned in 15 seconds ? Now Ferrari is hilarious not even close to glory’s bs. His deadlift comments and his personality when he was interviewed last year was pretty funny

The 500 ppl who booed him out of the gym that saw it in person didn’t feel that way. Beyond taunting, top rated kid in the country flexing over an overmatched kid you just pinned in 15 seconds ? Now Ferrari is hilarious not even close to glory’s bs. His deadlift comments and his personality when he was interviewed last year was pretty funny
I have to agree with you 100%. Ferrari is a hot dog but he's not mean about it. Pat Glory was basically belittling his competition. I still think that Mark Montgomery match put a little bit of wind in his sails. He definitely wasn't pinned but he was pretty darn close.

Have to disagree with you on this one..Not a fan of Ayres but the guy has done a Great job building a Program that was a joke...They were just so bad before he arrived there to the point they had no fans and the couple that they did would cheer when one of their wrestlers got in on a leg (never finished)..Now He has had them in the top 25 last couple years, 4 All-Americans, Good crowds, hired a very good coach in Joey D, Won a Ivy League title over Cornell and Rob Koll and raised tons of money for the Program...I think the guy is pretty sharp. (IMO)
I agree with you that he's done a great job with Princeton with respect to recruiting, and hiring coaches. What I meant was , how he carries himself personally. I have never once heard coach Goodale create drama and go on social media bragging about his wrestler and point spreads that he might achieve against another wrestler ala ashnault versus kolodzik. Also, he lets that little turd Dubuque, act like a bully,

I have to agree with you 100%. Ferrari is a hot dog but he's not mean about it. Pat Glory was basically belittling his competition. I still think that Mark Montgomery match put a little bit of wind in his sails. He definitely wasn't pinned but he was pretty darn close.
[/QUOTE
Absolutely. Ferrari has a lot of showmanship in him and is good for the sport although I still root for him to get knocked off lol. I wonder where his weight is remember last year he made a comment about going heavy weight for Steveson

Well based on this current generation of college students, I would say tree-hugging and Tibetan poetry is more along the lines.
I realize that "haters gotta hate", but now some right-wingers eagerly proclaim your "moral superiority" at the drop of a hat. Forget about honest discussions.

And yes, I AM a tree-hugger - and damn proud of it.

I want clean air so that less people have to suffer from asthma, COPD, and lung cancer.
I want clean water so less people have to deal with the effects of lead and persistent organic compounds.
I want us to do something about global warming, so that our grand-kids don't have to deal with a chaotic world by 2100.

As to being an elitist:

When I reached college age, I never could even consider Princeton, nor could I consider living on campus at RU - because my blue collar family could not afford it. I commuted to school for 3 years.

I worked each summer at my uncle's dairy farm for $20 a week (plus room and board), because he needed the help just to survive.

I shoveled cow manure, pig manure, and chicken manure every day. I picked rocks, pulled weeds, cleared spider webs, tarred roofs, white-washed walls, and worked 15 hours a day during haying season throwing bales onto wagons and into mows. I suspect I got more dirt under my fingernails in a month than you have in your entire life.

So assuming all people who love the natural world are pansies incapable of understanding what real work is like is a complete caricature and flat -out wrong. My family taught me the value of real work and living up to your responsibilities, and I am grateful they did.

Have a good time making fun of me and those of my ilk, since that seems to be one thing you at which you are skilled. Just letting you know that there is diversity in all groups.

Reactions: RC1978
I realize that "haters gotta hate", but now some right-wingers eagerly proclaim your "moral superiority" at the drop of a hat. Forget about honest discussions.

And yes, I AM a tree-hugger - and damn proud of it.

I want clean air so that less people have to suffer from asthma, COPD, and lung cancer.
I want clean water so less people have to deal with the effects of lead and persistent organic compounds.
I want us to do something about global warming, so that our grand-kids don't have to deal with a chaotic world by 2100.

As to being an elitist:

When I reached college age, I never could even consider Princeton, nor could I consider living on campus at RU - because my blue collar family could not afford it. I commuted to school for 3 years.

I worked each summer at my uncle's dairy farm for $20 a week (plus room and board), because he needed the help just to survive.

I shoveled cow manure, pig manure, and chicken manure every day. I picked rocks, pulled weeds, cleared spider webs, tarred roofs, white-washed walls, and worked 15 hours a day during haying season throwing bales onto wagons and into mows. I suspect I got more dirt under my fingernails in a month than you have in your entire life.

So assuming all people who love the natural world are pansies incapable of understanding what real work is like is a complete caricature and flat -out wrong. My family taught me the value of real work and living up to your responsibilities, and I am grateful they did.

Have a good time making fun of me and those of my ilk, since that seems to be one thing you at which you are skilled. Just letting you know that there is diversity in all groups.
Whoa whoa whoa.... nobody is going to make fun of you. I think your story is one of respect. I'm very impressed that you went out and did physical work and realized that you had to get finished with college even if it meant commuting. I think everybody comes from some sort of hard-working blue-collar roots. Also, everyone is a little bit of a tree hugger. Myself included. No one wants to live in an environment where there's filth and dirty air. Also no one wants to live in an area where there is destruction and irresponsible treatment of forestry, and the ecological environments that inhabit it. I think we were just joking around when it came to Tibetan poetry and tree-hugging. It was a metaphor for the lazy Millennials, that don't do the work that you do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT