ADVERTISEMENT

Young or Mulcahy?

Sure.. his height will get them up on him to defend his 3... anyone can use that with some ball movement. I do not think he can take a true point purely off the dribble.. but he doesn't have to.

Also, I cannot judge his "handle" yet.. but think of how Dooby got around guys. Not the most explosive athlete with quick first step.. he had a good handle and used the defender's motion against him. He was a clear threat from three.. off the dribble.. and he would show the defender the ball and get him to move with it as he dribbled.. then came a nice cross-over and he had the edge... the leverage to attack.
Interesting comparison with Douby. But isn’t Paul more of a set shooter? Douby doesn’t need a lot of room with his shot and we ran multiple screens to get him that space.

I’ll admit Mulcahey exceeded my expectations. He saw the court well, he distributed, he looked confident. He also communicates very well on D (I sit just off the court and could hear him assertively calling help and picks to his teammates). With that said, the reason he exceeded my expectations is that they were low because I didn’t think he would be ready for the speed of the game. While he played spirited D he did get caught on picks, he went underneath and not over too many screens and as a result was sometimes chasing his man... this was Bryant (BIG guards will be bigger, stronger and at least as fast as the Bryant smalls).

He also twice passed up wide open shots in the lane and dished to teammates... I really liked his passing but both of these times the short open shot would have been the best choice vs over passing. He is young and showing his teammates he will feed them.

My initial take on PM is that we got a good smart player that will make his teammates better and will be a solid 4 year contributor for us. His biggest challenge will be playing D against very talented BIG guards and I’m hopeful with his skills and smarts he exceeds my expectations here too. I’m looking forward to his growth.

Reactions: BillyC80
Good points. I watched the game a second time and focused on our D. He did get screened out on one of Bryant’s treys, but otherwise his defense was pretty good.

The first half, whenever he was in the game we were playing zone. There was a play where he dropped down to help out and nobody rotated over to the area he vacated, so he had to run back out on a shooter and was late.

Later in the second half we were in man D and he stayed with his man pretty well. He’ll get better.

Btw, Bryant had 13 treys, and at different times I saw Geo, Jacob, Ron and Caleb all get temporally lost on D and then run out too late on one of Bryant’s made threes. So Paul played his role on D pretty well, even when compared to those guys.

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT