ADVERTISEMENT

OT:LET'S GO METS

Right. Top 30 guys in trade value are traded for cash all the time. [roll]
If somehow the Mets and Yankees did reach agreement on a straight cash deal for Harvey, the Commissioner would certainly void it. This precedent goes back over 40 years, back to Bowie Kuhn and Charlie Finley.

The days of Harry Frazee selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees are long gone.

Wow 74 pages and they lost!
mets fans need to get some sleep and wait another 30- years or so
nice try but compared to the Yankees they are still in second place
So go post about the Yankees in a Yankee thread.

And here come the Yankee fans who were no where on this thread during the World Series lol.

We allowed you your moment.
It's over. Let go Mets.
Just be thankful that this time at least it wasn't the Yankees that beat you in 5.

I think I'm supposed to be honored with you acknowledeging my post. Instead I'll wipe my arse with what you got to say about me.

I know the Mets don't have rings from days before Jackie Robinson, expansion, and free agency. Only Giants, Red Sox, and Cardinals fans should talk smack. You know the teams who have won at least two rings in this century.

Adios

Reactions: MikeR0102
In Wilpons I do not trust.

Can Doubleday or similar buy back this franchise? Oy vey

DeGrom, Harvey, Syndergaard, Matz, Wheeler could potentially be the Atlanta Braves rotation of the 90s but the Wilpons will still be cheap about paying these guys. This could the best starting rotation in MLB for 10+ years. I don't like the Yankees but if the Steinbrenners owned the Mets, then there would be no concern about money for keeping these guys together.

Reactions: tico brown
Yeah but Steinbeck er would've traded away 2 or three of these starters for a big name or two.

Cespedes is just not Alderson's type of player. Little plate discipline, diva-like tendencies, erratic defense, streaky offense. Something Alderson could live with for 1/4 of a season and it paid off big. Committing to this for a substantial period of time flies in the face of what Alderson has done for his whole career.

Reactions: linzalonic
Cespedes is just not Alderson's type of player. Little plate discipline, diva-like tendencies, erratic defense, streaky offense. Something Alderson could live with for 1/4 of a season and it paid off big. Committing to this for a substantial period of time flies in the face of what Alderson has done for his whole career.
And you forgot - he's lazy

The only way the Mets wI'll pay for Cespedes is if he plays for $15/hr... maybe. Besides, Cespedes' penchant for playing golf during the playoffs, not running out dropped third strikes, and other things gave the Mets that excuse not to make this a no brainer signing. And yes I wish he would go back to Queens but he's not so there.

As stated very early in this thread is that it strange the Cespedes has been on so many teams in his short career. And now can't get a deal in a very weak free agent market. There has to be more to his story than is out there.

We hear a lot about Sandy-type players, he doesn't seem to acquire many of them, though.

I have to admit while I have been critical of the Mets for their approach to resigning Cespedes, it is telling that the Tigers chose Upton over him. I still think he is worth a significant short term offer but it will be interesting to see where he winds up.

This past summer I was hoping the Mets would acquire Cespedes for the stretch run, and it worked out great. A good hitter caught lightning in a bottle & became great for two months. But I'm really happy that we haven't re-signed him. This dude has more red flags than the Yellow lot on gameday. Not running out grounders (or pop-ups in the World Series!); inexplicably not backing up his CF on a fly off the wall (he didn't move an inch). And his walk rate is what, 4%? Mets can do better.

I think the Mets are probably a little stunned that they were able to get this done. No way you sign D'Anza earlier if you think this is possible. Potential fan backlash of him signing with DC played a significant role here.

Please let Wheeler come back as our #5 in July. I need to see:

DeGrom
Harvey
Syndergaard
Matz
Wheeler

MLB.COM REPORTING THAT METS HAVE RE-SIGNED CESPEDES!!!

Three years, $75MM, with a full no-trade, and (and this is key) a player option to void the deal after one year. EDIT: Sorry, did not see separate thread on this topic.

Can't argue with a 3-year contract. Just hope he doesn't cause any locker room issues.

Love the pick ups this year at SS, 2B, OF & the lefty reliever they recently signed. Can't wait to see Wheeler back and a full season of Matz.

Can't argue with a 3-year contract. Just hope he doesn't cause any locker room issues.

Love the pick ups this year at SS, 2B, OF & the lefty reliever they recently signed. Can't wait to see Wheeler back and a full season of Matz.
And the ability to turn a double play is going to be so helpful..Murphy was dreadful at 2nd base.Just have to teach our pitchers how to hold runners.

I'm so freaking glad I was wrong about Cespedes not coming back. Now I just wish I would've gotten one of those $30 Cespedes jerseys in Modells in December.

Oh well, LETS GO METS!!!

Pretty smart move by Alderson. Cespedes can opt out of the contract and be a free agent next year. Somehow I think he will be a very motivated player in 2016 as well. And if he bombs, the Mets aren't stuck for 5 years or more ala George Foster.

I haven't heard one single thing about him causing any locker room issues. In fact the only thing I read was that Noah was so excited about him returning that he wants to get an apartment with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT