ADVERTISEMENT

Yeboah vs Eugene, what the advanced stats say

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

making this for my friends @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG who apparently dont know how to look up past games and watch them. So instead we’ll show them numbers. By the way highly suggest going back and watching RU vs Stony Brook on 12/22/2017 to see what Yeboah did vs Eugene guarding one another all game. Eugene 1 point 4 boards in 29 minutes. Yeboah 21 points 6 boards in 23 minutes while in foul trouble.

Here is what the advanced numbers say,

1) Player efficiency rating: slight edge Yeboah

2) Effective field goal %: edge yeboah

3) 3 point attempt rate: HUGE edge yeboah. Aka we’ll be able to spread the floor. 47% of yeboahs shots came from 3 (and still had a better e fg % than eugene despite putting up so many 3’s) while only 14% of eugenes attempts came from 3.

4) free throw attempt rate: edge eugene. Eugene got to the line at a high clip per shot attempted which is naturally the case since majority of his shots are coming around the rim while yeboah takes a lot of 3’s. Yeboah did overall attempt one less FT per game though and was around 80% from the line whereas eugene was 70%.

5) offensive and defensive rebound %. Eugene grades out slightly better on offensive rebound % which is again naturally the case as yeboah is attempting nearly half his shots from 3 land. Whereas on the defensive end Yeboah grades out as a better defensive rebounder as on that end of the floor hes always guarding a forward ad around the rim to pull boards down

6) as far as defensive stats go yeboah averaged nearly double the blocks per game than eugene and averaged slightly more steals per game.

7) turnover %: eugene turned the ball over at a higher clip per 100 possessions than yeboah

8) usage %: was about the same with a slight edge to yeboah. This stat is used to draw out what % of plays a team runs goes through the subject player

9) offensive win share and defensive win share and overall win share: an estimate of how many wins a player contributes due to his offense, defense and overall. Edge to yeboah in every single category.

So before @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG say “wellllllll ya know he did this against inferior competition” heres some stats for you. In 2017-2018 in q1 and q2 games (all on the road btw) yeboah averaged 18.25ppg and 6.75 rpg. In 2018-2019 in q1 and q2 games, again all on the road, he averaged 21ppg and 6 rpg. He actually performed his best against better competition

making this for my friends @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG who apparently dont know how to look up past games and watch them. So instead we’ll show them numbers. By the way highly suggest going back and watching RU vs Stony Brook on 12/22/2017 to see what Yeboah did vs Eugene guarding one another all game. Eugene 1 point 4 boards in 29 minutes. Yeboah 21 points 6 boards in 23 minutes while in foul trouble.

Here is what the advanced numbers say,

1) Player efficiency rating: slight edge Yeboah

2) Effective field goal %: edge yeboah

3) 3 point attempt rate: HUGE edge yeboah. Aka we’ll be able to spread the floor. 47% of yeboahs shots came from 3 (and still had a better e fg % than eugene despite putting up so many 3’s) while only 14% of eugenes attempts came from 3.

4) free throw attempt rate: edge eugene. Eugene got to the line at a high clip per shot attempted which is naturally the case since majority of his shots are coming around the rim while yeboah takes a lot of 3’s. Yeboah did overall attempt one less FT per game though and was around 80% from the line whereas eugene was 70%.

5) offensive and defensive rebound %. Eugene grades out slightly better on offensive rebound % which is again naturally the case as yeboah is attempting nearly half his shots from 3 land. Whereas on the defensive end Yeboah grades out as a better defensive rebounder as on that end of the floor hes always guarding a forward ad around the rim to pull boards down

6) as far as defensive stats go yeboah averaged nearly double the blocks per game than eugene and averaged slightly more steals per game.

7) turnover %: eugene turned the ball over at a higher clip per 100 possessions than yeboah

8) usage %: was about the same with a slight edge to yeboah. This stat is used to draw out what % of plays a team runs goes through the subject player

9) offensive win share and defensive win share and overall win share: an estimate of how many wins a player contributes due to his offense, defense and overall. Edge to yeboah in every single category.

So before @bac2therac and @Greene Rice FIG say “wellllllll ya know he did this against inferior competition” heres some stats for you. In 2017-2018 in q1 and q2 games (all on the road btw) yeboah averaged 18.25ppg and 6.75 rpg. In 2018-2019 in q1 and q2 games, again all on the road, he averaged 21ppg and 6 rpg. He actually performed his best against better competition

I sincerely hope that we can all move forward and just root for our team...the players wearing the R.

Level of competition is the primary thing that makes it so hard to compare the two players.

Stony Brook's SOS rating was 308th out of 353, while Rutgers' was 28th. That's a massive difference, and it's not possible to understand the extent to which that will impact his performance. Your Q1/Q2 stat isn't really meaningful, because he didn't face a single team ranked better than 70th in kenpom last year, while half our schedule was ranked better than that.... not all Q1 teams are created equally.

Level of competition is the primary thing that makes it so hard to compare the two players.

Stony Brook's SOS rating was 308th out of 353, while Rutgers' was 28th. That's a massive difference, and it's not possible to understand the extent to which that will impact his performance. Your Q1/Q2 stat isn't really meaningful, because he didn't face a single team ranked better than 70th in kenpom last year, while half our schedule was ranked better than that.... not all Q1 teams are created equally.

While that may be correct, there isn't any stat of comparing that is going to convince anyone that a player is "better"....I don't have any doubts that some fans are going to believe Eugene is and will always be a better player.

I have maintained that RU is a better program with a better shooter, passer that does things better at the 4 position than what we were getting from Eugene on both offense and defense. RU's win percentage and stat line is better from a won-loss perspective when Eugene had less than 10 shot attempts, in the games that mattered the most.....The B1G games, which were against the competition we have to recruit, compete, matchup with for 20+ games each season.

Eugene was at full speed and as healthy as he was before the Ohio State game and RU was not as effective with him as the number 1 option.

I am not advocating elevating Yeboah to the #1 option where Eugene was in the front court. I don't care if Yeboah averages less PPG and less RPG, as long as the RU program, spreads shot attempts out and gets the players shots, within the flow of the offense. Eugene stopped the ball, more than anyone else and that is the biggest explanation for his PPG vs not.

I have no idea how this season will play out, except we have 2 legitimate post players in Shaq Carter and Myles Johnson, that should have more opportunites in the low post, with Eugene out of the way. The only concern I have is the abilities of Shaq Carter to make a proper pass, IF he is double teamed and forced to give up the ball. I dont have those concerns as much with Myles Johnson, he's an excellent passer.

If Harper and Yeboah become our "go-to" players on post ups, because they're the best Free Throw shooters, the good news would be that Mulcahy, Young, Mathis, Baker, and McConnell can all get some offense off the dribble-drive, if the ball goes from the post, back to them. When the ball landed in the post with Eugene, he was a sometimes willing face up shooter but more of an up and under and passer when doubled. 3 Turnovers a game is a LOT, for a player that isn't a guard.

The 3 things I would look at with Yeboah would be taking better shots, ball movement and not becoming a perimeter version of Eugene, where he gets the ball and shoots it....I don't anticipate that happening, where at Stony Brook, he was the #1 option.

Sure. But as a soph (and keep in mind hes progressively got better and better each year) @michigan state he scored 15 points and shot 3/6 from 3. Against Maryland as a soph same deal went 3/6 from 3 and went for 15 and 6. For perspective what did eugene do against those teams as a soph? As a soph @MSU eugene had 6 points and 4 boards. As a soph vs maryland eugene had 11 points. Keep in mind that teams also keyed in on yeboah, they didnt key in on eugene and yeboah still outperformed him. Again, just trying to give objective apples to apples numbers

Reactions: Scangg
In 2018-2019 in q1 and q2 games, again all on the road, he averaged 21ppg and 6 rpg. He actually performed his best against better competition

You're basing that off of literally 4 games (well 3, since you missed the home game vs. Vermont):

Q1: @69 Vermont
Q2: vs.69 Vermont, @79 South Carolina, @83 South Florida

@Vermont: 10 pts, 11 rb
vs.Vermont: 10 pts, 4 rb
@SCarolina: 24 pts, 11 rb
@USF: 19 pts, 2 rb

We played 19 of our 31 games against teams with a NET ranking of 55 or better, and 23 of 31 against Q1/Q2 teams. That's a totally different world.

Reactions: RUMassAlum
Sure. But as a soph (and keep in mind hes progressively got better and better each year) @michigan state he scored 15 points and shot 3/6 from 3. Against Maryland as a soph same deal went 3/6 from 3 and went for 15 and 6. For perspective what did eugene do against those teams as a soph? As a soph @MSU eugene had 6 points and 4 boards. As a soph vs maryland eugene had 11 points. Keep in mind that teams also keyed in on yeboah, they didnt key in on eugene and yeboah still outperformed him. Again, just trying to give objective apples to apples numbers

Still further challenges to comparison.... to get some comparable Yeboah games to anything we played last year, you have to grab a very small number (which is statistically shaky) and reach back into the farther past (which isn't a valid basis of comparison, since we know that Omoruyi had above average growth between seasons - while Yeboah's growth was more incremental).

I'm not saying Yeboah won't be a great player, or that he won't thrive in a higher pressure environment - just that you can't really use his past performance statistics to show that.

While that may be correct, there isn't any stat of comparing that is going to convince anyone that a player is "better"....I don't have any doubts that some fans are going to believe Eugene is and will always be a better player.

I have maintained that RU is a better program with a better shooter, passer that does things better at the 4 position than what we were getting from Eugene on both offense and defense. RU's win percentage and stat line is better from a won-loss perspective when Eugene had less than 10 shot attempts, in the games that mattered the most.....The B1G games, which were against the competition we have to recruit, compete, matchup with for 20+ games each season.

Eugene was at full speed and as healthy as he was before the Ohio State game and RU was not as effective with him as the number 1 option.

I am not advocating elevating Yeboah to the #1 option where Eugene was in the front court. I don't care if Yeboah averages less PPG and less RPG, as long as the RU program, spreads shot attempts out and gets the players shots, within the flow of the offense. Eugene stopped the ball, more than anyone else and that is the biggest explanation for his PPG vs not.

I have no idea how this season will play out, except we have 2 legitimate post players in Shaq Carter and Myles Johnson, that should have more opportunites in the low post, with Eugene out of the way. The only concern I have is the abilities of Shaq Carter to make a proper pass, IF he is double teamed and forced to give up the ball. I dont have those concerns as much with Myles Johnson, he's an excellent passer.

If Harper and Yeboah become our "go-to" players on post ups, because they're the best Free Throw shooters, the good news would be that Mulcahy, Young, Mathis, Baker, and McConnell can all get some offense off the dribble-drive, if the ball goes from the post, back to them. When the ball landed in the post with Eugene, he was a sometimes willing face up shooter but more of an up and under and passer when doubled. 3 Turnovers a game is a LOT, for a player that isn't a guard.

The 3 things I would look at with Yeboah would be taking better shots, ball movement and not becoming a perimeter version of Eugene, where he gets the ball and shoots it....I don't anticipate that happening, where at Stony Brook, he was the #1 option.

And I agree with most of that - since you're basing that off of factors not related to comparative performance statistics. Comparing stats between the two isn't going to yield much valid discussion because it's almost like comparing Varsity vs. JV stats based on the huge disparity in the level of competition faced.

You're basing that off of literally 4 games (well 3, since you missed the home game vs. Vermont):

Q1: @69 Vermont
Q2: vs.69 Vermont, @79 South Carolina, @83 South Florida

@Vermont: 10 pts, 11 rb
vs.Vermont: 10 pts, 4 rb
@SCarolina: 24 pts, 11 rb
@USF: 19 pts, 2 rb

We played 19 of our 31 games against teams with a NET ranking of 55 or better, and 23 of 31 against Q1/Q2 teams. That's a totally different world.
Ya know what, didnt realize vermont was a q1 or 2 didnt count them. More or less was looking at 7 games vs q1 and q2 power conference opponents

And I agree with most of that - since you're basing that off of factors not related to comparative performance statistics. Comparing stats between the two isn't going to yield much valid discussion because it's almost like comparing Varsity vs. JV stats based on the huge disparity in the level of competition faced.
What if I told you yeboah pretty much dominated eugene in an open run at the RAC in April before he committed? I heard he made eugene look stupid. Eugene couldnt keep up with him and couldnt score on him.

Also, yeboah did NOT talk shit to eugene, hes not a talker from what im told. Hes just a lunch pale kid who goes out and gets the job done quietly and lets his play do the talking.

Reactions: vilo and Scangg
Ya know what, didnt realize vermont was a q1 or 2 didnt count them. More or less was looking at 7 games vs q1 and q2 power conference opponents

4 SB games last year were Q1/Q2, not 7. Their team sheet is on page 156 of this link: https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/Final 2019 MBB Team Sheets.pdf

What if I told you yeboah pretty much dominated eugene in an open run at the RAC in April before he committed? I heard he made eugene look stupid. Eugene couldnt keep up with him and couldnt score on him.

Also, yeboah did NOT talk shit to eugene, hes not a talker from what im told. Hes just a lunch pale kid who goes out and gets the job done quietly and lets his play do the talking.

Someone tell you that at Subway? :p

Seriously, though, it's not entirely surprising given that Omoruyi was playing most of the season sub-80% and reinjured his left knee on March 2nd against Iowa.

Again, though, I'm excited about Yeboah - I think he'll be a great piece for us, and I don't see him as a "replacement" for Omoruyi. He was a great added part before Omoruyi left, and would have made a great tandem with him. I still think he's a great piece and a great fit for the team, and now we have to also deal (separately) with the loss of Omoruyi.

Trying to contort stats to compare the two players isn't useful, though, imo, because they were playing two entirely different levels of competition. It's entirely possible Yeboah didn't line up last year against a single PF that would see significant minutes at that spot in the B1G. Really hoping he rises to the occasion.

Lol at you refusing to watch games of yeboah or look at stats and instead just whining like a grandmother

I thought Rutgers played Stony Brook in 2017 when Freeman was here which means he would have been matched up with Yeboah.

Last edited:

I can pull up the South Carolina - Stony Brook game on Youtube, but I can't find the full Stony Brook vs Rutgers game link. Can you provide the link again?

Reactions: dkostus and Scangg
I thought Rutgers played Stony Brook in 2017 when Freeman was here which means he would have been matched up with Yeboah.

Omoruyi played 29 min that game, with a lot of it at the 5 alongside Freeman - we went small to try to match up better with SB (who started guys that were 5-11, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-7 and only got 16 min from the one guy who was taller than 6-8 at 6-11).

Our two bigs vs. their two in that game:
Freeman (6-7, 220): 33 min, 20 pts, 6 rb
Omoruyi (6-7,234): 29 min, 1 pt, 4 rb

Sturdivant (6-7, 225): 31 min, 9 pts, 3 rb
Yeboah (6-6, 235): 23 min, 21 pts, 6 rb

I don't remember the game well enough to know who was guarding who.

I gotta watch him play more. My buddy sided with you @kyk1827 but we had a nice back and forth about some of the advanced metrics.

By the talk on this board you would never know that Eugene and Yeboah shot the same percentage from 3 last year.

Yeboah was .21% better in effective FG percent.

Yeboah was 2% better in turnover rate.

Eugene was very bad from 3 in conference and with the three point line moving back I expect he will be worse. I expect the same with Yeboah, who shot 27% from 3 in the conference play in the AEC. Either way I think spacing the floor will improve naturally with the rule change.

It’s great yeboah has gotten better each year but when comparing the two players I wouldn’t tout that as EO has as well and actually improved much quicker pace.

Yeboah will fill the gap Eugene left so we are lucky (using lucky loosely as it was more than luck we landed Yeboah) to have him and shouldn’t miss too much in terms of production. But it would be great to have both of them.

I gotta watch him play more. My buddy sided with you @kyk1827 but we had a nice back and forth about some of the advanced metrics.

By the talk on this board you would never know that Eugene and Yeboah shot the same percentage from 3 last year.

Yeboah was .21% better in effective FG percent.

Yeboah was 2% better in turnover rate.

Eugene was very bad from 3 in conference and with the three point line moving back I expect he will be worse. I expect the same with Yeboah, who shot 27% from 3 in the conference play in the AEC. Either way I think spacing the floor will improve naturally with the rule change.

It’s great yeboah has gotten better each year but when comparing the two players I wouldn’t tout that as EO has as well and actually improved much quicker pace.

Yeboah will fill the gap Eugene left so we are lucky (using lucky loosely as it was more than luck we landed Yeboah) to have him and shouldn’t miss too much in terms of production. But it would be great to have both of them.
Eugene attempted 164 less 3 point attempts (LOL) and was 14-45 on the year including 6-7 from 3 in his first 2 games of the year vs FDU and Drexel. he completely became irrelevant from 3 afterwards shooting 8-38 for the rest of the year, or in other words 21% after the first 2 games. I take yeboah and I think pike won't admit it but he will too. Pike can now run this team this year alot more to what he's always wanted to do, run and gun and ball movement. Something that eugene wouldn't allow for

Because they aren't really comparable.

Overall:
Omoruyi: 14/45 (.311), 1.6 3PA/game
Yeboah: 66/209 (.313), 6.5 3PA/game

When you only take 45 threes in a year and just 1.6 per game (less in conf play), you're not really in the conversation as a three point shooter. Justin Goode shot .308, too, on 12/39 (1.3 attempts/game) - but you'd wouldn't really put him in the conversation in comparison to actual shooters.

Both EO/AY were hampered by injury this season, though. In the run up to their knee injuries, both in their 14th games (Omoruyi after 7 min, Yeboah after 3):
Omoruyi: 12/33 (.364), 2.4 3PA/game
Yeboah: 33/85 (.388), 6.1 3PA/game

Then after their knee injuries:
Omoruyi: 2/12 (.167), 0.9 3PA/game
Yeboah: 33/124 (.266), 7.8 3PA/game

Omoruyi was starting to develop into more of a shooter before his injury (2.4 attempts per game) but quickly abandoned it one he was hurt (0.9 attempts per game).

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I can pull up the South Carolina - Stony Brook game on Youtube, but I can't find the full Stony Brook vs Rutgers game link. Can you provide the link again?
you have to subscribe to BTN plus. It's like $119/year. It's the best money I spend every year

4 SB games last year were Q1/Q2, not 7. Their team sheet is on page 156 of this link: https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/Final 2019 MBB Team Sheets.pdf

Someone tell you that at Subway? :p

Seriously, though, it's not entirely surprising given that Omoruyi was playing most of the season sub-80% and reinjured his left knee on March 2nd against Iowa.

Again, though, I'm excited about Yeboah - I think he'll be a great piece for us, and I don't see him as a "replacement" for Omoruyi. He was a great added part before Omoruyi left, and would have made a great tandem with him. I still think he's a great piece and a great fit for the team, and now we have to also deal (separately) with the loss of Omoruyi.

Trying to contort stats to compare the two players isn't useful, though, imo, because they were playing two entirely different levels of competition. It's entirely possible Yeboah didn't line up last year against a single PF that would see significant minutes at that spot in the B1G. Really hoping he rises to the occasion.
the 7 I was referring to was over 2 seasons fyi. I'll just say this, would I like to have both of them? yes. I think we could use eugene for 18-20 minutes a night IF he became a team player and wasn't deshawn freeman 2.0 again. If I had to pick one who do I pick? I pick Yeboah every single time, and pike would too but he won't say that publicly because that's not his style

Omoruyi played 29 min that game, with a lot of it at the 5 alongside Freeman - we went small to try to match up better with SB (who started guys that were 5-11, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-7 and only got 16 min from the one guy who was taller than 6-8 at 6-11).

Our two bigs vs. their two in that game:
Freeman (6-7, 220): 33 min, 20 pts, 6 rb
Omoruyi (6-7,234): 29 min, 1 pt, 4 rb

Sturdivant (6-7, 225): 31 min, 9 pts, 3 rb
Yeboah (6-6, 235): 23 min, 21 pts, 6 rb

I don't remember the game well enough to know who was guarding who.
I watched the entire game yesterday. Yeboah took eugene all game except for about 4 minutes or so in the first half when he was on freeman. He erased eugene

Exactly. These stats have very little value given the huge discrepancy in competition between Eugene and Yeboah.

Exactly. These stats have very little value given the huge discrepancy in competition between Eugene and Yeboah.
but again, my point is look at how yeboah did against p5 competition and q1 and q2 competition. There is full game videos you can watch

Those were isolated games against top-tier competition. We said the same thing about Kiss who had great games against SHU and Gonzaga. But, he was a non-factor night after night in the Big 10. It is much more difficult to consistently shine against superior comp. Not saying Yeboah won't. Only saying that it is not a given just because he a had a few good games against top competition.

Those were isolated games against top-tier competition. We said the same thing about Kiss who had great games against SHU and Gonzaga. But, he was a non-factor night after night in the Big 10. It is much more difficult to consistently shine against superior comp. Not saying Yeboah won't. Only saying that it is not a given just because he a had a few good games against top competition.
The "Peter Kiss was a non-factor" idea seems to have firmly rooted in everyone's minds. The kid transferred from Quinnipiac to the toughest league in the country and played 18/mpg and was our 5th leading scorer, behind:
(1)Gene (now an irreplaceable God to all the cynics, because he left);
(2) Geo (actual leader of the team and all-B1G honorable mention by the coaches and media);
(3) Mathis (oddly dismissed by fans almost as much as Kiss because they're all shot doctors and don't like his form);
(4) Harper, Jr. (Loved by all the fans for his late surge and being a Jersey boy, I'll admit I love him too.)

Kiss also had some huge plays late in the season in great wins, despite people grouping him in this Thiam/Kiss minutes trope.

So when evaluating Yeboah, maybe remember that Kiss was most certainly a factor for the team, still has 2 years of eligibility, and is actually not a very good comparison to the Yeboah GRAD-TRANSFER situation at all.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeboah consistently shoots the 3 well. Go back the two years before and he shot 34 and 35% and was at almost 39% before he got hurt last year.

EO did have a good stretch of 3's to start the season last year, but that was a small sample size against terrible competition as our OOC schedule was very weak. You can't knock Yeboah's schedule and discredit his play then give credit to EO for shooting 3's early in the year against lesser teams

If you think EO and Yeboah are similar as 3 point threats then you're either an EO fan for life or struggle mightily with player evaluation

the two players couldn't be any more different.

The "Peter Kiss was a non-factor" idea seems to have firmly rooted in everyone's minds. The kid transferred from Quinnipiac to the toughest league in the country and played 18/mpg and was our 5th leading scorer, behind:
(2) Geo (actual leader of the team and all-B1G honorable mention by the coaches and media);
(3) Mathis (oddly dismissed by fans almost as much as Kiss because they're all shot doctors and don't like his form);
(4) Harper, Jr. (Loved by all the fans for his late surge and being a Jersey boy, I'll admit I love him too.)

Kiss also had some huge plays late in the season in great wins, despite people grouping him in this Thiam/Kiss minutes trope.

So when evaluating Yeboah, maybe remember that Kiss was most certainly a factor for the team, still has 2 years of eligibility, and is actually not a very good comparison to the Yeboah GRAD-TRANSFER situation at all.

Kiss wasn't a "non-factor", but his production definitely went down after stepping up in competition - and that was after a redshirt year.

Overall:
Quinnipiac: 29.8 min, 13.3 pts, 6.5 rb, 2.8 ast, 2.9 tov, 1.8 pf
RU OOC: 23.6 min, 8.5 pts, 2.9 rb, 1.4 ast, 1.5 tov, 1.5 pf
RU B1G: 15.3 min, 4.7 pts, 1.9 rb, 0.6 ast, 0.7 tov, 1.2 pf

Adjusted on a per 40 min basis:
Quinnipiac: 17.9 pts, 8.7 rb, 3.8 ast, 3.9 tov, 2.4 pf
RU OOC: 14.4 pts, 4.9 rb, 2.4 ast, 2.5 tov, 2.5 pf
RU B1G: 12.2 pts, 5.0 rb, 1.6 ast, 1.8 tov, 3.1 pf

I agree, though, that the situation isn't really comparable to Yeboah because there was just one season to go on for Kiss while we have three seasons to go on for Yeboah. Still, there's no telling how Yeboah will perform stepping into a league that is harder nearly every night than even the toughest teams he faced in his prior season.

Kiss wasn't a "non-factor", but his production definitely went down after stepping up in competition - and that was after a redshirt year.

Overall:
Quinnipiac: 29.8 min, 13.3 pts, 6.5 rb, 2.8 ast, 2.9 tov, 1.8 pf
RU OOC: 23.6 min, 8.5 pts, 2.9 rb, 1.4 ast, 1.5 tov, 1.5 pf
RU B1G: 15.3 min, 4.7 pts, 1.9 rb, 0.6 ast, 0.7 tov, 1.2 pf

Adjusted on a per 40 min basis:
Quinnipiac: 17.9 pts, 8.7 rb, 3.8 ast, 3.9 tov, 2.4 pf
RU OOC: 14.4 pts, 4.9 rb, 2.4 ast, 2.5 tov, 2.5 pf
RU B1G: 12.2 pts, 5.0 rb, 1.6 ast, 1.8 tov, 3.1 pf

I agree, though, that the situation isn't really comparable to Yeboah because there was just one season to go on for Kiss while we have three seasons to go on for Yeboah. Still, there's no telling how Yeboah will perform stepping into a league that is harder nearly every night than even the toughest teams he faced in his prior season.
The difference here is Kiss shot 27% from 3 at Quinnipiac. I was one of the few who wasn't really impressed with his tape but thought maybe I was missing something. I did fall for the praise Pike gave him where at one point he said Kiss was the best shooter on the team before last season.

Yeboah has years of tape and stats consistently hitting 3's at a much higher clip except for a stint last season post injury. There is much more reason to expect Yeboah to be able to come in and perform compared to Kiss

Reactions: RUChoppin

A 3 pointer made in the America East conference is the same distance as a 3 pointer made in the B1G....I think.....

Kiss stats translated exactly as they did in the MAAC from 3...he actually shot better from 3 at RU than he did at Quinnipiac.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4070686/peter-kiss

He played 10 less minutes per game overall from season to season. The question about "stats", still comes down to mobility, dribble, pass, shoot, score, defend, rebound, footspeed and Yeboah is better across the board.

He doesn't need to average what Eugene does, because there's just one basketball and ideally RU has 4 or maybe 5 kids in double figures most nights.

I would argue that better shot selection, better players, passers and rebounders around Yeboah would make him a better player than what he showed at Stony Brook.

The level of competition is a factor....but the level of teammates that Yeboah has surrounding him here also matters....OR do we only look at it from the negative side of things.???

Fair point. "Non-factor" was an exaggeration. But especially in conference play, Kiss was nowhere near as effective as Eugene or anything like his effectiveness at Qunnipiac, where he was the leading scorer. So, the same may apply to Yeboah. That is my point.

A 3 pointer made in the America East conference is the same distance as a 3 pointer made in the B1G....I think.....

C'mon Hawk. You know better than that. Try getting your 3-point shot off with Cassius Winston covering you, as compared to Jarvis Nobody from U. of Maryland Baltimore County!

They appear to be similar players in a lot of respects but Eugene was the closest we had to a vocal leader on the court. It’s intangibles like this and his warrior mentality that I think the team could miss most. Until he quit on his team, I thought he exemplified the “captain” role more than any other player. Hopefully, someone is ready to step into that role. I really didn’t see a candidate for it last season although I could Mulcahy stepping up at some point in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT