ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was injured during his redshirt year but came back to wrestle in the NCO so not sure if he would qualify for the 6th year if he applied. He wrestled in 2 tournaments in November of that year and then missed until the NCO.
Tough to say, but there is a case to be made

He was injured during his redshirt year but came back to wrestle in the NCO so not sure if he would qualify for the 6th year if he applied. He wrestled in 2 tournaments in November of that year and then missed until the NCO.

For a medical hardship waiver, you have to meet both criteria:

Participate in no more than 30% of permissible competition dates
Medical issue must arise in the first half of the season, and result in an inability to participate for the remainder of the season.

The only exception would be if he wrestled in the NCO unattached? I am not sure if that is possible. If he was unattached, it would not count.

EDIT: Okay so I checked the NCO website... He did wrestle unattached in 2014. SO - its less clear. I am fairly confident that even though his competing at the NCO means he was able to compete in the second half of the season in layman's terms, that competition does not count and is ignored for NCAA purposes. So I think he would be eligible for a medical hardship waiver if he missed this season.

For a medical hardship waiver, you have to meet both criteria:

Participate in no more than 30% of permissible competition dates
Medical issue must arise in the first half of the season, and result in an inability to participate for the remainder of the season.

The only exception would be if he wrestled in the NCO unattached? I am not sure if that is possible. If he was unattached, it would not count.

EDIT: Okay so I checked the NCO website... He did wrestle unattached in 2014. SO - its less clear. I am fairly confident that even though his competing at the NCO means he was able to compete in the second half of the season in layman's terms, that competition does not count and is ignored for NCAA purposes. So I think he would be eligible for a medical hardship waiver if he missed this season.

Very hard to get a medical hardship when you compete in the second half of the season. Unattached is not ignored by the NCAA since as a redshirt you must wrestle unattached the entire redshirt year(dont go by the bracket if it does not say Unattached).

Heard about this a few weeks ago from a friend, wasn't sure if it was true at the time. Will he even be able to wrestle this year?

When was the surgery? Assuming torn labrum, recovery to get back to wrestling is long. If labrum and surgery was just recently, I doubt he'll be back before January.

Injuries suck. I hate it for any kid chasing his dreams.

If so, I couldn't be happier. I don't want that trash anywhere near this program, even if we have kids or coaches on the team that are cool with him.

I'd rather him win a championship elsewhere if he does.

I don't that's a concern at Iowa this year honestly, although it could make a difference in the dual with Rutgers. I was hoping Rutgers would beat Iowa - but it still could happen.

If so, I couldn't be happier. I don't want that trash anywhere near this program, even if we have kids or coaches on the team that are cool with him.

I'd rather him win a championship elsewhere if he does.
Reading Downey's tweets, he had nothing but good things to say about Rutgers Program..That being said, The prospects of us beating Iowa this year had me excited but now wit their addition of Downey I'm not so sure.

Reading Downey's tweets, he had nothing but good things to say about Rutgers Program..That being said, The prospects of us beating Iowa this year had me excited but now wit their addition of Downey I'm not so sure.

I could be wrong or not up to date with my info, but I thought Downey wasn't wrestling until the second semester which means he would not be wrestling when we face Iowa.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I could be wrong or not up to date with my info, but I thought Downey wasn't wrestling until the second semester which means he would not be wrestling when we face Iowa.

That is very possible given the number of transfers he's undertaken. Gravina might beat him anyway, though.

Reactions: dicemen99
That is very possible given the number of transfers he's undertaken. Gravina might beat him anyway, though.
Doesn't sound like Ash will even be wrestling for us then, if at all this season, so it's a loss. And how about Suriano....:grimace:

Would Ash get a 6th year if he's injured for the season?
IDK. Someone mentioned the details earlier that he wrestled the 1st 3rd of freshman year & then got injured & missed the rest of the season, but wrestled the NCO at the end of the season, so it may be tough. With our luck...

Doesn't sound like Ash will even be wrestling for us then, if at all this season, so it's a loss. And how about Suriano....:grimace:

Iowa is weak at 141 - or at least very beatable. Iowa is weak at 125 and 133 also. Stoll may or may not be back at 285 at that point. It starts looking very doable. Sorensen and Kemerer are tough, obviously, and 165 might be a tough out, but 174, 184 and 197 are not out of the question. It will be interesting, I think.

If Suriano doesn't stay at PSU, it's gonna be a big dogfight at nationals this year.

Correct he is not eligible until the 2nd semester. He needs a few more credits to graduate and then will be a graduate transfer in the 2nd semester.

. . . PSU has told us and for all intents and purposes has said NO. They said they support the current rule in place. NS will never return to PSU. He will go elsewhere if no waiver is granted.

. . . I also retract my "NS will never go back to PSU" earlier statement. After thinking about it, if NS does not get a waiver soon he will not come to RU. Therefore, he has no where else to go so he wants to wrestle and PSU is his only option. He returns to PSU and I will root for him whenever he wrestles

Slushead
I talk to him at every RZu practice!

Have fun for the rest of this saga.Listening to all of what is in Carl's mind, collusion, etc is just too much for me . . . I will enjoy watching and talking to Nicky at the SKWC practices for the rest of the summer until he probably returns to PSU. . . Enjoy the dialogue folks.

Suriano will not be back at PSU. Either RU or somewhere else.

For someone who talks to Suriano so much, your story certainly changes a lot. You've got all the bases covered, so no matter what happens, we can say you were right (I guess). :confused:

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Because it's a process and the situation is fluid. I'm sure that's not too difficult for people to understand. As new info is presented, thoughts changes, especially with college kids. Bill is reporting in real time, subject to the process. Bill is giving updates & even explicitly stating the changes...what more do you people want?? Geesh.

Let's see how this plays out.

Go RU!
Diane

Because it's a process and the situation is fluid. I'm sure that's not too difficult for people to understand. As new info is presented, thoughts changes, especially with college kids. Bill is reporting in real time, subject to the process. Bill is giving updates & even explicitly stating the changes...what more do you people want?? Geesh.

Go RU!
Diane

Very good explanation Diane. Bill is a straight shooter and as things develop , he has been kind enough to share.
By the way, are you guys back in the Green lot ? We got moved to the White lot. But we'll be walking back over to visit w Olde Queens Island and will stop and say hi . Only 13 days til kickoff !

Reactions: rondi

Go RU!
Diane

Exactly why he should avoid making such definitive statements.

Slushhead, you must mean the same for Worthy and of course, all our new friends here with their "opinions"....since you're calling people out.

Bill provides up to date info as the process unfolds. I enjoy & appreciate being enlightened, albeit it's like being on a roller coaster at times. I am also intelligent enough to understand it can change at any moment until an official announcement is made. If you don't appreciate it, you have options not to subject yourself to it.

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: obrats
Abro, yes, Ron & I will be in the Green lot. Does white lot still have the players' families tailgating there or did they move them? Heard white was a fun lot!

Go RU!
Diane

Thanks and appreciate your insight, Bill! People forget this is an RU BOARD and you're providing the info here...not going on their boards, let alone spewing nonsense, over and over ad naseum.

Let's see how this plays out...has to be settled soon.

Look forward to seeing and catching up with you soon, Bill.

Go RU!
Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT