ADVERTISEMENT

OT:LET'S GO METS

Span and Desmond would be nice free agent pick ups.....

I'd bat Span leadoff and move Grandy down the order to the 3 hole where he can drive in 80-90 runs.....

Man, everyone stole my CF fire but I am going to pile on anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

CF with 90+ RBI last season: Andrew McCutchen 96, Mike Trout 90

CF with 20+ HR last season: Mike Trout 41, Adam Jones 27, Joc Pederson 26 (but he hit .210), McCutchen 23, AJ Pollock 20

CF with a .350+ OBP last season: Trout .402, McCutchen .401, Pollock .367, Yelich .366 (.116 ISO, no thank you!), Eaton .361, Cain .361

Heyward is a very talented OF but he only played 51 innings in CF last year. He is more of a RF. He hasn't really developed his power. I don't know about a six year deal for him.

As a Mets fan I have one final request of Mr. Wilpon. Please move Jackie Robinsons picture from Citi Fields entrance, he was never a Met dam it!! I want to see Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Cleon Jones, Dwight Gooden.

To Hudson: I'll back off on D' Arnaud because he may be able work on his defensive skills. I agree with you he has a good rapport with the young pitchers and he does make contact with the ball. But will you meet me half way and agree in upgrading the SS position, respectfully asking D. Wright to retire and paying for a better CF and 3rd basemen. Should the Mets put Matz on the market to see what they could get for him?

No one can dispute that in this World Series great hitting beat great pitching. The Royals bats clearly dominated our great young pitchers. Should we trade for some clutch hitters?

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown
Here's a quick summary of the Mets financial picture for next year:

1) They have five players under contract, totaling $60M:
Wright $20M
Granderson $16M
Cuddyer $12.5M
Niese $9M
Lagares $2.5M

2) They have 11 arbitration eligibles: Carlyle, Duda, Edgin, Familia, Harvey, Mejia, Recker, Reed, Tejada, Torres, and Young. They will definitely make qualifying offers to Duda, Familia, and Harvey -- and probably to Reed and Tejada. Figure those five will cost somewhere between $20-25M. So that gets us up close to $85M for 10 players.

3) They have nine unrestricted free agents, the majority of whom were midseason rentals: Blevins, Cespedes, Clippard, Colon, Johnson, Murphy, O'Flaherty, Parnell, and Uribe. I wouldn't be shocked if none of them are back.

4) IF none of the FA's come back, and only five of the arbitration eligibles come back, that means we need 15 inexpensive players. Let's say they cost $10M in total.

SO... unless a couple of guaranteed contracts get moved, the MINIMUM payroll size we are talking about is $95M. There's not a whole lot of available spending money. If they resign Cespedes, he will take it all.

Lastly, the above analysis does not contemplate locking up some of the young arms long term, which would be more costly now, but might be prudent in the long run.

They have nine unrestricted free agents, the majority of whom were midseason rentals: Blevins, Cespedes, Clippard, Colon, Johnson, Murphy, O'Flaherty, Parnell, and Uribe. I wouldn't be shocked if none of them are back.

Blevins is an interesting case since he never pitched for them and is a left-hander. But I don't know that I'd say he'll be back.

Mike Trout is busy...

We'd all love a centerfielder who would be among the 3 best in baseball.

Your hard-on for d'Arnoud is wildly misplaced.

He is a .300 hitting catcher with + power who calls a great game. He frames pitches well. He has a below average arm. There are 1-2 5 tool catchers in all of baseball. Who are you getting that is better?
Agreed. d'Arnaud's offensive production in the post-season was crummy, but he spent a big chunk of the season on the DL, so I'm not sure he was totally healthy. Normally, he's a top tier hitting catcher, might be the best in the game at calling/framing for the pitchers, great at making plays at the plate, but just plain bad at throwing runners out. He can get better (although he'll never be great) at the last one, but the first three things more than make up for the last one.

Wright $20M
Granderson $16M
Cuddyer $12.5M
Niese $9M
Lagares $2.5M

2) They have 11 arbitration eligibles: Carlyle, Duda, Edgin, Familia, Harvey, Mejia, Recker, Reed, Tejada, Torres, and Young. They will definitely make qualifying offers to Duda, Familia, and Harvey -- and probably to Reed and Tejada. Figure those five will cost somewhere between $20-25M. So that gets us up close to $85M for 10 players.

3) They have nine unrestricted free agents, the majority of whom were midseason rentals: Blevins, Cespedes, Clippard, Colon, Johnson, Murphy, O'Flaherty, Parnell, and Uribe. I wouldn't be shocked if none of them are back.

4) IF none of the FA's come back, and only five of the arbitration eligibles come back, that means we need 15 inexpensive players. Let's say they cost $10M in total.

SO... unless a couple of guaranteed contracts get moved, the MINIMUM payroll size we are talking about is $95M. There's not a whole lot of available spending money. If they resign Cespedes, he will take it all.

Lastly, the above analysis does not contemplate locking up some of the young arms long term, which would be more costly now, but might be prudent in the long run.

1) Right plus the guys on entry level deals.

2) Agreed, although I'd say definitely on Reed.

3) They'll resign Blevins because he's good and can get him cheaper than they would have thanks to injuries. I think there's a decent chance some combination of Johnson, Uribe and Colon will be back. Cespedes, Clippard, Murph, O'Flaherty and Parnell are goners.

4) If the rumors are true the Wilpons are willing to inflate the payroll from this year's $99 Million to $115 to 125 Million next year, that gives them some options and some breathing room. Admittedly not a lot of breathing room especially at the lower end. That being said Cespedes would still use all of that room and then some and in no way is he worth it. And the Mets are still paying Bonilla and Saberhagen of course.

As a Mets fan I have one final request of Mr. Wilpon. Please move Jackie Robinsons picture from Citi Fields entrance, he was never a Met dam it!! I want to see Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Cleon Jones, Dwight Gooden.

To Hudson: I'll back off on D' Arnaud because he may be able work on his defensive skills. I agree with you he has a good rapport with the young pitchers and he does make contact with the ball. But will you meet me half way and agree in upgrading the SS position, respectfully asking D. Wright to retire and paying for a better CF and 3rd basemen. Should the Mets put Matz on the market to see what they could get for him?

No one can dispute that in this World Series great hitting beat great pitching. The Royals bats clearly dominated our great young pitchers. Should we trade for some clutch hitters?

Wright is not going to be asked to retire. Period. Full Stop.

Whether we all want him to move on is irrelevant. He is not going to retire and they would never, ever consider asking him.

The only way that happens is if he gets major bad news on his condition over the winter or hurts himself rehabbing/working out.

Wright $20M
Granderson $16M
Cuddyer $12.5M
Niese $9M
Lagares $2.5M

I know Francessa is persona non grata around here, but he has been adamant that the Mets will go to harvey this offseason and offer him "life changing money" which would lock him up for 4+ years. He's talking like $60MM for 4-5 years. He feels Harvey would take it because it's a) life changing money and b) starts the clock on his second block buster deal sooner and c) it being in his head that he's already had a Tommy John and why risk injury?

It's certainly interesting

First of all I would hardly say that the Royals "dominated" the Mets young pitching. They hit Degrom the most and that was largely in that one bad inning.

Second thing is I would not trade one of our starters for this reason. Out of the 5, four of them have had TJ surgery with Noah being the only one excluded from that group. So your pitching surplus can be depleted quickly. Marcus Molina who is one of the Mets top pitching prospects is also about to have TJ as a 20 year old. Fulmer is already gone.

Here is the breakdown. Mets are committed for $90 million already.

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-have-roughly-90m-in-commitments-for-2016/

The Mets have roughly $92 million in payroll commitments for 2016, according to ESPN reporter Adam Rubin’s math (Nov. 3).

The number does not include Daniel Murphy, Yoenis Cespedes, Tyler Clippard, Bartolo Colon, Kelly Johnson, Jeremy Blevins, Eric O’Flaherty, Bobby Parnell and Juan Uribe, all of whom filed for free agency earlier this week.

According to SpotRac.com, Sandy Alderson’s $120 million payroll ranked 15 out of 30 teams by the end of 2015 (Nov. 4). The Royals, who won the World Series, were No. 14 with $125 million.

In 2015, the Mets had the second-most expensive infield in baseball, 11th-most expensive outfield, and the 18th-most expensive pitching staff.

The Mets currently have 11 players eligible for salary arbitration, including Matt Harvey, Lucas Duda and Jeurys Familia.

MLB Trade Rumors projects Harvey, who is earning $614,625 this season and won’t be eligible for free agency until 2019, to earn $4.7 million through arbitration. Duda is projected to earn $6.8 million and Familia is projected to earn $3.3 million. The trio combined to earn just $5.5 million in 2015.

Eric Young Jr., Buddy Carlyle, Ruben Tejada, Addison Reed, Carlos Torres, Anthony Recker, Jenrry Mejia and Josh Edgin are all also eligible for arbitration.

I know Francessa is persona non grata around here, but he has been adamant that the Mets will go to harvey this offseason and offer him "life changing money" which would lock him up for 4+ years. He's talking like $60MM for 4-5 years. He feels Harvey would take it because it's a) life changing money and b) starts the clock on his second block buster deal sooner and c) it being in his head that he's already had a Tommy John and why risk injury?

It's certainly interesting
I have always felt that this was Boras' endgame - tell the world how unhappy Harvey is with how he's being handled, and privately tell the Mets "you'd better lock him up now or he's off to the Bronx in three years".

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Isn't Heyward always hurt?
No, not really. This season he played in 154 games, and in 2014 he played in 149. He missed a lot of time in 2013 because Niese broke his jaw in two places with a 90 mph fastball. I see projected contract numbers for Heyward of 9 years/200 million, so he is not going to be a Met anyway.

There is an interesting article at fangraphs about what the Mets might do to make a run at the Series again in 2016. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/can-the-mets-get-back/ It shows what we've been saying here: the hitting holes for next year are in CF and SS or 2B. You can slide Flores to 2B if Murphy is gone. Granderson and Conforto man the corner outfield spots. The three biggest OF bats in free agency are primarily corner outfielders Cespedes, Gordon, and Heyward. The three best bets on the market, according to this article: Ian Desmond, Dexter Fowler, and Ben Zobrist.

I don't want to re-sign Reed. Go get Darren O'Day for the 8th inning.

Reactions: tico brown
I thought boras will not allow his clients to sign deals that extend the year they would otherwise be eligible for free agency! The only issue d at aid is his durability. He is not that big and catching is a tough job 130-40 games a year.

Rumor has it Sandy collapsed after the news conference, but I heard he got hit by Duda's throw.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Royals didn't dominate the series. I know they won in 5, but did you actually watch? They won because of some hideous defense at crucial points in the game.
Do they win game 1 if Cespedes catches a routine flyball? Or Wright's error was correctly scored as an out?
Do they win game 4 if Cespedes doesn't kick Perez hit into left field for a double instead of a single and Murphy cleanly fields the ball hit by Hosmer?
Do they win game 5 if Duda makes a decent throw home?

The Royals didn't dominate the series. I know they won in 5, but did you actually watch? They won because of some hideous defense at crucial points in the game.
Do they win game 1 if Cespedes catches a routine flyball? Or Wright's error was correctly scored as an out?
Do they win game 4 if Cespedes doesn't kick Perez hit into left field for a double instead of a single and Murphy cleanly fields the ball hit by Hosmer?
Do they win game 5 if Duda makes a decent throw home?
I'm sorry Andy but I respectfully disagree with you. I actually watched every game and yes the Mets committed many more errors. But our best pitching could not stop the Royals from rallying with relentless base hits, doubles and a game 1 ninth inning homer that will never be forgotten in KC. This is not me talking but solid BB fans who are students of the game. The Royal bats were experienced and clutch. No real weakness throughout their entire lineup which was the difference in the series. This year they were clearly the better team.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Andy but I respectfully disagree with you. I actually watched every game and yes the Mets committed many more errors. But our best pitching could not stop the Royals from rallying with relentless base hits, doubles and a game 1 ninth inning homer that will never be forgotten in KC. This is not me talking but solid BB fans who are students of the game. The Royal bats were experienced and clutch. No real weakness throughout their entire lineup which was the difference in the series. This year they were clearly the better team.

I think the Royals were the better team and deserved to win, but the Mets also easily could have won the Series. (When a team leads in every game in the Series, you hardly can say it couldn't have won the whole thing.) That's baseball, though.

Reactions: redking
I think you're both right actually. The Royals didn't dominate the series. They were the better team, but that margin wasn't huge. The Mets had a weak infield defense, a center fielder who seems more concerned with golf than baseball and way too many streaky hitters. Despite all that (thanks to that outstanding starting pitching) the Mets had leads in all 5 games.

I think you're both right actually. The Royals didn't dominate the series. They were the better team, but that margin wasn't huge. The Mets had a weak infield defense, a center fielder who seems more concerned with golf than baseball and way too many streaky hitters. Despite all that (thanks to that outstanding starting pitching) the Mets had leads in all 5 games.
7TH inning or later in what, 2 or 3 of them?

I think the Royals were the better team and deserved to win, but the Mets also easily could have won the Series. (When a team leads in every game in the Series, you hardly can say it couldn't have won the whole thing.) That's baseball, though.

Mets fans are soooooo funny.
You DO recall that the Mets beat the Dodgers by ONE run in the fifth game of a five-game playoff series ?
They could just as easily have lost that series, Mattingly could have gone to the World Series, and Collins would be managing the Marlins.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I assume the punk's point is that the Mets-Dodgers was a close series also. Damn wish I had realized that previously. I thought it was a wipeout in spite of being a 5 game out of 5. :rolleyes:

Yes the Dodgers could of won the first series. Also, that was probably the closest 5 game World Series ever, Mets lead 24 innings, Royals lead 13 innings and the teams were tied for the remaining 16 innings. Our starting pitching was fine, it was other areas that let the team down. That being said the Royals were just a more complete baseball team then the Mets this year.

Reactions: redking
Wow 74 pages and they lost!
mets fans need to get some sleep and wait another 30- years or so
nice try but compared to the Yankees they are still in second place

Yeah, but they should have won it all. I mean....they were leading for more innings in the Series than the Royals. That counts for something, doesn't it ?

Last I checked the Mets don't compete with the Yankees unless it happened to be post-season. And as much as I would have liked to have beaten KC this was their year. At the onset of this thread I don't think anyone would have complained if someone's crystal ball had said that the Mets would win their division and make a run all the way to the Fall classic.

Yeah, but they should have won it all. I mean....they were leading for more innings in the Series than the Royals. That counts for something, doesn't it ?

I have no idea have not watched baseball for 40+ years Did not the Royal win right and the mets lost and the "amazing mets" was back in the middle of the last century right?
And don't the Yankees win it like every 5 years or something close to that

Hot stove news to date:

1) As expected, they have made Murphhy a qualifying offer of $15.8 mill for one
year. He has one week to accept. To date (which is three years) no player has ever accepted a qualifying offer. Somebody will be the first. I would not be shocked if it is
Murph.

2) In a mild surprise, Mets outrighted Recker, while keeping Monell on the 40 man.

Did not the Royal win right and the mets lost and the "amazing mets" was back in the middle of the last century right?
And don't the Yankees win it like every 5 years or something close to that
If by "middle of the last century" you mean 1969... and the 1986 team was even further than the middle of the century.

The Yankees have one title in the last 15 years. They were a great team in the late 90s, no doubt.

As far as the comment about Harvey should request a trade to the Yankees or Rangers? As if the Yankees have the resources to trade for him. What could they offer that the Mets would possibly consider?

If by "middle of the last century" you mean 1969... and the 1986 team was even further than the middle of the century.

The Yankees have one title in the last 15 years. They were a great team in the late 90s, no doubt.

As far as the comment about Harvey should request a trade to the Yankees or Rangers? As if the Yankees have the resources to trade for him. What could they offer that the Mets would possibly consider?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They could trade us all those dusty trophies from the 1920's plus a bag full of mystique

Sign Murphy, sign Cespedes = Wins in 2016.

Not brain surgery here, but the Wilpons are lame owners..

Sign Murphy, sign Cespedes = Wins in 2016.

Not brain surgery here, but the Wilpons are lame owners..
Cespedes is too streaky and has low baseball IQ. Murph is the one I'd have thought about keeping, but his defensive liabilities given other possibilities out there leads me to believe he should be left to walk. If he somehow takes the qualifying offer then I'm good with that too, but no one has before.

Reactions: linzalonic
Cespedes is too streaky and has low baseball IQ. Murph is the one I'd have thought about keeping, but his defensive liabilities given other possibilities out there leads me to believe he should be left to walk. If he somehow takes the qualifying offer then I'm good with that too, but no one has before.

Cespedes led the Mets to the World Series. The Mets were dead before his arrival. Agreed he is some what of a inigma, but his bat anchors the lineup and protects other hitters. The Mets should offer him a very large (5-tool player here) contract, but if he wants mega +millions let him walk. If he wants to win he should sign with the Mets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT