ADVERTISEMENT

wrestling news

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeSanto gives himself a concussion in 3rd period of semi against JM.
Was down 3-2.....Scrambled, lift and returned JM to mat and hit his head. He was very shaken and MFF the rest of tourney (The TD would have given him a 4-3 lead).

DeSanto gives himself a concussion in 3rd period of semi against JM.
Was down 3-2.....Scrambled, lift and returned JM to mat and hit his head. He was very shaken and MFF the rest of tourney (The TD would have given him a 4-3 lead).
That sucks. Man that kid is fun to watch

Anyone see Nolf’s headlock from kneeling position to a pin in the Scuffle final? Kid is sick. He jumped the guy like a Cat.

Reactions: IsItLuck
Anyone see Nolf’s headlock from kneeling position to a pin in the Scuffle final? Kid is sick. He jumped the guy like a Cat.

Not sure if it was Zain or Nolf, but one of them had a kid pinned down by only using his legs. PSU just has a different mentality, you can tell those kids go out there to get bonus points. They go out there to get a fall. Zain, Nolf, Hall, Nickal and Rasheed straight up dominated kids at Southern Scuffle.

I despise Penn State, however, I have an appreciation for wrestling at the level those guys wrestled at this weekend. Unless the competition wasn't great at the scuffle, I was impressed.

Rider knocks off Princeton

Rider 21, Princeton 12
125- Matteo Devincenzo (PRIN) dec. J.R. Wert (RID), 5-3
133- Anthony Cefolo (RID) M. Dec. Jake Adkins (PRIN), 19-6
141- Tyson Dippery (RID) M. Dec. Pat D'Arcy (PRIN), 8-0
149- Matthew Kolodzik (PRIN) Dec. Gary Dinmore (RID), 3-1, 7:39 OT
157- Mike D'Angelo (PRIN) Dec. B.J. Clagon (RID), 9-3
165- Chad Walsh (RID) Dec. Jonathan Schleifer (PRIN), 9-3
174- Dean Sherry (RID) Dec. Matthew Gancayco (PRIN), 8-7
184- Michale Fagg-Daves (RID) Dec. Kevin Parker (PRIN), 9-8
197- Ethan Laird (RID) M. Dec. Ian Baker (PRIN), 12-2
285- Patrick Brucki (PRIN) Dec. Mauro Correnti (RID), 8-6

What the heck happened to Clagon? Came on like gang busters freshmen year, then fell off....big time.

Clagon is one of the streakiest wrestlers I've ever watched. was R12 last year and started off the season by beating Alec Pantaleo. he's since taken 5 losses. all to decent kids but that's gonna hurt his seeding, especially since the Pantaleo match won't count.

57kg: Frank PERRELLI

Great to see Delbarton's Frank Perrelli (via Hackettstown ! ) still going strong !

Nice article on the top 20 NJ HS wrestlers since 2000:

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/03/the_top_20_new_jersey_high_sch.html

PS- written last year before Nick Suriano transferred to RU. Noticed it linked on NJ wrestling forum in Facebook.

What a great article, seeing those names definitely brought some nostalgia, being that I went to every state tournament from 1998-2007. Due to health issues, my grandfather will be missing his first NJ State Wrestling tournament this year for the first time since 1974.

How is it that Tavoso is the 74 k rep? Nobody wanted to wrestle @Yarygin?How far down the list was he?
Tavoso and Stefanik are both Princeton wrestlers in Russia already training on a kind of cultural exchange program. They are not taking anyone's place on the team. Just add ons .

Yarygin is a tournament, not a dual meet. the US can send multiple entries per weight class. it's a point scoring tournament (for seeding purposes at the world championships) so each country is supposed to have a limit of 3 per weight (Russia will have 5 because it's Russia) but either way, Tavaso and Sefanik are not taking anyone's place or keeping any Americans from going.

Yarygin is a tournament, not a dual meet. the US can send multiple entries per weight class. it's a point scoring tournament (for seeding purposes at the world championships) so each country is supposed to have a limit of 3 per weight (Russia will have 5 because it's Russia) but either way, Tavaso and Sefanik are not taking anyone's place or keeping any Americans from going.
I get that,thx, so is Tavoso the best we can do @74?

Nice article on the top 20 NJ HS wrestlers since 2000:

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/03/the_top_20_new_jersey_high_sch.html

PS- written last year before Nick Suriano transferred to RU. Noticed it linked on NJ wrestling forum in Facebook.

That list reinforces my wonderment at how poorly the top NJ wrestlers have done at the collegiate level in this time period. Zero NCAA championships so far for the top five? Ashnault the only one to place? I'm sure Suriano will hit the podium during his career, but boy. It's a mystery to me that in such a competitive, single-class high school system that the top guys seem to come up empty at the collegiate level.

The guys that have done well (Valenti, Dubuque and Molinaro) fall outside that top 5, Valenti and Dubuque outside the top 10. It's a head scratcher to me.

That list reinforces my wonderment at how poorly the top NJ wrestlers have done at the collegiate level in this time period. Zero NCAA championships so far for the top five? Ashnault the only one to place? I'm sure Suriano will hit the podium during his career, but boy. It's a mystery to me that in such a competitive, single-class high school system that the top guys seem to come up empty at the collegiate level.

The guys that have done well (Valenti, Dubuque and Molinaro) fall outside that top 5, Valenti and Dubuque outside the top 10. It's a head scratcher to me.

A lot of it is specific circumstances. #5 Grey was a 2x AA but had injuries. #4 Camp was so far ahead of everyone athletically in HS but had some issues in college and lost/never was totally committed. #3 Winston was a physical specimen in HS but had injuries/lacked total commitment in college. I marvel at how hard it is to win multiple titles in Jersey. Some of Jersey’s best, Baumgartner and Burroughs won one HS title. I’m still blown away by the 2006 NJ HS State Championship winners. 1 Olympic Gold Medalist, 2 Olympians , 1 Olympic alternate, 4 NCAA champs. State champs that year were Burroughs, Molinaro, Darrion Caldwell and Zach Rey. Mike Grey, Scott Winston and Frank Perrelli (an excellent FS wrestler) also won titles that year.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Regarding the top 5 guys lack of collegiate success, I wonder if there was lack of interest / boredom from being so dominant in high school. Wrestling is a hard sport to be passionate about, its easy to burn out, physically and mentally.

I always thought Grey was overrated. I wasn't surprised when his style didn't transfer to college. Didnt he start off at Lehigh? Did he have issues cracking the line up there?

On the other hand, its not surprising Darien Caldwell was successful in college, he was an amazing wrestler in high school. Straight up, gifted athletically.

So, in summary, Suriano is by far the best technical wrestler out of the top 5 in my opinion and that list is ranked by wrestling accolades and not overall skill. It's just proof that there are certain styles of wrestling that are needed to be successful at the next level.

A lot of it is specific circumstances. #5 Grey was a 2x AA but had injuries. #4 Camp was so far ahead of everyone athletically in HS but had some issues in college and lost/never was totally committed. #3 Winston was a physical specimen in HS but had injuries/lacked total commitment in college. I marvel at how hard it is to win multiple titles in Jersey. Some of Jersey’s best, Baumgartner and Burroughs won one HS title. I’m still blown away by the 2006 NJ HS State Championship winners. 1 Olympic Gold Medalist, 2 Olympians , 1 Olympic alternate, 4 NCAA champs. State champs that year were Burroughs, Molinaro, Darrion Caldwell and Zach Rey. Mike Grey, Scott Winston and Frank Perrelli (an excellent FS wrestler) also won titles that year.

Baumgartner never won NJ State title. He took 3rd his senior year in 1978.

It shows you that there is no guarantee winning state titles equates success.Wrestlers are more technical now than before.Some of the wrestlers blossom in college and even do better.

It is not exact science but the right atmosphere and training makes a big difference.

Why is it that Jordan Burroughs and James Green both jersey boys did excellent at Nebraska? Obviously their style really meshed with the coaching staff.They do a great job in developing their talent.Hopefully we can do the same here in Jersey with the high recruits.

Reactions: CerealNTacos
I always thought Grey was overrated. I wasn't surprised when his style didn't transfer to college. Didnt he start off at Lehigh? Did he have issues cracking the line up there?

On the other hand, its not surprising Darien Caldwell was successful in college, he was an amazing wrestler in high school. Straight up, gifted athletically.

Freshman year of high school, Grey, Caldwell and Jimmy Conroy of South Plainfield were in the same weight class in region 3 and finished 1.2,3. Iirc, they finished 1,2,3 at states also and wound up only losing to each other during their high school careers. Edit - I was incorrect. Mattia from Belleville beat one of Conroy or Caldwell in 2003. Conroy got 3rd and Caldwell 4th that year while Grey beat Mattia in the finals. But I think that was the only loss taken outside the three of them.

The next season all three won (Conroy 103, Grey 112 and Caldwell119). The following season, Grey beat Conroy in the 119 finals and Caldwell won 130. Senior year, Grey again beat Conroy in the 119 finals and Caldwell won 152.

Hard to imagine that three freshmen would finish 1,2 and 3 at a single regional weight class and have so much success during their careers. Eight titles, two seconds, one third and one fourth between them.

I saw them in person at Union High school that year (2003) and feel blessed to have seen such excellence.

Last edited:
Freshman year of high school, Grey, Caldwell and Jimmy Conroy of South Plainfield were in the same weight class in region 3. Iirc, they finished 1,2,3 at states also and wound up only losing to each other during their high school careers. Edit - I was incorrect. Mattia from Belleville beat one of Conroy or Caldwell in 2003. Conroy got 3rd and Caldwell 4th that year while Grey beat Mattia in the finals. But I think that was the only loss taken outside the three of them.

The next season all three won (Conroy 103, Grey 112 and Caldwell119). The following season, Grey beat Conroy in the 119 finals and Caldwell won 130. Senior year, Grey again beat Conroy in the 119 finals and Caldwell won 152.

Hard to imagine that three freshmen would finish 1,2 and 3 at a single regional weight class and have so much success during their careers. Eight titles, two seconds, one third and one fourth between them.

I saw them in person at Union High school that year (2003) and feel blessed to have seen such excellence.
Legendary region 3 and weight class right there...

It shows you that there is no guarantee winning state titles equates success.Wrestlers are more technical now than before.Some of the wrestlers blossom in college and even do better.

It is not exact science but the right atmosphere and training makes a big difference.

Why is it that Jordan Burroughs and James Green both jersey boys did excellent at Nebraska? Obviously their style really meshed with the coaching staff.They do a great job in developing their talent.Hopefully we can do the same here in Jersey with the high recruits.

Absolutely. Right atmosphere and training make all the difference. There are D1 coaches who won't give the time of day to high schoolers who finished less than #3 in states, that's lazy recruiting and no way to build a program.

Reality is there is such a low number of D1 wrestling scholarships it's not too hard to find kids who placed in states who have no other real options. But then when those kids see competition in the room or have any challenges they can just leave because they have no scholarship$, and no real loyalty or attachment to the program.

Absolutely. Right atmosphere and training make all the difference. There are D1 coaches who won't give the time of day to high schoolers who finished less than #3 in states, that's lazy recruiting and no way to build a program.

Reality is there is such a low number of D1 wrestling scholarships it's not too hard to find kids who placed in states who have no other real options. But then when those kids see competition in the room or have any challenges they can just leave because they have no scholarship$, and no real loyalty or attachment to the program.
who are these coaches who wont give the time of day to high schoolers who finished lower than 3rd? did you just make that up?

who are these coaches who wont give the time of day to high schoolers who finished lower than 3rd? did you just make that up?

Sanderson, Cael
Brands, Tom

There are probably a few more. I mean Petite from Piscataway is a 2x state placer going into his senior year and is going to Buffalo. Granted we don't know the $ involved, but the "always qualify multiple weights" schools probably do have a threshold.

Sanderson, Cael
Brands, Tom

There are probably a few more. I mean Petite from Piscataway is a 2x state placer going into his senior year and is going to Buffalo. Granted we don't know the $ involved, but the "always qualify multiple weights" schools probably do have a threshold.

Yup, every year there are kids in the same situation as Petite. And it's not just the coaches at the top 10 schools, it's common. The problem is kids who won in HS often don't project to be successful in college due to physicality, work ethic, study habits, etc. Bottom line is you can recruit a HS all-star squad that never pans out.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
FakeNews..bunch a kids on PSU roster that never finished higher than 3rd in states. As a matter of fact 13 out of the 38 never placed higher than 4th

I'm sure the same at Iowa

And exactly how many of those are on any type of scholly?

FakeNews..bunch a kids on PSU roster that never finished higher than 3rd in states. As a matter of fact 13 out of the 38 never placed higher than 4th

I'm sure the same at Iowa

Yeah but the 10 starters averaged 2.7 state titles per wrestler. Yikes.

Reactions: koleszar
And exactly how many of those are on any type of scholly?

I have no idea, just like no one does since that information isn't public record. Regardless that wasn't why I responded. Someone said Cael and Brands don't give kids the time of day with kids that don't place top 3 at states. That's totally false and it didn't take me much time to look that up

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT