Coaching Carousel 2015 4/16 update

derleider

Legend
Jan 3, 2003
As of right now 38 D1 schools are looking for new coaches this season

As seen on this map

NCAABB_041615.png

There is 1 opening: Louisiana Tech

6 coaches hired from outside of the current college coaching ranks: Holy Cross, Penn, Mississippi State, Charlotte, Saint John's, Alabama

14 assistant coaches hired from another D1 team: Illinois-Chicago (Indiana), Nevada (LSU), East Tennessee State (Wichita State), DePaul (Tulsa), Utah Valley (BYU), San Diego (New Mexico), Liberty (Virginia), Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (Cal), Northern Kentucky (Alabama), Eastern Kentucky (Minnesota), Hawaii (Saint Mary's), Chattanooga (Florida), VMI (Navy), Bowling Green (Miami [Fl]), Alcorn State (Bethune-Cookman), Kennesaw State (Bryant)

8 head coached hired from another D1 school: Fordham (Eastern Kentucky), Bradley (Green Bay), Citadel (VMI), George Mason (Bucknell), Texas (VCU), VCU (Chattanooga), Arizona State (Buffalo), Florida (Lousiana Tech)

1 fired HC hired by another D1 school: Tennessee (Texas), Southeast Missouri State (Mississippi State)

1 assistant promoted from within: Utah State, Buffalo

3 college HCs hired from outside D1: Arkansas-Little Rock (D2:Angelo State), Green Bay (D2: Florida Southern), Bucknell (D2: Randolph-Macon)

Last edited:
Re: Coaching Carousel 2015

BC retreads will rule the east -- Donohue back to the Ivy at Penn and Al Skinner to Holy Cross?

Originally posted by 78CollegeAve:
BC retreads will rule the east -- Donohue back to the Ivy at Penn and Al Skinner to Holy Cross?
I hope AL Skinner gets another chance he was unfairly treated at BC and their program has never been the same since.

Originally posted by Russ Wood:
Will Wade to Charlotte

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Wade made substantial contributions to VCU's ascension some years ago. As an accomplished assistant at VCU, he had interest in the Rutgers job after Mike Rice.

Since I left work yesterday Northern Kentucky (who knew this was a team) and San Diego (not UC-San Diego, or San Diego State) fired their coaches.

Penn hired Cornell. Still waiting on confirmation of Wade to Charlotte.

didn't he leave Cornell several years ago to coach BC?

Pecora out at Fordham...this may be a worse job than Rutgers. They never ever should have moved to the A10, have they ever not finished in the bottom 4. IMO they need to go back to the MAAC with like schools that they can compete against. They do not belong in the A10

Jon Severe may revisit his options with Pecora now out at Fordham.....my guess is he stays and sticks around to see who replaces Pecora.

Hawk...I didn't pay attention, how did Severe do at Fordham this year? Very strange move by him going there, he could have seen a lot of time this year at RU and in the future on a much bigger stage

bac....he's a volume shooter there and got suspended to start the season and was reinstated at the start of conference play after I think was a minor injury.

He wound up not starting a lot of the games, but wound up playing a lot of minutes anyway, I think they tried to use him as a "microwave" type of player, where when he entered games, he was pretty much aware he was in the game to score....he improved dramatically in February, but shot selection is very spotty but it could be because of the talent around him and the fear that if he didn't push up shots, they would lose anyway.

I honestly probably saw parts of about 6 of Fordham games over the year but I would obviously feel more comfortable with him spotted up with a Corey Sanders pushing the ball in transition, vs asking Severe to be a primary ball handler and then asked to score.....I don't think his game would have complimented Mack because Myles was asked to do more than he should have with starting the offense.

I think Sanders is not a PG, but his game looks more explosive and can get to the rim easier and it should open up chances for Mike Williams, Goode and if Severe landed here after next year, he would be able to score.

I don't know who Fordham will take a look at coaching wise, but it appears to be someone they need to identify quickly.....would not shock me to see former RU assistant Darren Savino get a long look there or elsewhere a a lower level D1 program looking for a spark in recruiting or energy.

Originally posted by paddyo:
didn't he leave Cornell several years ago to coach BC?
Yep. How did I miss that. I guess mentally I just figured there was no way a coach from an ACC team would leave to go to an Ivy school, but I guess he was on his way out the door anyway because BC has sucked.

Listening to the guys on XM today it sounds like Alabama is going to do in hoops what they do in football. "Here is the check coach, fill in the amount." They also will be updating their facilities for the new coach.

Originally posted by huskersalways:
Listening to the guys on XM today it sounds like Alabama is going to do in hoops what they do in football. "Here is the check coach, fill in the amount." They also will be updating their facilities for the new coach.
I read they want to pay someone Billy Donovan type money. No lie.

This post was edited on 3/18 7:30 PM by Aggs

Originally posted by Aggs:

They also think Tom Crean will be the main target. Not sure I get that one but there must be some connection.

Originally posted by Aggs:

They also think Tom Crean will be the main target. Not sure I get that one but there must be some connection.
Crean met and became close to Nick Saban when he was the coach at Michigan State, apparently.

This post was edited on 3/18 7:38 PM by Aggs

Arkansas-Little Rock fired their coach and Holy Cross is going to hire Bill Carmody who has been out of the game since he left NW.

This post was edited on 3/19 8:55 AM by derleider

Heard Andy Toole with Francesa today, great interview, his wife is a big Duke Fan, go figure! Said he wouldn't be married if JJ reddick was around. He is well spoken and seems to be a great motivator, He will end up at a bigger job after this season..maybe Fordham, maybe SHU or another that opens up..or maybe if we're lucky he stays at RM for another year or two before RU becomes potential... I think he is a star in waiting.

Yes he is. He took over for Rice when Rice took the RU job. Rice played a large role in making sure Andy was hired as his replacement. Rice knows him from the NJ camp scene, hoop group in Neptune. I don't see their connection hurting his future job prospects.

Add Miss St opening, letting go of Rick Ray

2 big opening in sec, Bama and Miss State

Originally posted by MCKnight2004:
Add Miss St opening, letting go of Rick Ray

2 big opening in sec, Bama and Miss State
Ray got three years at Miss State. Not sure how many years he had left on his deal but give the school credit for addressing the situation if they did not think he had the chops. Regarding Alabama, Anthony Grant was a pretty good hire for them off a successful run at VCU. Not sure why he was not more successful there. Money talks but you wonder if any BBall coach can turn Saban's large shadow into a positive.

no video tape of RMU practices from 6 years ago. So Toole may be clear.

Im sure all that happened here happened there

I would not be surprised that St.Johns looks for a new head coach because its been a long time since they have won a NCAA game.

St. John's disappointed again with Lavin... He hasn't recruited well since this class, which now graduates, wouldn't be surprised if they move on, St. John's is a tough gig, but not as tough as RU

Just for the record... There is no opening at BC... SD did not leave BC for Penn. He was fired by BC at the end of last season.

Originally posted by ruman:
Ray went 37-60 (three seasons averaging 12-20) - thats not good
What our guy's record gonna be at the end of the next year? Probably similar right?

Originally posted by MCKnight2004:
Ben Howland seen as favorite for miss state, according to Jeff goodman
Ben Howland should be coaching here.

Bradley fired their coach yesterday.

Also, the FSU poster is of course correct. Steve Donahue was not coaching at BC, or anywhere else this past season.

Originally posted by ruman:
Ray went 37-60 (three seasons averaging 12-20) - thats not good
Ray went just 13-41 (.241) in 3 years of SEC Conf Games...as even coaches like him can "fluff up" some wins in easy non-conf schedules (he was 24-19 in non-conf games).

Almost all AD's judge Coaches in football and basketball against conf play...as those games are against "like" schools with usually some of the same resource levels and exposure....vs games "hand picked" by coaches in non-conf play (most of which are against lesser schools/programs).

Howland to Mississippi State...per Goodman.

Ugh, great hire.

Looks like Illinois-Chicago is set to make the first hire of guys that are currently coaching in CBB. They are going to hire the associate HC from Indiana.

Kennesaw State looks like they are letting their HC go after just one year (he was promoted from the interim tag last season) and SE Mo State is also letting their coach go.

These thigns also seem to have some region that is really heavily having new coaches - this year its Illinois - so far four teams in Illinois plus SEMo which is right across the river.

Rumors are Herb Sendek out at ASU. The hot name being circulated is Josh Pastner.

Originally posted by knightinaz:
Rumors are Herb Sendek out at ASU. The hot name being circulated is Josh Pastner.
Its official. Also Alcorn State is letting its coach go.

Here is the statement from the AD at ASU. Sendek got an extension last year thru 2019 so the line about donors making this a revenue neutral decision means they came up with millions to cover the buyout.

Statement from Ray Anderson, ASU Vice President for University Athletics:

I have informed Herb Sendek that he will not be retained as the head men's basketball coach at Arizona State University. This has not been an easy decision for me. Herb has been a tremendous asset to this university and a pillar of our community, and his tenure over the past nine years has helped shift the direction of this program.

We have a four-prong approach when it comes to evaluating all of our head coaches: integrity, academics, performance, and fan affinity advancement. Herb has been a true leader in the first two categories and his dedication to ensuring our student-athletes become successful young men has been unrivaled.

However, our athletics department, university and community expect our men's basketball program to compete consistently for Pac-12 titles, make regular trips to the NCAA Tournament, keep the best in-state talent, and energize our fans and donors. Unfortunately, we have fallen short of these expectations.

We are committed to turning Sun Devil men's basketball into an elite program and creating an unmatched atmosphere within Wells Fargo Arena.

Our national search for a new head coach begins immediately, but we will take our time and be deliberate in securing a leader that is the best fit for the program and our university. The change will not impact Sun Devil Athletics' operating budget as a result of paying Herb's contract. A budget-neutral solution has been developed with assistance of donor contributions.

This search will begin a new era in our men's basketball program that we expect will have a very bright future.

For more information regarding Sun Devil Athletics, please visit www.thesundevils.com

The rumor down in this area is that Alabama is very interested in Wichita State's Gregg Marshall.

Northern Kentucky and Kennesaw State are both in the Atlantic Sun with Florida Gulf Coast. I went to a handful of KSU games this year and it was quite painful to watch most of the time. So, between KSU and RU....a lot of bad basketball. KSU has placed the interim tag on assistant David Rivers, who was perhaps the first big name player from St. Anthony's.

Will Freddy Hill go back with Carmody who is now at Holy Cross? There is the chance that Willard and his entire staff could be gone in a year if they don't produce a very good season next year. Freddy might be smart to jump ship now as most SHU fans don't think next year will be much better. Most seem to have no faith in Willard getting it done.

ASU on the surface appears to be a great job. I know Phoenix is a big Pro community but their football program does well and it's a great campus.

I wonder why it doesn't happen there. Sendek is a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT