ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

I thought arnuts banned here?

96 yanks? This is a Mets thread. Casting....I thought arnuts was banned on this site?

I'm sorry but what's your problem? First off, I've been back for a long time now, sorry if that bothers you. Second, I simply used the 96 Yanks (and 3 other teams, The Marlins, Angels, and Red Sox, as well) as an "example," is that a problem too? Geeze.

Anyone that doesn't think baseball is a chemistry game has never played a schedule of more than 2 games a week. These guys play almost every single day for 6 months...it is a grind. If you don't think the adrenaline of chemistry doesn't get your senses just a little bit sharper, then I don't know what to tell you.

115 club seasons. 40 WS appearances. That's an appearance every 2.875 seasons. You subtract the 22 seasons before we played in our first World Series and it's an appearance every 2,325 seasons.

These are FACTS, and nothing "moronic" about them, sorry.
Nuts, every time a Yankee fan mentions how many WS appearances and titles the Yankees have, I always ask,how many were you around for, and or were old enough to remember? It always closes the gap to maybe 11-5 in some cases, and in most cases 7-5, not much different, and hardly something to make Met fans feel inferior.

Last edited:
Nuts, every time a Yankee fan mentions how many WS appearances and titles the Yankees have, I always ask,how many were you around for, and or were old enough to remember? It always closes the gap to maybe 11-5 in some cases, and in most cases 7-5, not much different, and hardly something to make Met fans feel inferior.

I don't know the exact cause, but I do know that Mets fans have a HUGE inferiority complex.
I can't say how much of it is World Series appearances in my lifetime, how much of it is World Championships, how much of it is Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig. Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, etc., etc., etc.,etc. or how much of it is how long it's been since 1986.
I mean thirty years IS a long time.
And the Metsies do play in the same town as the greatest franchise in sports history.
Still can't deal with it, huh ?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I don't know the exact cause, but I do know that Mets fans have a HUGE inferiority complex.
I can't say how much of it is World Series appearances in my lifetime, how much of it is World Championships, how much of it is Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig. Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, etc., etc., etc.,etc. or how much of it is how long it's been since 1986.
And the Metsies do play in the same town as the greatest franchise in sports history.
Lol,Like I said, how many were you around to see play? Maybe Mantle, that's it, and probably at the end of his career, when he was a shell of what he was. The Stankees have also been around about 50 years longer, so sure,no doubt, there's more history. Like I said, in most cases, 7-5 in WS appearances, and yes, I can deal with that. It wasn't that long ago, the Metsies, owned this town, and there were tumble weeds blowing around Stankee Stadium. Oh bring back the days of Horace Clark, since your naming legendary Stankees of all time.

Let's be honest, Mets fans have a huge inferiority complex because their team is inferior. Pretty simple. Except for a few years in the 80s, they are always overshadowed - in terms of success and overall fan interest.

But hey, we are RU fans, so we all know how it goes.

Lol,Like I said, how many were you around to see play? Maybe Mantle, that's it, and probably at the end of his career, when he was a shell of what he was. The Stankees have also been around about 50 years longer, so sure,no doubt, there's more history. Like I said, in most cases, 7-5 in WS appearances, and yes, I can deal with that. It wasn't that long ago, the Metsies, owned this town, and there were tumble weeds blowing around Stankee Stadium. Oh bring back the days of Horace Clark, since your naming legendary Stankees of all time.
The Yanks have won 7 WS championships in the past 40 years and the Mets only 1. Counting "appearances" is for losers.

Since 1961, the year I was born the breakdown of World Series appearances are;

15- NY Yankees
9- St. Louis Cardinals
8- LA Dodgers
6- Cincy Reds, SF Giants, Baltimore, Boston, A's
5- Mets, Phillies
4- Tigers, K.C., Atlanta
3- Twins
2- Pirates, Padres, Toronto, Cleveland, Marlins, Texas,
1- Brewers, Arizona, Angels, White Sox, Astros, Rockies.
0- Tampa, Seattle, Nationals and of course the lovable Chicago Cubs

Being in the World Series 27% of my lifetime is pretty impressive no matter what team you are a fan of.

That's just dumb. When I talk about the great players in Rutgers history, I'm definitely gonna mention Paul Robeson...although I never saw him play. When I talk about the great players from my old high school (South River) I'm gonna mention Alex Wojciechowicz even though I never saw him play.
And only a Mets fan would wanna crow about how many times they made it to the World Series....not how many World Championships they won. You must also be a Buffalo Bills fan.
So go ahead. It's OK for you to brag on Marv Throneberry and Choo Choo Coleman.

You are not good if you lose to the Phillies twice in the same week
Based on the above comment, I can only conclude that either you enjoy being an annoyance, or you don't understand major league baseball.

As this is a sports board, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Not sure why it matters "how many was I around for"? Should I discount Ranger and Giant titles won prior to my birth as well? Now, with that being said, I've been "around" for 11 WS which comes out to, in my lifetime, a WS appearance a little over every 4 years.

Last edited:
Huh?? Made the playoffs.
He's confused. Haters hate facts!
Both Mets and Yankees have teams that SHOULD compete for the playoffs this year. Whether they both will is another story. If we based it on this weeks performance (which would be dumb), the Mets are not looking too good, but it is far too early to make judgments. Yes, the Phillies series was tough to watch, and last night was no fun either. Better to lose now than in August/September. So let's hope it is an early season slump for the Mets. Yankees have started of the season relatively well, and Sabathia looked decent in his outing.

The 1-game play-in game shutout loss?

Yanks couldn't hit all season.
No matter if you win in the playoffs or lose in the playoffs, it's still making the playoffs? Correct? The 2015 Yankees won 87 games last year and won a wild card spot. You can't say they "stunk"
You bash the Mets, you bash the Yankees. You sure are a miserable one! Who is your team?

Just a heads' up, but figure the Mets fans to wake up after the Metsies "wake up" during back-to-back series next week vs. the MLB teams ranked last (Philly) and next-to-last (Braves) by ESPN.
One can't help but wonder what percentage of their schedule the fortuitous Amazins get to play vs. the two worst teams in MLB ?

Just a heads' up, but figure the Mets fans to wake up after the Metsies "wake up" during back-to-back series next week vs. the MLB teams ranked last (Philly) and next-to-last (Braves) by ESPN.
One can't help but wonder what percentage of their schedule the fortuitous Amazins get to play vs. the two worst teams in MLB ?

38 of 162. Same as last year the NL East was freain' awful.

No matter if you win in the playoffs or lose in the playoffs, it's still making the playoffs? Correct? The 2015 Yankees won 87 games last year and won a wild card spot. You can't say they "stunk"
You bash the Mets, you bash the Yankees. You sure are a miserable one! Who is your team?

For Yankees standards, it was a bad season.

For Yankees standards, it was a bad season.

Making the playoffs is NEVER a bad season. Disappointed in not faring better? Yes, I'll give you that, but not a "bad" season by any stretch (and were picked to finish at the bottom of the division by many in the pre-season).

38 of 162. Same as last year the NL East was freain' awful.
Yeah but Washington and Miami get to beat up on the same teams. So from the standpoint of winning the division, the intra-divisional schedule is a non-issue. It only comes into play if the Mets have to rely on the wild card.

Making the playoffs is NEVER a bad season. Disappointed in not faring better? Yes, I'll give you that, but not a "bad" season by any stretch (and were picked to finish at the bottom of the division by many in the pre-season).

I still don't consider the 1-game play-in game shutout loss in front of a sparse crowd "the playoffs".

I still don't consider the 1-game play-in game shutout loss in front of a sparse crowd "the playoffs".
Sparse?? 50,113 is sparse?? And it's not a play in game. It was a post season game. A play in game is when two teams are tied at the end of the season and have to play an extra game. I really hope your not a real Yankee fan because you are embarrassing the rest of us who are.

Not sure why it matters "how many was I around for"? Should I discount Ranger and Giant titles won prior to my birth as well? Now, with that being said, I've been "around" for 11 WS which comes out to, in my lifetime, a WS appearance a little over every 4 years.
Of course it matters,being a part of the "ride", the feel of triumph after winning it all, is what being a fan is all about. Your exactly the Yankee fan I'm talking about.Did you get the same joy about the Yankees winning the WS in say 1947, as you did in 1977 after being smoked in 1976? Of course not,it's just a stat, a footnote in Yankee lore. That's my point, don't use how many this, or how many that a team or program won, if you didn't take part in the "ride". It makes you look foolish.

15- NY Yankees
9- St. Louis Cardinals
8- LA Dodgers
5- Mets, Phillies
4- Tigers, K.C., Atlanta
3- Twins

Being in the World Series 27% of my lifetime is pretty impressive no matter what team you are a fan of.

I'm not nitting you at all on this and I'm not getting involved in the Met/Yankee BS even though I'm a Yankee fan, but I think Tampa made a World Series and lost to the Phillies in 2008 didn't they? Just want to give the Rays their due - lol.

Sparse?? 50,113 is sparse?? And it's not a play in game. It was a post season game. A play in game is when two teams are tied at the end of the season and have to play an extra game. I really hope your not a real Yankee fan because you are embarrassing the rest of us who are.

Their play on the field the last 3 seasons is embarrassing

Of course it matters,being a part of the "ride", the feel of triumph after winning it all, is what being a fan is all about. Your exactly the Yankee fan I'm talking about.Did you get the same joy about the Yankees winning the WS in say 1947, as you did in 1977 after being smoked in 1976? Of course not,it's just a stat, a footnote in Yankee lore. That's my point, don't use how many this, or how many that a team or program won, if you didn't take part in the "ride". It makes you look foolish.

Okay so from now on, when talking about The Yankees to my friends and family, I will be sure to say "hey, we've won 7 WS in our history!"....talk about "sounding foolish"...com'on now lol!

15- NY Yankees
9- St. Louis Cardinals
8- LA Dodgers
5- Mets, Phillies
4- Tigers, K.C., Atlanta
3- Twins

Ok you were born in the year they won,which was the second year of a nice 5 straight years in the WS. I could argue you really didn't know who or what you liked by 1964. By 1976, no doubt your a full fledged long time Yankee fan who enjoyed the ride,but I'd beg to differ you remember anything about the 1961-1964 run,so I think your 27% is slightly tainted.

I'm not nitting you at all on this and I'm not getting involved in the Met/Yankee BS even though I'm a Yankee fan, but I think Tampa made a World Series and lost to the Phillies in 2008 didn't they? Just want to give the Rays their due - lol.
You are correct. I was doing this at work. Damn people interrupting trying to buy beer while I'm trying to collect stats. And I'm not part of the Mets vs Yankees scrum but was interested in what the numbers were in my lifetime. I was surprised that the Dodgers were behind the Cardinals and the Phillies had 5. When you look back at actual results it comes back but off the top of my head I was off in those two teams

Last edited:
Okay so from now on, when talking about The Yankees to my friends and family, I will be sure to say "hey, we've won 7 WS in our history!"....talk about "sounding foolish"...com'on now lol!
Lol, no, say in YOUR lifetime, and then you could talk about how great it was, and memories about key plays and calls,that would be accurate. I'm not saying the Yankees only won 7 WS in their history, just YOURS.

Lol, no, say in YOUR lifetime, and then you could talk about how great it was, and memories about key plays and calls,that would be accurate. I'm not saying the Yankees only won 7 WS in their history, just YOURS.

Of course, however, that doesn't mean I can't discuss the ENTIRE history of the Yankees (just because I wasn't born yet...) and accept those titles just as I do the ones they've captured since being born. The entire thought process behind this, IMHO, is tad odd but, hey, you're more than welcome to it.

Last edited:
You are correct. I was doing this at work. Damn people interrupting trying to buy beer while I'm trying to collect stats. And I'm not part of the Mets vs Yankees scrum but was interested in what the numbers were in my lifetime. I was surprised that the Dodgers were behind the Cardinals and the Phillies had 5. When you look back at actual results it comes back but off the top of my head I was off in those two teams
Cardinals are a great organization.

Ok you were born in the year they won,which was the second year of a nice 5 straight years in the WS. I could argue you really didn't know who or what you liked by 1964. By 1976, no doubt your a full fledged long time Yankee fan who enjoyed the ride,but I'd beg to differ you remember anything about the 1961-1964 run,so I think your 27% is slightly tainted.
I can argue I have lived with Yankee memories for many years before I was born. My Uncles were huge Yankees fans and my childhood was a time they shared many stories about the Yankees after they returned from the war. My parents, my dad a Giants fan, my Mom a Dodgers fan were at Don Larsen 's perfect game. My mom was smart enough to keep her ticket stub and program. A proud item I owned for many years until I passed it on to my nephew, who was at David Wells perfect game.
I did say my lifetime not my actual memories of being there. However my memories from my family of the great Yankees begins long before I way born.
I do remember the 67 team vividly. I was 6 and although I couldn't read the entire paper I could read a box score. I knew every player on the team, their number, batting average...etc. One of my uncles for my 6th birthday gave me a small transistor radio. My birthday is in April and I used that radio every game through that season. Sometime staying up on night games way past my bedtime listening to games with the radio hidden under my pillow.
I was being conservative by only starting the year I was born.

Last edited:
Of course, however, that doesn't mean I can't discuss the ENTIRE history of the Yankees (just because I wasn't born yet...) and accept those titles just as I do the ones they've captured since being born. The entire thought process behind this, IMHO, is tad odd but, hey, you're more than welcome to it.
I agree with everything you just said,odd, maybe on my part, but I've been called worst,lol.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I can argue I have lived with Yankee memories for many years before I was born. My Uncles were huge Yankees fans and my childhood was a time they shared many stories about the Yankees after they returned from the war. My parents, my dad a Giants fan, my Mom a Dodgers fan were at Don Larsen 's perfect game. My mom was smart enough to keep her ticket stub and program. A proud item I owned for many years until I passed it on to my nephew, who was at David Wells perfect game.
I did say my lifetime not my actually memories of being there. However my memories from my family of the great Yankees begins long before I way born.
I do remember the 67 team vividly. I was 6 and although I couldn't read the entire paper I could read a box score. I knew every player on the team, their number, batting average...etc. One of my uncles for my 6th birthday gave me a small transistor radio. My birthday is in April and I used that radio every game through that season. Staying up on night games way past my bedtime listening to games with the radio hidden under my pillow.
I was being conservative by only starting the year I was born.
All very valid points, and I too, grew up surrounded by Uncles and cousins who shared many sports stories, so I fully get your points. I was born in 1955,and have plenty of memories from 1960 on in all sorts of sports. One of my most vivid was going to Monmouth Park with a couple of my Uncles and cousins at an early age, and watching one of my Uncles cursing so bad at the horses and jockeys, that by I'm going to say the 4th race, we had the whole section to ourselves,lol. When we get together till this day and remember him, we all lose it laughing at how funny it was watching him,in fact, he was the spitting image of Eddie Mush from the Bronx Tale.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
All very valid points, and I too, grew up surrounded by Uncles and cousins who shared many sports stories, so I fully get your points. I was born in 1955,and have plenty of memories from 1960 on in all sorts of sports. One of my most vivid was going to Monmouth Park with a couple of my Uncles and cousins at an early age, and watching one of my Uncles cursing so bad at the horses and jockeys, that by I'm going to say the 4th race, we had the whole section to ourselves,lol. When we get together till this day and remember him, we all lose it laughing at how funny it was watching him,in fact, he was the spitting image of Eddie Mush from the Bronx Tale.
Don't get me started on Monmouth Park... if they let us we would have buried my dad there. I'm a huge horse race fan because of him. My first trip to MP was with my dad to see the great Forego. Who lost but I was hooked from that day on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT