ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Which two teams should get the final playoff spots?

Which two teams should get the final playoff spots?

• FSU and Texas

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • FSU and Alabama

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • FSU and Georgia

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Texas and Alabama

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Texas and Georgia

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Alabama and Georgia

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
I think we all agree that Michigan and Washington are in. Who should join them? Note that I am asking for your opinion on what SHOULD happen, not your prediction of what WILL happen.

Bama started out meek but came on strong and thrashed some teams.
I think they are better than Texas and FSU now despite losing to Texas 2nd week in Sept.

Can't stand the fact Washington is in it. Garbage, inferior conference. Guaranteed they'll get smoked.

My four would be GA, Bama, FSU and Michigan

• Haha
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why even play regular season games, just skip those pesky games and go right to who you “feel” should be in

Has nothing to do with "feel."
One of the best teams I saw in last 20 years was the 2014 Ohio St team (had Zeke Elliott and Joey Bosa).
They stuffed a good Oregon team 42-20 for NC.
The game before that they sent a half dozen Bama players to the tent and some to the hospital.
OSU had lost to Virginia Tech in 2nd game of 2014 season.
Some good teams take a stumble early and some wear down late.

Bama lost good players to the portal while Texas got tOSU's Quinn Ewers (Ohio St loses some great QBs).
Texas still lost to Oklahoma and almost lost to Kansas St (OT game) and TCU.
As usual there are a couple of superior teams like Michigan and Washington and then there is a slurry of good but not great teams. Bama and Texas are in the last group but I would be surprised if Texas beat Bama at this point

Reactions: cicero grimes
Only because Texas is joining the SEC will they get this spot. If they weren’t going to SEC it would go to Alabama. Michigan Washington Florida State Texas

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I voted FSU and Texas. Would love to see it so that SEC is shut out.
Obviously FSU is the pink elephant in the room. By the time the playoffs start, the back up QB will be ready and they ll have several weeks to learn the offense better.
With the playoffs expanding to 12 teams next year, what we’re specifically discussing won’t be an issue but my vote is because of the following:
- You can’t exclude a p5 undefeated school despite Travis’ injury and how pathetic the ACC is
- Texas beat Bama head to head in Bama.

I voted FSU and Texas. Would love to see it so that SEC is shut out.
Obviously FSU is the pink elephant in the room. By the time the playoffs start, the back up QB will be ready and they ll have several weeks to learn the offense better.
With the playoffs expanding to 12 teams next year, what we’re specifically discussing won’t be an issue but my vote is because of the following:
- You can’t exclude a p5 undefeated school despite Travis’ injury and how pathetic the ACC is
- Texas beat Bama head to head in Bama.
Actually, what we are discussing now WILL be an issue next year, but on a much smaller scale. Next year we will be discussing which four teams should get byes.

Why even play regular season games, just skip those pesky games and go right to who you “feel” should be in
Interesting point. There are different ways for the committee to look at this.

* Backwards looking - who has the best body of work?

* Present looking - who do we think are the best four teams right now?

* Forward looking - what matchups do we think will produce the best games and hold the TV audience?

I don't know what the formal standards for the committee are. Nor does it matter. They will do what they want to do.

The NFL doesn't care about things like who you feel should be in. Every team that gets into the playoffs gets in on merit. Did you play a tougher schedule and got left out because you played every game close but lost just one more than another team that got in? Sorry, you should have done better.

You go undefeated and you keep playing until you do get beaten. (sorry Liberty, you play in a different division. ) and you lost to another team in the regular season? Well there is your head 2 head tiebreaker, which is always 1st tiebreaker in the NFL. Should have won that game.

It's going to be fun watching the SEC threaten to SECeed when they get left out.

The NFL doesn't care about things like who you feel should be in. Every team that gets into the playoffs gets in on merit. Did you play a tougher schedule and got left out because you played every game close but lost just one more than another team that got in? Sorry, you should have done better.

You go undefeated and you keep playing until you do get beaten. (sorry Liberty, you play in a different division. ) and you lost to another team in the regular season? Well there is your head 2 head tiebreaker, which is always 1st tiebreaker in the NFL. Should have won that game.

It's going to be fun watching the SEC threaten to SECeed when they get left out.

Great post except Liberty DOESN'T play in a different division.
"P5" and "Non P5" aren't real divisions.
FBS and FCS are divisions.

Actually, what we are discussing now WILL be an issue next year, but on a much smaller scale. Next year we will be discussing which four teams should get byes.

It gets a little easier though.
Top 4 seeds (Bye) HAVE to be conference champions - which a whole other dumb rule.

ND could go 12-0 with the #1 SOS
Every other team could be 12-1 or worse and ND couldn't be a Top 4 seed.

Last edited:
FSU, Michigan, Alabama, Texas. It's refreshing to see such new teams being considered for the playoff round...
Actually, in the nine years that the four team playoff has been in place, Texas has never been selected.

Actually, in the nine years that the four team playoff has been in place, Texas has never been selected.
Yep I don't see his point either. FSU hasn't been in the convo for a spot in a decade. And Michigan is a newbie themselves - last 3 years sure but before that?

Texas and FSU in that order. Can't exclude undefeated P5 champs, what if they were and then win their bowl - controversy. Unfortunately this may leave the two best teams in the country out in Bama and Georgia but the whole season has to be considered. Bama did step up with the tough OOC against Texas but lost so Texas goes before them, and if offensive PI is properly called on their last play against Auburn they have two losses. Georgia too soft OOC and not conf champ. Can make an argument for OSU as only loss is close to number 1 away and nice OOC against ND but everyone else conf champs with 12 or 13 wins.

SEC will clean up during bowl season because no one in playoff and they will face lower ranked teams, and then point to this as a reason for the error of being excluded. Next year will be so much better.

I hope the committee is prepared for withering criticism. Two very deserving teams are going to get left out, no matter who they decide is deserving. I hope FSU does not get left out as some have suggested. They are undefeated and a major conf champion.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Would they have left out a Big Ten team if Michigan lost and Michigan and Ohio State both had 1 lost? Why are they making an exception to ensure a SEC team is in the playoff?

The committee should just ask Michigan who they want to play (clearly FSU) and then eliminate that team from contention.

I wouldn't want to play Texas right now. They could definitely win the whole thing. It's not a vintage Bama squad but over FSU? I don't think it's really a question. Honestly why is OSU not in the conversation themselves? Their only blemish is a loss at #1 where they were arguably the better team.

To me - FSU (without their qb) is behind all those teams and Oregon. Forget about top 4.

Ohio State's only loss came against Michigan at Michigan and was an under one score loss. They have two quality wins. I'd put them in, but that means two B1G teams, and leaving some conference out. So the committee will chicken out from this choice.

I'd put OSU and Texas in.

The committee will go for FSU and Texas.
Every result yesterday went against OSU getting in. it's not gonna happen and it shouldn't.

and don't be surprised if their three offensive weapons don't play in their bowl game because they're going pro.

FSU will get the screw in spite of an undefeated season....they're looking for the best 4, not necesarily the perfect record. Texas will be #3 vs. Washington and Michigan vs Alabama. FSU and Georgia at 5 and 6.

tOSU, and Texas. Simply to shut out the SEC.

XuaghGN.png

I pick the two that gets us moved up a spot (or two) in the B1G bowl line up.

The McMurphy guy tweeted out a scenario where that could happen…the B1G keeps Tampa and everyone else is bumped up a slot.

FWIW (which could be nothing) I have linked the official Selection Committee criteria. Four specific criteria are stated to decide between comparable teams

* Championships won
* Strength of schedule
* Head to Head
* Results against common opponents.

The key word is "comparable". The committee decides what "comparable" means. If they decide that teams are not comparable, they don't have to apply any of the above standards.

In other words, they can do whatever they want.

FSU will get the screw in spite of an undefeated season....they're looking for the best 4, not necesarily the perfect record. Texas will be #3 vs. Washington and Michigan vs Alabama. FSU and Georgia at 5 and 6.
I think this is very likely. I think the committee will use the Travis injury as a reason they leave FSU out. I don’t particularly like the phrase “they pass the eye test”. That is a very subjective thing. I lean more toward “most deserving” rather than “best”. The best team doesn’t always win. What happens on the field has to be heavily considered. Otherwise, let Vegas or NFL scouts tell you who “the best” team is and we can crown the champion and don’t bother with the playoff.

This much disagreement just proves how stupid it is to have teams hand-picked by a committee rather than advancing through a clearly defined qualification process. No matter which teams are chosen, there are going to be multiple teams that have a good case for why they were screwed. With the PAC-12 folding, the solution becomes even easier. Just take the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Big XII champions. You essentially expand the playoffs to 8 teams that way because the conference championship games become the first round of the playoffs. The other conferences should really just form their own playoff. No more committees, no more teams getting snubbed, you just get to the next stage of the playoffs by winning your way through the previous round, just like we do in almost every other sport league.

Last edited:
FSU - Undefeated Conference Champ
Texas - Conf Champ and beat Bama on the road

It is hard to imagine this is not the right answer. But college foot is a business first and a game second, so they are probably figuring out which combo makes more $$

The SEC would secede from the NCAA if they don’t have at least one team in the playoff. It just so happens that the scheduling made it this way (but Washington did travel to Michigan St in September lol). Interesting that Texas got to play a Big12 schedule (road win at Bama notwithstanding) despite transitioning to the SEC for what seems like the past 5 years or so. This season demands a 7 team playoff field.

Reactions: NickRU714
The SEC would secede from the NCAA if they don’t have at least one team in the playoff. It just so happens that the scheduling made it this way (but Washington did travel to Michigan St in September lol). Interesting that Texas got to play a Big12 schedule (road win at Bama notwithstanding) despite transitioning to the SEC for what seems like the past 5 years or so. This season demands a 7 team playoff field.

If FSU (and others it seems) want a "undefeated P5 (and not G5) must be in" then they should secede from the NCAA as well.

Relegate all the G5 teams to FCS if they want different rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT