ADVERTISEMENT

Your thoughts on a new baseball coach ?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Anyone hearing any names that would be interested ? Should we look at current staff, a top New Jersey high school coach, an assistant at a top college program, a head coach at a mid Major with experience at a top program ? Any former Rutgers players that are coaching for good teams in college or maybe minor league baseball? Hire the Frazier family and wait for Todd to retire ? If a good coach demands that we have a plan in place to build a real college baseball stadium before he accepts the job, can Pat say yes ?

Reactions: biazza38
Mr Twister, not saying a coach from a minor school can’t up his game,but I don’t see any playing or coaching at a major school. And yes, I know Coach Pike came from a minor school but he was at a UConn when they were a very major school.

We need someone who knows what it is like at big baseball programs. Remember, we need more than a really good on field coach. He has to almost build a program from scratch,know how to recruit,get good assistants,get New Jersey high schools involved with the program,help get a stadium built, maybe schmooze with big donors,get high school and amateur tournaments on campus, run camps around the state, and lots of things I can’t even think of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Matt, I don’t want to go that route either. Just throwing ideas out there. It might not be easy and we probably would need to increase the salaries, but I would love to see us go after a young but we’ll respected coach from the Big 12 or SEC, who can gather good assistants. New Jersey ties, or at least guys who are somewhat familiar with the state would help. No matter who, few good recruits will come here until we have a plan to build a college stadium.

Matt, I don’t want to go that route either. Just throwing ideas out there. It might not be easy and we probably would need to increase the salaries, but I would love to see us go after a young but we’ll respected coach from the Big 12 or SEC, who can gather good assistants. New Jersey ties, or at least guys who are somewhat familiar with the state would help. No matter who, few good recruits will come here until we have a plan to build a college stadium.
Hopefully that HC requests a real baseball stadium in the negotiation period.

CLEAN HOUSE. Period. No offense to anyone currently on staff but it’s time to start fresh.

I am not at all opposed to this. Cundari does seem like a talented coach. I hate the multiple pitcher starts. If a head coach is cool with keeping him I dont think it would be a bad idea. especially since he is a certified performance coach and therapist.

I think we should be looking for a coach with a resume like the softball coach. Very good player, coached at a major program had success at a smaller school, that was worse in the seasons before hire.

I think the assistant coach at vandy should be a top choice. He is a bit different, however he has a great track record. The west chester coach is a legitimate option. The uconn coach. The st. johns coach is probably too old and might not leave. Darren fenster is an interesting option of an alum who is coaching. Though I think we really need an experienced college coach.

Would like to see an actual press conference when the hire is announced,maybe even at the new Shea. Have former Rutgers MLB players at the press conference— Eric Young, David DeJesus, maybe even Todd in uniform if the Mets are home. Don’t know if Jeff Torborg is able to get around much with his Parkinson’s,but would be great if he can. We need to show kids Rutgers can be a path to the pros, as we have done with football.

Mr Twister, not saying a coach from a minor school can’t up his game,but I don’t see any playing or coaching at a major school. And yes, I know Coach Pike came from a minor school but he was at a UConn when they were a very major school.
Consider Vanderbilt’s Associate Head Coach Scott Brown, formerly pitching coach at St. John’s for nine years, and all-time Morris County NJ great Karl Nonemaker (Roxbury HS), Assistant Coach at Auburn.

https://vucommodores.com/coaches.aspx?rc=524&path=baseball

https://auburntigers.com/staff.aspx?staff=1409

Last edited:
Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Would like to see an actual press conference when the hire is announced,maybe even at the new Shea. Have former Rutgers MLB players at the press conference— Eric Young, David DeJesus, maybe even Todd in uniform if the Mets are home. Don’t know if Jeff Torborg is able to get around much with his Parkinson’s,but would be great if he can. We need to show kids Rutgers can be a path to the pros, as we have done with football.

LOL !

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
regarding the stadium, I know we need many things. However nothing is worse than our baseball field we have a single worst facility in all of college baseball. That includes any division. It is a high school facility. If we cant build a real stadium, not a field, then we should pursue playing at the somerset patriots facility or something like that. To get a real grandstand with a press box, lights and a decent lockeroom
Consider Vanderbilt’s Associate Head Coach Scott Brown, formerly pitching coach at St. John’s for nine years, and all-time Morris County NJ great Karl Nonemaker (Roxbury HS), Assistant Coach at Auburn.

https://vucommodores.com/coaches.aspx?rc=524&path=baseball

https://auburntigers.com/staff.aspx?staff=1409
I agree. I wasnt sure about an assistant in general. However if we should definitely have him as one of the top choices. I understand going with a smaller school head coach if that is the coach. If we go the non head coach brown is a great choice. The other candidate is interesting as well.

Mr Twister, good info. Both fairly young and experience at big time baseball programs, but also at two local schools, Monmouth and Saint Johns so they must have at least a little familiarity with RU.

I've never understood why we don't play at least SOME games at Somerset Patriots stadium. There's even a Rutgers night there
Not having that stadium built here was beyond incompetent. I know it isnt ideal. However, I would think it would be a big step up to at least play a portion of the schedule there. Also not bad to have scouts and coaches, even at that level see our players. I could see that helping as a pitch. I dont know what it would cost however if we arent going to build a real stadium basically immediately that should at least be considered.

The Yankees triple a pitching coach. Has a son that is a freshman at Columbia. Has family in the area. Classy guy and coach. With his connections I would go along out and get this guy.

Sorry if I missed it, but did the current coach get fired? $$$$

Sorry if I missed it, but did the current coach get fired? $$$$
Not yet, but he has no business being back next year. It took Hobbs about 5 days to dismiss the women's lax coach, I'm thinking Litterio will be gone the Friday afternoon before the Memorial Day Weekend.

Scott Brown would be a homerun. Went to Montclair State for a year before transferring to Cortland. St. John’s coach as well so he knows the area. He is arguably the best pitching coach there is though so I am sure he would not be cheap. Probably not possible.

Columbia has an excellent coach, but B1G baseball being what it is, he may not see coming to Rutgers from the Ivy League as a step up...

His contract is up from what I've heard. Keeping Litterio would make absolutely no sense given his body of work thus far. Also I know for a fact he's regarded as a joke within NJ baseball circles. This program will not improve with him leading it. That much has been proven

His contract is up from what I've heard. Keeping Litterio would make absolutely no sense given his body of work thus far. Also I know for a fact he's regarded as a joke within NJ baseball circles. This program will not improve with him leading it. That much has been proven
Come on. You can’t make comments like this without giving more information. People at training facilities? High school coaches? Other college coaches? Coach’s results and lack of team improvement are enough reason to look for another coach, without taking potshots at him.

Come on. You can’t make comments like this without giving more information. People at training facilities? High school coaches? Other college coaches? Coach’s results and lack of team improvement are enough reason to look for another coach, without taking potshots at him.

I would like to hear the details as it has been mentioned by multiple people. That said given his resume why would he be regarded as anything else?

Not going to get into specifics but I’ve heard stories of poor recruit treatment, lackluster work ethic on the recruiting trail, and not empowering his staff to make decisions. Cundari has helped the pitching staff tremendously and he will be the reason recruits come here, certainly not Litterio

Litterio has also always had an excuse for why he didn’t succeed. First it was a team that weren’t his “guys”, then it was he needed more money for coaches, then it was we need a culture change, then it was we are really young. All for a guy who never accomplished anything that would qualify him for a B1G head gig.

He simply snuck into this role when he knew Moose was losing it and the administration at the time treated the hiring process like it was a little league team. Keeping him would be worse than keeping Donigan in Soccer.

Reactions: rutpsychward
Not going to get into specifics but I’ve heard stories of poor recruit treatment, lackluster work ethic on the recruiting trail, and not empowering his staff to make decisions. Cundari has helped the pitching staff tremendously and he will be the reason recruits come here, certainly not Litterio

Litterio has also always had an excuse for why he didn’t succeed. First it was a team that weren’t his “guys”, then it was he needed more money for coaches, then it was we need a culture change, then it was we are really young. All for a guy who never accomplished anything that would qualify him for a B1G head gig.

He simply snuck into this role when he knew Moose was losing it and the administration at the time treated the hiring process like it was a little league team. Keeping him would be worse than keeping Donigan in Soccer.
All seems correct. I think one of the biggest things is lack of effort as mentioned. He waits for a lot of top recruits or top prospects to already be committed like he isnt in line with baseball recruiting. That or he simply inst putting in the work to identify and get commitments early on. Obviously when we are talking about so many coaches and trainers, some are going to have decent things to say. However, it seems that he is unusually and disproportionately disliked or not respected. That is just unacceptable for a big ten head coach.

The excuses are no surprise. Just like ash. We need to hire a proven coach who is going to recruit top recruits and find good potential. There is no reason with a top coach why we cannot return to being a ncaa contender. The fact that making conference tournament has become anything other than a basic expectation and we dont contend to make the ncaa tournament is a joke. We should be a top notch program in the top half consistently of our conference.

we do desperately need a real stadium.

You crack me up bro.

Give me a single reason that he should be given a new contract OTHER THAN “money.” Just like all the other coaches Hobbs has decided not to bring back, upon end of contract and due to lack of success, he should make the move here as well.

BTW - I’m not the only one in this thread, or other threads, or all season long, saying that he should be fired. Pick on someone else dammit HAHAHAHA!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rucoe89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT